Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    clap.gif congrats, Ian!

Thanks doc!

I just returned from the innagural rain ride thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 9, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Thanks doc!

I just returned from the innagural rain ride thumb.gif
    Rain is better than not topping 32 degrees. The sun lured me out, but after about an hour, I realized I wasn't really having fun. Brrrr, winter's here.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Rain is better than not topping 32 degrees. The sun lured me out, but after about an hour, I realized I wasn't really having fun. Brrrr, winter's here.

Yeah. I forget about the cold. Mostly because it's rarely a big deal here.
    At least not for very long--cold in the morning--warmer in the afternoon.
    If I go to Death Valley this year, it could be a problem as I have to cross
    a "low" mountain range.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Dooocccc...Dooocccc
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Can I get you a jacket 'Gus?
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    Here you go fellas...

116010003-M.jpg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Here you go fellas...
    Very nice mate thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Very nice mate thumb.gif

Thanks Gus! It's pretty fun stuff...I think I'll have to get the V1 installed
    though...it's just way too easy to go fast.
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2006
    I'm a serious bike n00b. Tell me about it please?
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I'm a serious bike n00b. Tell me about it please?
    BMW motorcycles have become Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde:

R1200-- = horizontally opposed twin engine, boxer = the good Dr Jekyll
    K1200-- = inline 4-cylinder ~160hp = the crazy Mr Hyde!

:D

How's that? Ian's new bike is the K1200GT, a sport touring machine with the heart of a jet fighter. The engine is very civilized, full of torque, and still a gentleman's BMW, but look out, it can scream, and do so very very easily. The blue bike I posted earlier that my friend bought is the S version - full on sport, more aggressive riding position than Ian's GT, but with the same BMW amenities: heated grips, shaft drive, etc. In other words, same performance league as Yamaha R1's, Honda CBR RR's, and Suzuki GSXR's, but with a few creature comforts, and more refinement.

(Glad this is a car talk thread, I could get seriously flamed for above comments lol3.gif)
    Erik

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2006
    I thought rk's was a K1200R - assuming I'm right how does that figure in the BMW lineup?
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I thought rk's was a K1200R - assuming I'm right how does that figure in the BMW lineup?
    (modern) BMW 101:

prefix-number-suffix

prefix: denotes engine type, K, R (see my reply to antrieb), or F - the single cylinder which only comes in 650cc
    number: engine size, in cc's
    suffix: model type, most of these are guesses mind you,

R-bikes...
    GS = all-road (gelande strasse)
    RT = road touring
    ST = sport touring
    R = road, think "standard"
    S = sport

K-bikes...
    S = sport, uber-sport in this case
    R = road standard, only sportier so than the R-bike version
    *RS = somewhere between R and S, coming '07
    GT = ian's, grand sport touring
    LT = luxo-touring (think goldwing)

So DJ, the "S" and "R" are the most confusing ones. If I tell someone I have a GS, they get it right away (*although the F650GS is also a GS, it is a lesser machine and the big daddy R----GS takes the name :D). Same with Ian's new bike, you can just call it the "GT". Now, with rk's bike, you can't just call it an "R", need more info. So we often drop the number and call it a "KR", or my friend has a new "KS".

Clear as mud? lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Clear as mud? lol3.gif

Yep. thumb.gif Best explanation I've ever seen.

But I think if the K1200R is "road-standard" at 160-something hp, then the S must be "stupid fast" (to paraphrase rk). :D
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Yep. thumb.gif Best explanation I've ever seen.

But I think if the K1200R is "road-standard" at 160-something hp, then the S must be "stupid fast" (to paraphrase rk). :D
    The KR and KS are both stupid fast, I think the final gear ratio is only slightly different, otherwise power output numbers are identical. In my opinion, rk's KR (hmmm, never noticed that play on letters lol3.gif) is "more stupider" than the KS because it has no fairing, so no wind protection for the rider. If I'm gonna exploit 163 horses, I want a windshield in front of me. nod.gif

weeeeeeeeeee!!!
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 11, 2006
    As I recall it had the option of a small windscreen or a tiny one - she chose the tiny. eek7.gif

Anyway I'll stop polluting the "car talk" thread now - promise.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    As I recall it had the option of a small windscreen or a tiny one - she chose the tiny. eek7.gif

Anyway I'll stop polluting the "car talk" thread now - promise.
    No worries, it's clearly become our ubiquitous goof-off motorhead thread lol3.gif

Calling what's on the R a windscreen is pushing it - more of a bug deflector for the little instrument panel.

R:
    BMW_K1200R.jpg

S:
    P0015039_s.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    Yeah I don't mind if you guys talk about bikes. I'd love to know more!

I want one so bad but I don't think I'd trust myself with one yet. Maybe in a few years when I'm done with school and such.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Yeah I don't mind if you guys talk about bikes. I'd love to know more!

I want one so bad but I don't think I'd trust myself with one yet. Maybe in a few years when I'm done with school and such.
    It's just like with driving, perhaps more so - you need training. If you are interested in riding, I highly suggest going for it! The best way to do that is to sign up for an MSF RiderCourse.

This is a nationwide program that teaches you the fundamentals of riding. It's typically a 3-day course, held over a weekend. Friday night is classroom instruction, and sat/sun are split between riding time and classroom. Also, as part of the riding section on Sunday, you have to complete a little "riding course", which if the instructors pass you on, you get a certificate and do not have to schedule a road test with your RMV (I assume this is true for all states since MA is probably one of the most regulated in the country).

The riding time is done in a parking lot type situation with cones and lines on the "track". Instructor to student ratios are very good so you get plenty of attention. Also, you use their bikes, which are small and beginner-friendly, so the intimidation and risk factor is low (if you drop it, you won't cry). Just like driver's ed, you get a discount on insurance afterwards as well.

Costs have gone up a bit since I took it, but I think they are still around $200 for the course. Not bad at all considering what you get. Even if you decide you're not ready for a bike, its a very informative and even fun weekend. I had been riding dirtbikes for years before I took this course when I was 18, so I went in kind of cocky, but quickly realized I was learning a lot and had a pretty good time doing the little exercises.

The actual riding part of motorcycles at regular traffic speeds on normal roads isn't the hardest part. It's learning to be more aware - of traffic, of conditions, not only of the road, but of your machine as well.

There's no time like the now to give it a try. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It's just like with driving, perhaps more so - you need training. If you are interested in riding, I highly suggest going for it! The best way to do that is to sign up for an MSF RiderCourse.

This is a nationwide program that teaches you the fundamentals of riding. It's typically a 3-day course, held over a weekend. Friday night is classroom instruction, and sat/sun are split between riding time and classroom. Also, as part of the riding section on Sunday, you have to complete a little "riding course", which if the instructors pass you on, you get a certificate and do not have to schedule a road test with your RMV (I assume this is true for all states since MA is probably one of the most regulated in the country).

The riding time is done in a parking lot type situation with cones and lines on the "track". Instructor to student ratios are very good so you get plenty of attention. Also, you use their bikes, which are small and beginner-friendly, so the intimidation and risk factor is low (if you drop it, you won't cry). Just like driver's ed, you get a discount on insurance afterwards as well.

Costs have gone up a bit since I took it, but I think they are still around $200 for the course. Not bad at all considering what you get. Even if you decide you're not ready for a bike, its a very informative and even fun weekend. I had been riding dirtbikes for years before I took this course when I was 18, so I went in kind of cocky, but quickly realized I was learning a lot and had a pretty good time doing the little exercises.

The actual riding part of motorcycles at regular traffic speeds on normal roads isn't the hardest part. It's learning to be more aware - of traffic, of conditions, not only of the road, but of your machine as well.

There's no time like the now to give it a try. :D
    Cool, I'll give it a try this spring. When I was taking a summer class at my college they were giving this class the whole summer in one of the parking lots.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    I want one so bad but I don't think I'd trust myself

You can have this.
    sky-king-pedal-tricycle-classic-trike-vintage-bike-ride-on-toy.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    I could get you a deal on this: deal.gif

116451528-L.jpg

80th Anniversary Edition BMW R1150R
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:

116451528-Th.jpg

Watch it or I'll ban you :banned

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:

that bike is a trooper! lesser machines would have crumbled long ago if they were asked to do what that Rockster has acheived.

I'm also half convinced that if went down there tomorrow with cash, she would turn me down. it's been "for sale" for how long now??? :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    rolleyes1.gif at all the replies

• Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    that bike is a trooper! lesser machines would have crumbled long ago if they were asked to do what that Rockster has acheived.

I'm also half convinced that if went down there tomorrow with cash, she would turn me down. it's been "for sale" for how long now??? :D
    Well, her idea of "for sale" is vastly different from most people. My feeling is that once you start using the word "ponderous" in relation to it (only compared to the new bike, of course), you are pretty much resigned to selling it even if you don't know it yourself yet. :giggle

The bike is a trooper, how many x-country trips has it made, 2? 3?
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    This is a nationwide program that teaches you the fundamentals of riding. It's typically a 3-day course, held over a weekend.
    The actual riding part of motorcycles at regular traffic speeds on normal roads isn't the hardest part. It's learning to be more aware - of traffic, of conditions, not only of the road, but of your machine as well.There's no time like the now to give it a try. :D

Can I also recommend anyone who is thinking about getting a bike to get some training with a qualified instructor who has bike to bike comms and who will take you on the public roads. This instructor should teach you the roadcraft system of driving / riding. I was trained in this system; whenever I crashed or fell off it was because I didn't ride the bike according to the system 11doh.gif .

I was skeptical when I did the training but it does work. It teaches you so much about looking far, far ahead and judging potential hazards and how to deal with them. Overtaking, a good way to die young, is taught in a sensible and safe way. Smooth, progressive riding is the result of being taught to ride by a competent, qualified instructor.

The speed at which a rider trained in the system can hustle a pan around is a testament to his/her training. There are some good instructors in Ireland and England teaching this system, i'm sure that there are schools in the US also.
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    Y'all who like your bikes: are you guys out in the country or something? You take your life into your own hands just crossing the street in DC, I can't imagine getting on the Beltway on a motorcycle...or on any road in that area.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    Y'all who like your bikes: are you guys out in the country or something? You take your life into your own hands just crossing the street in DC, I can't imagine getting on the Beltway on a motorcycle...or on any road in that area.
    Yes, motorcycles can only be operated on back country roads.
    Erik

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yes, motorcycles can only be operated on back country roads.

You should see the idiots zigging in and out of traffic on the LA Freeways. Don't know about other states, but it's legal for them to ride between the #1 and 2 lanes, even though they ride between all the lanes whenever they damn well please. umph.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    You should see the idiots zigging in and out of traffic on the LA Freeways. Don't know about other states, but it's legal for them to ride between the #1 and 2 lanes, even though they ride between all the lanes whenever they damn well please. umph.gif
    See, that kinda irks me.

Why does it bother you? Why are several good advrider friends of mine from CA "idiots" (Ian?). Would you be one of those folks that would open a door into me? Just because you can't go, I shouldn't either?

Attitudes like that are the reason its illegal in the other 49 states. Sure you'll have your idiot 22 year old with his fresh license and new repli-racer going way too fast, but that can/will/and does happen in any traffic situation (and unfortunately, its all you hear about). Why can't a motorcycle go by where there is plenty of room for a bike to go? You'd prefer they take up yet another spot in the gridlock, idle some more, pollute some more, use up some more gas?
    Erik