Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    That's because you have dainty fingers lol3.gif
    In light of recent events, that could be considered baiting.

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Nikon's lens caps are way nicer than Canon's.

Talk about hunting for scraps - I once saw a Chevette that had a nicer oil-cap than a Corvette but I still didn't want the Chevette :D

When you look hard enough one's bound to find something.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Talk about hunting for scraps - I once saw a Chevette that had a nicer oil-cap than a Corvette but I still didn't want the Chevette :D

When you look hard enough one's bound to find something.

'Cept the original poster shoots Canon.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    'Cept the original poster shoots Canon.rolleyes1.gif

True, although it was a very close thing. I shoot film (or perhaps more properly "shot") on a Nikon FG and really like Nikkor lenses; I was biased towards the D100 when I went shopping for my first DSLR. Thing was, the 300D was a much better buy at the time - images every bit as good, but half the cost. Had the D70 been out three months earlier I think I'd still be shooting Nikon.

A series of L lenses later and I'm effectively locked into Canon (my order for a 30D will be in right around the time B&H starts taking orders for it).

To be completely blunt about it once you get above the consumer DSLR line I don't see any significant difference between the two brands. I'd happily take either. At the consumer level I like the D50/70/70s better than the 300D and, especially, the 350D (whose speed and sensor I like, but ergonomics and battery I do not). And the lenses ... six of one, half a dozen of the other in my book. They both make great lenses with the occasional "what were they thinking?" model.

For my use the only significant difference between the brands is the superior Nikon lens caps. And you can buy them for your Canon lenses if you want, which I did.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    ...I shoot film (or perhaps more properly "shot")...
    You poor soul, you mean you've abandoned the art that is film photography?

Hehe I jest, but honestly I haven't been able to change from "shoot" to "shot" yet because I find that when I shoot film for some reason it drives me to compose better images and take better care of my settings. (probably because there's fewer settings to take care of!)

To me, film is a source of creativity that supplements my digital shooting, and it will continue to be even after I can upgrade to a DSLR that actually betters the quality of my Velvia.

On another note, sometimes I suspect that "the grass is greener"... When I shoot with a 20D and my D70 side-by-side, the results on the 20D look just fantastic on the LCD compared to my D70. But then when I view the CRW's in CS2, things look quite equal. To me the biggest caveat is exposure. Nikon had this wonderful RGB matrix meter and, in my opinion, they threw it out the window so they could favor "highlight preservation" ...Which some consider a blessing, but I absolutely hate it. The only redeeming factor is the D70's spot meter, which I enjoy using quite often. I dunno if this is everyone else's experience, but I've had my body checked twice by Nikon service and twice they "adjusted" the light meter, and still I get a histogram clumped up on the left half of the image, "preserving" highlights by putting sometimes a ridiculous 2-3 stops between the brightest detail and the "edge of burning".

Any way, other than that I see no real difference between the Nikon and Canon systems. Nikon has the joypad, Canon has the wheel. I prefer the joypad. Nikon has put the power button in the same spot on it's entire lineup as far as I know, and Canon can't seem to decide where to put it. (And the latest locations aren't anywhere NEAR where I could access them when picking the camera up one-handed.)

Considering that Canon also makes a 24-85mm lens which specs (especially the range and sharpness) I love on my Nikon, and since Tokina makes a 12-24mm DX almost as good as Nikon's, I would have no problem giving the Canon system a spin for my landscape / nature photography some day when I can afford it.

Brand loyalty is silly! (but oh-so-entertaining!)

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2006
    Brand loyalty is silly!

-Matt-

Can we change the title of this thread to "Brand loyalty is silly"?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Can we change the title of this thread to "Brand loyalty is silly"?

You know the rulez rutt. Requests like this go in another thread :)

But Matt's right. Well sort of. There's nothing wrong with Brand Loyalty. But
    putting down others choices is.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Nikon has put the power button in the same spot on it's entire lineup as far as I know, and Canon can't seem to decide where to put it. (And the latest locations aren't anywhere NEAR where I could access them when picking the camera up one-handed.)
    Why would you ever turn a camera off? Except to put it away!

I once saw someone describe how they handle turning their camera on and off. It went something like: "Wake up, turn camera on ... shoot ... turn camera off, go to bed."

Although maybe that's just a Canon thing! mwink.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    If nikon are that good why do they fall to bits when some pressure is on with high ISO.

Dont put purfume on a dead dog & tell me it smells nice.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:

Dont put purfume on a dead dog & tell me it smells nice.

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif Yep. Look at the crops linked here, this is Canon ISO 3200:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1134620/1/53163544/Large

But that's not really fair, now, is it, to Nikon? So, here's an ISO 1600, don't forget the crops...

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1134620/1/53205203/Large

And here is a little gallery of High-ISO Canon shots:
    http://williams.smugmug.com/gallery/1141376

I have yet to see anything comparable. I'm all ears, if there are any? And don't give me that junk about Canonites having to shoot at 1600 and 3200. The point is, you don't want to or have to, but when you NEED it, it's sure nice to have - and dependable!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Its just so easy to see...when it comes to ISO & nikon its like booking 2nd place before you start a race.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    If nikon are that good why do they fall to bits when some pressure is on with high ISO.

From a scientific study of recent purchases by dgrin members, Nikons don't need any high ISO pressure to fall to bits. They just do it without any help at all.

[Notice invisible smiley.]
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    So, Andy, here's a serious question. Yes, I know it's out of place in this thread, but that never stopped me before.

How do the medium format backs do in the high ISO department? There really is no reason why the makers should want them to do well, since I think they are mostly used in studios. But they do have much larger pixels then the dSLRs we know and love, which should naturally lead to low noise.

Who saw Capote? Who was jealous of Avedon when he was shooting Perry Smith and Capote with his Haselblad. Man! Make that thing digital and I'll kill for it.

I dug through my Avedon books and didn't find any of Perry Smith. I think they are in a book coauthored with Truman Capote. I'll be trying to find that book.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    From a scientific study of recent purchases by dgrin members, Nikons don't need any high ISO pressure to fall to bits. They just do it without any help at all.

[Notice invisible smiley.]
    Wasnt that fuji ?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Wasnt that fuji ?

Statistically significant sample
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    I haven’t seen so much self satisfaction being passed around since my son’s boy scout troop got caught in a circle jerk.

I remember the good ole 10D focusing fiasco. If the 10D had focused properly I would have gotten that over the D100 but alas when I tried it out the rumors of it having a focusing problem were proven correct.
    As for current times:

“The DX format has shown real muscle with the introduction of the D2X, transcending the quality expectation for this tiny format. Pitched against the reigning DSLR champion, Canon 1 DS Mk.II, D2X comes out on top with better performance in nearly all aspects. This shows that Nikon's approach to digital SLR technology with focus on the "DX" format, stubborn and seemingly in conflict with the current perception of "full frame" as the only viable solution, in the end might just be the more prudent move after all.” -Bjorn Roslett

“Compare the resolving power of the D2X's high density 90 Lp/mm sensor with other DSLR sensors. The D2X clearly leads the pack by a significant margin.
    • Nikon D2X - 90 Lp/mm
    • Canon 20D & Rebel XT - 78 Lp/mm
    • Olympus E1 - 74 Lp/mm
    • Canon 1Ds Mk II - 69 Lp/mm
    • Canon Digital Rebel - 68 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D50, D70, D70s, D100 - 63 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 14n, DCS SLR/n, DCS SLR/c - 63 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D1X - 84 Lp/mm horizontal, 42 Lp/mm vertical (63 Lp/mm averaged)
    • Canon 5D, 1D Mk II, 1D Mk II N - 61 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 560, 660, 760 - 56 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D2H & D2Hs - 52 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D1 & D1H - 42 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 520, 620, 620x - 39 Lp/mm
    -LoneStarDigital
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Is this still going on

Geeezzzz don't you Canonities have to go out and by some upgrade or something rolleyes1.gif :lol4 :lol

Oh and by the by you Canonities are quite noisey :wow rolleyes1.gifblbl.gif and full of megapixels :lol :lol4

You guys need em blbl.gif again thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I haven’t seen so much self satisfaction being passed around since my son’s boy scout troop got caught in a circle jerk.

What's a circle jerk? innocent0002.gif

Harryb wrote:
    “Compare the resolving power of the D2X's high density 90 Lp/mm sensor with other DSLR sensors. The D2X clearly leads the pack by a significant margin.
    • Nikon D2X - 90 Lp/mm
    • Canon 20D & Rebel XT - 78 Lp/mm
    • Olympus E1 - 74 Lp/mm
    • Canon 1Ds Mk II - 69 Lp/mm
    • Canon Digital Rebel - 68 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D50, D70, D70s, D100 - 63 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 14n, DCS SLR/n, DCS SLR/c - 63 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D1X - 84 Lp/mm horizontal, 42 Lp/mm vertical (63 Lp/mm averaged)
    • Canon 5D, 1D Mk II, 1D Mk II N - 61 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 560, 660, 760 - 56 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D2H & D2Hs - 52 Lp/mm
    • Nikon D1 & D1H - 42 Lp/mm
    • Kodak DCS 520, 620, 620x - 39 Lp/mm
    -LoneStarDigital

headscratch.gif

According to this chart, the Rebel XT is superior to the 1Ds MKII? Something's fishy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What's a circle jerk?

headscratch.gif

According to this chart, the Rebel XT is superior to the 1Ds MKII? Something's fishy.

Take your big lens and strap it to a high res P&S and it beats all of them hands down. Maybe someone will build that camera just for you, Harry.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:

I have shot with all my Nikon bodies in the rain and the snow w/o a problem unlike some other shooters.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=21535
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Take your big lens and strap it to a high res P&S and it beats all of them hands down. Maybe someone will build that camera just for you, Harry.

rolleyes1.gif

Sounds like a job for Super Rutt
    Harry
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I have shot with all my Nikon bodies in the rain and the snow w/o a problem unlike some other shooters.

Jeez, I already pled stupidity on this one and served my time.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    Yea, but if throw stones, you might wish to take a quick look at your own house first :gone
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2006
    zigzag wrote:
    Yea, but if throw stones, you might wish to take a quick look at your own house first :gone
    TWEET!

Unsportsmanlike seriousness.

Loss of taunt and 1 mandatory Whipping Post submission.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

Sounds like a job for Super Rutt

I wish! I can barely clean a sensor without trauma. You gotta outsource this one to someone with better mechanical skills. The Doc, perhaps?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    I wish! I can barely clean a sensor without trauma. You gotta outsource this one to someone with better mechanical skills. The Doc, perhaps?
    I got a new roll of gaffers tape today, so bring it on!
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I got a new roll of gaffers tape today, so bring it on!

Great! I'll send you an 8MP P&S with an itty bitty senser. Harry will send you his longest tele. And then you can go to it. Harry, just let me know when your lens is in the mail to the good Dr. and I'll get the P&S right out to him. He should have it done in a day or so and good to go.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    Great! I'll send you an 8MP P&S with an itty bitty senser. Harry will send you his longest tele. And then you can go to it. Harry, just let me know when your lens is in the mail to the good Dr. and I'll get the P&S right out to him. He should have it done in a day or so and good to go.
    I know we're kidding around, but I do happen to have an assortment of c to f-mount adapters and a machine shop at my disposal. naughty.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I know we're kidding around, but I do happen to have an assortment of c to f-mount adapters and a machine shop at my disposal. naughty.gif

I knew I had the right guy. Think of the Make Magazine article we could write! I'm serious about contributing the point & shoot to this project. And, Harry, just think of it! It'll make your 500mm lens effectively 2,000mm. Just think of the wildlife shots you'll be alble to snag! Hummingbirds at 1 mile! You'll be famous.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Check it out. Bjorn drops his D200 in the snow and leaves it there for a long time for a battery test...while he sips coffee indoors! Laughing.gif Go D200 ;)

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D200_rev01b.html#top_page