Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Alex NailAlex Nail Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    love that card and the picture. I'm by NO means an expert on this, but just my own observation, the text on the top "alex nail PHOTOGRAPHY" grabs me. The text on the bottom doesn't. Wonder how it would look if you played with the darker gray text. Maybe draw my eye below the picture to see the website addy? headscratch.gif

Thankyou, yes I can see what you mean. I have since unsquashed the below text a bit but I am happy that it is not contending for attention with the title. I think its inportant that "alex nail photography" is the first thing that is read. Thanks very much for your input.

Alex
    It's not what you see, it's how you see it.
    http://www.alexnailphoto.com
  • Options
    BelgBelg Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Front:

147922978-S.jpg

Back:

144851610-S.jpg

Photo's mine, Front's from a graphic designer buddy of mine :)
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Here is mine...it is simple but that is ok :D

159891703-L.jpg
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Here is mine...it is simple but that is ok :D

159891703-L.jpg
    The text on the bottom gets a bit lost in the bright area on the right. You could add a simple 1 pixel black outter stroke in photoshop to make it stand out a bit more. Other than that, I like it. thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    I didn't know how to do that ne_nau.gif But they just came in the mail today and the writing looks better on the actual card. I really need to learn to use photoshop..lol.
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2007
    Here's my first stab at it (note the black border is the trim edge)... lemme know what you think and please be honest, I can take it.

If I pick this one, I'll tweak my websit a bit to match...

Thanks,
    Scott

162436381-M.jpg
    162436375-M.jpg
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    scwalter wrote:
    Here's my first stab at it (note the black border is the trim edge)... lemme know what you think and please be honest, I can take it.

If I pick this one, I'll tweak my websit a bit to match...

Thanks,
    Scott

162436381-M.jpg
    162436375-M.jpg
    I just read the non-designer's design book by robin williams so I'm a veritable pro graphic designer now! lol3.gif

Okay, not so much, I know. But I can parrot a few things she talks about that I'm seeing on your card. Ready?

First off, I love the gray orange theme. I say go with it. Love it, love it, love it.

Second. There is a bit of a difference in the fonts on the text side. Your name is a wee smidge larger. But it's not large enough to create a contrast. Instead it's a conflict and it looks like you did it on accident. If you're going to try to have contrast, as Robin Williams - the designer not the comic - says: don't be a wimp! Consider making your name much larger, in a different (but complimentary) font - or a different form of the same font (italics perhaps?), and/or a different color. Remember, contrast is good and 14pt and 16pt fonts do not contrast, they conflict.

The same goes for the text at the bottom "portraits • events • weddings". It's the same size (or nearly the same size) as the rest of the fonts. So there isn't enough contrast with the font (despite the fact that it is sitting in an orange block). You changed the spacing, but again, it's still so similar that it comes off as a conflict and it looks more like a mistake.

Maybe consider changing the font of your name and the font of the portrait, events, weddings to be the same. That would then be repetition for your design. Nice!

See, I'm a veritable design pro now! deal.giflol3.gif

• Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    Holy smokes. It's like I'm seeing this thread with a new set of eyes. Everyone, if you're going to design your own biz card go buy The Non-Designer's Design book right now.

Go.

Seriously, go get it.

Seriously. deal.gif

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 13, 2007
    scwalter wrote:

162436381-M.jpg
    162436375-M.jpg

Scott: What are we looking at here? Does this represent a front and back of a card?

I like the color palette, a lot, but you have far too much text and you're repeating the URL unnecessarily and the words photo, photogrpaher, photography too much.

I dare you to use the beautiful image of the hands and the URL, period! stop! no more!

remember, you're an artist, not an insurance salesman. make your card support that notion.
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2007
    Yes, that's front and back. Thanks for the feedback everyone, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to comment. I'll work up another version and post it later on tonight.

I agree with Mike about the non-designers design book. It teaches you to name what you see, which is half the battle of understanding design. In the first chapter, the author talks about how she was looking at a book about trees and read about Joshua trees, thinking she had never seen one before. Upon going outside, she found that nearly everyone on her block had one in their front yard and she continued to spot them all over town. So being able to name something and apply a label to it is empowering and this book does that with design.

I actually found a copy of it, and a few others on design which are not nearly as good, on my bookshelf, apparently I bought it back in about 1995 or so when I was more into this stuff.

I recently purchased another book by the guy from "Before & After" called "Before & After: Page Design". In it, he says to signify your name, you can change size OR font OR boldness, but only one. That seems a bit contrary to the first book, but I maybe I didn't change it enough.

Anyway, thanks again and back at it...

Thanks,
    Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    F45F45 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2007
    Belg wrote:
    Front:

147922978-S.jpg

Hi Mark,

I couldn't help but notice you have "photograpy" on your card...
    you also have it spelt that way several times on your website (when showing the same logo), so I wondered if you were doing so on purpose and I was simply missing something?

Nice photos though nod.gif
    Cheers,

Chris Sedg. :cool
    www.christophersedgwick.com

• Options
    edited June 16, 2007
    Thanks again for the feeback. Here's another pass, I removed a lot of the details. I made the image the new front of the card and simply have my URL on the back.

I really like the simplicity of this design.

Note: The black border represents the trim edge and I just created a layer to show the actual trimmed image, before submitting to be printed, I will turn off this layer and have full bleed so you an ignore that for now.

And here's a gallery link with a few more ideas I was playing with... any thoughts on any of these?

http://scwalter.smugmug.com/gallery/2996466

Old back is now the front:

163494688-M.jpg

And the new back is just the URL.

163494647-M.jpg
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 16, 2007
  • Options
    Diane SDiane S Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    scwalter wrote:
    Thanks again for the feeback.

And here's a gallery link with a few more ideas I was playing with... any thoughts on any of these?

http://scwalter.smugmug.com/gallery/2996466

I like your clean sharp style.. makes me want to go and redo my cards with a cleaner graphic design. I looked at your gallery cards and for the back, I like the 3rd random style with the horizontal stripes, but instead put your url. in the middle of the stripes for the back, like u did above. Just my thoughts. Well done!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.dianeschafer.com

• Options
    RayManganRayMangan Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Need some critique on my business card...
    Well I'm re-doing my business card. Would love to have some input on layout and design of the whole thing. I like where I'm at but think it could use a bit of tweaking.

edit:don't know how "default" got into the thread title. I posted this on POTN and it must have copied weird?

172181452-L.jpg
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    Hey Ray no worries bout the title. I moved your post into our business card specific thread here so you could get better responses and be able to see other samples here. thumb.gif

Also is this the new version? Can you post a sample of the old version too?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2007
    another go at it...
    172233647-M.jpg172233652-M.jpg
    the card is 2-sided. front/back... i suppose it's all subjective.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    My first stab at a business card...
    Finally decided to start designing a business card for myself...

thoughts?

172726203-M.jpg
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    your tagline under "Shima's Shots" might be hard to read at actual print size; the combination of a curvy seriff typeface at a small size is sometimes tough to pull off.

Shima wrote:
    Finally decided to start designing a business card for myself...

thoughts?

172726203-M.jpg
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Scott and Daniel, looking great! Both make me want to visit your sites.
    Here's the 2nd gen of this card, just got the printed versions, this time the "photography" in the bottom right pops rather well.
    172745859-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Version 2.0
    Changed the sub line text and made things larger. How's this?

172881973-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    Changed the sub line text and made things larger. How's this?

172881973-M.jpg
    Hrm... I'm not a fan of your font choices, they are too much alike and therefore create a conflict. If you're going to choose a different font, choose a very different font. Even the main title font has too much in common with the hand-written style font below it. And the two hand-written style fonts are far too close to the same.

• Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hrm... I'm not a fan of your font choices, they are too much alike and therefore create a conflict. If you're going to choose a different font, choose a very different font. Even the main title font has too much in common with the hand-written style font below it. And the two hand-written style fonts are far too close to the same.

On the bottom the email address and the link *are* the same font, I did that on purpose... I'll try changing around the top fonts though so they're more different.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    BusinessCardII.jpg

This is my current card. I almost left the number off, but sometimes I just need to give out my number for other reasons besides photography so i put it on.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    On the bottom the email address and the link *are* the same font, I did that on purpose... I'll try changing around the top fonts though so they're more different.
    yabut, the email address & the link are a different, conflicting font than the "Photography by Catherine 'Cat' Hoffman" part.deal.gif

• Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    BusinessCardII.jpg

This is my current card. I almost left the number off, but sometimes I just need to give out my number for other reasons besides photography so i put it on.
    Your centering of the text over the thirds line is extremely distracting. The same for the letter spacing in your name.

Try lef or right alignment, going with the normal spacing, smallerize your web address for the contrast you're trying for, and maybe consider rethinking your placement of the parts of your card.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited July 16, 2007
    jonh68 wrote:
    BusinessCardII.jpg

Are you really set on using that particular background photograph? It's a beautiful shot, but I find that the streetlights draw my eyes away from the text. Seems like it distracts from the purpose of the card. (Of course, that's a very subjective comment, and I'm well aware that others may not have the same reaction.)

--- Denise
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    The card looks better actual size. I tried pretty much all the suggestions on trial print runs and the letters were underwhelmed.

In regards to the going over the thirds mark, I decided to fill in the sky to the right of the biggest pier light because there was a big void there.

The subject itself does not mean much to others, but around here, it does. It has been destroyed and rebuilt twice in about a 4 year span with hurricanes. It is one of the most romantic hotspots on the eastern shore and the background to countless family, prom, child pictures etc.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    yabut, the email address & the link are a different, conflicting font than the "Photography by Catherine 'Cat' Hoffman" part.deal.gif

Oh I thought you were saying that those two were a little different from each other, which confused me.

What about this one?

173620510-M-0.jpg
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    What about this one?

you're never going to please everyone, and everyone is always going to say something different. personally, i liked your first one the best. before you made ANY changes.

make a card that makes you happy. don't make one to try and make EVERYONE else happy, cause it just ain't gonna happen.

i made my card strictly for shock value. i don't care if people like it or not, but they always go "WHOA!" when the see the front of it. :)

this is the front of mine (cept it doesn't have the copyright on the bottom)
    151896510-L.jpg

and the back. like it or not, it's pretty damned functional. it's got everything i need it to have.
    151896075-L-1.jpg