Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #2

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    This was mentioned last December, any update?

In the cart if you pick "adjust crop" and do some adjustments there's no
    easy option to cancel and go back to cart if you change your mind.

Need a cancel or back button on adjust crop page.

Agreed. This needs to be fixed.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2007
    Here are some other requests, some are mine, some are copied other people's previous posts:

1. This is a request for prints that give you your entire print without anything trimmed off the edge.

When ordering some enlargements from Costco , I noticed that Costco now offers an option to get your prints with a border. You can get a white border or a black border. The great thing about this is that there is now a way to get your entire print on photo paper without anything trimmed off the edge of your photo. Since the border is an exact and predictable dimension, I can now get a full size print in a predictable size that turns out to be perfect for framing. If I order an 8x10 print or and 11x14 print with border, it's exactly right for framing without me having to leave any significant extra space in the photo. Without this, one has to leave almost 1/2" extra all the way around the photo (once for the trimming in the print process and once for the inset of the frame from the standard size).

I'd really like to see Smugmug offer this through their current printer or through a new printer. As it is today, it's next to impossible to order a print for framing unless it has a lot of extra space around all edges.

If you take a typical 3:2 dSLR photo and try to put it in an 8x10 frame or an 11x14 frame, you will find that you just can't do it unless the photo had massive amounts of extra space around the edge - e.g. it wasn't shot tight. It's bad enough just getting 3:2 down to 8x10, but add in all the extra crop you need for trim and frame and it's darn near impossible.

2. Make the comment "spam guard" optional? I only ever had one instance of spam on an image and I'd prefer not to bother viewers with having to enter it. I have had friends go on my site to sign the guestbook, only to give up because they didn't understand the spam filter. Lost comments = BAD. I know it seems basic to us, but remember some people out there are still very computer-illiterate.

3. I'd like the ability to specify the number of thumbnails per row and the thumbnail size on the gallery and gallery category pages. The current system where if there are less than 5 galleries you get big thumbnails, and if there are more than 5 you get small thumbnails is lame.

4. PANORAMIC PRINTS. Please, please, PLEASE implement this. 6:2 ratio would be perfect. If you look at my galleries, you'll see that I shoot a LOT of panos, and not having the option to buy pano prints has LOST ME SEVERAL SALES ALREADY. And no, I'm not interested in the workaround described here. I want the ability to offer REAL pano prints like any respectable landscape photographer.

5. Please make it so that I can right-click and "Copy" or "Cut" when I'm in the middle writing a post on the forum. Every other forum I know of allows this, and I'm not sure why the SM forums do not. It's a real pain.

THANKS FOR READING.

I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • Options
    TexasFamilyTexasFamily Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    a request for when you are logged into your account...

add a pull down menu to the "control panel" link at the top of the page, when you are logged in.
    a pull down menu just like the new pull down on the "add photos" link.

add photos
    Create
    New Gallery
    Existing Gallery
    etc...

a menu to go to each new tab...instead of always going to the "news" tab
    when you select the control panel link.

control panel
    news
    stats
    settings
    customize
    homepage

while i'm asking for menus...how about a menu navigation option
    instead of just the thumbnail navigation...it could eliminate everyone asking for sub-sub galleries

i know we aren't voting...
    but i like the virtual galleries idea i have been reading about.
    I can upload all my pictures and only have to show the ones we want people to see...with out creating two+ galleries/albums

Thanks for everything we already have...and for every thing that is coming!
    Edward
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    I also have this on my new camera and it tends to cause me problems since some software recognizes and some doesn't. Since I never post directly from the camera, I would prefer not to have this "feature", or better, to have it by default turned off, something I could turn on in customize gallery.
    My new camera has got an orientation sensor and mow I don't have to bother with rotating portrait format photos, except for that smugmug doesn't rotate those photos automaticly. It would be awesome if I didn't have to rotate them just for smugmug when I post photos directly out of the camera! thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    Shopping cart default
    I would very much like to have the default for the shopping cart be to add a white border when the aspect ratio doesn't fit the image. Many of my customers are just barely computer literate and have a great deal of trouble if the image needs cropping. This usually results in them not ordering the print.

I've seen some suggestions for being able to add a border so that framing would be easier to do, and I'd go along with that, a simple check box to add a half inch border (i.e. to shrink the image a bit).

What I'm asking for, however, is a way to handle the situation when a user selects a size without noticing, or perhaps not understanding, the warning that the image needs cropping. Instead of having the initial display show a red outline of the crop that will be there if they don't do anything, shrink the image to fit inside that box and show white outside the box.

I recently did a shoot of a dance event, and one of the shots was of the whole crew lined up on the stage. Due to clutter in the foreground, I'd cropped it to something more like 5 by 10 than any other size. The leader of the group really wanted a print of that, but of course under the current crop mechanism, she couldn't get everyone. I made an inkjet print for her at around 2.8 by 9.5 on an 8x10 paper and she was thrilled. I wish she could have done that through smugmug.

Brandon Smith
    http://synature.smugmug.com/
    Brandon Smith
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2007
    synature wrote:
    What I'm asking for, however, is a way to handle the situation when a user selects a size without noticing, or perhaps not understanding, the warning that the image needs cropping.

Hi, here's the way to handle it now:

Set your galleries for Proof Delay - then you see each order before it goes to the lab, and you can make any necessary changes.....

We very highly recommend our Pros make use of our Proof Delay feature.
    Proof Delay allows you to review the order before it's sent to print,
    make corrections and changes to the cropping as well as auto versus true
    color. Best of all, you have the opportunity to totally replace any
    image that is ordered, with your choice of a replacement, still allowing
    you to adjust the crop and color setting after replacing it. For more
    info on this, please see the links below which would eliminate any
    problems in the future:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelayForHappyCustomers
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelaySolveCroppingWoes

Please let us know if you have any questions on this, okay?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2007
    Thanks Andy,
    I will dig into the references you gave me.

But frankly, I am not going to do proof delay on the images for these folks -- they tend to buy 4x6 and 5x7 only and not that many of them. Wrong market, :-) I do enjoy covering these events, but I only do a quick edit pass through and put up only the shots I think they will want to see. If I can work out an easy way to size them perhaps with white space put in when out of aspect.

I still think an auto bordering default would be a good idea due to the fact that the low end customers are going to want to use low end frames which only come in a few standard sizes at places like Walmart, Walgreens and such -- 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 8.5x11 for example. And many cameras these days have aspect ratios that don't fit any of those -- but if you offered prints where the whole frame can be seen, even with a border, I think you might get more of them ordered.

I will do auto proofing for my art stuff, though.

Andy wrote:
    Hi, here's the way to handle it now:

Set your galleries for Proof Delay - then you see each order before it goes to the lab, and you can make any necessary changes.....

We very highly recommend our Pros make use of our Proof Delay feature.
    Proof Delay allows you to review the order before it's sent to print,
    make corrections and changes to the cropping as well as auto versus true
    color. Best of all, you have the opportunity to totally replace any
    image that is ordered, with your choice of a replacement, still allowing
    you to adjust the crop and color setting after replacing it. For more
    info on this, please see the links below which would eliminate any
    problems in the future:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelayForHappyCustomers
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelaySolveCroppingWoes

Please let us know if you have any questions on this, okay?
    Brandon Smith
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2007
    jbr13 wrote:
    Quite a few make folders for seperate events or shots, would it be possible to edit the geography for an entire folder. Thanks

Jason
    Try the new Picasa Uploader, it's super easy to geotag your photos, one or a thousand, via Picasa/Google Earth. Couldn't be easier, in fact (and free!).

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71187&highlight=picasa+uploader

clap.gif
This discussion has been closed.