Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    A couple of issues with the new Overlay look.

All Thumbnails view.

Click on thumbnail = get Large of image. Preferred size is Large.

Click on Large image to get Overlay.

Overlay = Original. Tried it on more than one gallery, same effect.

So, two issues. First, it takes two clicks to get to Overlay from All Thumbnails gallery.

Second, Overlay defaults to Original size when reached through All Thumbnails via the second click.

JT, by design.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2006
    {JT} wrote:
    Yeah, this slipped through, I will fix it in the next update.
    Thanks for chiming in. I really like when you do this. :D
    Andy wrote:
    Of course not naughty.gif
    JT to the rescue :D
    Naah, you cleverly managed your way around an explaination of this 'feature'. :D
    That what comes with being the front man. naughty.gif

Have a nice weekend,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    dave_bass5dave_bass5 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Drag and drop to desktop using IE6/7
    HI all
    Having a bit of trouble doing the above.
    It works fine with FF1.52 but not IE6/7, all i get is a shortcut to the pic
    Any ideas?

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    dave_bass5 wrote:
    HI all
    Having a bit of trouble doing the above.
    It works fine with FF1.52 but not IE6/7, all i get is a shortcut to the pic
    Any ideas?

Dave.

Website linke, specific gallery please? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Website linke, specific gallery please? ear.gif

Ahhh, i give up.
    Im not an IT sort of guy so i cant conduct controlled testing etc but heres what happened.
    Using IE6/7 of 3 different Pc's owned by different people they couldnt drag and drop to the desktop from viewing a L picture. i could with FF 1.5.

I have just tried it and on my work PC with the same result but also noticed i didnt have any option showing to view at different sizes. it was showing at M size. i only have one bit of code running and that takes away the drop down size list. i went in to one gallery and set it to smugmug default, updated and now the drag and drop works for all galleries.
    this sort of thing keeps happening. i reported a while ago that all my galleries were defaulting to M even though i left them at L.
    by changing only one gallery back to SM default and then back to custom all galleries worked properly again.

Heres one gallery you can look at
    http://davepearce.smugmug.com/gallery/492415
    at the moment in IE6 i cant select any viewing sizes. apperence is set to custom as it has been for a couple of months now.

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    dave_bass5 wrote:
    Ahhh, i give up.

:D Dave, don't give up! We're here to help you. So, couple of things:

1) only logged-in users can drag and drop arrange - and only then by clicking the box that says "arrange mode."

2) there's a "gotcha": If you have customized your gallery to automatically sort by caption, date, etc., it will override the arrange tool.

from the main view:
    54598000-L.jpg

from the single image view, photo tools>drag and drop:
    54598003-L.jpg

You cannot view sizes, becuase you put this in your CSS:
    #singleImage #sizePicker{display:none;}

mwink.gif If you want further help, just holler, I'm here for you.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :D Dave, don't give up! We're here to help you. So, couple of things:

1) only logged-in users can drag and drop arrange - and only then by clicking the box that says "arrange mode."

2) there's a "gotcha": If you have customized your gallery to automatically sort by caption, date, etc., it will override the arrange tool.

from the main view:
    54598000-L.jpg

from the single image view, photo tools>drag and drop:
    54598003-L.jpg

You cannot view sizes, becuase you put this in your CSS:

mwink.gif If you want further help, just holler, I'm here for you.

Andy, thanks for your help but im still not getting anywhere.
    1. i have logged out and using IE6 i can still drag and drop to the desktop (im not talking about arrange here)
    2. i have not changed my CSS since i wrote it and it has been working fine up to today (in fact you have helped me with this in the past)
    It should only be removing the drop down list and not the choices.
    do you have the code that does this? maybe i need to update it.

Thanks again

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    dave_bass5 wrote:
    Andy, thanks for your help but im still not getting anywhere.
    1. i have logged out and using IE6 i can still drag and drop to the desktop (im not talking about arrange here)
    2. i have not changed my CSS since i wrote it and it has been working fine up to today (in fact you have helped me with this in the past)
    It should only be removing the drop down list and not the choices.
    do you have the code that does this? maybe i need to update it.

Thanks again

Dave.

Wait! Do you mean, you want to be ABLE to drag photos to your desktop? Or, NOT be able to? ear.gif

To NOT be able to do this, and also right-click protection, that's a pro account feature:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Wait! Do you mean, you want to be ABLE to drag photos to your desktop? Or, NOT be able to? ear.gif

To NOT be able to do this, and also right-click protection, that's a pro account feature:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/image-protection

no, i want to be and have been doing it with Firefox, its just that a couple of friends tried it and it didnt work.

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    dave_bass5 wrote:
    no, i want to be and have been doing it with Firefox, its just that a couple of friends tried it and it didnt work.

Dave.

Dave, I'm sorry - I'm able to copy your photos no problem, two OS's and three browsers:

Safari and Firefox on Mac
    IE on Windows

Try using "right-click" and "save as" ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Dave, I'm sorry - I'm able to copy your photos no problem, two OS's and three browsers:

Safari and Firefox on Mac
    IE on Windows

Try using "right-click" and "save as" ear.gif

Andy, your missing the point.
    Before my first post no one could do it with IE6/7, i then changed the Appearance settings in one gallery to smugmug default and now all works ok. for all the galleries in both my browsers but honestly, it didnt before.
    this is why i feel like giving up.
    every now and then i seem to have to change the Appearance settings (again in only one gallery, then back again) for my site to display correctly.
    Has something changed at Smugmugs end as i now cant use the CSS i have been using for a few months?
    could it just be the theme im using? i dont mind trying another. i notice that when i dont use the CSS the size choices are displayed differently to how they were when i first used it.
    again, thanks for your time and help

Dave.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    dave_bass5 wrote:
    Andy, your missing the point.
    Before my first post no one could do it with IE6/7, i then changed the Appearance settings in one gallery to smugmug default and now all works ok. for all the galleries in both my browsers but honestly, it didnt before.
    this is why i feel like giving up.
    every now and then i seem to have to change the Appearance settings (again in only one gallery, then back again) for my site to display correctly.
    Has something changed at Smugmugs end as i now cant use the CSS i have been using for a few months?
    could it just be the theme im using? i dont mind trying another. i notice that when i dont use the CSS the size choices are displayed differently to how they were when i first used it.
    again, thanks for your time and help

Dave.

Hi Dave, I'm honestly trying VERY hard to understand you. You have size picker disabled in your CSS:

So people can't choose anymore, the size. Are you saying that this is causing your inability to save as to the desktop? I'm really sorry but I can't see a bug here, maybe you could explain more details please?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dave, I'm honestly trying VERY hard to understand you. You have size picker disabled in your CSS:

So people can't choose anymore, the size. Are you saying that this is causing your inability to save as to the desktop? I'm really sorry but I can't see a bug here, maybe you could explain more details please?
    Andy, sorry if im getting you confused.
    Yes, i have size picker disabled but in the past that has only taken the drop down size list away, i have been able to choose S M L. now as you can see i cant choose any other size with the CSS enabled.
    This problem (for me) has only just come up since i changed the apperence from custom to Smugmug default and then back to custom.i did this for only one gallery (the one you have looked at) but it has effected all of the galleries in that the size options have gone in all of them.
    This has nothing to do with the drag and drop problem i first posted about but by changing the apperence as above it has sorted the drag and drop problem, again just changing one gallery has effect them all

Now, if there is a line of code that will allow me to get rid of the drop down list but keep the S M L options (which i have had up untill today) then can you point me in the right direction please.
    If not then i will leave the CSS enabled as most of my recent galleries are at 800x523 which is what i want people to view them at.
    thanks again

Dave.
  • Options
    geoeremitegeoeremite Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    URL-unsafe characters in generated hrefs should be URL encoded
    Thought I would call this problem out here so that it doesn't get lost overthere.

When you use a custom category that includes a space in the name (e.g., "Lost and Found"), then the href inside "gallery categories" should have the url-unsafe characters (e.g., space in this case) url encoded (e.g., to href='Lost+and+found'). When the href attribute is not urlencoded (e.g., today it would be href='/Lost and Found'), Safari never treats the link as visited (because it visited 'Lost%20and%20Found' -- yes, dumb, but it's a browser after all). As a result, any CSS styles specific to visited links will fail to work correctly for that category.

The URL is already encoded by the browser in the location bar (e.g., becoming '/Lost%20and%20Found'), so there's no visible harm to the user experience; encoding just ensures that the browser sees the link as one it's previously visited.

Extra credit for url encoding space as '+' rather than '%20', as that will leave SmugMug users viewing prettier URLs in their location bar iloveyou.gif

This may also apply to other parts of the site where a single string from the site owner is used both as user-visible text and also as part of a URL.

cheers,
    Scott
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Ordering Prints Issue
    THIS IS A REPOST. I POSTED THIS IN THE NEW FEATURES THREAD ALSO

Hey,

As everyone else does, I think the new features are cool.

I do have one issue with the ordering, though. To tell you the truth, I think it is due to firewalls at my office, though. I'll explain it, and see if there is something that can be done.

When I go to order a picture, it does not work. In IE, it just hangs. In firefox, I get this error page:

54774428-L.gif

Like I said, I think this is my company's firewall (it works fine from home).

For whatever reason, my company's firewall allows access to all smugmug and dgrin addresses that I've tried, except http://www.smugmug.com/hack.

I get redirected to restrictedsite/restrictedpage.asp?url=http://www.smugmug.com/hack with a note that this page is restricted. Looks like the same thing that is coming up in the firefox error above.

My hunch is that the java (or whatever cart.mg is) that is working when you add to card is based in the www.smugmug.com/hack path and is therefore being blocked by my company.

To me, this is not really smugmug's problem, but I wonder how many companies have a firewall rule like this. We are a large (50,000+ employees in the US) company...

Is there anyway to move cart.mg out of /hack?
  • Options
    cosleiacosleia Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2006
    Categories and Subcategories
    Today I tried to create a Category called 2006 and assign galleries to it. The galleries instead were assigned to Other. I thought maybe I couldn't have a Category with only numbers in the name, so I tried Family 2006. This caused a whole host of errors; in the Delete Category area it still showed 2006 while the Rename showed Family 2006, and the galleries themselves disappeared entirely, with neither new category name showing on the main page. (I found the galleries using my browser's back button and assigned them to a different category.)

I decided that I must not be allowed to use numbers OR spaces in Category names, so deleted the new categories (or tried to) and went to make Subcategories instead. The Categories I'd created kept showing up in the Subcategory creation screen, despite the fact that I'd "deleted" them. I went ahead and made a subcategory of 2006 under an existing category...and the galleries disappeared again.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    cosleia wrote:
    Today I tried to create a Category called 2006 and assign galleries to it. The galleries instead were assigned to Other. I thought maybe I couldn't have a Category with only numbers in the name, so I tried Family 2006. This caused a whole host of errors; in the Delete Category area it still showed 2006 while the Rename showed Family 2006, and the galleries themselves disappeared entirely, with neither new category name showing on the main page. (I found the galleries using my browser's back button and assigned them to a different category.)

I decided that I must not be allowed to use numbers OR spaces in Category names, so deleted the new categories (or tried to) and went to make Subcategories instead. The Categories I'd created kept showing up in the Subcategory creation screen, despite the fact that I'd "deleted" them. I went ahead and made a subcategory of 2006 under an existing category...and the galleries disappeared again.

Hi Cosleia,

You can use numbers and letters, no problem. I just validated that the function is working as expected. Try clearing all your cache and your smugmug cookies and see if you get the same problem.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Cosleia,

You can use numbers and letters, no problem. I just validated that the function is working as expected. Try clearing all your cache and your smugmug cookies and see if you get the same problem.
    Maybe something else is going on then? I just deleted my Temporary Internet Files and all my cookies, and restarted IE, and I was going to try again when I noticed that the photos I just uploaded to a new gallery (that I hadn't tried to put into the 2006 Category or Subcategory) had completely disappeared. I tried it in Firefox too, and I could see the photos when I was logged out, but as soon as I logged in they disappeared. I refreshed the page and they reappeared, but when I clicked "Edit Captions/Keywords (Bulk)" it loaded the smugmug header and then a blank page!

EDIT: When logged out, on this page, I see my gallery, but it says it's empty. When I click into it, sometimes I see my photos and sometimes it says it's empty.

http://cosleia.smugmug.com/Travel/156611

This is the gallery in question.

http://cosleia.smugmug.com/gallery/1181815

Also, FYI, when I go to log in/out, I get a message that there are some unsecure items on the page.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    It seems to be working now. Not sure what was going on, but I guess it's good to leave things alone for awhile, and/or reboot the computer. In any case, sorry for hijacking the thread, and thanks for your help!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    cosleia wrote:
    It seems to be working now. Not sure what was going on, but I guess it's good to leave things alone for awhile, and/or reboot the computer. In any case, sorry for hijacking the thread, and thanks for your help!

Your issue was likely related to a small hiccup earlier, that Onethumb fixed. Glad you're all set now!
  • Options
    marcusamarcusa Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    Swedish characters messed up.
    Hello.

I´m having trouble with swedish characters being garbled.

Example:
    http://marcusa.smugmug.com/gallery/1184679/1/55511823/Large

It should say "Stockholm är vackert." in the description, instead it says "Stockholm Šr vackert.".

This happens when I import photos. Editing the faulty characters in smugmug works but, well, sucks.

-marcus
  • Options
    boyersmileboyersmile Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    smugmug vs smugmug small autodetect with custom domain name
    Fellow grinners. I've been lurking here for quite a while, but I finally came across a problem that I couldn't find an answer to. Bear with me as I try to explain the problem.

My website is www.boyersmile.smugmug.com. I just recently registered my own domain name as www.milesboyer.com. I set up a CNAME record to point to my existing smugmug account according to the instructions on the smugmug help screen. Everything appeared to work just fine with this setup. The only problem I've encountered so far is the way smugmug autodetects 800x600 monitors and serves up "smugmug small".

Using IE6 on XP, screen resolution of 800x600, I delete all cookies and temp internet files. I go to www.boyersmile.smugmug.com. The autodetect system seems to work as it should. It automatically shows "smugmug small" even if I've forced a gallery to "smugmug" style.

Now, if I keep my resolution at 800x600, delete all cookies and temp internet files and then go to www.milesboyer.com, I run into problems. The autodetect system doesn't seem to work properly. On galleries where I've forced "smugmug" style, the autodetect system doesn't automatically change the view to "smugmug small". It keeps the "smugmug" style, which forces me to scroll to see the whole page. On viewer controlled galleries, it automatically defaults to "smugmug small".

Ok, next test. Change resolution to 1024x768 or higher. Delete cookies, etc. Go to www.boyersmile.smugmug.com. Everything seems to work as it should. On viewer controlled galleries, it defaults to "smugmug" style.

Now, keep resolution at 1024x768, delete cookies, go to www.milesboyer.com. If I go to a viewer controlled gallery, it defaults to "smugmug small" rather than "smugmug" style.

As you can see from the above tests, the autodetect system doesn't seem to work when my page is viewed through my custon domain name. Any ideas why this would be. I thought they were supposed to be one and the same. I do understand that cookies don't pass back and forth and are treated separately for each address. This shouldn't be a factor though in my above test because I deleted all cookies before each test. I've recreated this problem on several machines, and I've received complaints from my visitors.

Here is another related question. I'm assuming the rules have recently changed for the "smugmug small" style. On the main smugmug help page it says "Why isn't smugmug small listed as a choice? Because selection between smugmug and smugmug small is provided automatically after we sense the user's monitor size. We serve smugmug small to users who have 800x600 pixel monitors to prevent scrolling, and smugmug to people with 1024x768 and above." I'm guessing that this needs updating since I can choose "smugmug small" from my customization panel and from the viewer controlled dropdown menu.

On another related note, is there any problem with logging into www.boyersmile.smugmug.com and viewing www.milesboyer.com at the same time through 2 different IE6 windows. I do this so I can edit one while logged in, and view the other while not logged in, and easily switch back and forth to see my changes.

By the way, one of my "forced style" galleries can be seen here:
    http://www.milesboyer.com/gallery/355422

One of my "viewer controlled" galleries can be seen here:
    http://www.milesboyer.com/gallery/1001433

I apologize for the lengthy post. If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Miles
  • Options
    boyersmileboyersmile Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    It looks like my site isn't the only one with this problem
    After posting my original question/observation, I notice that my site isn't the only one with this issue. I checked one of Andy's viewer controlled galleries.

When I go to this address:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/gallery/127580 with my resolution set to 1024x768, the default style is "smugmug small".

When I go to this address:
    http://www.williams.smugmug.com/gallery/127580 with my resolution set to 1024x768, the default style is "smugmug".

Actually, I've tested this a little more and I'm getting strange results. When I clear all cookies, the williams.smugmug gallery starts as "smugmug small" style. If I click on the second picture in the gallery, it changes to "smugmug". Then it stays as "smugmug" until I delete cookies again. I've been able to repeat this same process a few times.

When I delete cookies and go to the moonriverphotography gallery, it stays as "smugmug small" even if I click on several pictures in the gallery. Of course, if I change the viewer controlled dropdown menu to "smugmug" it stays that way with both addresses. However, I'm sure about 50% of all my visitors never bother with changing the styles.

Any ideas.
    Thanks,
    Miles
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    wave.gif Hi Miles, and welcome to Dgrin! Super site you made, and some fine, fine photography :D

I'm in the middle of family time right now in NY but I'll try and answer this in a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2006
    Hi Miles,

Thanks for pointing this out, it looks like a bug, we'll see what Onethumb says. I've alerted him to this. FYI I tried it on my own site and got the same behavior.
  • Options
    Bob MorrisonBob Morrison Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Comments on deleted photos
    I have my comments set for me to review and either approve or delete. My control page keeps track of these comments. However, if I delete a photo with comments before I have approved or deleted them, my control page still reports them as awaiting review--and there's no way to get to them since the comments were properly deleted along with the photo.

Minor, but thought you'd like to know.

Bob Morrison
  • Options
    geoeremitegeoeremite Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'm in the middle of family time right now in NY but I'll try and answer this in a bit.

In the off chance you didn't already know why this happens, it's due to this snippet of JS in the page that has the domain=.smugmug.com hardcoded (violates the browsers same-origin and/or 3rd party cookie rules):
    if(readCookie('res') != sRes)
    	document.cookie = "res=" + sRes + "; expires=Thu, 07-Jan-2010 00:00:01 GMT; path=/; domain=.smugmug.com";
    if(readCookie('depth') != sDepth)
    	document.cookie = "depth=" + sDepth + "; expires=Thu, 07-Jan-2010 00:00:01 GMT; path=/; domain=.smugmug.com";

The server should probably take the domain name from the host header for this on customized domains. The createCookie() function in smugmug.js seems to have the same issue.

I noticed earlier in the day that the user_USERNAME.js script is also served from the smugmug.com rather than from the custom cname, although that doesn't cause any issues that I'm aware of.

cheers,
    Scott
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    When I go into anything under control panel and then try to back out with IE's back button, I get the page expired warning. Maybe there should be a control panel button on every page that is liked from control panel.

Malte
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2006
    Why doesn't a gallery not being part of a community accessed through smugmug.com doesn't include my cobranding while it shows my cobranding using my subdomain ? ne_nau.gif
    If I assign the gallery to a community it'll show my cobranding in both cases and that's the behaviour I would like to have for non-community galleries, too! mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2006
    Why doesn't a gallery not being part of a community accessed through smugmug.com doesn't include my cobranding while it shows my cobranding using my subdomain ? ne_nau.gif
    If I assign the gallery to a community it'll show my cobranding in both cases and that's the behaviour I would like to have for non-community galleries, too! mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian

It won't have your branding without the rainforest in front of the smugmug.

Look here:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/575501

http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/575501
This discussion has been closed.