Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    DirtRacinDirtRacin Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 20, 2007
    I made it to page 17, from what I have read the card needs to be clear and to the point, so from what I have read here is my card, I just made it tonight, any suggestions will be taken very seriously

Thanks

Rick

BTW this is my first post so go easy :D

dirtracinfront.jpg

dirtracinback1.jpg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2007
    DirtRacin wrote:
    I made it to page 17, from what I have read the card needs to be clear and to the point, so from what I have read here is my card, I just made it tonight, any suggestions will be taken very seriously

Thanks

Rick

BTW this is my first post so go easy :D

dirtracinfront.jpg

dirtracinback1.jpg
    Hi rick! wave.gif

Even at the big size on my screen the black text is difficult to read. It'll just get worse when it's printed. I'd take the bevel off of there and probably change the font.

Love the logo though!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DirtRacinDirtRacin Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2007
    Mike, thanks for your honest opinion, my first card had white fonts with a black stroke, but it is way to busy, too bad I can't find file on my computer, I deleted a bunch of stuff trying to make more room on it and I guess it didn't make it thru. I'll try and find a different font and post back.

Thanks

Rick
  • Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    here is my first try @ a business card please tell me what you think
    212342319-O.jpg
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    here is my first try @ a business card please tell me what you think
    212336057-O.jpg

Where to start. First a couple questions. Why did you choose yellow and is that purple? The colors clash to me. Secondly you have a lot of extra space and then small text. I am having a hard time reading it on the computer screen due to size and the font. If you looked thru this thread you will have noticed that most people recommend, simple, clean, cards. That in no way means ordinary or boring. Lastly 2 reflections on the name, too much. Also if it wasn't for you website address in your post I wouldn't have understood the .smugmug.com at the bottom all by itself. Also that is a long name, pretty much a sentence rather than a name. I might reconsider something shorter. Most printers will print 2 sides on the card. If they give you this option, consider doing something for the back. In short, start over. Sorry to come off harsh. You did keep the font consistent which is good, but it is a hard to read font. I for the life of me can't figure out what letters are after Iowa, an St maybe Sr.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    I agree with these comments:
    bham wrote:
    That in no way means ordinary or boring. Lastly 2 reflections on the name, too much. (ditch the one directly under the text keep the bigger one)Also if it wasn't for you website address in your post I wouldn't have understood the .smugmug.com at the bottom all by itself. Most printers will print 2 sides on the card. If they give you this option, consider doing something for the back. In short, start over. Sorry to come off harsh. You did keep the font consistent which is good, but it is a hard to read font. I for the life of me can't figure out what letters are after Iowa, an St maybe Sr.

and disagree with these:
    bham wrote:
    Also that is a long name, pretty much a sentence rather than a name. I might reconsider something shorter.. Why did you choose yellow and is that purple? The colors clash to me. Secondly you have a lot of extra space and then small text. I am having a hard time reading it on the computer screen due to size and the font. If you looked thru this thread you will have noticed that most people recommend, simple, clean, cards.

so yes - ditch the .smugmug.com on the front but put the FULL URL in one sentence on the back - along with all the text above it= i.e. move the text to the back, put the full URL beneath (or above it) - on the front have just the "Call Cary Brown @etc." and the "glory2jesus4photography" with one reflection. + make the text bigger

Keep the colours - they may be garish but no one will forget you! - most advertising is about getting rmeembered not about whether people like the advertmwink.gif

EDIT: it looks like youchanged the card while we were ansering - now the front is even MORE cluttered - it looks messy. - not good = try to make the front really simple and clean
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Here is my card... looking for comment, critque, and or suggestions.

Thanks, Winston

212432567-M.jpg
  • Options
    Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I agree with these comments:

and disagree with these:

so yes - ditch the .smugmug.com on the front but put the FULL URL in one sentence on the back - along with all the text above it= i.e. move the text to the back, put the full URL beneath (or above it) - on the front have just the "Call Cary Brown @etc." and the "glory2jesus4photography" with one reflection. + make the text bigger

Keep the colours - they may be garish but no one will forget you! - most advertising is about getting rmeembered not about whether people like the advertmwink.gif

EDIT: it looks like youchanged the card while we were ansering - now the front is even MORE cluttered - it looks messy. - not good = try to make the front really simple and clean
    Thanks for the help I will try to clean it up some and see what I get
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Thanks for the help I will try to clean it up some and see what I get
    Ok try #2
    front
    212452852-O.jpg
    back
    212458670-O.jpg
    is the back to cluttered
    My Web site:
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007

Thanks, Winston

212432567-M.jpg
    I really like it but I am no pro but it really catches me
    My Web site:
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    Ok try #2
    front

is the back to cluttered

- get rid of the dreadful texture!:D Use textured paper if you like but I really don't like that superimposed texture

FRONT:just have as you have put the 'logo' below plus your contact number. Don't change anything else i.. keep the reflection the same

BACK: WAY too cluttered. ONE 'logo' URL is enough but get rid of that horrible small reflection, if you want a reflection use the same as the front one

Keep it clean and simple like this belwo. I know I haven't got the right font etc but jjust to explain what I mean by keeping it unclutterd and simple

By all means use the reflection with the 'logo' name but use the nice big one not the small one it looks like an underline gone wrong
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    back
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007

Thanks, Winston

212432567-M.jpg

that works for memwink.gif:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    back

people like me, who as a child absolutely refused to learn to write in "cursive," have a hard time reading fonts like that. :D romance novel titles are the worst.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    people like me, who as a child absolutely refused to learn to write in "cursive," have a hard time reading fonts like that. :D romance novel titles are the worst.

I wasn't recommending that font at all - jst tring to emulate what the OP was usingne_nau.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 24, 2007

Thanks, Winston
    I like the card overall, but I would suggest adding your phone number and email address. I'm sure you are trying to drive people to your galleries, but if someone sees your card and wants to call...

I just wandered over to your smugmug site, and the only place I saw any way to contact you was in your guestbook. A prominent contact me link (leading to email) on your site would be a good thing too.

--- Denise
  • Options
    DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    TNicole wrote:
    I figured I would join the fray...this is what I am working on currently:

210403635-M-1.jpg

Any additional thoughts on this? I may give Vista Prints a try since it will be free + shipping
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    Mine
    Here is mine212637923-L.jpg
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    alixmiles wrote:
    Here is mine212637923-L.jpg

i like the concept. WAY too busy though.
    1) lawsonimages.com really only needs to appear once. the ones on the side are too small for print.
    2) barry mat___ photography is so dark it's barely legible
    3) combination texture + drop shadow make the phone number and email a difficult to look as well.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Here are mine. Very simple.

210488647-M.jpg

210488650-M.jpg

I like it simple, clean, neat. Maybe add Children, Infants, Families, Pets. From your site that is your focus. Also the way you have done it, if you choose a nongloss finish you could always write notes on one if needed for either a potential customer or yourself. That can come in handy.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    back
    Thanks for all the help I will give it another go and see what I get mwink.gif
    My Web site:
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:

Simon King I thing you are wrong in the regards to keeping the colours for the business card. This isn't an ad somewhere that someone sees and may make a call. A business card is usually something you hand to someone who is interested in contacting you for photography. An ad is put to get attention and get noticed, and that is a totally different thing. While some people may use the card for both it is really to small to be an effective ad.

So Glory2Jesus, I stand by in my assertion about the colors. And the purple you have chosen is so dark it almost looks black, but looks like a faded black, purple mixture.

One last thing Glory2Jesus, your bio picture on your website if really dark, you can't even make out your face.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007

Thanks, Winston

212432567-M.jpg

I would drop the "photographers" after your names, its redundant with Photography in the name. Also I think "A father & daughter creative endeavor" sounds better without all the sssss.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    binghott wrote:
    i know this thread seems kinda dead, but i finally have a business card design that is worth showing. please tell me what you think, good or bad!

192624547-M.jpg

I think all the text is a to large, reduce everything so it doesn't feel so crowded. Beware of the cut tollerances. They give you "x" distance on all sides of the card and tell you no to put anything important in it. You are to close to the sides.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:

One last thing Glory2Jesus, your bio picture on your website if really dark, you can't even make out your face.
    I know I have been meaning to get to that it was the only pic that I had at the time and I just have not taken the time sense to put up a better photo I really need to I will see what I can do by this week end.
    My Web site:
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Glory, these are just a few quick ideas I threw together. But they are much more legible with the text than your previous attempts. Use, don't use, etc. I kept the card yellow but changed the text to black it stands out better. I did a couple of different fonts, for ideas so something may give you a different idea. On the back I used a variety of things.

212719141-M.jpg

212719132-M.jpg

212719151-M.jpg

212719118-M.jpg

• Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    TNicole wrote:
    Any additional thoughts on this? I may give Vista Prints a try since it will be free + shipping

Nice, have you given thought to something for the back? Don't waste that space.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Hi rick! wave.gif

Even at the big size on my screen the black text is difficult to read. It'll just get worse when it's printed. I'd take the bevel off of there and probably change the font.

Love the logo though!

Or maybe use red text, is the font doesn't have the bevel. I think the logo in red jumps off the card on the front, so maybe some read text on the back would do the same.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    dangin wrote:
    i like the concept. WAY too busy though.
    1) lawsonimages.com really only needs to appear once. the ones on the side are too small for print.
    2) barry mat___ photography is so dark it's barely legible
    3) combination texture + drop shadow make the phone number and email a difficult to look as well.

Alixmiles,

I agree.

To simplify elimate all the vertical lawsonimages.com, eliminate the lines between weddings, seniors, etc.

On second thought you might want to move all the text except for on lawsonimages.com to the back and make the whole front an image with the film holes.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Simon King I thing you are wrong in the regards to keeping the colours for the business card. This isn't an ad somewhere that someone sees and may make a call. A business card is usually something you hand to someone who is interested in contacting you for photography. An ad is put to get attention and get noticed, and that is a totally different thing. While some people may use the card for both it is really to small to be an effective ad.

So Glory2Jesus, I stand by in my assertion about the colors. And the purple you have chosen is so dark it almost looks black, but looks like a faded black, purple mixture.

I understand what you're saying about the colours but I think she might just get away with it if , once the final design is finished, the colour is tweeked to it reads OK.
    One has o rmeember the semiotic value of colour and purple has lomg been associated with the church and yellow with divinity, so there is a message in the colours as well as the text. Clearly she is aiming for a specific market with her busuiness name sothose colour willbe appreciated by her target audience if not by us mwink.gif

However I disagree with you on the question of whether a bus card is an ad or not: sure there will be those who actively request your card but there will also be times when it is given out on spec or left somewhere to be picked up, so bright and bold can work. (not saying it will work , but can)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..