Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #4

Comments

• Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Hi Andy & thanks for the quick response. I read the thread but couldn't find links to any pages showing this in action (what I want to see anyhow).
    Can you share some links specifically showing this as a workable hack?

EDIT: I'd really like to see this enabled somehow easier (such as the current way of adding gallery descriptions) so I don't have to hack it ;)

Thanks so much,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Cindy wrote:
    Hi Andy & thanks for the quick response. I read the thread but couldn't find links to any pages showing this in action (what I want to see anyhow).
    Can you share some links specifically showing this as a workable hack?

EDIT: I'd really like to see this enabled somehow easier (such as the current way of adding gallery descriptions) so I don't have to hack it ;)

Thanks so much,

We'll consider it as a feature reqeust. Ask in the thread for folks that have done it....
  • Options
    zombierunnerzombierunner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 21, 2006
    DC's wish list
    I've just started playing with Smugmug - I've been a Printroom user and am looking seriously at switching to SM.

Here's my wishlist (excuse me if any of this is available and I haven't found it yet -- I've done a fair amount of reading in the forums, but possibly not exhaustive):

- framing (simple choices like http://www.dotphoto.com or ideally a more elaborate interface like http://www.pictureframes.com/)

- capability to directly place add-to-cart code on an external site

- e-card support

For the last 2, I'll offer an example. I use Printroom's 'print button' code capability on my web site. I'm generating these galleries with my own software; Printroom lets me inject some simple javascript which results in an clickable add-to-cart for that photo. Here's an example:

http://www.dclundell.net/running/photography/2006-07-15_tahoe_rim_trail_100_miler/scenery-P1000987.jpg_t.html

(The e-card link is a call to some e-card software that i'm running on my domain.)

Thanks much,

- dc

-
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    I've just started playing with Smugmug - I've been a Printroom user and am looking seriously at switching to SM.

Here's my wishlist (excuse me if any of this is available and I haven't found it yet -- I've done a fair amount of reading in the forums, but possibly not exhaustive):

- framing (simple choices like http://www.dotphoto.com or ideally a more elaborate interface like http://www.pictureframes.com/)

- capability to directly place add-to-cart code on an external site

- e-card support

For the last 2, I'll offer an example. I use Printroom's 'print button' code capability on my web site. I'm generating these galleries with my own software; Printroom lets me inject some simple javascript which results in an clickable add-to-cart for that photo. Here's an example:

http://www.dclundell.net/running/photography/2006-07-15_tahoe_rim_trail_100_miler/scenery-P1000987.jpg_t.html

(The e-card link is a call to some e-card software that i'm running on my domain.)

Thanks much,

- dc

-

Hi DC, many thanks for giving SmugMug a try, and for the great suggestions. We consider all of these seriously, so thanks for taking the time.

Holler if I can be of any service at all, and don't forget the great resources available - look at the links in my signature.

wave.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2006
    Now that we're nearing the release of IE7 and given all the hacks that we have to do for the craptacular IE6, I would really like to see a way to include CSS in conditional comments. Perhaps we could have an advanced option in the CSS places (themes and customization page) that would make browser-specific code blocks available for the user to insert code for specific browsers. By default the user would only see an added advanced button. When that button is clicked tabs would appear that would switch the input box to match whatever tag is selected. The tabs could be "All Browsers", "IE7", and "IE6 and earlier" or something along those lines.

This would simply dump the CSS into a css file that is uniquely named and surrounded by conditional captions. No more * html hack, underline hack, or CSS2.1 hacks required for the users and better code all the way around.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    jnolanjnolan Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 22, 2006
    Bulk recategorization of galleries
    I'm not seeing this feature request listed, so my apologies if I've missed it.

I would like to be able to move multiple selected galleries from one category to another. To be clear, I want to move SOME galleries, not every gallery in a category. Given how many galleries I have, mostly currently categorized as "other", recategorizing each one individually is very time-consuming.

Just to convince myself I'm not alone in hoping for this feature (:D) I believe that this previous post wants the same facility: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35018

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying SmugMug more and more as I get to know it! :)
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2006
    jnolan wrote:
    I'm not seeing this feature request listed, so my apologies if I've missed it.

I would like to be able to move multiple selected galleries from one category to another. To be clear, I want to move SOME galleries, not every gallery in a category. Given how many galleries I have, mostly currently categorized as "other", recategorizing each one individually is very time-consuming.

Just to convince myself I'm not alone in hoping for this feature (:D) I believe that this previous post wants the same facility: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35018

Thanks in advance, I'm enjoying SmugMug more and more as I get to know it! :)
    wave.gif Hi jnolan, and welcome to Dgrin! We thrive on the input from our customers, and so thank you for taking the time to tell us that this is important to you! You're in luck, this is on JT's list of improvements to all of our tools. Can't say when, of course, but know that we'd love to deliver this functionality!
  • Options
    OakleyOakley Registered Users Posts: 446 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Right-Click Protection
    Could we get the Right-Click Protection turned OFF whenever I'm logged in to my site? It makes it really difficult for me to share photos on dgrin or change the wallpaper on my desktop. Basically when I want to do one of those things, I have to change my right-click protection off, do what I want, then go back and turn it back on (IF I remember!)

Thanks
    Ryan Oakley - www.ryanoakleyphotography.ca [My smugmug site]
    www.photographyontheside.com [My blog about creating a part-time photography business]
    Create A Gorgeous Photography Website with Smugmug in 90 Minutes [My free course if you need help setting up and customizing your SmugMug site]
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Oakley wrote:
    Could we get the Right-Click Protection turned OFF whenever I'm logged in to my site? It makes it really difficult for me to share photos on dgrin or change the wallpaper on my desktop. Basically when I want to do one of those things, I have to change my right-click protection off, do what I want, then go back and turn it back on (IF I remember!)

Thanks
    It's on the list! thumb.gif EDIT: a debate on this feature request going on here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=34797

-Anne
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Internationalisation.
    The website only lists in US Dollars, so I need to know what the Australian $ prices are.

If you could let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Danny
    One of several I have recieved along a similar vein.

Even just a quick conversion in brackets similar to eBays. ie US$ 100 (about AU$140) would do.

Thanks.

Dna
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    The website only lists in US Dollars, so I need to know what the Australian $ prices are.

If you could let me know that would be great.

Thanks

Danny

Even just a quick conversion in brackets similar to eBays. ie US$ 100 (about AU$140) would do.

Thanks.

Dna
  • Options
    fotodojofotodojo Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Dna wrote:

Thanks.

Dna

That is a pretty good request - I second that motion.
  • Options
    javier.rinaldijavier.rinaldi Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    FR - Themeable categories and subcategories
    Like the title says,

I'd like to be able to apply a theme to an entire category or subcategory, this way I could have different styles for the different sections of my page. right now I can apply a theme to the whole wesite, or to a specific gallery.
    The theme works great for the gallery but I would like to have the containing subcategory have the same 'look'
    for example;
    this is my main gallery page http://www.jrinaldiphotography.com/Galleries
    and this is a gallery http://www.jrinaldiphotography.com/gallery/1215038
    no problem there since the customization is global,

however, i also have a subcategory customized for weddings for which I like having a 'white' look
    http://www.jrinaldiphotography.com/Events/205403
    and here is a sample gallery http://www.jrinaldiphotography.com/gallery/1810909

I was able to implement themes in the gallery with great success but I'm obligated to still specify in my main css section what my weddings subcategory looks like. But, if I could in the subcategory create/edit page, also specify a theme, I could truly harness the power of themes.
    Jav

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Standard vs specialty prints
    Please please fix this. I've lost a lot of sales because people just don't understand that they have to look in specialty prints to find some sizes. What would be so hard about labeling it "Special Sizes" or something that gives a clue about what the distinction is about? Better yet, what about giving us better control about how this is presented? For example, I really just want to sell a handful of different sizes and papers. Why can't this just go on one list, since it would be a small list?

OK, you could make this a lot better with only a very small amount of energy and it's an old problem. Can't you just fix the titles quickly if nothing else?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edurantedurant Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    XMP keyword support
    Automatic use of keywords from XMP data, such as keywords inserted by BreezeBrowser Pro 1.5.2.2, would be useful.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    edurant wrote:
    Automatic use of keywords from XMP data, such as keywords inserted by BreezeBrowser Pro 1.5.2.2, would be useful.
    Hi Edurant, do you know if/how these keywords differ from keywords in Adobe Bridge (which we take in automatically)?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Default Starting Gallery Style
    I know this was requested more than a year ago (by jfriend) and I'd like to echo it again.

It would be great to have the ability to set a default "starting" gallery style, but still allow the viewer to change it after. I have a specific gallery (A wedding gallery) that I would like to always start in Slideshow mode, but allow the view to change it to whatever the like.
  • Options
    edurantedurant Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Embedded BB Pro Keywords
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Edurant, do you know if/how these keywords differ from keywords in Adobe Bridge (which we take in automatically)?
    Thanks for the quick response, Andy.

The photos were edited from camera JPEGs in Photoshop CS and/or CS2. After that, keywords and various IPTC/XMP data were added to the originals in BB Pro 1.5.2.2. Specifically, the keywords were inserted using the "Keywords" tab "Edit IPTC/XMP Data" option. Then, the EXIF/IPTC/XMP data were cloned from the originals to the edits before uploading the edits to SmugMug.

Here are 2 examples that I just uploaded. The comment on the 2nd one shows the embedded XML with the keywords...

http://edurant.smugmug.com/gallery/1593071/1/90798309
    http://edurant.smugmug.com/gallery/1593071/1/90799764/Large#comment

Looking inside the .jpg files uploaded to SmugMug, I see that the keywords are inside an rdf:Description tag with xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/". The keywords themselves are embedded in rdf:li tags which are inside an rdf:Bag, which is inside dc:subject.

This is what BB Pro produces; I'm not sure if it is correct way to embed keywords.

Thanks,

Eric
  • Options
    juliankjuliank Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    Add a 'flier' or other promo info with orders
    Perhaps somebody else suggested something like this in the past ... it would be nice to have an option to be able to add our own promo 'flier' with every order sent out, e.g. with some studio info, thank you card or a seasonal promotion. This could be in a separate gallery and added/turned on via the control panel.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2006
    juliank wrote:
    Perhaps somebody else suggested something like this in the past ... it would be nice to have an option to be able to add our own promo 'flier' with every order sent out, e.g. with some studio info, thank you card or a seasonal promotion. This could be in a separate gallery and added/turned on via the control panel.

Thanks for the suggestion! Moving to the feature requests thread.
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2006
    How about some Smuggy upgrades?
    The drop area on the Universal Drag & Drop uploader is pretty small compared to the window and it's off at the right-hand side, so I can't just shrink the window around it. This makes it awkward to re-arrange the windows on my monitor so I can easily drag stuff from my cataloging software to the Smuggy.

Would it makes sense to have a miniature pop-up Green Smuggy window?

I just want a small window where I can drop stuff, not much larger than the Smuggy applet, with the name of the destination gallery on it. This way I can open a couple of Smuggy windows to different galleries and sort my pictures into them.

(This is motivated by my workflow. I want choose a picture in the catalog, send it to Photoshop, make my adjustments, save the new image, and drag the image to the Smuggy for uploading. Then start on the next image while that one is uploading. Repeat over and over and over.)

That brings up another problem. Every batch of photos I drop onto the applet apparently starts an independent upload session with a separate tracking window. How about just adding the new batch to the existing queue and putting the progress bar in the smuggy window somewhere?

While I'm on a roll, how about allowing me to change target galleries from the Smuggy uploader window so I can send a few to one gallery, a few to another, and have them all queue up in an orderly fashion one after another?

Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    mdraughn wrote:
    The drop area on the Universal Drag & Drop uploader is pretty small compared to the window and it's off at the right-hand side, so I can't just shrink the window around it. This makes it awkward to re-arrange the windows on my monitor so I can easily drag stuff from my cataloging software to the Smuggy.

Would it makes sense to have a miniature pop-up Green Smuggy window?

I think Club Photo had the easiest uploader to use... it was an icon on my desktop. whenever I wanted to upload some pics, I just dragged and dropped them on the icon... I dialog box popped up asking which gallery to put the pics in, or I could create one right there... and that was it. Of course it had a login feature that could remember my password, so it would not ask for that if you don't want it to.

Nothing fancy, it just worked easy.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I would like to see a feature where I can issue someone credits or a coupon toward the purchase of prints. The main reason is so I can pre-sell prints of sporting events.

I am okay with Pre-paying SM for this. Maybe something like this. I get a check/cash for $50 prepay, so the client ensures I get some photos of their child. I then come home and pay SM the $50 I received and issue the client some type of coupon or coupon number (or gift certificate) via email that they can use to buy prints from SM.

I am okay that the gift certificate could be used SM wide. This would just be an easy way from me to take "pre orders".

Thoughts?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Don't display password-protected gallery description in public
    For password-protected galleries, please hide the description in public areas, this includes the alt and title on the gallery thumbnail image and the visible description under the gallery title.

For background info on this request see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=37213
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Copy Photos - copy and move photo in one step
    Currently to get a copy of a photo into another gallery one must make a 2nd copy of the photo and then move it to the other gallery.

I think two new photo tools commands "Copy Photos" / "Copy Photos (Expert)" should be added to make and move a copy of any photo to a new gallery. The UI could be very similar to the existing Move Photos UI.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    BeachBill wrote:
    Currently to get a copy of a photo into another gallery one must make a 2nd copy of the photo and then move it to the other gallery.

I think two new photo tools commands "Copy Photos" / "Copy Photos (Expert)" should be added to make and move a copy of any photo to a new gallery. The UI could be very similar to the existing Move Photos UI.
    How about just adding to the "move photo" page
    a check box or button to move a copy or the original.
    And please stay on that page and not go to the "moved to" page.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    SORT Statistics by Highest to Lowest.
    I'd like to have the option to have the overall bandwidth statistics sorted from highest to lowest by overall download bandwidth. Ditto for the image statistics once you have clicked on the gallery stats to view all the image data.

This would allow for us to quickly see which galleries are gathering the largest amount of downloads and catch issues early if some rogue site(s) start linking to particular images.

It may also be useful to be able to sort by "hits" as versus "bandwidth", in descending order.

I don't particularly require that the newest galleries be listed at the top of the statistics page as per how the system now shows gallery stats. If I really want to see what a particular gallery is doing I can always use the browsers' CTRL-F function to search on the galleries name.

• Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Allen wrote:
    How about just adding to the "move photo" page
    a check box or button to move a copy or the original.
    And please stay on that page and not go to the "moved to" page.
    Al

Copy to another gallery either as a separate "copy" command or as a combined "move or copy" command is still my top feature request. I have project galleries, and then I have show-off galleries for my favorite stuff. This would make it easier to manage.
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    Backprinting: SMUGYEARTAKEN
    In addition to SMUGDATETAKEN can we have a SMUGYEARTAKEN token as well.

This will help greatly in providing the first-year-of-publication for an image's back-print.

E.g.
    (c) SMUGYEARTAKEN Anton Spaans --> (c) 2006 Anton Spaans

Thanks!
    -- Anton.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I dont know if it has been requested or not - I like the 'featured gallery' functionality...perhaps more than four featured galleries at a given time...
    I dont know - pick a prime number ne_nau.gif

- jr