Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Not yet at least.

To be honest though, a well sorted GTI is more fun than the R32. Even the stuff I've read on the new mkV R32. It's a different car, heavier, more powerful. So its fast, but more deliberate. I think I'd prefer the GTI, quicker (there's a difference between quicker and faster), lighter, sharper.

Spike, good list, all your cars were on mine as well. $$$ is (almost) no object. In other words CLK63 AMG is on the list :D

Lotus is a good one, but so hard to find. Remember, we have to be able to drive them at a dealership.

If money is no object, I would scrap that list I gave except for the Mustang and the Lotus (the Sky and Solstice with the 260hp engines are nice for the money, but they have useless trunks - not just small but awkwardly designed - and they have 0 low and mid range torque.

Lotus hard to find? I know a dealership in the DC area that I'm sure has several. They probably have a few late-model Esprit's too. (EDIT: I just checked, they have 10 new Elises in stock on their website).

Hmmm, money no object...I would add that 500hp Ford Racing Parts supercharger to the Mustang too.

How tall are you? Porsche Cayman S is very fun - test one with the short shift kit, regular Porsche shifters I don't like much - but I wouldn't recommend it to someone 6'2" or taller, plus it's a hardtop. How about a Porsche 911 Cabriolet? BMW M Z4. You're still too young for the CL63, I say from MB either the Mercedes SLK 55, or the SL65 if you're really Mister Money Bags.

So, new list is, Lotus Elise, heavily modded Miustang GT (or maybe just an FR500GT http://www.fordracingparts.com/mustang/racer.asp), Cayman S, M Z4, SLK55/SL65

I still think if you've got money to burn you should consider looking for the right old car (like a mint condition 1968 Firebird 400 H.O., or a mint 1968/1969 Olds 442 H.O. Hurst or 1970 Olds 442 Indy Pace Car, or a 57 Vette), but yeah if you want to wuss out and go with a new car, that's a nice list. Actually...those new cars are obviously more fun, but those old American heaps of junk would be kinda cool...
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Roadster? :(

MZ4 Coupe > MZ4 Roadster
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Roadster? :(

MZ4 Coupe > MZ4 Roadster

I don't know about that, different strokes for different folks. I personally would neve buy a roadster because I'd be too afraid of what would happen in a rollover, but then, Doc also rides motorcycles. If he wants a hardtop, I wouldn't get the MZ4 Coupe with that chainsaw engine, I'd get the M6.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    fellas, its not for me. I'm selling my GTI and moving to Australia in six months!

A friend isn't actively shopping, he wants to drive some fun cars, hence the dealership thing, and perhaps be "tempted". So it was just an excuse for us to talk crap about the current "fun" offerings on the market these days.

Richard, I'm glad to hear the Solstice is on your list. I'd really like to get a drive in one, seems like they got it pretty right. Although I still say the MX5 does one of the best true "roadster's" - light, simple, fun, not exotic$$$. In true MG and Triumph spirit.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    A friend isn't actively shopping, he wants to drive some fun cars, hence the dealership thing,

That's so lame. Just wasting the time of dealership employees, time that they could spend with actual customers. My dad and I will go look at interesting cars that we wouldn't buy, but never drive them (and we tell the salesman we are just looking and won't be buying if they ask so they won't waste their time on us). To me, what you're doing is like going to a brick and mortar store to try some item, then buying it online.

And read my update: with more money, solstice is off the list since it's got no low or mid range torque.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited February 11, 2007
    That's so lame. Just wasting the time of dealership employees, time that they could spend with actual customers. My dad and I will go look at interesting cars that we wouldn't buy, but never drive them (and we tell the salesman we are just looking and won't be buying if they ask so they won't waste their time on us). To me, what you're doing is like going to a brick and mortar store to try some item, then buying it online.

And read my update: with more money, solstice is off the list since it's got no low or mid range torque.

I go to the motorcycle dealer all the time and do exactly this. They know, I
    know and it's all good. Of course, I recently slipped up and actually bought
    one that I test rode :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I go to the motorcycle dealer all the time and do exactly this. They know, I
    know and it's all good. Of course, I recently slipped up and actually bought
    one that I test rode :D

Yeah, but AFAIK when you test drive a motorcycle they don't come with you.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Yeah, but AFAIK when you test drive a motorcycle they don't come with you.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But by your logic, it's still a waste of time
    and money.
  • Options
    brncr6brncr6 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Z06
    Corvette Z06 is the only car I would buy, If I could.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    That's so lame. Just wasting the time of dealership employees.
    who's dad sells cars? ding ding ding: mine :D

there's certain dealers around Boston that deserve it with their tactics (i realize some individual salesman may be beyond reproach... ah nevermind, you're not from Boston so it would take me forever to explain this one). my dad gives me a list, and i pass it on. and mind you I said, this friend *could* be tempted, so even in my dad's book, he's legitimately testing and being upfront with dealers. the car has to really impress.

god you dwell on details! I said lets talk about cool freaking cars on the market today!!! lol3.gif

with money off the list, we should be able to appreciate simple cars, along with very exotic ones.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But by your logic, it's still a waste of time and money.
    Or was it?

Just to give you some perspective. I've been riding M/C for a long time.
    Back in the 80's, I was looking for a new bike. At the time, I couldn't afford
    a BMW but that dealer spent the time with me and guess what? When I was
    able, I bought a BMW.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    with money off the list, we should be able to appreciate simple cars, along with very exotic ones.

I agree, but having a flat low end is something that would suck to me and I would only be willing to compromise if it's the best I could afford. Notice I like my big V8's. Personally, I rather have an old BMW M6 than a new Solstice.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    BTW, speaking of no money limits, the father of a friend of mine is buying a new car to replace his CL55 AMG. Consider that this is Germany where they actually use top speeds. He wants something that can hold 4 people, so basically the CL is the lower limit of roominess. He's thinking CL63 is the way to go, any other suggestions?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    I go to the motorcycle dealer all the time and do exactly this.

So do i & i have owned 24 bikes. Nothing in it 'eh marlin ?

If you go to a dealer today & say give me a grand & i will supply you with 100 tyre kickers that are not in the market for a new car ...he would knock you over getting the money in your pocket. Why do you think shop windows exist ?

If we didnt time waste window shopping/driving the dealer could save millions & sell from a list over a coffee in his house.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    He's thinking CL63 is the way to go, any other suggestions?
    I just don't like the CL, and it's quite cramped in the back. Does he really need the room, if so, why not go right to the S? The latest one is pretty good looking, IMO. Or if he doesn't always need the room for 4, the AMG'ed E class just took top honors when compared to the M5 and S6. 4 people fit quite comfortably in that car as well... IMO, better than the CL, the headroom in there is seriously compromised for tall backseat occupants.

edit: I always confuse CL and CLS... either way, I wouldn't say either of them are very comfy for 4 people on anything longer than a trip to the restaurant for dinner.
    Erik

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Top Gear
    Keep an eye out for this weeks episode on You Tube. The show this week was in Florida and some of the scenes are hilarious.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I just don't like the CL, and it's quite cramped in the back. Does he really need the room, if so, why not go right to the S? The latest one is pretty good looking, IMO. Or if he doesn't always need the room for 4, the AMG'ed E class just took top honors when compared to the M5 and S6. 4 people fit quite comfortably in that car as well... IMO, better than the CL, the headroom in there is seriously compromised for tall backseat occupants.

edit: I always confuse CL and CLS... either way, I wouldn't say either of them are very comfy for 4 people on anything longer than a trip to the restaurant for dinner.

Well, I think he just wants the back seats to be useable for a just in case moment. This is a replacement for the CL55 he had, so he wants something with a similar level of rear seat usability (balked at my 911 Turbo suggestion). I'm thinking maybe the 612 Scaglietti as an alternative? They looked at a 2+2 Vanquish, but the trunk couldn't even hold one bag of golf clubs.

BTW, isn't that the nicest car buying trouble to have. Next time I'm in Germany, I'm definitley looking him up.
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    Customer's 2007 Porsche 997 GT3, here today.

129207389-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    Customer's 2007 Porsche 997 GT3, here today.
    gah! drool!! I'm such a sucker for 911's (and variants).
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Great car Doug, what did you do to it?

And a side note, I couldn't find H&R race springs on your site. I need springs that have at least a 1.7 inch drop to work with the Bilstein sport shocks I already have. Any suggestions?

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Great car Doug, what did you do to it?

And a side note, I couldn't find H&R race springs on your site. I need springs that have at least a 1.7 inch drop to work with the Bilstein sport shocks I already have. Any suggestions?

Nada, just a customer / friend's car we dyno'd. 365 at the wheels, stock.

Your car is a E34, corect? H&R only makes Sport springs for E34. Everything they offer drops the E34 about 1.25"
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    dugmar wrote:
    Your car is a E34, corect? H&R only makes Sport springs for E34. Everything they offer drops the E34 about 1.25"
    Yes it is a 530i. Will my bilstein sports work with those H&R springs? I thought I needed a bigger drop...

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 12, 2007
    topgear does alabama
    exactly why the one nascar race i will never go to is talladega.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    gah! drool!! I'm such a sucker for 911's (and variants).
    They run like water here in CA. God, I love them.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Gawd, they know nothing about NASCAR those Top Gear folk. The drivers don't come from AL, the building of the cars isn't in AL. the VAST majority of everything NASCAR is done either right down the road (almost literally) in Lake Norman NC, or 3 miles further in Mooresville, or a bit further in the other direction in Concord. Sheesh, get it right Brits.

And wow, that's really sick and sad how those Alabama people are.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    And wow, that's really sick and sad how those Alabama people are.
    Saw that earlier today. I stopped laughing at some point and was just in shock. Were they serious? throwing rocks at the film crew?!
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Saw that earlier today. I stopped laughing at some point and was just in shock. Were they serious? throwing rocks at the film crew?!

You know, I love it here at my college, and I guess we just aren't south enough, but I've come across 2 or 3 people in my time here in these neighborhoods whom I would say would definitley throw rocks at the film crew if they saw those cars like that.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    I found a guy who has the entire episode.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwX0MfFIE4

I don't get how these guys don't know what cars they could get cheap. You can get 1980's and late 70's Mercedes diesels for under $1000 all day.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    exactly why the one nascar race i will never go to is talladega.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G6MJVzXbqRU
    What a seriously unfortunate place to live.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    gus wrote:
    What a seriously unfortunate place to live.

What I want to know is why did they go through the armpits of America?