Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    DanPorterDanPorter Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dan, try to replicate the problem. We fixed this last night, we're pretty certain. Pls test again on your site and let me know if you have troubles. BTW, don't forget: clear all your cookies, logout, etc.

Andy,
    It looks like it's working just fine now. Thanks for the quick response- on a weekend no-less.
    Dan
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2006
    DanPorter wrote:
    Andy,
    It looks like it's working just fine now. Thanks for the quick response- on a weekend no-less.
    Dan

wave.gif thanks for letting us know, Dan! Weekend? eek7.gif What's that? We're here for you 365 days a year :D Glad it's fixed - whew.
  • Options
    smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    keyword bugs
    Hey guys. Keywords are getting me awfully frustrated. "chicago" and "paris" in particular. I rely on these two a lot to direct people to my photos. This week, I have not been able to view them. If I click on either one, the page tries to load 8 gallizion photos, lags, and locks up my browser. If I walk away for a half hour it will load about half the photos but will lag again and lock up if I click on a thumbnail to enlarge it.
    Is anything in the works to fix this problem when there are so many photos involved. Pages? Also I tried to click on the popular photos for chicago and it is so busy trying to load 15,000 photos that it crashes my browser.

HELP!bncry.gif
    Thanks
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    Hey guys. Keywords are getting me awfully frustrated. "chicago" and "paris" in particular. I rely on these two a lot to direct people to my photos. This week, I have not been able to view them. If I click on either one, the page tries to load 8 gallizion photos, lags, and locks up my browser. If I walk away for a half hour it will load about half the photos but will lag again and lock up if I click on a thumbnail to enlarge it.
    Is anything in the works to fix this problem when there are so many photos involved. Pages? Also I tried to click on the popular photos for chicago and it is so busy trying to load 15,000 photos that it crashes my browser.

HELP!bncry.gif
    Thanks

Hi, I just clicked the "keyword" in your navbar, then chicago, and I see a total of 199 images. ne_nau.gif

If you are searching in ALL of SmugMug then you'll want to be sure that before you do that, your last gallery view style was NOT all-thumbs.

I'll see about possibly preventing that somehow automatically It can overwhelm a browser.

BTW, I noticed that on your site, the © (Copyright 2002 Shawna Seto Photography) is flush left, do you want help centering that?
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    'Other' Category
    If you have galleries in category Other, be careful when you Customize Gallery to set gallery options, the Category will be set to Animals.

Apparently there is some new logic to keep new galleries from defaulting to category Other, but there is a side effect with legitimate galleries in the Other category. When you hit Customize Gallery, the current category (Other) is not remembered and thus, the first category (Animals) is there instead... you hit save and voila, the gallery is in Animals category. rolleyes1.gif

Should Other not be used? Should I create a My Other category?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2006
    dmc wrote:

Should Other not be used? Should I create a My Other category?

"Other" can indeed be used. Because of some new integration with Communities, we no longer default new gallery creation to "other" - you MUST choose a category, which may be "other" or any other category.

This "side effect" is not real cool though, and I'll ask Onethumb about it. We should be able to remember "other" if you've already set it.

Sorry for the trouble, and thanks for bringing it to our attention. I'm bugging it unless otherwise noted.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    There's some faulty stat stuff going on when the amount of small-hits is bigger than the number of tiny+thumb-hits. Results in a cut off graph - for details look here.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    RedhedRedhed Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Similar to dmc's post above: I don't like how categories default to Animals now. You should have a [select category] option first so that shows when you make a new gallery...if people don't select one, have a message pop up that says "you must select a category".

Also...can you put the categories in alphabetical order? It's tough to find the one you're looking for when they're in no particular order.

Keep up the great work :)
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2006
    Redhed wrote:
    Also...can you put the categories in alphabetical order? It's tough to find the one you're looking for when they're in no particular order.

Keep up the great work :)
    Trick: dropdown the list: hit "p" on your keyboard - and you'll go to the first "p" category. Keep hitting "p" til you get the one you want.
  • Options
    HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Links List No Longer Provided?
    I have one private gallery where I keep linkable photos. When logged in and viewing these photos, the list of links to the various sizes no longer is available.

Was there a recent change regarding this feature?

I can still create a link using my account info and the picture number, and the link works, but the list that was provided is no longer there or the link to bring up the list of links.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    HDVideo wrote:
    I have one private gallery where I keep linkable photos. When logged in and viewing these photos, the list of links to the various sizes no longer is available.

Was there a recent change regarding this feature?

I can still create a link using my account info and the picture number, and the link works, but the list that was provided is no longer there or the link to bring up the list of links.

Thanks,

Not a bug. You had "easy sharing" turned off. I put it back on for you.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I just clicked the "keyword" in your navbar, then chicago, and I see a total of 199 images. ne_nau.gif

If you are searching in ALL of SmugMug then you'll want to be sure that before you do that, your last gallery view style was NOT all-thumbs.

I'll see about possibly preventing that somehow automatically It can overwhelm a browser.

BTW, I noticed that on your site, the © (Copyright 2002 Shawna Seto Photography) is flush left, do you want help centering that?

Andy
    Your so smart. rolleyes1.gif Yep I always browse keywords in all-thumbs. Good to know that I can fix that but it would be nice if when you are searching ALL of Smugmug it would default to something more user friendly and not whatever my last gallery view was. Just a thought.
    Yes that stupid copyright was bugging me (the way it looks) Help! I also wanted to add a search to my navbar but I am not sure how.
    Thanks
    Shawna
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    If you have galleries in category Other, be careful when you Customize Gallery to set gallery options, the Category will be set to Animals.

Apparently there is some new logic to keep new galleries from defaulting to category Other, but there is a side effect with legitimate galleries in the Other category. When you hit Customize Gallery, the current category (Other) is not remembered and thus, the first category (Animals) is there instead... you hit save and voila, the gallery is in Animals category. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for pointing that out. I couldn't figure out why those galleries kept changing to animals. How annoying!
    Shawna
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy
    Your so smart. rolleyes1.gif Yep I always browse keywords in all-thumbs. Good to know that I can fix that but it would be nice if when you are searching ALL of Smugmug it would default to something more user friendly and not whatever my last gallery view was. Just a thought.
    Yes that stupid copyright was bugging me (the way it looks) Help! I also wanted to add a search to my navbar but I am not sure how.
    Thanks
    Shawna

wave.gif Hi Shawna :D

Search in navbar - done thumb.gif
    Copyright centered - done thumb.gif
  • Options
    HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Not a bug. You had "easy sharing" turned off. I put it back on for you.
    I'm not sure how it got turned off, but I should have caught that one myself. Thanks for correcting it for me.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hi Shawna :D

Search in navbar - done thumb.gif
    Copyright centered - done thumb.gif

Thank you thank you thank youiloveyou.gif
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Disappearing photo
    Andy wrote:
    Please place any bug reports here. Thank you.

A photo disappeared from one of my galleries today. I can tell you what I did when it disappeared, but I don't know if that's the direct cause or not.

I had just uploaded the photo. It showed in the gallery as the gears icon because it hasn't yet finished generating the smaller sizes. While in that state, I added a caption to the image. After hitting "Save" to save the caption, the image was nowhere in the gallery. Gone. I had to re-upload it again.

I guess I can refrain from adding a description until the full image shows up to avoid this, but something is probably amiss if I'm either allowed to change the description in this state or if the image disappears after doing so.

It happened in this gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/gallery/1368460 and it happened to the last photo in the gallery. It only appears there now because I re-uploaded it after it disappeared.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Not sure how much it gets used but the make 2nd copy feature seems buggy to me. Here's how I can replicate the issue on my site.

1. Navigate to a gallery and select a picture.
    2. From the photo tools drop down select "Make 2nd Copy".
    3. Wait a second for the page to reload and to see that there is no 2nd copy in the gallery.
    4. Navigate to the picture again and then select "Make 2nd Copy" once more.
    5. Wait a second for the page to reload and see 2nd copy in gallery.
    6. Click on photo tools and move 2nd copy to another gallery (why I found this in the first place).
    7. Check back in to the 1st gallery and notice that there are still 2 copies of the pic I just moved to another gallery. That brings the total number of copies to 3.
    8. Sigh and delete the extra copy in the gallery.

I've tried refreshing the browser, navigating away from the gallery and then back into the gallery, and everything else I could think of. No luck.
    i've been doing a fair amount of making 2nd copies over the past few weeks, and have consistently been experiencing exactly the same symptoms as you Mike (Firefox, I.E. no difference)

for the SM gurus looking into this, one further observation is that after going through steps 1-5 above on photo A, if i then do a "make 2nd copy " on photo B in the same gallery, once the screen refreshes back to the gallery view, i notice that photo A's second copy has magically appeared and photo B is still only appearing one time. it's as if the subsequent "make 2nd copy" command gives the final push to the previous issue of the command to actually complete. i can even wait a couple of minutes between making the copy of photos A & B, but the same thing happens. weird... but consistent!

thanks for looking into it. (oh... andy - i promise i'm not crying wolf this time!)

thumb.gif

j
    photoblog, travel and street photography - james calder
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 17, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Not sure how much it gets used but the make 2nd copy feature seems buggy to me. Here's how I can replicate the issue on my site.

1. Navigate to a gallery and select a picture.
    2. From the photo tools drop down select "Make 2nd Copy".
    3. Wait a second for the page to reload and to see that there is no 2nd copy in the gallery.
    4. Navigate to the picture again and then select "Make 2nd Copy" once more.
    5. Wait a second for the page to reload and see 2nd copy in gallery.
    6. Click on photo tools and move 2nd copy to another gallery (why I found this in the first place).
    7. Check back in to the 1st gallery and notice that there are still 2 copies of the pic I just moved to another gallery. That brings the total number of copies to 3.
    8. Sigh and delete the extra copy in the gallery.

I've tried refreshing the browser, navigating away from the gallery and then back into the gallery, and everything else I could think of. No luck.
    i put in another vote for this one. same thing happened to me.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    No photos show in my galleries in firefox but fine in other browsers.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    No photos show in my galleries in firefox but fine in other browsers.

Not a bug. I can see your galleries just fine in FF 1.5. Eric, clear your cache (all temp files) delete your smugmug cookies, log out, close browser, and reopen, log in.

ear.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    comment link in keyword galleries gives bad url:

http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com/keyword/thumbs%20up/3/17141571

clicking the 'comments' link under the photo attempts to take me to this url: http://bigwebguy.smugmug.comhttp//BigWebGuy.smugmug.com/keyword/thumbs%20up/3/17141571/Medium#comment
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    comment link in keyword galleries gives bad url:

http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com/keyword/thumbs%20up/3/17141571

clicking the 'comments' link under the photo attempts to take me to this url: http://bigwebguy.smugmug.comhttp//BigWebGuy.smugmug.com/keyword/thumbs%20up/3/17141571/Medium#comment

Which viewing style? It's important... thanks and then I'll bug it..
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    i see it happening in FF only, in smugmug small only.
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:

smugmug small

FF and IE
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    and a question more than a bug report...but why does only smugmug style show 'related keywords' and 'combine with' for keyword pages?

didnt that used to show on all the gallery styles?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    smugmug small

FF and IE
    Yeah, sorry, i meant to say i tested it in FF only
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    smugmug small

FF and IE

Thanks, I've confirmed it, and bugged it.
  • Options
    razerrazer Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Not sure if its a bug or not but in the last week when i go into a gallery it sometimes comes up as slideshow style even though it is set to default (my default being smugmug gradient)

Its happened several times today whilst tinkering with my site and happens most on the 'popular' photos gallery (click on slideshow for direct link to the popular photos)

my site is here;

www.razer.smugmug.com

Also just a quick thanks to those who have helped me over the past few days with site tinkering, andy and bigwebguy especially thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2006
    razer wrote:
    Not sure if its a bug or not but in the last week when i go into a gallery it sometimes comes up as slideshow style even though it is set to default (my default being smugmug gradient)

Its happened several times today whilst tinkering with my site and happens most on the 'popular' photos gallery (click on slideshow for direct link to the popular photos)

my site is here;

www.razer.smugmug.com

Also just a quick thanks to those who have helped me over the past few days with site tinkering, andy and bigwebguy especially thumb.gif

Not a bug. "Slideshow Style" is not a theme choice, it's a viewing style choice, we remember your last viewing style via a cookie -- so if you last looked via slideshow, then the next time you go to a gallery, you'll get slideshow.

wave.gif
This discussion has been closed.