Show us your business Card!

Comments

• I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Glory, these are just a few quick ideas I threw together. But they are much more legible with the text than your previous attempts. Use, don't use, etc. I kept the card yellow but changed the text to black it stands out better. I did a couple of different fonts, for ideas so something may give you a different idea. On the back I used a variety of things.

212719118-M.jpg

to myeye these styles look more appropriate to a car dealer or scrap metal merchant than a photographer with a religiously minded market
    (and no need to repeat the email address)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    212719118-M.jpg

to myeye these styles look more appropriate to a car dealer or scrap metal merchant than a photographer with a religiously minded market

A car dealer, well that is good then. For them to be successful they have to reach a large target audience and have to get volume, thus they usually have a hired marketing firm.

I wasn't going for overly creative or styleistic, just few quick different examples (3 differnt ways on the back of the card) of something that can be easy legible and can stand out. I would probably choose one and make the side consistent.

Glory, if you want ideas look through this thread there are tons of cards that are awesome and stand out, find some that you consider good and great and use the ideas they have.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I understand what you're saying about the colours but I think she might just get away with it if , once the final design is finished, the colour is tweeked to it reads OK.
    One has o rmeember the semiotic value of colour and purple has lomg been associated with the church and yellow with divinity, so there is a message in the colours as well as the text. Clearly she is aiming for a specific market with her busuiness name sothose colour willbe appreciated by her target audience if not by us mwink.gif

However I disagree with you on the question of whether a bus card is an ad or not: sure there will be those who actively request your card but there will also be times when it is given out on spec or left somewhere to be picked up, so bright and bold can work. (not saying it will work , but can)

Didn't realize that about the colors. Its more the shades that just don't seem to work together, makes the card kinda drab.

I agree a card can be attention grabbing, but there are many great ways to do this besides just the background color. Just as you can be drawn to look at certain photographs over others.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Didn't realize that about the colors. Its more the shades that just don't seem to work together, makes the card kinda drab.

I agree a card can be attention grabbing, but there are many great ways to do this besides just the background color. Just as you can be drawn to look at certain photographs over others.

Sure but my thinking was to go with the OPs idea but to try and clean it up some

That really underlines precisely what this design needs.. cleaning up i.e. get away from repeated information, repeated motifs (e.g. two reflections), fussy backgrounds etc.

I still think the original concept could work if these issues are addressedmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    212719118-M.jpg

email address isn't repeated, are you saying leave it off, I agree as with a name that long its better to not put it on the card as long as it is easly accessable on the website.
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    email address isn't repeated, are you saying leave it off, I agree as with a name that long its better to not put it on the card as long as it is easly accessable on the website.

I would say for the sake of design to have either one or the other, so yes, if it were my card I'd not put such a long email on the same side as sucha long URL
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I would say for the sake of design to have either one or the other, so yes, if it were my card I'd not put such a long email on the same side as sucha long URL

or even have a long URL to begin with. anything more than a word or 2 is pushing it. expecting perfect strangers to remember such a thing is hard...

usually, some sorta mnemonic is best when relaying your name/biz name/any info you want people to remember. i.e., my name is joe....anytime i meet a new person, i introduce myself as "average joe." them: "what's your name?" me: "average joe." they giggle, and never forget. :)

make em associate a FEELING with whatever important info you deliver, and they're less likely to forget.
    edited October 25, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    or even have a long URL to begin with. anything more than a word or 2 is pushing it. expecting perfect strangers to remember such a thing is hard...

usually, some sorta mnemonic is best when relaying your name/biz name/any info you want people to remember. i.e., my name is joe....anytime i meet a new person, i introduce myself as "average joe." them: "what's your name?" me: "average joe." they giggle, and never forget. :)

make em associate a FEELING with whatever important info you deliver, and they're less likely to forget.

will you ever forget 'glory2jesus4photography'?mwink.gif

I think 'Jesus' invokes feeling, as I suspect does purple on yellowmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:

I will probably only remember that it had Jesus and Glory in it and I have typed it over a dozen times. I said in a earlier response about reconsidering the name. Maybe just "Glory2Jesus" but that might have already been used.

I agree its a sentence not a name. With something that long its really more likely they will refer to the name of the individual instead of the name of the business and then, what was the point of creating a business name. You are more likely to overhear a conversation like this "Hey I know a photographer Corey Brown, his # is xxx-, etc" than to hear "Hey I know a guy who does weddings, its Glory 2 Jesus 4 Photography". That is 3 syllables vs 10 syllables. People are lazy and take shortcuts in language when possible. Having "Glory 2 Jesus" as your byline for Corey Brown Photography would be how I would approach it. But that's me, what do I know. Just my $.02
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I agree its a sentence not a name. Just my $.02

I gues i just don't like to dampen peoples passion and I reckoned that thatname came froma passion , but you are probably rightmwink.gif:D
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    Nice, have you given thought to something for the back? Don't waste that space.

I may put an image on the back with a blocked out white space for me to write passwords to galleries on.

What I have been doing is asking random folks if I can take a few pics of their kids if I am out at the park with my daughter or sons. Not stalker like, but hey, Im taking pics of my kid would you like me to take some of yours. I explain that I am re-entering the photography world and taking some classes and would love the chance to photograph their kids. 100% yes so far :)

What I want to be able to do is then give the mom/dad a card with my site info and a password to the gallery I will set up with their childs pictures. That way they know their kids pic isn't all over the internet and I am hopefully a bit legit and not some wack job with a camera.

From there, if they see something they like and want to buy prints, I make a few bucks off of it. If not, I got one more moment of experience shooting kids.
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
    edited October 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:

actually, as i was typing that, i paused to see if i could recall his URL. i could not.
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    "Hey I know a guy who does weddings, its Glory 2 Jesus 4 Photography".

perhaps the name in of itself would be a possible hinderance for certain venues... then again, i could be completely wrong and it could be a key selling point. :D

personally, when i "went pro," i chose a name befitting what i do: 4theriders. i shoot motorcycle racing and trackdays... even made a catchy little mnemonic for that too to help people remember if i forget to carry a card with me or something: "why? 4 the riders." :D
  • djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    hope this looks good
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
    edited October 25, 2007
    hope this looks good

it does, on the web. i think the URL won't show well in print though.
  • Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I will probably only remember that it had Jesus and Glory in it and I have typed it over a dozen times. I said in a earlier response about reconsidering the name. Maybe just "Glory2Jesus" but that might have already been used.

I agree its a sentence not a name. With something that long its really more likely they will refer to the name of the individual instead of the name of the business and then, what was the point of creating a business name. You are more likely to overhear a conversation like this "Hey I know a photographer Corey Brown, his # is xxx-, etc" than to hear "Hey I know a guy who does weddings, its Glory 2 Jesus 4 Photography". That is 3 syllables vs 10 syllables. People are lazy and take shortcuts in language when possible. Having "Glory 2 Jesus" as your byline for Corey Brown Photography would be how I would approach it. But that's me, what do I know. Just my $.02
    I do get what you are saying and some of the biggest reasons for me not going with Corey Brown is that name is really big on google there are a few sports stars, photographers, writers, and so on. Also the name is very important to me to make sure I give glory to God in all I do first. and the colors and background of the rock all have biblical meaning. I know that very few people will get it but I hope some will ask for me to explain it.
    here is another try I know it is still very similar to the others I hope it looks better to you guys I really like your advice so pleas let me know if it is any better or not front
    212959715-M.jpg
    back
    212959745-M.jpg
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
  • caughtnactioncaughtnaction Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Re: Business Cards
    I use gotprints.com you can design your own card or use what they have on file, they have a glossy front and you can print on both sides of the card for a great price! Check them out!! KS
    edited October 26, 2007
    I do get what you are saying and some of the biggest reasons for me not going with Corey Brown is that name is really big on google there are a few sports stars, photographers, writers, and so on. Also the name is very important to me to make sure I give glory to God in all I do first. and the colors and background of the rock all have biblical meaning. I know that very few people will get it but I hope some will ask for me to explain it.
    here is another try I know it is still very similar to the others I hope it looks better to you guys I really like your advice so pleas let me know if it is any better or not front
    212959715-M.jpg
    back
    212959745-M.jpg
    I am just giving advice and some constructive criticism, in the end it still is your decision.

I think this is an improvement. The larger type makes the unusual font easier to read. I think brightening the yellow would help and a brighter purple would help as well.

On the back there is something behind the "Glory2", that needs to be removed. Also the web address is darker than the other purple fonts.

Still not really crazy about the mirror on the text. Have you thought about a drop shadow, stroke, etc instead. Oh by the way what program are you using to do the card?
  • Glory2Jesus4PhotographyGlory2Jesus4Photography Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I am just giving advice and some constructive criticism, in the end it still is your decision.

I think this is an improvement. The larger type makes the unusual font easier to read. I think brightening the yellow would help and a brighter purple would help as well.

On the back there is something behind the "Glory2", that needs to be removed. Also the web address is darker than the other purple fonts.

Still not really crazy about the mirror on the text. Have you thought about a drop shadow, stroke, etc instead. Oh by the way what program are you using to do the card?
    I am trying to use Gimp and it is whipping me it is all I have right now and I am not very familiar with it.
    I know my spelling and grammar are poor some times my spell check says "I got nothing
    for you" and there/ their is no grammar check yet so please forgive me Jesus did.
    My Web site:
    http://Glory2Jesus4Photography.smugmug.com/
    My blog: http://glory2jesus4photography.blogspot.com/
    edited October 26, 2007

much better Cory!

but there is something smudging the bottom LHS of the back,and that textrure again ... yach.. (still you seem sold on itmwink.gif:D )

make the name and phone number a little larger on the front - it will be too hard to read once printed

and change the reflection under the URL it will look like a smudged underline in print.

Try posting here at actual print size to get a better idea (unless you are printing them that big?>)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • presencepresence Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    My business card
    211001252-S-1.jpg

I deliberately left out the email address, in case anyone notices :D
    edited November 1, 2007
    presence wrote:
    211001252-S-1.jpg

looks great but is your name exactly half way between the text above and below it... it looks a tiny bit low... might just be my eye?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
    edited November 1, 2007
    presence wrote:
    211001252-S-1.jpg

I might consider swapping your name and the business name and then enlarging the business name to fill the space more, or just enlarging your name.

What about the back, most printers can and will print on the back for more or maybe included, use it.

I like the logo.
    edited November 1, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    looks great but is your name exactly half way between the text above and below it... it looks a tiny bit low... might just be my eye?

Hi Simon,
    It does look a bit low on the screen, now that you mention it. It may be because there's a horizontal line at the bottom and none at the top so one's eye has trouble measuring?? But it looks ok in my hand. The guy who did it for me used Adobe Illustrator (which has lots of rulers etc).
    edited November 1, 2007
    bham wrote:
    I might consider swapping your name and the business name and then enlarging the business name to fill the space more, or just enlarging your name.

What about the back, most printers can and will print on the back for more or maybe included, use it.

I like the logo.

RE swapping my name and business name...hmm, interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. Will try it next time and see if it works. My initial reaction would be that most people expect a 'name' in the middle and the company logo on the periphery. So they'd either be confused or remember my name better. Thanks.

Re the back of the card. I dunno. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I don't think I've seen many cards (in Ireland/UK) with info on the back. Dunno what I'd put there either. I've seen some lovely cards with a couple of small photos on them but I don't know if I'd want to be judged on a couple of tiny photos. (Edit: forgot to add that printing on the back of the card was also a LOT more expensive).

I'm a one-man operation (for the moment rolleyes1.gif) so I wanted to promote the website (relatively less work for me), my personal name, and my company name in that order.

The website is the main thing as, hopefully, clients will be half-sold before they call me. That's why the card is so spartan (& no email). Hopefully, it says 'go to my website, go to my website...'

Thanks, both, for your comments.
    edited November 1, 2007
    presence wrote:
    Hi Simon,
    It does look a bit low on the screen, now that you mention it. It may be because there's a horizontal line at the bottom and none at the top so one's eye has trouble measuring?? But it looks ok in my hand. The guy who did it for me used Adobe Illustrator (which has lots of rulers etc).

coolmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • djspinner2kdjspinner2k Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    it does, on the web. i think the URL won't show well in print though.

it actually looks pretty cool in print. online it always seems to look out of proportion
    EVGENY:D
    www.petrovphotography.com
    http://petrovphotography.smugmug.com

Canon 30D
    Canon 24-70mm F2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8L
    Canon 430EX Flash
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    back
    212959745-M.jpg

Shouldn't the 3rd line be "for all your Photographic needs"? Unless you want to use "you" instead of "your" intentionally.
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • LexPhotoLexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Opinions.......
    Ok so I know there is a thread for business cards but with it being 85 pages deep, I just want to make sure this gets seen. Hopefully this doesnt bother anyone and I am not breaking any rules! :D

So here it goes....CC welcome!

TIA!! clap.gif

Front
    feetfrontresize.jpg

Back
    blackbackresize.jpg
    LEX....
    as in Al-ex :wink

www.alexaphotos.com
    "Capturing Life...One Moment at a Time"
  • LexPhotoLexPhoto Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Throwing mine in the ring....
    I posted this on its own, but I will post it here as well. Hopefully it will be seen and given CC! mwink.gif Thanks!!!

Front
    feetfrontresize.jpg

Back
    blackbackresize.jpg
    LEX....
    as in Al-ex :wink

www.alexaphotos.com
    "Capturing Life...One Moment at a Time"