Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Sure. Then neither has opened the hood....

Well I haven't asked the professor, but the AT teacher said it isn't exactly the same thing as engine, or drivetrain, or propulsion. He didn't know how to describe it in english, but I threw those three at him and he said no to each.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited February 22, 2007
    Well I haven't asked the professor, but the AT teacher said it isn't exactly the same thing as engine, or drivetrain, or propulsion. He didn't know how to describe it in english, but I threw those three at him and he said no to each.

Nicht Uberfullen...simple translation "do not overfill". Even google gets it
    right rolleyes1.gif

Maybe you should find a different German prof....
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Is, are,, we hois you now:?
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Nicht Uberfullen...simple translation "do not overfill". Even google gets it
    right rolleyes1.gif

Maybe you should find a different German prof....

Are we talking about the same thing? I'm talking about "antrieb"
    And no, it's not transmission (I figured that's what you meant by do not overfill).
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Zac, shipping is $4.05, so $5.

You can e-mail me at rishayegan at davidson dot edu (also my paypal account).
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Is, are,, we hois you now:?

Hahaha!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Zac, shipping is $4.05, so $5.

You can e-mail me at rishayegan at davidson dot edu (also my paypal account).
    Payment sent.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    I'll ship it tomorrow (I have a million things to do today, sorry). The plural of "tool" is formed by adding an "s" to the end, not a "z." :D
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Ok, So what do you talk about on the radio for 30-60 minutes when you are doing an interview as the rep of a car club? Did I mention it's live? Did I mention I hate public speaking? At least none of will are in range to hear me make a fool out of myself on Wensday.....
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 26, 2007
    Ok, So what do you talk about on the radio for 30-60 minutes when you are doing an interview as the rep of a car club? Did I mention it's live? Did I mention I hate public speaking? At least none of will are in range to hear me make a fool out of myself on Wensday.....
    good luck, i guess. lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    I'll ship it tomorrow (I have a million things to do today, sorry). The plural of "tool" is formed by adding an "s" to the end, not a "z." :D

Nevermind, I shipped it today (I remembered one of the things I had to do was mail back a Snap On wrench...hated the thing, so now for wrenches I'm thinking Facom, but I'm waiting to see what the Stahlwille Type 15 is like first.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Nevermind, I shipped it today (I remembered one of the things I had to do was mail back a Snap On wrench...hated the thing, so now for wrenches I'm thinking Facom, but I'm waiting to see what the Stahlwille Type 15 is like first.
    You know we expect a full report.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    You know we expect a full report.

On the wrenches, or just on the day to day decisions I make in my life? :D

The Stahlwille Type 15 are a neat looking design, but I think I'll have to see one in person. I know I hated the Snap-On, the Facom have a really nice finish but they are also a bit large (about 1mm too big) when compared to other good quality wrenches, the Beta are good dimensions but I'm not a fan of mirror polish chrome on wrenches and I didn't like their non-chrome finish, so here's to hoping the Stahlwille are good. Hazets are pretty good but they're a little flexy in small/medium sizes, but not in the direction in which force is applied when using them as a tool. What I wonder is if that flex is on purpose, if somehow making the handle portion flexy allows the pressure to be taken off the head so the head doesn't flex.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Cool, no rush though.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    On the wrenches, or just on the day to day decisions I make in my life? :D

Just the wrenches thank you.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Just the wrenches thank you.

I cannot stress enough how disappointed I was with the Snap On. A tool should feel good in the hand...plus it would be nice if the chrome finish didn't have milkiness in it. On top of all that, Flank Drive Plus is a neat idea, except for that it destroys the nut/bolt head. Oh, and price? Who do they think they are? I tried it becaues I figured with all the hype, and at that price, it must be the best thing in the world. Honestly, of the good wrenches it's at the bottom of my list: Snap-On, Hazet, Beta/Facom (these two are close, depends on what a person likes). I guess I'll see where Stahlwille falls. Of course, these are all better than Heyco, Mac, Matco, Craftsman, and other brands in that range.

I will say this, dollar for dollar, Beta is almost always the hands down winner by far (a few of their tools are overpriced though). They don't appear to have any sort of flank drive type thing in any of their tools, but I'm not sure how much I hold it against them since it doesn't seem to matter. A friend rounded out a seized bolt with his Craftsman socket, I put a Beta on it and it came right off. I think they just worry about making the sizing very precise rather than worry about nifty designs like flank drive.

Wiha (www.wihatools.com) makes the best screwdrivers and any driver type tool (so this includes T handles) that I have ever seen. With screwdrivers get the soft-finish extra heavy duty for the house and micro-finish heavy duty for the garage.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    I'm still not sure why you need different finishes for house/garage.

It's a tool...it should work where ever you want to use it :D
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    You mention Hayco. That is the tools BMW uses in the factory tool kits.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm still not sure why you need different finishes for house/garage.

It's a tool...it should work where ever you want to use it :D

The soft-finish is more comfortable, but you can get oil and transmission fluid and anything else all over the handle of the microfinish and it doesn't become slippery at all.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    You mention Hayco. That is the tools BMW uses in the factory tool kits.

Yeah, MB uses them for a few tools too. They're ok, but pretty much free tool kit grade.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Ok, I'm going with the Stahlwille wrenches. They certainly aren't the prettiest (probably the worst finsih from a cosmetic standpoint), but they are the most fuctional. The closed end of the combination wrench of course has the flank drive/ogv profile/as profile/whatever you want to call it that all of the good brands use, but the unique thing is the open end uses slightly convex jaws to achieve what snap on does with their flank drive plus without banging up the nut/bolt. Also, they have small outer dimensions, which is important for getting into tight spaces, yet they have 0 flex in the direction of rotation (very slight flex if you try to bend it downwards, i.e. against the direction of rotation, but that's something they do knowingly as part of that I-beam construction thing). Also, while the finish sure ain't pretty, it doesn't get slippery when wet.

The Facoms are the nicest IMHO but they are less function since their outer dimensions are larger than everybody else. The Stahlwille is the most functional, the Beta is the best bang for the buck, and the Hazet is the best all around good. Since for me function is the most important thing I'm going with Stahlwille.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Tool talk is making me sleepy :snore
    Erik

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Tool talk is making me sleepy :snore
    Well then, maybe this will perk you up...

2008 Audi S5

header.jpg

header2.jpg

s5par0075imagesf2.jpg

s5par0072imagegp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    truth wrote:

2008 Audi S5

Wake me up when they make something rear wheel drive.

Der Snobmeister hast gesacht.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    truth wrote:

2008 Audi S5
    Not bad. It's a bit too "heavy" looking. I really dig that new R8 though. Yum. nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Just a public service announcement. Buy good tire pressure guages. I've always wondered why manufacturers recommended tire pressures always result in too much edge wear. Well, I always say go big or go home, so I got a good tire pressure gauge from CDOC. Now I see that my auto parts store stick type gauge reads about 3psi low.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 28, 2007
    Just a public service announcement. Buy good tire pressure guages. I've always wondered why manufacturers recommended tire pressures always result in too much edge wear. Well, I always say go big or go home, so I got a good tire pressure gauge from CDOC. Now I see that my auto parts store stick type gauge reads about 3psi low.
    There's even variation amongst the good gauges. Try 3 or 4 of the same brand and make and there will be variation. It's a pretty ambiguous thing to know an exact pressure. Best you can hope for is consistency with the gauge you have over time. That said, the stick type gauges are complete crap as are 99% of the ones attached to an air hose unless you know exactly when they had it calibrated and if it's been dropped since then. I always try to error on the high side as tires always lose pressure and more bad things happen from under inflation vs slight over inflation.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007

I had my last car 2 1/2 years & never once opened the bonnet (hood) not once.

The car before that my wife drove home in one day...i drove it for 2-3 weeks & a friend whom is into cars asked me what it was...i said its a red holden commodore V6 wagon ...he went & looked & said " sorry mate but its a 4 cyl toyota camry"
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I had my last car 2 1/2 years & never once opened the bonnet (hood) not once.

The car before that my wife drove home in one day...i drove it for 2-3 weeks & a friend whom is into cars asked me what it was...i said its a red holden commodore V6 wagon ...he went & looked & said " sorry mate but its a 4 cyl toyota camry"

Yeah, but you're Australian.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    truth wrote:
    There's even variation amongst the good gauges. Try 3 or 4 of the same brand and make and there will be variation. It's a pretty ambiguous thing to know an exact pressure. Best you can hope for is consistency with the gauge you have over time. That said, the stick type gauges are complete crap as are 99% of the ones attached to an air hose unless you know exactly when they had it calibrated and if it's been dropped since then. I always try to error on the high side as tires always lose pressure and more bad things happen from under inflation vs slight over inflation.

I can't spend $240 just to check for variances between guages. I just have to trust that the oil-filled guage I bought from a race shop is probably pretty accurate.