Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Is this a bug in the customise categories section or is it supposed to be completely not alphabetical?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    Is this a bug in the customise categories section or is it supposed to be completely not alphabetical?
    Nope, not a bug - just dum - there's a difference, yknow :D

JT's gonna be getting to all that in due time....
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Nope, not a bug - just dum - there's a difference, yknow :D

JT's gonna be getting to all that in due time....

OH - OK - sorry :cry mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    RSS Feeds fail feed validators. In particular, this affects the ability of feeds to be used with some external applications, such as the Google AJAX Slideshow.

Please see this thread for details:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=592398#post592398
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 12, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    RSS Feeds fail feed validators. In particular, this affects the ability of feeds to be used with some external applications, such as the Google AJAX Slideshow.

Please see this thread for details:
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=592398#post592398

G'day Ryan,

I have been working on fixing up of feeds, but they have temporarily taken a back seat due to a rewrite of the MacUploader.

Hopefully, it won't be too long before I get them released.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    aerphotographyaerphotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2007
    Unable to use cart
    Thank you to the webmaster for fixing my Dgrin account so I could ask for help. The Wiki system is not currently adding new users as they migrate to Google, so don't bother trying to report bugs there unless you're already a registered user. (Don't we all need yet another account to manage?)

We are recent subscribers to Smugmug pro (aerphotography) and have NEVER been able to successfully use the cart. We tried again late last week when you apparently had some outages and database failures. Although it is agonizingly S-L-O-W, I can now successfully select and add multiple images to the cart. I just can't get to the next step:

TO CART >>

After it says "Loading" for several minutes, I get an error message indicating the connection was reset because the server is unavailable or too busy. My wife is the photographer and I'm her tech support. She already wants to give up on Smugmug saying, "it looks great, but it doesn't work." We came over from Printroom after several clients complained about it. I still want to try to resolve these things. Have you guys experienced rapid growth that is straining your server/bandwidth resources? (and please don't skip this question in your reply.)

As I write this, I'm still adding images to the cart--one at a time. It is hard for me to understand why this part of the process would be so slow.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Thank you to the webmaster for fixing my Dgrin account so I could ask for help. The Wiki system is not currently adding new users as they migrate to Google, so don't bother trying to report bugs there unless you're already a registered user. (Don't we all need yet another account to manage?)

We are recent subscribers to Smugmug pro (aerphotography) and have NEVER been able to successfully use the cart. We tried again late last week when you apparently had some outages and database failures. Although it is agonizingly S-L-O-W, I can now successfully select and add multiple images to the cart. I just can't get to the next step:

TO CART >>

After it says "Loading" for several minutes, I get an error message indicating the connection was reset because the server is unavailable or too busy. My wife is the photographer and I'm her tech support. She already wants to give up on Smugmug saying, "it looks great, but it doesn't work." We came over from Printroom after several clients complained about it. I still want to try to resolve these things. Have you guys experienced rapid growth that is straining your server/bandwidth resources? (and please don't skip this question in your reply.)

As I write this, I'm still adding images to the cart--one at a time. It is hard for me to understand why this part of the process would be so slow.
    Hi - we are working on improving the cart speed. I'm so sorry that it's affecting you.
  • Options
    aerphotographyaerphotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2007
    Waiting for www.smugmug.com
    Andy wrote:
    Hi - we are working on improving the cart speed. I'm so sorry that it's affecting you.

Uh, hello. The add photos to cart is slow but it works. The real problem is I can't get to the cart after adding photos. The status bar says "Waiting for www.smugmug.com" and there is no apparent activity until the request times out and generates the error message.

Anne, a Suppport Hero, suggested I enter smaller orders like 100 at a time, but the "on to cart >>" request just times out the same way even if I'm ordering only one photo. This happens on OS X, on Windows XP, Firefox 1, Firefox 2, logged in, or logged out.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Uh, hello. The add photos to cart is slow but it works. The real problem is I can't get to the cart after adding photos. The status bar says "Waiting for www.smugmug.com" and there is no apparent activity until the request times out and generates the error message.

Anne, a Suppport Hero, suggested I enter smaller orders like 100 at a time, but the "on to cart >>" request just times out the same way even if I'm ordering only one photo. This happens on OS X, on Windows XP, Firefox 1, Firefox 2, logged in, or logged out.
    It is all related, and we hope to improve the process for all customers. I'm sorry that you are experiencing a timeout - that is not normal.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007

Hi,

My first thought is that you might have a bunch of images sitting in your cart, so when you go to load the cart page (even if you've only added a single image just now), the cart is trying to generate thumbs, cropping, and prices for many many images.

If you were to dump out your cart so it was squeaky clean, I would certainly expect adding one image to the cart would cause no trouble and the cart would be kicky fast for you.

Of course, ideally you would be able to have 100s of images in your cart on a home connection and it would still be fast with no time-out errors. As Andy mentioned, this is definitely on our radar and we've made it priority to fix it!

Let's keep discussing this via email, you and I, so I can get some more details from you, ok?

-Anne
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Rotate photos not working for guest logins
    Dear Folks

If a guest login tries to rotate a photo they can go through the normal photo selection process and request the rotate. They will then be taken to the page that says that the rotate will happen in background. However when they then click on the 'continue to use smugmug' link they will go to a page saying that that gallery doesn't exist. The rotation will also not happen.
    Following exactly the same process on the same computer but logged in as the regular user rather than guest works perfectly.

tx + best wishes to all
    Richard

ps. I couldn't enter this on the wiki bug report page as I didn't know who to assign this to. Is it possible to add an 'unassigned' person to the list?
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2007
    richpepp wrote:
    Dear Folks

If a guest login tries to rotate a photo they can go through the normal photo selection process and request the rotate. They will then be taken to the page that says that the rotate will happen in background. However when they then click on the 'continue to use smugmug' link they will go to a page saying that that gallery doesn't exist. The rotation will also not happen.
    Following exactly the same process on the same computer but logged in as the regular user rather than guest works perfectly.

tx + best wishes to all
    Richard

ps. I couldn't enter this on the wiki bug report page as I didn't know who to assign this to. Is it possible to add an 'unassigned' person to the list?
    Hi Rich, thanks it's been validated and logged on our internal bug system.
  • Options
    mdraughnmdraughn Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    When I was looking at this page in my gallery

http://mdraughn.smugmug.com/gallery/3206607#176840693

the layout changed every second or so, as if your Javascript layout algorithm is changing its mind. It did it continuously for at least 20 minutes before I killed it.

I'm running Windows XP with IE 7.0.5730.11, with Google and Alexa toolbars. I was logged in to smugmug, viewing in smugmug style. Spy++ reported the client window was sized to 1000x789.

I sent a message to your help desk and Sebastian Hosche was unable to reproduce the problem. When I tried to re-create it, I couldn't either.

One difference I noticed that might be significant is that normally when the window is tall enough to display the entire page, the vertical scroll bar remains present, but the slider vanishes. However, back when I was having the problem, the entire scroll bar would vanish when it wasn't needed. (Perhaps a behavior carried over from some previous page?)

Could be that when the layout code switched to large mode, the page got taller, which forced it to have to scroll, which popped up the vertical scroll bar, which reduced the available width, which caused the layout to switch to the small mode, which made the page shorter, which eliminated the scroll bars, which increased the available width, which caused the layout to swich to large mode...

This is not a high-priority issue for me, and the obvious work-around is to resize the window, but I thought you folks might be excited by new and interesting ways to break things.

(If you want, I can provide screen captures and a copy of the HTML saved by IE.)

-- Mark
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    mdraughn wrote:
    When I was looking at this page in my gallery

http://mdraughn.smugmug.com/gallery/3206607#176840693

the layout changed every second or so, as if your Javascript layout algorithm is changing its mind. It did it continuously for at least 20 minutes before I killed it.

I'm running Windows XP with IE 7.0.5730.11, with Google and Alexa toolbars. I was logged in to smugmug, viewing in smugmug style. Spy++ reported the client window was sized to 1000x789.
    Mark,
    Thanks for taking the time to report this. We'll keep an eye on it and I'll try reproducing it again later on.

Sebastian

EDIT: I did some more testing, but it didn't happen to me. It might be a IE7 thing, but in IE6 I can't make the vertical scrollbar disappear no matter how high I make the window. I also tried again your window sizes - all was good for me.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    The bulk image/PIC mover seems to be broke?
    Please see this link: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=68027
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Not a validated bug, thanks. Please see my response there.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Not a validated bug, thanks. Please see my response there.
    Yep... the bug is on my end. Please see MY response.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2007
    Arrange galleries bug?
    On several occasions in the past couple of days after re-arranging galleries and clicking 'save changes' instead of going back to the galleries page I get 'create a new gallery for your adoring fans' but going back to my home page and accessing the category, in this case music and dance, the galleries are arranged as I had selected.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    On several occasions in the past couple of days after re-arranging galleries and clicking 'save changes' instead of going back to the galleries page I get 'create a new gallery for your adoring fans' but going back to my home page and accessing the category, in this case music and dance, the galleries are arranged as I had selected.

Caroline
    Hi Caroline can we get some links and exact steps to try and reproduce? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Caroline can we get some links and exact steps to try and reproduce? Thanks.

Hi Andy
    http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Music%20&%20Dance
    Click 'Arrange'
    Changed Mendip Stave Dancers from position 7 to postition 2

'Save changes' goes to
    http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Music%20&%20Dance

Return to http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/Music%20&%20Dance by pasting link back in and the changes show up correctly.
    However, every time I try to re-arrange the galleries, after changing the positions and clicking 'Save changes' I end up going to http://www.carolineshipsey.co.uk/gallery/create.mg

FF 2.0.0.6 OS 10.4.10

Anything else ?

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Anything else ?

Caroline

Nope - that's perfect. I replicated internally and bugged it.

I know the cause, it's the & ampersand in the category name. We'll fix that.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Nope - that's perfect. I replicated internally and bugged it.

I know the cause, it's the & ampersand in the category name. We'll fix that.

Thanks Andythumb.gif

[/URL]
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Gallery caption missing
    Hi All

I can work around the image caption +'s by touching the captions in the bulk editor, but I can't find a work around to make the gallery caption show here:
    http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/Colorado%202007
    on the Black Canyon gallery. Inside the gallery, the caption shows correctly. What can i do to make it show at the category level?

Thanks,

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    Possible bug with 'all thumbs'
    Using this gallery as an example
    http://carolineshipsey.smugmug.com/gallery/3350977/

When set to 'all thumbs' style, and in customization originals set to 'no' if I click on any image this is what displays beneath it

caroline_shipsey_photography-landscape___life_on_the_mendip_hills-20070823-082211.jpg

showing the 'O' for original, and the original is accesible. Right clicking gives the pop up warning and prevents saving so that is OK, but is this normal display ?

I'm using this gallery as an example as I have just created it but the same behavour occurs if I change the settings on other galleries.

Also I have 'photorank' enabled in customization for this gallery but there is no 'thumbs' flyout ? I'm not sure whether I have somehow prevented this in my customization but I didn't think this was the case.

Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    Tractors turning
    I don't often do much to my galleries but it seems whenever I do someting glitches
    http://digital-finger.smugmug.com/

This time images were rotating themselvesheadscratch.gif

I made some small changes not related to rotating on my galleries only to find that when reloading a few images had rotated, fortunately they could be rotated back ok but a bit odf a pain to do each time

It was yesterday so sorry forgotten which galleries it was specifically

......Just reminded me of those road signs 'tractors turning' (I expect to see them rotating in the Air!)mwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Using this gallery as an example
    http://carolineshipsey.smugmug.com/gallery/3350977/

When set to 'all thumbs' style, and in customization originals set to 'no' if I click on any image this is what displays beneath it

caroline_shipsey_photography-landscape___life_on_the_mendip_hills-20070823-082211.jpg

showing the 'O' for original, and the original is accesible. Right clicking gives the pop up warning and prevents saving so that is OK, but is this normal display ?
    NotAbug - notice that the url /Original is there, but it only shows the Large size. Your original is not shown at all. As designed, to prevent bad urls from causing blank pages for viewers (like if you DO allow originals, and then you change, and I still have a /Original link, at least I'll still have a valid link :)

I'm using this gallery as an example as I have just created it but the same behavour occurs if I change the settings on other galleries.

Also I have 'photorank' enabled in customization for this gallery but there is no 'thumbs' flyout ? I'm not sure whether I have somehow prevented this in my customization but I didn't think this was the case.

Caroline
    NotAbug - you have put this in your Javascript, blocking the thumbs from appearing:
    displaySmugPopular = false;
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    Hi Andy
    Andy wrote:
    NotAbug - notice that the url /Original is there, but it only shows the Large size. Your original is not shown at all. As designed, to prevent bad urls from causing blank pages for viewers (like if you DO allow originals, and then you change, and I still have a /Original link, at least I'll still have a valid link :)

I thought you probably had a valid explanation for this :)

NotAbug - you have put this in your Javascript, blocking the thumbs from appearing:
    displaySmugPopular = false;
    Goodness me I wonder when I did that ? Someone must surely have helped me. Never thought to look in Javascript and probably wouldn't have recognized it anyway - so I've learnt something new again today.

Sorry for wasting your time Andy,
    Cheers
    Caroline

[/URL]
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2007
    I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned this before, but in case I am wrong, the iPhoto uploader is suddenly acting oddly. I have used this since January with no (or few) issues, but in the last week to 10 days, when I use the Smugmug Uploader to upload directly from iPhoto, the photos all go to the wrong gallery. Usually a gallery that is close to my intended gallery on the list (sometimes one up or one down on the list). So, I will upload 40 photos and not know where they went, and then have to do a search for them (thank god for the search tool). Then move them to the correct gallery. And pray that the client whose gallery they erroneously went to is not currently viewing her/his gallery and wondering why a strangers' proofs are in there.

Did you recently make changes to the uploader? I don't know why this would be happening all of the sudden after months of usage.
  • Options
    glasbergenglasbergen Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    'Basic' tab on Photo Information window sometimes missing
    Don't know how to best describe this, so I took a screenshot (cropped):

189633218-M.jpg

As you can see the 'Basic' tab in the Photo Information window is missing and only the 'Detailed' tab is showing. The information in the windows itself is normally found under the 'Basic' tab. This only happens when I enter a smugmug style gallery and press Photo Info for the first time (during that visit to the gallery). As soon as I mouse over the Photo Information window it looks normal again and it stays that way until I visit the gallery again (or any other smugmug style gallery). headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    I'm pretty sure someone has mentioned this before, but in case I am wrong, the iPhoto uploader is suddenly acting oddly. I have used this since January with no (or few) issues, but in the last week to 10 days, when I use the Smugmug Uploader to upload directly from iPhoto, the photos all go to the wrong gallery. Usually a gallery that is close to my intended gallery on the list (sometimes one up or one down on the list). So, I will upload 40 photos and not know where they went, and then have to do a search for them (thank god for the search tool). Then move them to the correct gallery. And pray that the client whose gallery they erroneously went to is not currently viewing her/his gallery and wondering why a strangers' proofs are in there.

Did you recently make changes to the uploader? I don't know why this would be happening all of the sudden after months of usage.
    The old version doesn't update automatically.

Please remove the old uploader, and download/install the new uploader, here. That should take care of all your problems (with regards to iPhoto uploading anyway :D )
This discussion has been closed.