Options

365 Portrait Lighting Project

Comments

• Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I'm in love......with the lighting. for the heck of it try the exact same setup and pose just put the main on the left side but keep the exact pose. You'll get a short light and see if you like the results better.

this thread is super.

Darn Hack... I read this after I took today's photo or I would have don't just what you suggested. However, I did shoot her with short lighting of sorts but a different pose and slightly different setup.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Day 8 - Short Lighting-ish

Decided to use the posing table today and also to include one of the grids as a prop.

3-Light Setup

Key Light - 30x60" Softbox set @ f/5.6 to camera right
    1 Kicker - Large gridded strip boxes @ camera Left set @ f/4
    Hair Light - AB400 with 20 degree grid directly over head on boom; around f/4 or so
    Fill Light - Large round white reflector to camera left

lighting-diagram-1359333960-L.png

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 110mm
    DSC_9085-Edit-X2.jpg

And a second tighter shot with the softbox:

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 200mm
    DSC_9080-Edit-2-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    Love the color, exposure and lighting. I'm gonna pick on ya, watch out for splayed fingers. Minnie Mouse only has three fingers so keep the third and fourth one together, stupid but it does look better. Go figure.

PS thinking more, does the light prop help or hurt the image?
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2013
    Love the color, exposure and lighting. I'm gonna pick on ya, watch out for splayed fingers. Minnie Mouse only has three fingers so keep the third and fourth one together, stupid but it does look better. Go figure.

PS thinking more, does the light prop help or hurt the image?

Thanks Hack. I want you to pick on me. I'm only on Day 8 and I've learned so much already. I know you've mentioned the fingers before and sometimes I don't agree entirely with you on it. This time I think I do. Will watch for that in the future.

As for the light in the shot, I'm on the fence about it. I like it but I can see how some may not. Here is a slightly different crop that down plays the box a bit. Not sure I like it more though:

DSC_9085-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2013
    Turn the image upside down and where your eye go?
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2013
    This is a great series. On the light - maybe it bugs you because you know what it is? My wife had no idea what it was and thought it looked cool. Some times we forget that our gear is kinda cool - ya know?

I hope you plan on making this post sticky, and I hope that you'll never-ever delete these images because downloading 1095 pictures of your wife so I can look at them later would be... well... a little creepy. :D
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    What a fantastic thread! Great shots, diagrams, explanations & feedback - Thanks!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Turn the image upside down and where your eye go?

Tried it. My eyes focus on her still but it could be because I want them to go there. Not sure. ne_nau.gif I don't think it's too objectionable having the light in the scene so I don't mind it too much. I am going to try one of those flare shots this week. Maybe tomorrow.
    RyanS wrote: »
    This is a great series. On the light - maybe it bugs you because you know what it is? My wife had no idea what it was and thought it looked cool. Some times we forget that our gear is kinda cool - ya know?

I hope you plan on making this post sticky, and I hope that you'll never-ever delete these images because downloading 1095 pictures of your wife so I can look at them later would be... well... a little creepy. :D

Yeah. Sometimes we analyze things too much from a photographer's perspective and forget that 99% of the people viewing the image will have no clue about a lot of the things we fuss about. However, we are supposed to be the professional so we do have to look at photos with a critical eye.

Not sure about sticky-ing it though. I don't want to make it seem like I'm abusing my sticky-powers. I already feel like I'm spamming the forum by posting so many photos in this thread.
    cbbr wrote: »
    What a fantastic thread! Great shots, diagrams, explanations & feedback - Thanks!

Glad you like it. Hopefully I'll see this project through till the end. I'm loving it so far.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    John!John! Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    Not sure about sticky-ing it though. I don't want to make it seem like I'm abusing my sticky-powers. I already feel like I'm spamming the forum by posting so many photos in this thread. ...

Personally I think it would be ok, even appropriate to sticky it. Very informative, and I believe many are learning an awful lot here. I know I am. thumb.gif
    John

"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013

Not sure about sticky-ing it though. I don't want to make it seem like I'm abusing my sticky-powers. I already feel like I'm spamming the forum by posting so many photos in this thread.

This is definitely NOT spam! It's threads like this one that really make it possible to learn from this forum. It has all the benefits of the "pull backs" sticky with additional discussion and incremental changes to the light using the same model, and so far it looks like the same location (your living room). I think that this is most informative. The trick will be getting your wife to put up with it another 357 times. :D

Whether you sticky it or not is up to you, but I'm looking forward to seeing all 365 days. thumb.gif
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    OK. One more vote to sticky and I will. Will post today's photo later. Went with Hack's suggestion of doing same pose, same setup as Day 7's pic but moved the main to camera left so she is short lit.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    sticky!
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Another - Sticky! Threads like this with so much actual content are the best to learn from.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    It's stuck!

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Day 9 - More Short Lighting

Hack suggested I shoot the exact same pose and light setup as day 6, but with the key light swapped to the opposite side so her face is short lit. For those that don't know, short lighting is where the main (key) light lights the side of the face that is facing away from the camera. This lighting is effective at slimming the face so it's useful for shooting people with wide/oval-shaped faces. It's slimming because the camera-side of the face is in shadow.

3-Light Setup

Key Light - 30x60" Softbox set @ f/5.6 to camera left
    1 Kicker - Large gridded strip boxes @ camera right set @ f/4
    Hair Light - AB400 with 20 degree grid directly over head on boom; around f/4 or so
    Fill Light - Large round white reflector to camera right

lighting-diagram-1359403675-L.png

DSC_9104-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2013
    ^^ This last is my favorite lighting setup so far (not that they haven't all been good - they have - this one is just a look I particularly like. I always like reflected fill, I think).

Gonna pipe up and nit the pose on this one, though - something about where the shoulder is cropped + where her boob is in the frame + the batwing sleeve conspire to make her look waayyyy bigger than we know her to be....

Also, let me add my clap.gif to this thread in general - it's awesome!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    ^^ This last is my favorite lighting setup so far (not that they haven't all been good - they have - this one is just a look I particularly like. I always like reflected fill, I think).

Gonna pipe up and nit the pose on this one, though - something about where the shoulder is cropped + where her boob is in the frame + the batwing sleeve conspire to make her look waayyyy bigger than we know her to be....

Also, let me add my clap.gif to this thread in general - it's awesome!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks for chiming in Diva. I agree with you. The comp is straight out of camera and it didn't bug me until after I posted it. Was waiting to see if anyone else said anything about it. Here is a different crop that I think you'll like better:

DSC_9104-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Something about the positioning of her head and shoulders. The shoulders seem to be stiff and not relaxed. I let my clients know that at times I will touch them in an appropriate manner, then I will push on their lower spine and they will pop right up and not slouch. At times I will gently push down on their shoulders and tell them to relax. She does not seem relaxed or she has alot of padding in the shoulder.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2013
    Hmm... She didn't seem any less/more stiff/relaxed than usual. We did lift weights this morning, just before the photos so maybe she's pumped. Laughing.gif.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Day 10 - Running Out of Titles

Yesterday, it only took me 3 shots to get the photo I wanted. Today, I took 12 frames and had a really hard time selecting one out of the 12 so I'm going to post two. I'm not sure if it's that I'm getting more proficient or just dumb luck but it's nice to get so many keepers from so little frames. Not too different a setup today... leaving the more difficult/involved ideas for the weekend when I have more time. I do like today's shot though. Like the overall tone of them. I also got a little bit of flare going from the right kicker. I was going to flag it but I kind of like it.

Oh... and hopefully my posing is improving. We'll see what Hack thinks.

3-Light Setup

Kicker Left and Right - Large gridded strip boxes from behind and @ camera right and left set @ f/4

lighting-diagram-1359495118-L.png

DSC_9133-Edit-X2.jpg

Noticed that when I pulled back to get her in 3/4 length, it introduced some flare from the kicker on the right. It's subtle but there and noted by the reduced contrast from the head shot.

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 95mm
    DSC_9146-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Lighting is super....here is what I would have done......find the five things.

i-LPx9Gn8-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    I did this in a hurry but other talented retouchers would do much better. I did add a vignette as I love how it seems to draw the colors out rather than just a straight bkg. But these are my opinions so do what you want with them. What mm on the lens?

i-5PR7Dd9-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2013
    Very cool Hack. Like the edits you made. Gonna have to do them myself tonight now that you pointed those issues out. I can't stop noticing them. Laughing.gif.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Hey Hack... check out the new edit of the second pick in the original Day 10 post above.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Alex, the same one seems to be showing up on my monitor????
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    It's probably cached on your machine. Here is the new edit just in case. I probably could also clean up the one thick strand of hairs from her bangs but it doesn't bother that much:

DSC_9146-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    One lucky guy!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2013
    Thanks Hack. She's a dime, that's for sure.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    Day 11 - Her New Sweater

My wife gets at least one package from Nordstroms everyday. Last night when we got home, this sweater was waiting inside a box on our porch. She modeled it for me this morning so we decided to use it in today's photo. We tried some standing poses today which is what we both seem to struggle the most with.

3-Light Setup

Kicker Left and Right - Large gridded strip boxes from behind and @ camera right and left set @ f/4

lighting-diagram-1359495118-L.png

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 135mm
    DSC_9184-Edit-X2.jpg

D700: 1/250 @ f/5.6 ISO 100 | 70-200mm f/2.8: 175mm
    DSC_9185-Edit-2-X2.jpg

Same shot as above but different crop
    DSC_9185-Edit-X2.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    Nice work as usual! Now that you guys have my full attention and I am hoping to learn, I hope that you don't mind if I join in the critique. One small nit - in the first shot her right wrist is bent a bit severely. A more gradual bend would look less painful.
    Chad - www.brberrys.com