Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hey, this is the car talk thread, not tractor talk. blbl.gif

I was talking more about Nextel Cup, though I guess some of the Truck Series guys are around here too. Ah, I keep thinking about Daytona. It was awesome.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    Pistons supposedly shipped yesterday wings.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:

Get me Jay Leno's or Ralph Lauren's opinion, then I'll listen.
    Or Dirk Pitt's lol3.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    oh come on, ligthen up. this is the car talk thread you big sissy. If you thought any of that was really serious, then you're having a bad day. You of all people should know we don't do any apologizing around here. We talk dirty, and we talk cars, you big freaking hippocrit! How much trash have you talked on this thread about people's decisions about cars?

nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Twice in the past month now that name has entered my world. I think I should read some of those books for a kick. Pitt's character is well known in the watch world for sporting the original badass Doxa Diver.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 6, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Twice in the past month now that name has entered my world. I think I should read some of those books for a kick. Pitt's character is well known in the watch world for sporting the original badass Doxa Diver.

He must be related to Dirk Diggler...
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    We can't keep letting this go to page 2. Any gamers here? I downloaded the demos for GTR 2 and GT Legends and liked them so much I bought them (a little hard at first, and a game pad like the rumblepad 2 is a must at the bare minimum, but quite realistic).
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    We can't keep letting this go to page 2.
    I agree.

Here's my contribution. Caption Slow goes 253mph...

Well, actually, it's not my contribution. I might have stolen it from someone else in another thread, but it sooo needs to be in here.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Veyron may have a high top speed, but there's a good reason Bugatti won't let them take it out onto a track. See Gordon Murray's breakdown of the Veyron in Road & Track (was a while ago, but is still on the website) to see why.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Veyron may have a high top speed, but there's a good reason Bugatti won't let them take it out onto a track. See Gordon Murray's breakdown of the Veyron in Road & Track (was a while ago, but is still on the website) to see why.
    you could rain on any parade couldn't you? :bluduh
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you could rain on any parade couldn't you? :bluduh

Most, but I have yet to find a way to rain on the parade of the McLaren F1.

Seriously, what kind of high performance vehicle weighs more than a Mercedes S-Class?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Most, but I have yet to find a way to rain on the parade of the McLaren F1.
    Have you ever driven one?
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have you ever driven one?

Aren't you a physicist? Do you really have to drive a car to realize that at 4800lbs it wouldn't be much of a race car?

Oh, you were talking about the McLaren. No, though it sure is nice to look at in person. Yeah, I know they get hot...it's a race car.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Do you really have to drive a car to realize that at 4800lbs it wouldn't be much of a race car?
    Sure, heavy for a race car. But darn light for a personal rocketship. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sure, heavy for a race car. But darn light for a personal rocketship. :D

If I had that kind of money and wanted to go fast in a straight line, I'd just buy a 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart for about $1 million less and do the 1/4 mile more than 1/2 a second faster. Not to mention a McLaren can run mild boost if you tone down the cams a bit, and it would take only about 150 more hp to make the McLaren just as fast.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    If I had that kind of money and wanted to go fast in a straight line, I'd just buy a 1968 Dodge Hemi Dart for about $1 million less and do the 1/4 mile more than 1/2 a second faster. Not to mention a McLaren can run mild boost if you tone down the cams a bit, and it would take only about 150 more hp to make the McLaren just as fast.
    You are a complete enigma. Probably the biggest car snob on this thread, but there's not a drop of appreciation for the engineering it took to make the Veyron do what it does. In a way, I've lost some respect for your technical knowledge... good thing you want to be a lawyer and not an engineer. blbl.gif

And now, if you'll excuse me, after listening to a Bugatti be compared in the same breath to a Dodge Dart, I'm going to vomit.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I agree.

Here's my contribution. Caption Slow goes 253mph...

Well, actually, it's not my contribution. I might have stolen it from someone else in another thread, but it sooo needs to be in here.

That was pretty cool. No. That was way F'n cool.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You are a complete enigma. Probably the biggest car snob on this thread, but there's not a drop of appreciation for the engineering it took to make the Veyron do what it does. In a way, I've lost some respect for your technical knowledge... good thing you want to be a lawyer and not an engineer. blbl.gif

And now, if you'll excuse me, after listening to a Bugatti be compared in the same breath to a Dodge Dart, I'm going to vomit.

No, I appreciate how hard it was to engineer, but I don't appreciate how all sorts of dumb shit most likely forced upon them by marketing (and the purchasing demographic of such a vehicle) that ruined it.

My point in comparing it to the Dart was to show that any idiot can make a car go fast in a straight line. Yeah, it may be hard to hit 253mph, but do you have a use for that? Particularly in a car that you can't really race?

BTW, for the uninitiated.
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=3075

See, to me the Mercedes C111 is much more interesting and deserving of respect. In the early 1970's, Mercedes got to 250mph with only 500hp with the C111-IV. Or the C111-II which did 180mph with a 4 rotor Wankel. Or the C111-III which used a diesel engine and went along breaking record after record over 60 hours of driving straight.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Seriously, what kind of high performance vehicle weighs more than a Mercedes S-Class?

Ones that can kick Mclarens arse into the trees.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Ones that can kick Mclarens arse into the trees.

Talk to me when someone wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans in one.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Talk to me when someone wins the 24 Hours of Le Mans in one.
    It isnt a le mans car...its just a faster car than an F1.

F A S T E R
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    gus wrote:
    It isnt a le mans car...its just a faster car than an F1.

F A S T E R

The McLaren wasn't originially designed as a Le Mans car either, but that didn't stop 5 slightly modified models from taking 1st and 3rd (and 4th and 5th and 13th) in 1995
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    The McLaren wasn't originially designed as a Le Mans car either, but that didn't stop 5 slightly modified models from taking 1st and 3rd (and 4th and 5th and 13th) in 1995

Nothing wrong with running 2nd mate...its a spot that needs to be filled as well as 1st place. Its just as important.....almost.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Nothing wrong with running 2nd mate...its a spot that needs to be filled as well as 1st place. Its just as important.....almost.

If you're not first, you're last! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    OK, new topic:

You're in the market for a new car, something exciting, roadsters are high on your list. You want to test drive lots of new cars, and get a good feel. Gimme your lists.

*Remember [Richard], new cars, but I'll give a little wiggle room to include fairly late model stuff that may be in the CPO fleets of the dealers you'll be visiting. No ebay/newspaper/friend-of-a-friend on bimmernet.com crap.
    Erik

• Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    Lp640...
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    OK, new topic:

You're in the market for a new car, something exciting, roadsters are high on your list. You want to test drive lots of new cars, and get a good feel. Gimme your lists.

*Remember [Richard], new cars, but I'll give a little wiggle room to include fairly late model stuff that may be in the CPO fleets of the dealers you'll be visiting. No ebay/newspaper/friend-of-a-friend on bimmernet.com crap.

Roadsters...hmmm...you're going to think somebody stole my computer when you read my list. Price range?

In the mean time I'm going to guess high 20's/low 30s
    Pontiac Solstice GXP or Saturn Sky Redline

If you can swing more how about a Lotus Elise? Or if you think you're getting too old rolleyes1.gif how about a BMW Z4?

I would say Mustang GT, but not if you want a roadsters. If you'd go with a hardtop though I'd say a Mustang GT premium in Grabber Orange on black, with the standard wheels, interior upgrade package, GT appearance group if that scoop is functional, comfort group to get a power passenger seat, alarm system, side airbags, and some help from www.fordracingparts.com in the form of the handling pack and the power pack (which by the way don't void the warranty as long as you are willing to use high test gas and ignore any squeaks/rattles).

And then of course there are these cars (I really do need help) which are like new

http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/mercedes_benz/JB01
    http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/mercedes_benz/JB37
    http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/mercedes_benz/JB21 (not a roadster)
    http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/other_manufacturers/JB32
    http://www.hatchandsons.com/pages/sales/other_manufacturers/JB34

And of course, what about a used Porsche?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    OK, new topic:

R32
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    gus wrote:

IIRC they don't bring that one to the US.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    IIRC they don't bring that one to the US.
    Not yet at least.

To be honest though, a well sorted GTI is more fun than the R32. Even the stuff I've read on the new mkV R32. It's a different car, heavier, more powerful. So its fast, but more deliberate. I think I'd prefer the GTI, quicker (there's a difference between quicker and faster), lighter, sharper.

Spike, good list, all your cars were on mine as well. $$$ is (almost) no object. In other words CLK63 AMG is on the list :D

Lotus is a good one, but so hard to find. Remember, we have to be able to drive them at a dealership.
    Erik