If you are a Power User, then you can hack this via javascript:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57994
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    If you are a Power User, then you can hack this via javascript:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57994
    I am a standard user... So no such luck for me!
    If one more depth was added to breadcrumb it would really help functionality.
  • Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Feature Galleries
    Here is a request that would sure be nice. I normally keep 4 galleries as featured galleries and those are normally my most recent. It becomes a pain to update those galleries as featured because if I take my most recent gallery and make it position #1, the old #1 disappears and now the gallery in #2 is actually my 3rd oldest...and so on.

What I do is move #3 to #4, #2 to #3, #1 to #2 and the new gallery gets assigned to #1. I have to go to each gallery to do this. I hope you are following. Wouldn't it be great if I could group assign which gallery I want to go where? One page would allow me to put any gallery in any spot. I usually update a gallery every other day or so, making it easy to feature saves some time. Its a pain having to actually go into each gallery to make changes.

Unless all this time I have been missing an easier way to do this? Thanks.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Dbl wrote:
    Here is a request that would sure be nice. I normally keep 4 galleries as featured galleries and those are normally my most recent. It becomes a pain to update those galleries as featured because if I take my most recent gallery and make it position #1, the old #1 disappears and now the gallery in #2 is actually my 3rd oldest...and so on.

What I do is move #3 to #4, #2 to #3, #1 to #2 and the new gallery gets assigned to #1. I have to go to each gallery to do this. I hope you are following. Wouldn't it be great if I could group assign which gallery I want to go where? One page would allow me to put any gallery in any spot. I usually update a gallery every other day or so, making it easy to feature saves some time. Its a pain having to actually go into each gallery to make changes.

Unless all this time I have been missing an easier way to do this? Thanks.
    Thanks for the feature request~!
  • Options
    mfhinesmfhines Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    I browsed around and could not find this question offered. Why is it that we cant use the money we've earned through referrals toward purchasing prints or the like?

Marshall
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2007
    mfhines wrote:
    I browsed around and could not find this question offered. Why is it that we cant use the money we've earned through referrals toward purchasing prints or the like?

Marshall
    The referral program was not designed for that, but it's a neat suggestion, thanks!
  • Options
    ProtographerProtographer Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    "Add a New Gallery" at page http://mysite.smugmug.com/
    I'm sitting here looking at http://mysite.smugmug.com/ and thinking about adding a new gallery. I'm afraid that I'm not yet thinking about adding photos. I'm just thinking about adding a new gallery. ne_nau.gif

Looking for Create | New Gallery under Add Photos just doesn't occur to me. In fact, I am thinking about galleries, not photos, so the Add Photos button doesn't even register. I keep looking for how I am supposed to add a gallery and I don't find anything. Of course, eventually I do find Create | New Gallery under Add Photos and, eventually, I actually do remember that it is there but it just isn't intuitive, at least not to me.

What does seem intuitve to me is that where I see a listing of my galleries, namely http://mysite.smugmug.com/ is where I'd expect to see a button for gallery maintenance, with provision, at least, for gallery creation and, more than likely, gallery deletion. Gallery customization, which does already appear here, is also a natural. Now, I can see making it a little more difficult to delete a gallery than to create or customize one. I definitely find that useful. mwink.gif

Adding photos, on the other hand, is something done within galleries and not to galleries and so belongs, imho, within a gallery and not on http://mysite.smugmug.com/.

I would however like to see all gallery maintenance funcrtions, create a gallery, delete a gallery and customize a gallery more obviously available at http://mysite.smugmug.com/.

I find that grouping related functions together at a logical place in a hierarchy of functions makes it much easier for users to find what they need.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    I'm sitting here looking at http://mysite.smugmug.com/ and thinking about adding a new gallery. I'm afraid that I'm not yet thinking about adding photos. I'm just thinking about adding a new gallery.

Looking for Create | New Gallery under Add Photos just doesn't occur to me. In fact, I am thinking about galleries, not photos, so the add photos button doesn't even register. I keep looking for how I am supposed to add a gallery and I don't find anything. Of course, eventually I do find Create | New Gallery under Add Photos and, eventually, I actually do remember that it is there but it just isn't intuitive, at least not to me.

What does seem intuitve to me is that where I see a listing of my galleries, namely http://mysite.smugmug.com/ is where I'd expect to see a button for gallery maintenance, with provision, at least, for gallery creation and, more than likely, gallery deletion. Gallery customization, which does already appear here, is also a natural. Now, I can see making it a little more difficult to delete a gallery than to create or customize one. I definitely find that useful.

Adding photos, on the other hand, is something done within galleries and not to galleries and so belongs, imho, within a gallery and not on http://mysite.smugmug.com/.

I would however like to see all gallery maintenance funcrtions, create a gallery, delete a gallery and customize a gallery more obviously available at http://mysite.smugmug.com/.

I find that grouping related functions together at a logical place in a hierarchy of functions makes it much easier for users to find what they need.
    Thanks for telling us how you feel about this! We really appreciate it :D
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    I'm sitting here looking at http://mysite.smugmug.com/ and thinking about adding a new gallery. I'm afraid that I'm not yet thinking about adding photos. I'm just thinking about adding a new gallery. ne_nau.gif

Looking for Create | New Gallery under Add Photos just doesn't occur to me.

PHEW _ Im glad IM not the only one!

I have been with SM over a year and I STILL can't get the hang of conrols navigation ( for a Mac friendly org. the navigation is very unMac like:cry )

I have just spent quite some time wandering through the controls wondering exactly that: - "where is the new gallery button?"headscratch.gif

I have decided to move some pics froma bloated family gallery to new ones with family sections in : it hasn't been easy - I gave up and I came here to posts a suggestion that it be made easier for old phogey Mac afficionadoes like me to navigate the controls before I wentoff to peruse that 'halp ' sections ( again!) when - viola! someone else has posted on the very question I was raising - hurrah!

So add me to the vote for easier gallery etc. controls navigationclap.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    PHEW _ Im glad IM not the only one!

I have been with SM over a year and I STILL can't get the hang of conrols navigation ( for a Mac friendly org. the navigation is very unMac like:cry )

I have just spent quite some time wandering through the controls wondering exactly that: - "where is the new gallery button?"headscratch.gif

I have decided to move some pics froma bloated family gallery to new ones with family sections in : it hasn't been easy - I gave up and I came here to posts a suggestion that it be made easier for old phogey Mac afficionadoes like me to navigate the controls before I wentoff to peruse that 'halp ' sections ( again!) when - viola! someone else has posted on the very question I was raising - hurrah!

So add me to the vote for easier gallery etc. controls navigationclap.gif
    Hello Simon - if you need any help with the Add Photos button, just holler to our Support Heroes and we'll get you sorted no problemo thumb.gif

Thanks for posting your suggestion, too.
  • Options
    storksbstorksb Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Alphabetical Sorting of Galleries in drop downs
    I upload all my images to a staging area gallery and then move them to the correct galleries as and when. But it is a real pain when moving images, to search through the what would appear to be a totally random order of galleries. Would it be possible to have galleries sorted alphabetically?

Thanks

Simon
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hello Simon - if you need any help with the Add Photos button, just holler to our Support Heroes and we'll get you sorted no problemo thumb.gif

Thanks for posting your suggestion, too.

Thanks Andy - now I know it's under that darn 'add photos' - I'm OK ( I thinkmwink.gif )

Whjat's needed is a chanmge from an 'Add photos' button ( with gallery options) to just an 'Add' button (with photo & gallery options)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2007
    storksb wrote:
    I upload all my images to a staging area gallery and then move them to the correct galleries as and when. But it is a real pain when moving images, to search through the what would appear to be a totally random order of galleries. Would it be possible to have galleries sorted alphabetically?

Thanks

Simon

RIGHT ON with that suggestion!thumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    GKPGKP Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    I would like to see a small change to the sales report. Currently you show a running total. I would like to see a grand total + an unpaid total.

-Greg
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Smugmug search is currently very simple.
    Is there any ways to search "exif".
    for example, I want to search for all the photos in my gallery which were taken with 50mm lens. Or all photos which were taken with a certain camera.
    Something like flickr camera finder, but much better. I.e. full exif search. For example I want to search all ISO 1600 shots taken by Rebel XTi and stuff like that.

I'd love this feature. As much as I didn't like PBase, being able to attach camera and lens info to each picture and then being able to search by it (although only globally and it is limited) is a nice feature.
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Coming late to this, but I have managed to work around this issue. If I need a high-res image from my gallery, but do not want to briefly turn on the originals, I just click on the photo, make second copy, then move it into a private gallery that I have set up for this purpose. It's a few extra steps but at least I don't have to worry about being unprotected for that small window of time.

I would like to be able to access and download my original images when logged in to smugmug. This could be a global preference for each site, like:

Access original Images when logged in? yes or no

This would not effect the gallery settings for all other users. Gallery settings for original images would always remain in effect for all normal (non logged-in) users. The logged-in owner of the images would be able to access his original files at his leisure.
    The reason I ask is this:

Say I am at work and I want to access one of my high-res (original) images. All of my galleries are set to NOT allow access to original images (because I don't want folks downloading my high-res images!)
    Currently, the only way to do this is to log-in, change the gallery setting to "allow original", download the original file, then change my gallery back to "do not allow original." Not only does this involve extra steps, but during the brief window where I am accessing the hi-res image, any random user could access my gallery and download my original images.

It makes much more sense to have an option for the "owner" of the site to always have access to the originals when logged in, regardless of the gallery settings. Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Since I'm here :) I thought I would mention that the iPhoto uploader seems to have bugs. I often have several hundred photos to upload at once and with the iPhoto uploader, it's a rather painful process, as it seems to poop out after about 200 photos. Then I have to check to see which ones uploaded, and delete them from the iPhoto folder I have them in, then quit the uploader. Open it again and start the upload again. While I could just set it to upload under 200 at a time, I often like to upload these massive quantities overnight.

It's the *only* thing I like better about Shutterfly Pro over Smugmug - their uploader from Mac to Shutterfly could handle at least 700 photos at a time (that's the most I ever tried). I would just start the upload process when I went to bed and when I got up on the morning all 700 were uploaded.

Maybe someone is already working on the bugs, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the feature request~!
    I'm trying to respond to post #186, but it's all the way down here....Andy, that is really a surprising response to such an obvious problem (moving around featured galleries). Give the person a bit of credit, like, "I know this is a problem and we're working on it." I really hope that's a true statement. It's very annoying that you can't do it this way, and frankly, this is the kind of basic home page out lack of sophistication that I have posted about repeatedly, for several months, only to get the response, "we're working on it". It's been 6 months since a release of any import, and I think that's a long time. I would add also, that you should be able to pick 2,3 or 4 "featured galleries" and they should resize accordingly to fit the width of the screen. The "featured gallery lameness and also the often complained about lack of a single place for updating galleries (the distinction between "gallery options" and "photo options" is non-sensical at best, and was very expertly critiqued earlier in this thread.) It seems smugmug focuses on pro requests, without fixing these fundamental usability issues. That's how it feels to us non-customizing folks at least. The response is often "contact help", which I have done, and they are great, but more should be intuitive, and more should be changable on the home page without real html customizing. Someone once suggested you add an IA person to your team...I think you should at least have one on hand as a consultant.
  • Options
    psrpsr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Additional Sales Report Change
    GKP wrote:
    I would like to see a small change to the sales report. Currently you show a running total. I would like to see a grand total + an unpaid total.

-Greg

I'd not only like to see this, I'd like to see the amount of shipping that the customer paid - with the amount in the emailed sales order and in the online report. Per the State of Texas, I'm supposed to collect sales tax on that amount. I can obtain that amount using the emailed order information, but I have to re-create the customer's order to do so.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    I'll 3rd that! - 3 Pro Order Requests
    Let me chime in here too. I've just begun selling using Smugmug and I have similar thoughts and maybe a couple of more. I've been in software for a while in my other life and it's a fairly consistent practice to give the company a view of exactly what the customer is seeing.

Request:
    It would be helpful to have access to copies of the actual emails Smugmug is sending the customer.
    Rationale:
    This would give us all the info the previous posters are looking for and also give us a better shot at sounding intelligent when talking directly to our customers (ummm...I didn't send that to you, I use a company to do my ordering...etc.).

Another request:
    Please put an indication on the pro orders summary screen of the status of the orders (i.e., waiting for retouch, order, shipped, etc.)
    Rationale:
    I've noticed that the email notifications for orders lags the orders screen (as I'd expect, actually), however, I've had two instances in two days of not receiving emails for orders placed. Had I not happened to open an order from the pro order screen, I wouldn't have noticied that it was still in my 4 day retouch-wait state. Having only accessed the panel from the emails, I didn't actually work on and release the item.

Yet Another Request:
    Please put a "Next" / "Previous" link in the order detail screen (off the pro order summary screen)
    Rationale:
    From the Pro Order screen, you go in to work on an order (usually one that's held pending retouch verification). At the end of the work, you have to go back to the order summary, find the order you were working on, and then select the next one. It creates a strong possibility of missing one (especially since you can't see the status of the orders - as per my previous request).

- Gary.
    psr wrote:
    I'd not only like to see this, I'd like to see the amount of shipping that the customer paid - with the amount in the emailed sales order and in the online report. Per the State of Texas, I'm supposed to collect sales tax on that amount. I can obtain that amount using the emailed order information, but I have to re-create the customer's order to do so.

Thanks,

Paul
  • Options
    energykickenergykick Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Timeline / Recent Display order
    I am feeling like a broken record but would like some kind of final answer on this. When using the Timeline option the photos should be displayed last first, is makes the most sense, most recent first. If this was an option then I am sure the javascript showRecent could do the same thing.

I see this has been an ongoing request/issue/bugaboo and would like someone to at least respond with a yes/no or maybe .... ne_nau.gif

http://shinynewday.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bon9bon9 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Deleting invitations
    Someone may have already mentioned it, but I would like to be able to delete invitations that I sent instead of having a huge list that keeps getting bigger.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Package pricing 'hook'
    I had mentioned this in another location in the forum...wanted to 'formally' log it here, so it's all in one place:

Rather than you having to try to implement all the pricing schemes that match those already in use by your customers, perhaps you could provide a programming hook to the shopping cart whereby we could implement alternate pricing schemes? The method we write would have to display an alternate smugger-developed screen for initial selection of the images, then return to you:
    The description of the package (for the invoice)
    The quantity, size, and image id of each selected image
    The overall (overridden) price.

You would need to put the package description and price onto the customer's invoice and maintain the photo quantity for the lab.

Since profit is calculated by price-cost * .85, you really wouldn't need client-level individual print prices. You would just take the overridden package price, subtract the total cost of all negs to be printed, then take 15% of the remaining price for smugmug and give the 85% back to us as profit. Your only requirement would be that the package price cover the cost of the included pictures (since we're in business for a reason, I'd guess that's not usually a problem!).

I'm not sure how you're structured in your code internally, but I'd bet the package object could be derived from a gallery object, in that it would be a container for a collection of pictures, have a single picture from within which could represent the package visually (even support a featured package photo!), and have a name (title). You would need to extend it to contain photo sizes and an overall price.

When the package is represented in screens like the pro photo order detail, it would show its featured photo with the description as the caption

- Gary.
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Several password per gallery
    Seconding this request ... Same use case on my end. The whole site has a global password, but giving access to a certain galleries with a different password (in addition to the main global password) would be great !!!

Thank you for your consideration,

McGil
    emilyza wrote:
    I've posted about this a while back, and I apologize if it's already been addressed, but it is something I would really love to have.

My whole site is password protected with one password. My friends and family have this password and can access all my albums. I do, however, from time to time, have pictures that I want to send to additional people that I necessarily don't want to access my entire site. I would also want friends/family to see these pics. I would love there to be a way to have two passwords... that way, the friends/family could see it using the same password, but others could view it with a different password and therefore not have access to the other albums. Does that make sense?

Right now I'm creating two albums, one with the general password and one with a different one. I've also been uploading the pictures to a free site like Kodak Gallery or Shutterfly and send that album to the people I don't want to have access to the entire site. It is a PITA though.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    So I found something tonight, I'm sure others have found it before, and it's more of a product request than feature request but.....

Laptop skins (they do them for cell phones, pda's, etc as well). That way our clients could choose the photo they want, choose the size of their laptop, and they would get the photo printed on vinyl that is sized for the top of their laptop computer. They would apply it, and now their laptop would be customized with the photo of their choosing.

I ordered one for the laptop I bought today and am getting the equipment at work (soon hopefully) to be able to do this myself as well. I can see it being one of those gift items that sells.

:cough: photo packages:cough:
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Thank you cards?
    Any chance you will offer note cards or thank you photo cards?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Flash?
    Did I mention tis already - probably my grey cell have got greyer of late!

Whenever I find myself mulling over my SM site the one thing I find myself wishing for over and over is for the ability to choose a style that presents in FLASH:

- I particularily like the style of the Flash portfolios (e'g' at Photoworkshop.com), they are CLEAN and EASY to navigate - it just really looks like a professional portfolio

- People cannot AFAIK download flash presented images, (in fact they are probably even harder to screenshoot)

- the controls are so much better looking and easier to navigate than 'slideshow' controls
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    - People cannot AFAIK download flash presented images, (in fact they are probably even harder to screenshoot)

Hi Simon,

Just fyi, this is wholely not true. It is not that difficult to get images out of a flash file. Again, they have to display on the screen some how so a screenshot (which is not a function of the browser or flash application) is also still possible. The bottom line is (at least for now), if your customers can view your photos on your computer, they can steal them.

-Russ
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    renstar wrote:
    Hi Simon,

Just fyi, this is wholely not true. It is not that difficult to get images out of a flash file. Again, they have to display on the screen some how so a screenshot (which is not a function of the browser or flash application) is also still possible. The bottom line is (at least for now), if your customers can view your photos on your computer, they can steal them.

-Russ

Hi Russ - you;re right of course _ I had meant to delete the bit I wrote about screenshots _ but forgot!11doh.gif

All the same flash does look coolermwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    photog01photog01 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 28, 2007
    Inexpensive posters.
    I'm currently about to launch a website to sell posters of my images, and smugmug is perfect for what I need (print on demand, galleries, handles shipping, etc), except for the poster product itself. I see I can order 16x24 and 24x36 prints, but it'd be nice if I could offer images printed as plain lightweight stock posters, not as luster/matte prints. I don't see a poster option in the product catalog anywhere. If I'm missing something, let me know via PM.
    Unfortunately it looks like I may have to print with CafePress (yuck) since they offer various sized posters.
    Just a thought, keep me updated if this might be an option soon,
    Ryan in Las Vegas
This discussion has been closed.