Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Why does it bother you? Why are several good advrider friends of mine from CA "idiots" (Ian?).

I know you weren't asking me, but the reason is because we should drive like Germans, not like Italians. (Herr Snobmeister has spoken).

And I realize you can ride a motorcycle anywhere, but I wonder why a person would want to in say the DC area. Our heavily used roads have nice long lengthwise gap seams, plus people tend not to signal...or pay attention (I once had to go into a soldier because the lady in the SUV, as she explained when she apologized at the light...I had honked liberally, "cannot see those small cars in my mirrors" - to which I should have said "well learn how to adjust your mirrors properly and turn your head...but I didn't because I'm a nice guy). My dad rod bikes while he lived in the Carolinas, and even in the 60's when in DC, but he stopped once there were cars everywhere. It wasn't meant to be a negative comment aimed at people who ride bikes, I was just curious if you all take your lives into the hands of thousands of idiots each day or if your driving environment is a little safer.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 13, 2006
    I know you weren't asking me, but the reason is because we should drive like Germans, not like Italians. (Herr Snobmeister has spoken).
    Not quite sure I get that reasoning. Traffic jams happen everywhere, germany, france, italy - afaik, lane-splitting is ok in all of those countries. I've witnessed it in all of them, pretty sure its legal.

I was just curious if you all take your lives into the hands of thousands of idiots each day or if your driving environment is a little safer.
    You take your life into your hands whether you get into your car or on your bike. Is it fun to ride in heavy city traffic? well, duh, of course not! Its not fun to drive there either, as you point out. There are tradeoffs that some people take in cities though; its a lot easier to park a small motorcycle than any car. I have riding friends that ride for that reason only. They'd never dream of doing the type of long-distance riding that I do, and I'd honestly never dream of getting my only riding on in between cabs in NYC. Different strokes for different folks.

You're so frickin dramatic "ooooh, taking your lives into your own hands, ooooh, hark, the hooorrroors!" lol3.gif

If you're gonna live like that, why are you building a hot rod car? Maybe it'd be safer if you trade it for a Segway...

:hide
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    gus wrote:
    What is up with their names? Germans trying to drink tequila and make insults or what?

Hey, I got a date for 6pm Brisbane time!!! Gotta set my alarms and brew up a strong pot of coffee.
    Erik

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Not quite sure I get that reasoning. Traffic jams happen everywhere, germany, france, italy - afaik, lane-splitting is ok in all of those countries. I've witnessed it in all of them, pretty sure its legal.

I have riding friends that ride for that reason only.

Lane splitting / filtering is legal and I find it hard to believe that you can't do it in most statesheadscratch.gif . The huge advantage of a bike in city traffic is to filter. Dublin traffic is gridlocked between 7-10am and 4-8pm. A bike is the only way to get around. I couldn't imagine sitting behind a car in traffic.

I traded my gs for a vfr because the gs was too wide, I couldn't filter in heavy traffic. It was a great bike for long journeys but too big and wide for filtering.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    At first the law annoyed me because I wasn't used to it and didn't understand it, being from New York. But I got used to it soon after I moved here.

But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about idiots that zig and zag in traffic recklessly. And ride between all the lanes, not just the 1 and 2 lanes. I say the same thing about the idiots in cars that zig and zag out of traffic here. Bunch of fools, and worse than that -- in a car you're seriously putting other people lives in danger in a way that a motorcyclist isn't. Not that you can't kill on a bike, but chances are the only one that's gonna die is the rider.

So Doc, I reckon we're not that far off on this one.

DoctorIt wrote:
    See, that kinda irks me.

Why does it bother you? Why are several good advrider friends of mine from CA "idiots" (Ian?). Would you be one of those folks that would open a door into me? Just because you can't go, I shouldn't either?

Attitudes like that are the reason its illegal in the other 49 states. Sure you'll have your idiot 22 year old with his fresh license and new repli-racer going way too fast, but that can/will/and does happen in any traffic situation (and unfortunately, its all you hear about). Why can't a motorcycle go by where there is plenty of room for a bike to go? You'd prefer they take up yet another spot in the gridlock, idle some more, pollute some more, use up some more gas?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    At first the law annoyed me because I wasn't used to it and didn't understand it, being from New York. quote]

blbl.giflol3.gif

456V6943-01-cop-crop-web001.jpg
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    I love that photo. Everytime I see it lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    Lane splitting / filtering is legal and I find it hard to believe that you can't do it in most statesheadscratch.gif
    See DavidTO's reply... The only thing that gets attention and publicity here are the idiots. Therefore, the rest of us responsible riders (and drivers) have to suffer. I compare this country to elementary school - the one jerk kid who won't sit shut his fat mouth during quiet time ruins recess for the all the other kids. I don't know why we can't just ignore the idiots, let them kill themselves or put them in jail like the rest of the world. umph.gif

Damnit, now you got me started!
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    See DavidTO's reply...

And just to be really clear, in my first post I didn't intend to complain about the legal lane splitting, it was just an explanation for anyone who doesn't know the law in CA.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    And just to be really clear, in my first post I didn't intend to complain about the legal lane splitting, it was just an explanation for anyone who doesn't know the law in CA.
    Yeah, don't worry, we're not sending an Advrider contingent to your front door. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah, don't worry, we're not sending an Advrider contingent to your front door. lol3.gif

phew. :patch
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, I got a date for 6pm Brisbane time!!! Gotta set my alarms and brew up a strong pot of coffee.
    headscratch.gif you mean phone call stuff ? Let us know how you go.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    See DavidTO's reply... The only thing that gets attention and publicity here are the idiots. Therefore, the rest of us responsible riders (and drivers) have to suffer. I compare this country to elementary school - the one jerk kid who won't sit shut his fat mouth during quiet time ruins recess for the all the other kids. I don't know why we can't just ignore the idiots, let them kill themselves or put them in jail like the rest of the world. umph.gif

Damnit, now you got me started!

So some states allow you to ride without a helmet but you can't ride a bike between two stopped or slow moving cars... it's a crazy country !!
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    I lane split the other day (dont get to do it much these days with panniers) Anyway it was a long line of cars & the road curved up the front & a smallish truck was up the front so i couldnt see ahead. As i got 3 cars back ..here is a patrol car on the front line rolleyes1.gif Nothing i could do but ride up & wait beside them. They didnt seem interested in me. Everyone does it here.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

You're so frickin dramatic "ooooh, taking your lives into your own hands, ooooh, hark, the hooorrroors!" lol3.gif

If you're gonna live like that, why are you building a hot rod car? Maybe it'd be safer if you trade it for a Segway...

He said zig zagging...Germans don't zig zag...Italians do...the point is that Germans drive well is all.

And the difference to me is that if you get hit in a car, you stand very little chance of then also getting run over by another car.

On actually utilizing laws that allow lane splitting...you guys really do like to take your life into your own hands. Some of the "good ol boys" down here will open their doors as a joke...or to spit...or because they don't like them foriegn motorsickles.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    So some states allow you to ride without a helmet but you can't ride a bike between two stopped or slow moving cars... it's a crazy country !!
    Or the states where you have to wear a helmet, but can have a pistol strapped to your hip. Fun place, America!
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Or the states where you have to wear a helmet, but can have a pistol strapped to your hip. Fun place, America!

I have read the threads on ym about guns and riding... scary :rambo
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    He said zig zagging...Germans don't zig zag...Italians do...the point is that Germans drive well is all.

They come down hard on you in Germany if you break the rules, no matter who you are or what your riding or driving.

Violent, Drunken 'Bad Santas' Wreak Havoc Worldwide
    One Santa was stopped by police for driving 150 kph (90 mph) on a northern German motorway, 50 kph over the speed limit.
    "He said he was in a rush because he still had packages to deliver," said a spokesman for the police. They gave Santa a fine and took away his license.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I've been over to your area twice now and have to say you live in an amazing place.

I was lucky enough to be loaned a bike by a friend in Costa Mesa after I'd done a second rally training trip near Vegas.

(Primm to be exact)
    Looking-back-to-Primm.jpg

Anyway, I followed the coast road and cut up to Isabella lake and Kernville and beyond. The roads, people, food and suroundings were all great. Back to Vegas and the flight back to the UK was a dissapointment as I was not staying longer.

I'd been told as I set off that lane splitting was ok which is something we take for granted in the UK. My return through LA the long way would have taken ages without the ability to drive straight through queued static traffic.

The drivers I passed all seemed to know what they were doing and for such a huge place seemed to be in more control than in say France, Spain and Portugal to mention just three countries. Don't get me started on places in Africa such as Mauritania. LA felt a bit like riding through London which I've done a lot of. Try Paris or the weird round-about laws that still exist in an old Frenchmans mind.

I try not to crash into cars I need big empty spaces then it just sort of happens.
    Dunesfall001jpegweb.jpg

Buy yourself a bike, get some training and head off into the hills. No need to carry a gun, just a small tool kit..

You won't regret it.
    Kern-river-woods.jpg

Bod.

As for lane splitting, keep your eye's on every car, and every turning, and every tiny detail of the road ahead and you'll be fine with a bit of practice and a few thousand miles under your belt.thumb.gif

You'd also be joining a great group of American riders and those from all corners of the World.
    (Here are just two)
    CharlieFransisco002jpegweb0.jpg

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Yes, I also like their policy with drunk drivers. I honestly have no idea why DWI/DUI's don't have their licenses taken away for life in our country. The Autobahn is surreal...people use turn signals, yield the left lane, keep an eye on their rear view mirrors...it's just amazing.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Both those laws (the one requiring something of a person the other allowing a person to do something) are for the safety of the citizenry.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Both those laws (the one requiring something of a person the other allowing a person to do something) are for the safety of the citizenry.
    Oh jeebus. rolleyes1.gif

Spike, head straight to JoMomma, do not pass go, do no colllect $200.

And the car-talk thread has officially begun its spiral of doom.
    *sigh*
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006

55223870-M-3.jpg

55223864-M-3.jpg

The gun laws are your own business but not wearing a helmet on a motorbike is moronic
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh jeebus. rolleyes1.gif

Spike, head straight to JoMomma, do not pass go, do no colllect $200.

And the car-talk thread has officially begun its spiral of doom.
    *sigh*

Oh dear, a spiral of doom. That sounds bad.

Does that mean pic's of Quads can be posted now?

Quad-919-wb.jpg

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:
    Oh dear, a spiral of doom. That sounds bad.
    It is bad. Right after guns comes politics, religion.... yeesh rolleyes1.gif
    Does that mean pic's of Quads can be posted now?
    Yes! thank you! nod.gif
    That thing is pretty badass. What rally was that in?
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It is bad. Right after guns comes politics, religion.... yeesh rolleyes1.gif

Yes! thank you! nod.gif

Maybe a seperate area is needed for politics pic's and religious photo's? How about calling it Church, State and Money? I don't think thats been done before in the history of the [url]www.:encore[/url]

Is there a proper gun-talk thread yet? I hear a man called IcyDeath has some nice pic's and a few straight thinking idea's he could share with us here. He used to be a Marine so he knows what he talking about.
    He's been to Ireland too naughty.gif

It will all end in tears with strange pictures of scooters posted all over the place....
    StLouisScoot001-web.jpg

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

That thing is pretty badass. What rally was that in?

That was the Dakar 2004 in Nouakchott. I travelled with one of your Iron butt organisers. He was in his 60's but a great character and we had an amazing time.

He was very laid back and took the whole thing in his stride.

I'm taking three women this time up to Atar, two from the US and a Canadian. It's good to see such adventure spirit with the World in it's present state.

Who says yanks don't travel out of the USA.....:ivar

Bod.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh jeebus. rolleyes1.gif

And it all started with talk of motorcycles.
  • Options
    edited December 13, 2006
    And it all started with talk of motorcycles.
    Yeah, I didn't properly thank you for scaring Antrieb and DJ from what was becoming a very fun conversation on bikes and learning to ride. So thanks! rolleyes1.gif

don't you have finals to study for? lol3.gif
    Erik