Options

Shootout '07: Glacier National Park--info/lodging/signup

Comments

• Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up Davev (or should I say Kate). ne_nau.gif

2 hours to get to the other side (4 hour round trip)??? I just might be sleeping in the Armada a night or two to save time/gas. :D
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hmmm, wish I'd said that......

:hide

Sorry Ann, I haven't been following the travel thread to much.

I'm not sure where the morning shots are in the park. Hopefully they're closer to St. Mary's and not on the other side of the Tunnel.

I'm sure Adam has a book or 2 mentioning where to be when for sunrise shots.:D
    I did a quick look at sunrise/sunset times, sunrise is around 7:03, sunset around 7:08.
    The cool thing is we get a full moon on the 26th.

Like I say, a little homework will need to be done.:D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    davev wrote:
    I'm not sure where the morning shots are in the park. Hopefully they're closer to St. Mary's and not on the other side of the Tunnel.

I did a quick Google Seach on sunrise photo Glacier National Park, the first thing to pop up was "Sunrise of St. Mark Lake" (nice pic!). We might not have to travel very far for the sunrise pics, sunset might be a different issue.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    I found this useful link...

All the sunrise and sunset info you could want for Glacier National Park:

http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/glacier-national-park-montana.html
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    This is my first shootout. How does it work? Does everyone split up in groups and do what they feel like or is there some structure?
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    This is my first shootout. How does it work? Does everyone split up in groups and do what they feel like or is there some structure?

Honestly, the best answer is: yes. :D

It's very low-key. The pros will let you know where they will be shooting that day, and you'll be welcome to join any one of them, or go off on your own.

The shootouts are not formal workshops. They are more informal get-togethers where SmugMug has been gracious enough to provide us with pros to instruct us. It's a gift from SmugMug (the pro fees).
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2007
    I definitely "get" the spirit of the Shootout and am grateful for SmugMug paying the tab for the pros. I was just wondering how things go. I'm really excited to get out there. So close I can taste it.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Terrence wrote:
    I definitely "get" the spirit of the Shootout and am grateful for SmugMug paying the tab for the pros. I was just wondering how things go. I'm really excited to get out there. So close I can taste it.

Like David said, it's relaxed.

Folks will mill around and talk about where they're going next, someone will say that it sounds like a good idea, BAM! You've got a group going to take some shots. In that small or large group you'll have a mix of talent. Some newbees, some old pros (Andy):D You share techniques/styles and for some reason smile and laugh a lot.

Kate and I went last year and had a good time meeting the other folks that post here.
    I can't see that this year will be any different.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    Terrence wrote:

We will be sure and supply an intrepter so that when Gus speaks to you, you will know what he just said okay rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited August 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    We will be sure and supply an intrepter so that when Gus speaks to you, you will know what he just said okay rolleyes1.gif
    .... Skippy :D

Well, that would be either yourself or devbo. deal.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Well, that would be either yourself or devbo. deal.gif

Ahhhhhhhhahaha we might even fail at that role too ya know rolleyes1.gif
    ... Skippy rolleyes1.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2007
    davev wrote:
    Kate and I went last year and had a good time meeting the other folks that post here.

Yes, it was great hanging out with Kate.:D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2007
    THE Car Thread please see and post your info:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=609439#post609439
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Question: Is it still possible for someone else to join in? I've got a buddy that might be interested in coming along...

I'm currently working out the details with him, and hopefully I will know for sure in the next few days...

Thanks,
    Ben
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Bendr wrote:
    Question: Is it still possible for someone else to join in? I've got a buddy that might be interested in coming along...

I'm currently working out the details with him, and hopefully I will know for sure in the next few days...

Thanks,
    Ben
    Hi Ben, I'm sorry the trip is full up.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Ben, I'm sorry the trip is full up.

Darn... :( I was hoping to have a carpool buddy... maybe someone will drop out, or perhaps someone still hasn't made travel plans...
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    Admitedly a newbish and anal question
    The Shootout is my first photography trip and I'm finalizing my gear list. I know this is a real newbish thing to ask, but I'd appreciate some eyeballs on this so I don't get to Montana cursing my lack of something key.

Rebel XT w/ batteries and charger
    30D w/ grip, batteries and charger
    580EX flash w/ extra batteries
    100-400mm
    12-24mm
    24-105mm
    Circular polarizer
    UV filters
    Sekonic meter w/ extra battery
    Tripod, head and mounting plates
    Shutter release
    Lens cleaning kit
    Lens and body caps
    Lens hoods
    CF cards (I have 45GB worth, so no laptop planned)
    ThinkTank and Crumpler bags for transport and in-the-field use

The one thing I'm not sure on and I'm low on funds is an ND filter. Any reccomendations for a good filter to get me through the trip?
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Looks good man. I am bringing a 3 stop ND filter but will probably get one more before I come out....but those 77mm ones cost a ton.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Hmmm 45 Gig...will that be enough? I guess I better hope so because I am going to rely on my P2000 - 40 gig I think. (note to self - think about storage).

I see you have tripod and polarizer covered. I need to look after that, and an ND filter too - but for which lens?

Last year many of us found it helpful to have camel backs for water - mine fit into the laptop compartment on my backpack.

Anybody thinking about bear bells? mwink.gifmwink.gif

ann
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Not familiar with Glacier park... will there be a place near/at the lodge to buy bottles of water for each day or is a refillable contraption like Anne's camelback a better option?
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Problem with bottle of water - how are you going to carry it while hiking?

http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

I have a resevoir with an insulating cover:
    http://www.camelbak.com/index.cfm

3L of water in my backpack, drinking tube out front, easy access without putting anything down.

ann

schmooo wrote:
    Not familiar with Glacier park... will there be a place near/at the lodge to buy bottles of water for each day or is a refillable contraption like Anne's camelback a better option?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2007
    Need some ideas or inspiration for the GNP trip?

Check out the September 2007 issue of National Geographic Magazine (page 60). There is an article on Glacier National Park and Waterton Lakes National Park (just North across the border in Canada). Amazing pictures!
    Andrew

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited August 26, 2007
    What time of the morning are we meeting up on the 25th? Also, the last day, Sunday the 30th, are there any activities planned and up until what time?

Reason I'm asking is I need to make hotel reservations along the way there and again back home, so I need to figure driving time/distance to and from.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    What time of the morning are we meeting up on the 25th? Also, the last day, Sunday the 30th, are there any activities planned and up until what time?

Reason I'm asking is I need to make hotel reservations along the way there and again back home, so I need to figure driving time/distance to and from.

Reading is hard. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Looks like the latest issue of National Geographic has a bit on Glacier:

http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0709/glacier-waterton/glacier-waterton.html

More in the magazine.

Sam
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2007
    You can read the article and see the pics for free at http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0709/glacier-waterton/glacier-waterton.html
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Wow, those are Some amazing photos!
  • Options
    jdmphotojdmphoto Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I am new to SmugMug and I happened to see the Glacier National park shootout in the calendar section. I live in Columbia Falls, Montana just a short distance from the park and I am wondering if it would be possible to sign up for the shootout. I do not need a hotel reservation and have a car that could seat 3 more people if needed. I don't know how many days I would be able to attend yet, but I would very much like to attend. Please let me know if this is possible so I can make arrangements to take time off of work. Thank you very much.
    See my photo's athttp://jdmphoto.smugmug.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    jdmphoto wrote:
    I am new to SmugMug and I happened to see the Glacier National park shootout in the calendar section. I live in Columbia Falls, Montana just a short distance from the park and I am wondering if it would be possible to sign up for the shootout. I do not need a hotel reservation and have a car that could seat 3 more people if needed. I don't know how many days I would be able to attend yet, but I would very much like to attend. Please let me know if this is possible so I can make arrangements to take time off of work. Thank you very much.

I'm sorry to say that the shootout is full up. We do have other workshops, like the upcoming workshop in Shenandoah NP.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    Well my plane is booked and Im good to go. I chose to leave on monday for a cheaper fare....so after all is said and done Sunday I will hopefully get a ride to my hotel by the airport and chill out for the night. I cant wait. The Countdown is on.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net