Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    MarkSB wrote:
    Thanks, Andy, tried it just now, but, still no script showing with Firefox.

You know, I removed it, right?
  • Options
    MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You know, I removed it, right?

I understand, you removed the video, I am saying: there is NO script showing, nothing, nada blank windows...when I go to the custom settings page to change or insert html ...nothing there...???

There is nothing, this was what I found when I went to remove the video html before posting today.
    There is no info about the banner, or any other custom effects I had inserted, for example, the banner is still there, but the html code is not on the customization page, nothing. It's there with IE, but not Firefox...?
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    MarkSB wrote:
    I understand, you removed the video, I am saying: there is NO script showing, nothing, nada blank windows...when I go to the custom settings page to change or insert html ...nothing there...???

There is nothing, this was what I found when I went to remove the video html before posting today.
    There is no info about the banner, or any other custom effects I had inserted, for example, the banner is still there, but the html code is not on the customization page, nothing. It's there with IE, but not Firefox...?
    Why not trash Firefox and reinstall - sounds like something's just wrong with firefox.
  • Options
    MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Why not trash Firefox and reinstall - sounds like something's just wrong with firefox.

Guess so, thanks, will do.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2006
    MarkSB wrote:
    Guess so, thanks, will do.

Hey - just a thought - are you running any FF extensions? ear.gif
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Photos viewed: 22557.12076 ????
    photos uploaded: 7547 | disk space used: 10.95 GB
    this month > photos viewed: 22557.12076 | bandwidth used: 2.07 GB (out of 12 GB) |
    first time I have seen this?? headscratch.gif

• Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    dmc wrote:

first time I have seen this?? headscratch.gif

dmcpics

Not a bug. It's when you view part of a movie deal.gif
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Not a bug. It's when you view part of a movie deal.gif

I did just upload my first movie this weekend, I guess that's it. I need to watch 0.87924 of the movie now to round it out again...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    I did just upload my first movie this weekend, I guess that's it. I need to watch 0.87924 of the movie now to round it out again...rolleyes1.gif

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Getting a ton of images not uploading correctly and a bunch of image processing in their place. Uploaded 2 galleries of about 100 or so photos and have had to go in and replace 10+ in each gallery. All of these has just started since the maintenance window last night.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Getting a ton of images not uploading correctly and a bunch of image processing in their place. Uploaded 2 galleries of about 100 or so photos and have had to go in and replace 10+ in each gallery. All of these has just started since the maintenance window last night.

Links, please? Uploader being used? Browser and version?

Have you checked our "problems" page?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Please run the www.dslreports.com test (register, free) and tools>packet loss test. Post the link to the results.
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    For what it's worth Andy, I was seeing similar problems during testing of my code last night.

They seemed to occur in bursts, flagged by the API not returning correct responses and images not processing through properly. By the time I had worked out whether it was me making a mistake or not, the problem window had passed.

Interestingly, I only get the 'Processing Image' when I'm logged in, I've checked on a different computer and this is a genuine effect, not a browser cache problem. An unauthenticated user sees everything fine... (We've seen this before once, a long time ago if I remember correctly)

I can't check using DSLReports, the security in place here kills the tests. Connectivity is usually good.

I see a tracert as such:

Tracing route to smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:
    1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms Removed
    2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms route-down-3.cam.ac.uk [193.60.95.14]
    3 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms route-cent-3.cam.ac.uk [131.111.2.126]
    4 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms route-enet-3.cam.ac.uk [192.153.213.193]
    5 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms cambridge-bar.ja.net [146.97.40.49]
    6 3 ms 3 ms 3 ms po11-0.lond-scr.ja.net [146.97.35.9]
    7 4 ms 4 ms 3 ms po0-0.lond-scr4.ja.net [146.97.33.34]
    8 4 ms 3 ms 4 ms po1-0.lond-gw-ixp1.ja.net [146.97.35.130]
    9 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms ge1-0.mr02.ldn01.pccwbtn.net [217.79.160.127]
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 155 ms 157 ms 157 ms hera.smugmug.com [63.81.134.23]

Smugtools API Upload, using MD5 verification.

Anything else I can do to help?

If I see it again, is there anything you'd like me to try and capture?

Luke
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Links, please? Uploader being used? Browser and version?

Have you checked our "problems" page?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems

Please run the www.dslreports.com test (register, free) and tools>packet loss test. Post the link to the results.
    Sorry don't have time now to solve errors. Maybe later tonight.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:

Anytime you can get to it. The tools I recommended can confirm or rule out any data loss from your internet connection - which is often the cause of the issue you are reporting. And, if ruled out, we for sure will investigate further!

All the best,
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    bham wrote:

I also could use a gallery link to help diagnose. Thanks.
  • Options
    coach-alcoach-al Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 29, 2006
    Can't get to shopping basket
    Hi all,

At least 4 times in the past month customers have told me that they can't purchase photos. They click on buy photo and the "gears" just crank away. When I click on buy photo it works instantaneously, no problem. I have a PC (XP Pro), high power, no Norton.

I suggest they contact Smugmug help as I know you guys want to know and are good at helping them but they don't want to do that. I try to help them. I've heard about the Norton problem but the last 2 have had Macs which I know nothing about.

So, first of all I wanted to inform you that there may be a problem here. 4 in the last month seems like a lot to me and how many am I missing where the customer doesn't tell me, just gives up?

Also, maybe you could put a writeup somewhere that explains the most common reasons for this to happen so we can be better about helping customers that don't want to go to you?

Anything that makes it difficult for my customers to order concerns me as I know it concerns you.

Thanks, Al
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hi all,

At least 4 times in the past month customers have told me that they can't purchase photos. They click on buy photo and the "gears" just crank away. When I click on buy photo it works instantaneously, no problem. I have a PC (XP Pro), high power, no Norton.

I suggest they contact Smugmug help as I know you guys want to know and are good at helping them but they don't want to do that. I try to help them. I've heard about the Norton problem but the last 2 have had Macs which I know nothing about.
    If they won't contact us help@smugmug.com then we can't diagnose, and you'll have to, sorry about that! On a Mac? Ask if they're tying to use IE. IE on older Macs is IE5, and we DO NOT support it at all. Neither does MSFT. Suggest that they use Safari, or Firefox 1.5 on their Mac.
    coach-al wrote:
    So, first of all I wanted to inform you that there may be a problem here. 4 in the last month seems like a lot to me and how many am I missing where the customer doesn't tell me, just gives up?

Also, maybe you could put a writeup somewhere that explains the most common reasons for this to happen so we can be better about helping customers that don't want to go to you?

Anything that makes it difficult for my customers to order concerns me as I know it concerns you.

Thanks, Al
    Thanks Al, for the suggestion. We really have very very few issues such as this and it comes down to old old tech on the buyer's end most of the time, or a corporate firewall issue, or Norton. But again, this is very infrequently. Best is to have them holler for us, 365 days a year we can help them!

Andy
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2006
    Thanks Andy, I bet it's an old browser. I'll check that with them. But one of them is supposedly a pro photographer? Must be film.:))) Go figure....Thanks.

Andy, when do you ever get to take pictures?:)))) No response needed...

Al
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2006
    Make 2nd Copy Bug...
    Not sure how much it gets used but the make 2nd copy feature seems buggy to me. Here's how I can replicate the issue on my site.

1. Navigate to a gallery and select a picture.
    2. From the photo tools drop down select "Make 2nd Copy".
    3. Wait a second for the page to reload and to see that there is no 2nd copy in the gallery.
    4. Navigate to the picture again and then select "Make 2nd Copy" once more.
    5. Wait a second for the page to reload and see 2nd copy in gallery.
    6. Click on photo tools and move 2nd copy to another gallery (why I found this in the first place).
    7. Check back in to the 1st gallery and notice that there are still 2 copies of the pic I just moved to another gallery. That brings the total number of copies to 3.
    8. Sigh and delete the extra copy in the gallery.

I've tried refreshing the browser, navigating away from the gallery and then back into the gallery, and everything else I could think of. No luck.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    susansusan Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2006
    Bug report from a viewer
    Ok, I know how incredibly annoying a bug report is without enough detail, but...

I just received a comment from a viewer complaining that the back button didn't work while they were viewing my gallery. Unfortunately, they left no contact info, so I have no clue what OS or browser they were using.
    eek7.gif
    I left a follow up comment asking for more info, hopefully whoever it was will visit again & reply.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    Smugmug down?
    Hi,

I can't get to my control panel today and all except one of my galleries is gone.

Is the system down?

Thanks, Al
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hi,

I can't get to my control panel today and all except one of my galleries is gone.

Is the system down?

Thanks, Al

No problems here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    New Info - Firefox only problem?
    DavidTO wrote:
    No problems here.

Hmmmm, I switched from Firefox to IE and everything seems to be ok. Ran Firefox on 2 different computers and same problem. Thoughts?

thanks, Al
  • Options
    slippahsslippahs Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Hmmmm, I switched from Firefox to IE and everything seems to be ok. Ran Firefox on 2 different computers and same problem. Thoughts?

thanks, Al
    I'm having the same problem with my smugmug and few others I've randomly tried, though the problems are occuring when either using IE or Firefox.

It loads the first two galleries, then cuts off the rest:
    www.slippahs.smugmug.com

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    slippahs wrote:
    I'm having the same problem with my smugmug and few others I've randomly tried, though the problems are occuring when either using IE or Firefox.

www.slippahs.smugmug.com

Any suggestions?

No problems, on Safari.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    No problems, on Safari.

Slippahs, I checked your site. On Firefox you only showed 1 gallery. On IE you showed 6 gallery categories. Seems like you have the same problem as I do. Interesting that we're both in Hawaii. Naaahhh, that couldn't have anything to do with it. Could it?

later, Al
  • Options
    lurkerlurker Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    slippahs wrote:

www.slippahs.smugmug.com

Any suggestions?

i have a similar problem. Am using firefox.
    www.lurker.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    lurker wrote:
    www.lurker.smugmug.com

No problems at all, Firefox and Safari on a Mac.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    PC-Firefox combo seems to be the problem
    lurker wrote:
    www.lurker.smugmug.com

Lurker, I checked your site. Problem with Firefox. No problem with IE. I'm on a PC by the way. It seems like the combo that isn't working is Firefox on PC. Help please Smugmug!

thanks, Al
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2006
    coach-al wrote:
    Lurker, I checked your site. Problem with Firefox. No problem with IE. I'm on a PC by the way. It seems like the combo that isn't working is Firefox on PC. Help please Smugmug!

thanks, Al

If you need immediate assistance from smugmug, write help@smugmug.com. This forum is not official support, although many questions get answered here, your best bet is that email addy. Hope that helps!
    Moderator Emeritus
This discussion has been closed.