Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I like it better. You?

There seems to be some banding in it, though. Not sure if it's just the web messing it up, or not.

Yeah I see the difference now. It was where I was starting the grad, I think the banding is on the web. I will print it to test and get a proof from the printer to make sure.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    largelylivinlargelylivin Registered Users Posts: 561 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I know this is a mistake.....
    This is risky. My card does not have the class that all of yours do....but then, I am not a wedding photographer or artist.

THe card that I just finished designing but have not yet printed is this. Its for "event" type shooting. About the colors, I am shooting from a boat and my graphics must really stand-out so that anyone that sees me taking a pic can figure out that they can buy it on the web site. So very bright hot colors.

Go ahead. Hammer away.

I'd show you my brochure, but no one would be able to read the small type within the upload size limit.
    Brad Newby

http://blue-dog.smugmug.com
    http://smile-123.smugmug.com
    http://vintage-photos.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, 100-400L, Mongoose 3.5, hoping for a 500L real soon.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I'd show you my brochure, but no one would be able to read the small type within the upload size limit.

You need to learn how to embed images from your smugmug account. See the link in my signature.

Your card is cute. Yeah, it's a different design direction, but I like it.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    My first attempt
    How's this? Primarily to be used if I end up with a showing in June in Jamaica Plain, MA - a suburb/community of Boston.

152154763-L.jpg

Thanks,
    E
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    How's this? Primarily to be used if I end up with a showing in June in Jamaica Plain, MA - a suburb/community of Boston.

152154763-S.jpg

Thanks,
    E

It's nice. I think that the borders should be more uniform around the images. For instance, the black on the left should be the same as on the right, and the bottom should match, as well, most likely. The black between the images could be different than the rest, but maybe it should be the same, too.

The font is a little boring, but it's fine. I would work on the kerning, and maybe disort photography so that it looks a little different than your name.

My big question is this: why eoren1.smugmug.com? Why not just eoren.smugmug.com? How many eorens are there? :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It's nice. I think that the borders should be more uniform around the images. For instance, the black on the left should be the same as on the right, and the bottom should match, as well, most likely. The black between the images could be different than the rest, but maybe it should be the same, too.

The font is a little boring, but it's fine. I would work on the kerning, and maybe disort photography so that it looks a little different than your name.

My big question is this: why eoren1.smugmug.com? Why not just eoren.smugmug.com? How many eorens are there? :D

Hey DavidTO,
    I thought the same thing about the blacks after posting (I'm post-call and on 2 hours of sleep but wanted to do this after spending my down-time yesterday reading this thread).
    I tried to find that font that looks like typewriter with an old thread - know what I mean? Not solid on entirety of letter but with little slivers hear and there.
    As far as eoren1, that was my hotmail then yahoo then every other login name. If I go 'pro', I'll get another site to link to this one but for now, everyone knows this one.
    E
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Hey all...

So I'm in the process of re-branding myself. This is going to include business cards, but I just wanted some input from those folks who are smart on printing. Check out http://mikelanestudios.com/. My intention is to put the big glassy logo and associated title (minus the blurred reflection and reflective "floor" and background) on a black glossy biz card. The other side will be customized specifically for photography and maybe I'll do a web design one some time later in life.

My question is, will this print out okay on a solid black background of a biz card?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Updated version
    After a well-deserved nap, I played around using the grid as a guide and ended up with this for the front:
    152356201-L.jpg

And now for the back. Please keep in mind that this will be solely for handing out at a local showing. Last time I had printed prices on nice paper stock and handed that out. Figured this would be much easier and maybe work a bit better. I cloned out the actual prices as I didn't want a discussion on that to ensue.
    152356583-L.jpg

What do you think? Any reason to not have the back look like this? Again, this card isn't meant to draw people to hire me but is simply to serve as a reminder of two of the photos they saw displayed and provide contact info and a reminder of the prices/size availability if they want to purchase a piece.
    Thanks a lot.
    E
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hey all...

So I'm in the process of re-branding myself. This is going to include business cards, but I just wanted some input from those folks who are smart on printing. Check out http://mikelanestudios.com/. My intention is to put the big glassy logo and associated title (minus the blurred reflection and reflective "floor" and background) on a black glossy biz card. The other side will be customized specifically for photography and maybe I'll do a web design one some time later in life.

My question is, will this print out okay on a solid black background of a biz card?

Should be fine Mike. Remember you're printing black ink in various screens on white. The quality of your screen matrix is what will guarantee the look you want.
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    So I've never done this before, and what I think looks OK doesn't always look OK to others. So please give me honest feedback on this card. Thanks. :):

Front:
    152398463-M.jpg

Back:
    152398468-M.jpg
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    So I've never done this before, and what I think looks OK doesn't always look OK to others. So please give me honest feedback on this card. Thanks. :):

Jen, you done good!

Here's my thoughts:

Your font is associated very closely with The New Yorker magazine. Nothing wrong with that, just think about that association. :D

Also, watch your alignments. Everything should align with something, at the very least your text should have a common alignment. You can inset "By Jennifer Wolcott" or not. Use the guides in Photoshop to help.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, David. :): I'll align my name. Also along with that, I'm thinking it might look better if I moved the "by ..." to the bottom of the card. What do you think?

Fixed the alignment:
    152398463-M-1.jpg

And here with my name on the bottom for comparison:
    152407108-M.jpg
    Jen

• Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    Should be fine Mike. Remember you're printing black ink in various screens on white. The quality of your screen matrix is what will guarantee the look you want.
    Meaning I need to select a good printer? Or is there something I need to do to process this type of image for print?

• Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Meaning I need to select a good printer? Or is there something I need to do to process this type of image for print?

It'll be in the original file. If you're happy with the output on your desktop printer, in all likelihood you'll be happy with anything printed offset. The printing house will advise what they prefer in line count and resolution.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    It'll be in the original file. If you're happy with the output on your desktop printer, in all likelihood you'll be happy with anything printed offset. The printing house will advise what they prefer in line count and resolution.
    I guess by printer I meant printing lab, but I think I get the gist of your answer. Thanks. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I guess by printer I meant printing lab, but I think I get the gist of your answer. Thanks. thumb.gif

lab? are you going to have these printed like photographs rather than offset?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    lab? are you going to have these printed like photographs rather than offset?
    um, well no. Probably some kind of online biz card printer which would be offset I assume. Would "lab" not be the right term? headscratch.gif

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    um, well no. Probably some kind of online biz card printer which would be offset I assume. Would "lab" not be the right term? headscratch.gif

Lab is generally used for photo lab. Business cards, etc, are typically done at a printer, or print shop, that does offset printing.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:

I was just checking. "Lab" usually refers to photo houses. Anyway, you should be fine.

It's a nice looking card / logo. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Lab is generally used for photo lab. Business cards, etc, are typically done at a printer, or print shop, that does offset printing.
    11doh.gif

I'm such the consummate professional. rolleyes1.gif

• Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    In light of some of the topics on this thread I feel I need to say - I am not a graphic designer, I am a photographer rolleyes1.gif

Ok, this is my first attempt at a business card and I really would like your honest feedback, I am here to learn and get a good card :D I am happy to change things on your recommendations.

so what do you think and what would you do different? I opted for the vertical card just for something different plus I wanted to use the image :D

front / back
    154360095-M.jpg154360085-M.jpg

Thanks and looking forward from some tips from either photoga or designers!!!

Cheers.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    W00DY wrote:
    In light of some of the topics on this thread I feel I need to say - I am not a graphic designer, I am a photographer rolleyes1.gif

Ok, this is my first attempt at a business card and I really would like your honest feedback, I am here to learn and get a good card :D I am happy to change things on your recommendations.

so what do you think and what would you do different? I opted for the vertical card just for something different plus I wanted to use the image :D

front / back

Thanks and looking forward from some tips from either photoga or designers!!!

Cheers.
    I think it's terrific. thumb.gif

• Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    Wow, very nice! I love that picture :D
    Jen

• Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    W00DY wrote:

It's FANTASTIC! Do not change a thing. Congratulations thumb.gif
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Thanks for the comments Mike, Jen & Angelo... I didn't expect such positive responses.

I am happy with the card, I think it looks good, but as a said I'm not a designer so I was not sure.

Appreciate your time to reply.

Cheers.
    Andrew

:D
  • Options
    Alex NailAlex Nail Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    Here is my first attempt. I am just starting out so my website is yet to get any real content and I am still learning CSS.
    card2.jpg

Any comments would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Alex
    It's not what you see, it's how you see it.
    http://www.alexnailphoto.com
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    Alex Nail wrote:
    Here is my first attempt. Any comments would be appreciated.
    [/B]

sexy.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2007
    Alex Nail wrote:
    Here is my first attempt. I am just starting out so my website is yet to get any real content and I am still learning CSS.
    card2.jpg

Thanks
    Alex

WOW!!!! really nice. suddenly the artist's bus has made a stop at this forum! thumb.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Alex Nail wrote:
    card2.jpg

Thanks
    Alex

love that card and the picture. I'm by NO means an expert on this, but just my own observation, the text on the top "alex nail PHOTOGRAPHY" grabs me. The text on the bottom doesn't. Wonder how it would look if you played with the darker gray text. Maybe draw my eye below the picture to see the website addy? headscratch.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Promo Card:
    Matched to my pages which are a hybrid of the Black Arts theme, here's my promo card:

156072951-M-1.jpg

156073015-M.jpg

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum