SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    dwterry wrote:

This desperately needs to be fixed. Photographer-placed orders should ship immediately. No proofing necessary.
    Done!
    edited July 13, 2007
    sprynmr wrote:
    I would like to request some movement on the idea of using webDav for photo management.

Google is working towards this type of thing using Fuse (apparently a super easy way of writing a plugin for any filesystem).

They don't have it publicly available yet but in this video you can see them demo just throwing a folder up there, and having this create galleries.

This would make things insanely easier to manage. Especially since its a year later and I'm still trying to move my full gallery up to the site. The current mac uploader is just weak in the bulk feature area.

Even support in the mac uploader for selecting a folder (that contains subfolders with pictures) which would in turn create galleries out of all the subfolders would be a step in the right direction. Or being able to add a bunch of different folders and then click upload and they create new albums named appropriately.

But investigate fuse! Google is going to be breathing down everyone's necks with Picasa web. Currently it has like 0 features, but if they approach this product the same way they approach the others, I could see people switching in a years time.

So basically my feature request is some way of bulk uploading galleries that doesn't include having to create each gallery first and link it to an iphoto album.... which is currently the only method I know of.

BTW in the video just watch the intro, then jump to 8:45'ish. Or watch the whole thing, because the rest is dang interesting.

Best,
    Robert
    SmugDav recently got a huge facelift :D
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64537&highlight=SmugDav
    edited July 13, 2007
    jcloudm wrote:
    I know this isn't a traditional smugmug thing, but I would like to see a smugmug widget developed for the Facebook API. This could help people who look at my facebook profile to see my pictures without having to upload them to the facebook photos app.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64374&highlight=facebook
    edited July 13, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    Hi, I'm wondering if there are any plans for email themes. I'd like to be able to choose a theme (or at least a color other than black) for my emails when I share photos. I find the black rather dark and uninviting. I would love to use something like the Fresh Air theme or at least a brighter color for the email's background.

Thanks!
    I love this idea and hope we can do it thumb.gif
    edited July 13, 2007
    GKP wrote:
    I would like to see a small change to the sales report. Currently you show a running total. I would like to see a grand total + an unpaid total.

-Greg
    Done!
    edited July 13, 2007
    psr wrote:
    I'd not only like to see this, I'd like to see the amount of shipping that the customer paid - with the amount in the emailed sales order and in the online report. Per the State of Texas, I'm supposed to collect sales tax on that amount. I can obtain that amount using the emailed order information, but I have to re-create the customer's order to do so.

Thanks,

Paul
    Done!
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Any thought on the other two points? The trail is below....
    Done!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Multiple photos in one email?
    Hi,
    Did a search and couldn't find this posted previously.
    Was wondering if it would be possible to put multiple images in an email (from the 'share photo' option). This would either be from the same folder or, better yet, be able to accomodate photos from different folders. I just sent mass emails to update family and friends of my son's photos but also wanted to include a recent shot of DC from another folder. Ended up sending two emails and would love to be able to just do the one.
    Thanks,
    E
  • DJKennedyDJKennedy Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hi,
    Did a search and couldn't find this posted previously.
    Was wondering if it would be possible to put multiple images in an email (from the 'share photo' option). This would either be from the same folder or, better yet, be able to accomodate photos from different folders. I just sent mass emails to update family and friends of my son's photos but also wanted to include a recent shot of DC from another folder. Ended up sending two emails and would love to be able to just do the one.
    Thanks,
    E

Seems simple to me. Maybe a 'Share photos from this page' button where you can check off radio buttons (I guess the square ones to allow multiple choices) so you can send 1 to whatever amount of photos on that particular page.
    http://www.djkennedy.com

What did Cinderella say when she left the photo shop? "One day my prints will come."

• GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2007
    Nope
    Andy wrote:
    Done!

Actually...not done. eek7.gif

1) There is still no reference to the actual status of the order in the order summary screen. The status field reflects Paid or UnPaid...

What I'm looking for is the status you see when you drill into an order...that is: Pending, Processed, Shipped. This, at a glance from the order summary screen is what was requested.

Perhaps it would be a different column...maybe 'order status' vs. 'payment status'.

2) I'll take your word the wording of the notification email changed to reflect what the customer sees...I'll let you know when I get my next order email.

3) The request to have Next / Previous orders from order detail screen (without having to go back to the order summary screen) is still not there.

- Gary.
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Actually...not done. eek7.gif

1) There is still no reference to the actual status of the order in the order summary screen. The status field reflects Paid or UnPaid...

What I'm looking for is the status you see when you drill into an order...that is: Pending, Processed, Shipped. This, at a glance from the order summary screen is what was requested.

Perhaps it would be a different column...maybe 'order status' vs. 'payment status'.

A proof-delay order, still in proof delay:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115131.jpg

An order that's processing and printing:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115554.jpg

An order that has shipped:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115424.jpg
    2) I'll take your word the wording of the notification email changed to reflect what the customer sees...I'll let you know when I get my next order email.
    You see the amount the customer paid for shipping in your orders page. It's not in the email, we're still seeing about doing that.
    3) The request to have Next / Previous orders from order detail screen (without having to go back to the order summary screen) is still not there.
    Correct, it's not. And I don't have any update on if/when on this, I'm very sorry.
    edited July 13, 2007
    EXACTLY!!!! It is THIS information (you circled) I'd like to see on the Prosales SUMMARY page (Prosales.mg) !!!! Without having to drill in to the page your are showing!

We just have a communication gap! A son-of-abyss!

Andy wrote:
    A proof-delay order, still in proof delay:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115131.jpg

An order that's processing and printing:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115554.jpg

An order that has shipped:
    the_ultimate_in_photo_sharing._online_photo_albums__photo_sharing__photo_hosting_and_photo_storage._-_powered_by_smugmug-20070713-115424.jpg

You see the amount the customer paid for shipping in your orders page. It's not in the email, we're still seeing about doing that.

Correct, it's not. And I don't have any update on if/when on this, I'm very sorry.
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    We just have a communication gap! A son-of-abyss!
    Ouch, I'm very sorry you are unhappy with the changes we made. The info relates to an individual order, so it's on that order's page. I wish I had a better, different answer for you, right now, but I don't.
    edited July 13, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Ouch, I'm very sorry you are unhappy with the changes we made. The info relates to an individual order, so it's on that order's page. I wish I had a better, different answer for you, right now, but I don't.

I like the changes you made!!! All I want, is to feel my request is understood and exists somewhere in the hopper. Now I think the request is understood: I'd like to be able to look at prosales.mg and see the order status (not the payment status). This would let me (at a glance) see which orders are in proof delay without having to drill in.

The field value would first be: "Proof Delay" (better would be the processing date - but I'd be willing to settle), "Processing", then "Shipped".

Can I consider this request somewhere in the hopper? If so...I'm a grinning grinner!
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Can I consider this request somewhere in the hopper? If so...I'm a grinning grinner!

All requests are in the hopper. I don't have a promise on this one though - but it's hopping!
    edited July 13, 2007
    I'm feeling lucky... :)
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GJMPhoto
    Any chance you will offer note cards or thank you photo cards?

Had my third customer ask for this (graduation thank yous)...ended up sending them to Shutterfly after giving them the jpg - easier than going through the hassle of doing it myself headscratch.gif :pissed

Since we seem to be connecting today!!!

Is this a request you guys would consider??? Is THIS one hopping too???

- Gary.
    edited July 13, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    Since we seem to be connecting today!!!

Is this a request you guys would consider??? Is THIS one hopping too???

- Gary.
    Yup. But we need to re-engineer a lot of cart stuff first. But we'll get 'em at some point!
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Uploader request
    I have a request about the uploader...
    After a while, we have so many albums, that the album list view in all the uploaders (except for the Java applet) becomes impossible to use. For example, using the Uploader for Mac, I get to choose which Album to upload to. But the list is SO long it is impossible to find the particular album from the list. It will be great if some sort of hireachy/structure can be implemented so we can first select the Cat, SubCat, then Album.

cheers, ws
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 15, 2007
    wslam wrote:
    I have a request about the uploader...
    After a while, we have so many albums, that the album list view in all the uploaders (except for the Java applet) becomes impossible to use. For example, using the Uploader for Mac, I get to choose which Album to upload to. But the list is SO long it is impossible to find the particular album from the list. It will be great if some sort of hireachy/structure can be implemented so we can first select the Cat, SubCat, then Album.

cheers, ws

you mean like this ?? mwink.gif

173080428-M.jpg

I am currently working on a rewrite of the MacUploader, hopefully it will be available in the not too distant future. thumb.gif

Note: they aren't currently sorting 100% correctly.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    YES YES! Thanks! Look forward to the update!
    devbobo wrote:
    you mean like this ?? mwink.gif

173080428-M.jpg

I am currently working on a rewrite of the MacUploader, hopefully it will be available in the not too distant future. thumb.gif

Note: they aren't currently sorting 100% correctly.

Cheers,

David
  • jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Any chance of adding some of the bulk options under "photo tools" to the "gallery tools" menu? Specifically something like editing captions and keywords. I continually search for that option on the gallery page but then I remember I have to click a photo first in order to update captions on ALL photos. It seems like it should be more of gallery option, no? ne_nau.gif
    40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC
  • tipk99tipk99 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    collaborator account
    Any way to have a collaborator account? So, for instance if I invite someone to cover an event with me, is there a way to have that person upload their photos to my site, but when someone buys their photo, they get paid... and when someone buys my photo I get paid?

Thanks

Tom
  • jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    Any chance of adding some of the bulk options under "photo tools" to the "gallery tools" menu? Specifically something like editing captions and keywords. I continually search for that option on the gallery page but then I remember I have to click a photo first in order to update captions on ALL photos. It seems like it should be more of gallery option, no? ne_nau.gif

PLEASE push this up the priority list! It has been asked for repeatedly and is a problem with the basic functionality of the service.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    jenna16 wrote:
    PLEASE push this up the priority list! It has been asked for repeatedly and is a problem with the basic functionality of the service.
    What style are you viewing the gallery with? In Smugmug stlye it's in the tools dropdown.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jenniferjennifer Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    What style are you viewing the gallery with? In Smugmug stlye it's in the tools dropdown.

Critique view also has the gallery tools and photo tools menus together. But it seems like the photo tools option shouldn't be restricted to what style one chooses for their gallery. It'd be nice if it were available on all gallery styles.
    40D, 10-22, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 75-300 IS, 1.4x TC
  • aerphotographyaerphotography Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2007
    Proof books
    I doubt I'm the first person to request this, but wanted to add my vote in favor. Spiral-bound proof books like Printroom offers would be a great addition. WAY better than coffee mugs or mouse pads.
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    Sorry I haven't had time to read the whole thread, but i have had requests for the ability to order my prints in the form of a "Christmas Card". You know the type. . .the long card with pic, message on one end. You don't have to sign or anything, just put it in the included envelope. Walmart, Sam's, Snapfish all do it, why not smugmug?
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
  • willaibachwillaibach Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2007
    BeltzClan wrote:
    I would like metallic paper as a print option.

Gift cards. I know you have heard that a bunch. But something that works via a "code" at check out would be great. You could even make so that they could only use it once and anything left over is gone. (A competitor does this but I aint name dropping.)

A gallery CD option would be cool too. So customer could purchase a CD of everything in that Gallery for one price.

Just wanted to add my vote for both of these suggestions as well!clap.gif
    But He says to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. -2 Cor 12:9

www.steveandwilla.com
  • deblooisdebloois Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    higher maximum filesize
    Hi,

I absolutely love smugmug, and at the moment there's really only one thing that's inconvenient for me: the maximum filesize of 8MB.

I shoot in RAW (Canon 30D, 8mp sensor) and after converting to JPG's and performing an UnsharpMask action in Photoshop, often my files end up just a bit bigger than 8MB (9-10MB).

In order to be able to upload them to my Smugmug site, I then have to open them again in Photoshop and save with lower quality, something I don't really like (apart from the extra work). It also sort of defeats the 'extra backup' idea that's one of those good Smugmug features.

With the current sensor sizes of 8-10 Mp in most current camera's, the 8MB limit seems a bit small...
    Wouldn't it be nice to increase this to (at least) 10MB?

Greetings,
    Karen
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    debloois wrote:
    Hi,

I absolutely love smugmug, and at the moment there's really only one thing that's inconvenient for me: the maximum filesize of 8MB.

I shoot in RAW (Canon 30D, 8mp sensor) and after converting to JPG's and performing an UnsharpMask action in Photoshop, often my files end up just a bit bigger than 8MB (9-10MB).

In order to be able to upload them to my Smugmug site, I then have to open them again in Photoshop and save with lower quality, something I don't really like (apart from the extra work). It also sort of defeats the 'extra backup' idea that's one of those good Smugmug features.

With the current sensor sizes of 8-10 Mp in most current camera's, the 8MB limit seems a bit small...
    Wouldn't it be nice to increase this to (at least) 10MB?

Greetings,
    Karen

What JPEG quality are you using?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
This discussion has been closed.