Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Smugmug does not blow up your original images as best I know.

True that :jfriend

We don't alter your originals :)
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    New photos get SmugMugnified automatically. Olde photos need to be made so. We've given you a button to do that.

Set your feed reader or subscription to our Release Notes, Seymore, you're a 'puter geek :D And you'll never miss a beat thumb.gif
    Well, it would also be nice if we could un-SmugMungous a gallery.
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, it would also be nice if we could un-SmugMungous a gallery.
    Huh? I guess I'm very stumped by your request, Seymore... you can block the sizes in your gallery settings, set a template, etc... Is there an issue I'm not aware of?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Huh? I guess I'm very stumped by your request, Seymore... you can block the sizes in your gallery settings, set a template, etc... Is there an issue I'm not aware of?
    Well, I'd like to display S/M/L/O only. But it looks like that's not an option for someone with nothing but simple HTML coding experience.

(BTW... a HW, not SW, geek here.)
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Well, I'd like to display S/M/L/O only. But it looks like that's not an option for someone with nothing but simple HTML coding experience.

(BTW... a HW, not SW, geek here.)
    Large is SOOOO yesterday. Monitors are HUGE now. SmugMungous... mmmm.... soooo big & good.
  • Options
    CWNCWN Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2007
    Problem with glaery photos
    Hello Andy - can you take a look at this gallery and let me know what you think is going on?

http://cwnphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3677222#210469306

The only way to view those correctly is to view the original size, then there is no issue.

Thank you!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    CWN wrote:
    Hello Andy - can you take a look at this gallery and let me know what you think is going on?

http://cwnphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/3677222#210469306

The only way to view those correctly is to view the original size, then there is no issue.

Thank you!

I would guess that you've messed with the sharpening settings in customize gallery (either intentionally or unintentionally). These look like images that are significantly oversharpened when the smaller sizes were made. I would suggest resetting the sharpening settings to their default values (which are listed in the customize gallery dialog) and then regenerating your images with the gallery tools/Smugmongous feature.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I would guess that you've messed with the sharpening settings in customize gallery (either intentionally or unintentionally). These look like images that are significantly oversharpened when the smaller sizes were made. I would suggest resetting the sharpening settings to their default values (which are listed in the customize gallery dialog) and then regenerating your images with the gallery tools/Smugmongous feature.

I assumed that was what happened as well and set the sharpening back to default values, but it didn't fix what was wrong.

How do you "regenerate" an image?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Large is SOOOO yesterday. Monitors are HUGE now. SmugMungous... mmmm.... soooo big & good.
    Maybe for you. But I know quite a few people who are still at 1024x768 max on 17's and 19's. Not everyone has the big bux you have for gear Andy, and some of them don't care to have a 21" monitor.

FYI, yesterday was good. Seems to me you don't remember that. And the "bigger is better" attitude don't make it right.

EOC...
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    CWN wrote:
    let me know what you think is going on?
    Yeah - did you mess with the sharpening? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    CWN wrote:
    I assumed that was what happened as well and set the sharpening back to default values, but it didn't fix what was wrong.

How do you "regenerate" an image?

Go to gallery tools, select Smugmongous, then select all your thumbs and say go. It might regenerate all your thumbs. If it doesn't work (it might take a few minutes to do it), then you can rotate them left, wait for the rotation to be done, then rotate right.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Go to gallery tools, select Smugmongous, then select all your thumbs and say go. It might regenerate all your thumbs. If it doesn't work (it might take a few minutes to do it), then you can rotate them left, wait for the rotation to be done, then rotate right.
    Can't use the SmugMungous tool, since they are already SmugMugnified.

Watermark the whole gallery again, that'll do it.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Maybe for you. But I know quite a few people who are still at 1024x768 max on 17's and 19's. Not everyone has the big bux you have for gear Andy, and some of them don't care to have a 21" monitor.

FYI, yesterday was good. Seems to me you don't remember that. And the "bigger is better" attitude don't make it right.

EOC...

Is there a problem letting people with larger monitors view the XL size? It's not forced on anyone. It never comes up by default on a screen that it won't fit on. The idea is that Smugmug can now display the size that best fits on your screen. If all your viewers still have smaller monitors, then nothing will really change for your web-site. But, if a few have large rmonitors, they will now have an enhanced viewing experience. This should be win/win.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can't use the SmugMungous tool, since they are already SmugMugnified.

Watermark the whole gallery again, that'll do it.

thumb.gif

Re-Watermarking the gallery took care of it - thank you!
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

EOC...
    Ouch, Seymore, I'm so sorry we've upset you. Yes, I recall you asking us to stop innovating, well, thankfully, we're not :) I don't want to be part o fa company like that. Our hope is to bring new features to people, lead the industry, do it with style. Enhancing the user experience, and always looking to improve performance, too.

Again, I'm very sorry you are upset with our new features.

Please see Jfriend's post above, it should help soothe things. We don't serve up sizes that won't fit properly on your visitors' screens, no matter if they have an iPhone, or are on 1024x768 or have dual 30" monitors, or are viewing via AppleTV and a gigantic 60" HDTV. All should be happy thumb.gif
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 26, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

EOC...
    I'm curious - you have originals enabled, and you're complaining about the new XL, X2L, and X3L sizes being too big. Yet the originals are the largest size, bigger than any of the new sizes. Is there some reason why you wouldn't want to reset your galleries to protect your originals and use one of the new sizes for viewing?

--- Denise
  • Options
    fmedinafmedina Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2007
    Is anyone working on correcting graph (stats) problem?
    Non of my new galleries are updating the hits correctly, I am not even sure the individual image stats are correct anymore. the subject seems to hev been dropped but it is getting annoying not being able to see which galleries are the popular ones.

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

thanks,
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    fmedina wrote:

Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller?

thanks,

Not sure who Bueller is but our engineers are working on the graphs. Your stats are still registering, click through to the gallery statistics....

If you have a power or pro account, there are more stats options, statcounter and google analytics - just making sure you are aware :)
  • Options
    Steve Knight PhotoSteve Knight Photo Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    I have been having the same gallery stats issue for about two weeks. I use Google Analytics, but I love having a quick snapshot of my site activity that the Smugmug stats give. Is it possible that the maintenance window tonight will address the problem?

By the way, "Bueller, Bueller" is from the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Andy: If you ever get a chance to watch it you will never think of Wayne Newton in the same way again!:D

Steve
    www.steveknightphoto.com
  • Options
    JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    We're having some temporary difficulties. We expect full service to resume shortly.
    Is everyone seeing this otr just me? Can't login. Just checking.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    JohnnyJr wrote:
    Is everyone seeing this otr just me? Can't login. Just checking.
    all fixed try now :)
  • Options
    JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Groovy, thanks!
    I couldn't log out and just wanted to double check. Thanks for the quick update!
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    "We couldn't bill that credit card...
    Please double-check your billing information and try again."

I keep getting this message when trying to pay for a print order. I have tried using three different credit cards, and I have triple checked the billing address. I am not sure if there is a problem with the payment system right now or what.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    noeltykay wrote:
    Please double-check your billing information and try again."

I keep getting this message when trying to pay for a print order. I have tried using three different credit cards, and I have triple checked the billing address. I am not sure if there is a problem with the payment system right now or what.
    Hi Noel,

Can you email me at the helpdesk, with the last 5 digits of your credit card so that I can have a look at what's going on?
  • Options
    noeltykaynoeltykay Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Noel,

Can you email me at the helpdesk, with the last 5 digits of your credit card so that I can have a look at what's going on?

When I awoke this morning it worked. ne_nau.gif Not sure what happened...but I am a happy Smugger again!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    noeltykay wrote:
    but I am a happy Smugger again!
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Stats
    How come one of my private galleries is showing originals in the stats page when my maximum is set to medium? This is a gallery I have not even openned to the public yet. I did not open any originals.

217774764-M.jpg

Here is the link to the gallery.
    http://mjrphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3774659#217402284
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    fmedinafmedina Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2007
    you're getting more than I am on graphs
    My graphs don't even show anything other than thub hits. I have to go into details to see hits for different sizes. Your problem might be part of this bug on the graphs.. maybe.. I understand they are working on graphs problems for at least a week, but i have not seen any progress.

MJRPHOTO wrote:
    How come one of my private galleries is showing originals in the stats page when my maximum is set to medium? This is a gallery I have not even openned to the public yet. I did not open any originals.

217774764-M.jpg

Here is the link to the gallery.
    http://mjrphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/3774659#217402284
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    fmedina wrote:
    My graphs don't even show anything other than thub hits. I have to go into details to see hits for different sizes. Your problem might be part of this bug on the graphs.. maybe.. I understand they are working on graphs problems for at least a week, but i have not seen any progress.
    They also show up as hits in the details page.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    This one is annoying me
    Smugmug has been annoying me occasionally because of one simple behavior. I click the checkbox for rearrange galleries. I move a few photos around (usually putting a different one in the first position). Everything looks like it worked. I go away. I come back. None of the new arrangement is showing. It's as if everything I did was just thrown away.

Now, after doing this many times, I happen to know that if I go to customize gallery and manually change the sort order to "position", some of the manual sort order will come back.

But, this is really annoying. When I manually rearrange images with the "arrange mode" checkbox ON, what else could I possibly want to do but to change the gallery presentation order to what I'm dragging/dropping. Smugmug should just change the sort order to "position" automatically whenever I drag/drop something. There is no other possible meaning of dragging images into a new position. It should DWIM (do what I mean), rather than making me think that it's ignoring all my changes and then making me manually change some configuration setting in order to get it to DWIM.

Other possible behaviors that are better than what it does now, but not as good as just doing it are:
    • Disable the "arrange mode" checkbox if not in "position" sort.
    • Give you an informative error message if you check the "arrange mode" checkbox and you are not in "position" sort.
    • Give you an informative error message after you drag/drop some images telling you that the new order won't take place until you change the sort order to "position" sort.
    Since all of these is far less than ideal, hopefully you can begin to see that you ought to just change the sort to "position" automatically.

Is this a huge deal? No. Is it one of those fine polish things that either leaves you in an enjoyable mood after interacting with Smugmug or a frustrated mood? Yes.

Now, before somebody says this isn't a bug, I'm not going to argue the technical definition of a bug. In the customer's eyes a bug is any behavior that doesn't work the way they thought it would and should.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.