Options

Muench Workshop: Isle of Mull, Scotland - May 2008

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    6 signed upthumb.gif

Whoa there, now...Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you mean 6 total!

:D

Yup, that's right. 6 spots taken, 4 left. Soon to be 3 if the little bird I've been speaking with is on the up and up. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    harpel1harpel1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    What if we are n the UK already ?
    Hi Guys,

Any idea how much it would cost if we are in the Uk already ? So basicaly meet you at Glasgow.:ivar
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    harpel1 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Any idea how much it would cost if we are in the Uk already ? So basicaly meet you at Glasgow.:ivar

Hi Lee,

The cost is exclusive of airfare so I gues the cost will be the same

" all inclusive, excluding airfare.*

*What does all inclusive mean? It means that your hotel, food, transportation (excluding airfare) and other miscellaneous costs associated with the workshop are covered by your tuition. Once you get to the hotel, you're done spending money -- unless you want to."

• Options
    harpel1harpel1 Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    ah, may be I should have read it properly...headscratch.gif

thanks
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    I just realized that I haven't updated this thread with the latest news.

7 deposits received, only 3 spots left. If you're thinking of coming, don't delay!

The countdown continues!

dock-20071103-221153.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

dock-20071103-221153.jpg

rolleyes1.gif I tried to find something just as cool looking on Google gadgets for my own countdown and failed. Guess I'll have to power up the Mac laptop every day until then. :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 9, 2007
    Facts Photogs need to know going to Scotland
    I must admit that I have never left the North American continent.

SO I have some questions that previous travelers to the UK must know the answer to.

Andy, we will need adapters for the UK electric sockets which I understand are 240V 50 cycles. Will an Apple Mac Book Pro adapter brick need a voltage converter to be used over there? Will the charger for Canon BP-511s ( like in a 20D, 5D or a 40D ) need an adapter of some kind?

I need an international traveller to tell me the maximum luggage size for carry on in an airplane also. I know this is available on the airline website tool, but i want to hear travellers experiences about this also. Gus, Skippy, Gubbs, anyone?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Some answers, PF.

I still want to know how much I can carry-on. I really don't want to check a lens or a body.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    I read that thread, Sid, but didn't really get the answers I was hoping for.

I know that you can get a plug adapter that will plug a US 110 appliance plug into a wall socket in the UK. What I need to know is whether the Apple brick for the Mac Book Pro is able to accept 240v and whether the Canon battery charger is also.

I just rethought what Gus said.

The Canon charger CG-580 for the batteries for a 5D, 20D or 40D will tolerate voltages from 100v to 240v and 50 or 50 cycles so just a wall jack adapter ( which I already bought for a couple bucks ) will work ( I do not need a voltage adapter.)

The same is true of the Canon charger for the battery for a 1DsMkll, the NiMH charger NC-E2.

The charger for a Canon G9 ( CB-2LW ) also accepts 100-240v and 50 or 60 cps.

The power brick for my Mac Book Pro also accepts 100v to 240v and 50 or 60 cps - the lettering is so small and so light gray I had to use a slide loupe to read it, but it does say that it should survive the wall jacks in the UK.

The Power brick for my Epson P-4000 hard drive storage and viewer is ok with 100-240v and 50 to 60 cps also. I think Gus was onto something.

That answers some of my questions.

Now I still need to know firm answers on bag sizes and weights.

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    That answers some of my questions.

Jim, I went through this with my son and his laptop recently - glad you found the information re:power blocks.

Every airline is going to be different in terms of max weight allowed and carry on. In flying to the U.S. and the Caribbean, I have never had an airline tell me to check my Lowepro Computrekker camera bag. However, on smaller/charter airlines the overhead bins can be really cramped and getting the backpack in and out is a challenge.
    There are some special allowances for camera equipment as cabin baggage - the NPAA may be a source of info for that - but I've not been stopped from taking a tripod as cabin baggage, although it is a pita to do so.

ann
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    I just remember reading about stringent carry-on limits at Heathrow.

I really, really don't want to check bodies or lenses. Bunch of thieves.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Pathfinder,
    I know when we went through Paris and on to Barcelona that I carried my Tamarac camera backpack that I had in Utah all the way with no questions asked. I do believe that the weight limit is 50 lbs and the max length is 30 inches. We flew on Air France. Good luck with it. Wish I were going :cry(my hubby is saying to go, but I haven't decided for sure!) but that is my new camera and a lens almost for the trip price.

Sheila
    wxwax wrote:

• Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

That is one of my concerns exactly, Sid.

• Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    I've been round the world (both directions) for trips to India, plus another two trips to India as well as a trip to Germany in the last 12 months and last summer we spent 35 days in Europe.

On these trips I've dealt with United, Air France, Lufthansa, Singapore, Indian Airlines, All Nippon, Delta and Jet. Some, but not all, of that was in the business class cabin and I know they have more of a tendency to turn a blind eye to some stuff over coach, but not always. Additionally, I work with many people who travel frequently to intl destinations -- most of them travel coach. I've only heard of one issue, which I discuss below, and that was due to very bored counter agents.

I have traveled on all these trips with a large Dell notebook bag that is kind of similar to this one:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Carrying_Cases/productdetail.aspx?sku=310-6323

In it I kept my notebook, couple magazines, misc over-the-counter meds, mp3 player, headphones, P&S, sometimes 30D + lens, books, tickets, passport, wallet, etc. Usually weights about 20 lbs. ne_nau.gif

All my clothes went in to this:

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&id=42

Yes, this is the new version and mine were purchase 2 years ago, but they are all the same size of 9" x 21" x 14". I keep this under 40-ish lbs.

We took seven of these bags when I took my family of seven (one for each of us) to Europe. We carried them all on the plane with and additional "personal" item. My personal item was the Dell notebook bag.

I've had two "issues". Leaving India they will only allow you to have one carry-on bag and they consider the "personal" item a carry-on bag, so I checked the Rick Steve's bag and took the Dell bag with me. The other one was returning from Munich in August where they insisted that I attach the lens to my 30D so they could look through the lens. Turning on the camera wasn't enough. She wanted to look through it. The lens and 30D were in my Dell bag at the time.

I have had some co-workers, because they arrived at the airport REALLY early and got very bored counter agents, get hassled about their carry-on stuff because they were over weight. I've NEVER had them weight anything that I've carried on the plane. Flying coach or business. Never heard of anyone else having this issue, so I think it might just be a one-off.

From what I understand Heathrow only allows one bag. Period. One bag per person, so you might need to check something coming home. I try to always avoid Heathrow if possible, but when you're going to Scotland that will be hard. mwink.gif

I purchased, for the Glacier shoot out the Airport International bag from thinktankphoto.com which is just a little smaller at 8x14x21. They also have the Airport Security bag which I wanted, but everyone was out of stock. Security bag is a little bigger. Again, no issues with this and it was REALLY packed with 3 bodies, 400mm DO, 70-200mm f/2.8, etc. Weighed just under 50 lbs and had no issues getting it to Glacier and back except that Chris and I needed to gate check both of them (Chris has one as well) when leaving Kalispell as the plane was totally full. I do recommend this bag and will have the Airport Security version soon, so might be open to selling the International. thumb.gif

Hope that helps...Doug
  • Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Heathrow rules
    For info about what Heathrow allows, best to check their web site:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/page/General/Heathrow%5EGeneral%5EAirport+information%5ESecurity+control/

Currently the site says the following for traveling FROM Heathrow to the US:

Each passenger may take only one item of hand baggage through
    security control. It must be no larger than:
    • 56cm (22in) tall
    • 45cm (17.7in) wide
    • 25cm (10in) deep
    You should also check with your airline, as some operate further limits on
    bag size. Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single
    item of cabin baggage, but not separately.

If your prefered airline has different rules you might use this as a reason to give another airline a try. mwink.gif

If you stay inside those rules you should not have any issues. Of course they don't always enforce every rule.

If your bag looks heavy and/or you act like it is work to move it, they will be more likely to weight it, so build up those muscles so you can toss it around like it was nothing.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    wxwax wrote:

Hey Waxy,

Camera gear itself is not a problem for carry on, I've traveled by plane with it more times than I can count. The thing you could possibly run in to, is the size limit of the carry on luggage. Most airlines have certain size limitations. Usually you can find them on the website. They are usually not bad, and as long as you are reasonably close to that, you should be fine. Not sure what you are bringing, but a big Crumpler backpack is not a problem usually, for example.

The stringency is mainly related to fluids. There are a bunch of bizar requirements now that prohibit you from taking items that have more than 100ml of fluids, and more than X amount total. The item itself, needs to be in a special plastic bag. This actually counts for pretty much everything that is not solid. You should be okay though, just leave your makeup at home thumb.gif

Pathfinder,

I've used mac chargers and canon chargers in the US (110V) and in Europe (230V) without any problems (the Mac charger I know for sure it says on it that input is fine within 100 and 240 V and 50-60Hz, and I'm pretty sure the canon one says the same thing) thumb.gif You will need a different plug. It's not the same as most of the rest of europe. It looks like this.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    What has worked very well for me when I am alone traveling to far off places is the Karachi Outpost model by Crumpler as it will hold my laptop when I need to check in all other bags such as my normal computer case which I normally carry on as my handbag, in addition to my Crumpler. This way I have the important stuff with me no matter what, camera, lenses and laptop. The issue can be that the Crumpler will not slide in the overhead on small regional jets or planes but it is very easy to take it out once on board and place it below your beet. The Crumpler has that sleeve that comes with the pack just for this purpose.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    I fly fairly frequently inside the US and know what's permissible here.

But I understand Heathrow, in particular, to be very picky and limiting about carry-on. IOW, it's not an airline issue but an airport security issue.

Am I wrong?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    DougNorCal wrote:

Each passenger may take only one item of hand baggage through
    security control. It must be no larger than:
    • 56cm (22in) tall
    • 45cm (17.7in) wide
    • 25cm (10in) deep
    You should also check with your airline, as some operate further limits on
    bag size. Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single
    item of cabin baggage, but not separately.
    Thanks Doug. Just wondering if this is security driven, or airline driven.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I fly fairly frequently inside the US and know what's permissible here.

But I understand Heathrow, in particular, to be very picky and limiting about carry-on. IOW, it's not an airline issue but an airport security issue.

Am I wrong?
    yes but not completely. The size of the carry on luggage can be a security risk, in case it would not fit in the overhead storage compartments or under the chairs. The airport usually gives guidance for this, but the responsibility lies with the company (the captain actually, technically). The airport itself does not have people checking the size of the luggage.

The size of what is permissible for carry on luggage, is determined by airline. This should be looked at during check-in (by people that work for the airline directly or indirectly). You will see iron baskets sometimes and you could be asked to see if your luggage fits in there.

At Heathrow (and a lot of UK airports) they are strict with rules as far as what you can take with you as far as content. I've never found them to be more strict with size there than elsewhere though. As long as you meet the minimums, there should not be any problem. If you get a soft bag/backpack it may be easier to stuff your bag in there.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    OK, thanks Ivar. For domestic US travel most (all?) airlines allow two carry-ons, and you can get away with murder.

It's been a long time since I've seen them stuff someone's bag into one of those measuring frames.
    Sid.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    As somone who flies fairly regularly out of the UK can I just give the following general advice

Check out the British Airport Authority Website:- http://www.baa.com/

Don't waste time getting through security, do it as soon as you arrive, there are always plenty of services the other side of security so there's no need to wait.

Whatever time you think it's going to take to get through security, treble it, stay calm and don't make comical remarks about bombs and terrorism, if you even mention the 'B' word you'll get yourself in serious difficulties.

Make sure you check what you are allowed to carry in your carry-on luggage, it will be screened and you will be pulled up if you have anything that's prohibited (these are the people that cause the long queues (lines,) they either ignore the instructions or don't read them. For instance you have to place things such as toiletries in a transparent resealable bag.

Current restrictions here

Charlie
  • Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I love Mull!!!
    I spent part of my honeymoon on Mull and I am still threatening to move there someday.
    Tobermory is lovely...a line of pretty painted houses along the shore. (just like in Ballimorie on TV)
    My husband and I spent some time in the MacDonald Arms pub (I am related to the MacDonalds but from Skye). It was in this pub that I learned to drink scotch. If you want to acquire this (expensive) habit, get a whiskey with a beer chaser - alternate sips. Don't do this with cider...it is much too sweet. Don't drink Tobermory whiskey...it isn't very good. Oban is much better. My favs inlcude Laphroaig (peaty) and Isle of Jura (smooth).

Make sure you take a look at the sky at night. You are so far away from any lights that you see more stars than you thought possible.

I went to the highland clearance cottages that are in the agenda. They are pretty cool. When I saw them, there were sheep all around them. Also, some people were cutting peat in the field near there.

Calgary Alberta was named after Calgary Bay on Mull by an RCMP officer who had vacationed there as a child.

If there are any Australians here/going, make sure you see Macquarie's tomb on the island - he was from Mull and went back when he died.

We also spent an afternoon on Iona which is nice. It is where the Scottish kings are buried but there is no real record of who is buried where.

Oh, I am sooooo jealous.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Moni wrote:
    I spent part of my honeymoon on Mull and I am still threatening to move there someday.
    Tobermory is lovely...a line of pretty painted houses along the shore. (just like in Ballimorie on TV)
    My husband and I spent some time in the MacDonald Arms pub (I am related to the MacDonalds but from Skye). It was in this pub that I learned to drink scotch. If you want to acquire this (expensive) habit, get a whiskey with a beer chaser - alternate sips. Don't do this with cider...it is much too sweet. Don't drink Tobermory whiskey...it isn't very good. Oban is much better. My favs inlcude Laphroaig (peaty) and Isle of Jura (smooth).

Make sure you take a look at the sky at night. You are so far away from any lights that you see more stars than you thought possible.

I went to the highland clearance cottages that are in the agenda. They are pretty cool. When I saw them, there were sheep all around them. Also, some people were cutting peat in the field near there.

Calgary Alberta was named after Calgary Bay on Mull by an RCMP officer who had vacationed there as a child.

If there are any Australians here/going, make sure you see McQuarrie's tomb on the island - he was from Mull and went back when he died.

We also spent an afternoon on Iona which is nice. It is where the Scottish kings are buried but there is no real record of who is buried where.

Oh, I am sooooo jealous.
    Moni,

Thanks for sharing some very cool tips. Looks like we will be shooting all night, maybe with whisky in hand:D
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    I'm in and can't wait, that's my prize money from Professional Photographer of the Year spent already, and I haven't even got the cheque yet rolleyes1.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    I'm in and can't wait, that's my prize money from Professional Photographer of the Year spent already, and I haven't even got the cheque yet rolleyes1.gif

Charlie

Hah! clap.gif

2 spots left, folks. deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    ..I am planning on going to Scotland .... in August/September.

I don't have $4k for this. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2007
    Wow - this looks fantastic. Shame I cant afford it ne_nau.gif but I might go up on my tod with motorbike and tent and have a good look-see at all these locations after you guys have been there.

Surprised you didn't include Skye in the itinerary, but I'm sure Mull will be most excellent.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    For those who are going, would anyone be interested in swinging through Ireland and Wales as well? I was planning an Ireland/Wales/Scotland vacation for next summer anyway, and since my Scotland leg is all planned out, I've been investigating the Ireland/Wales portions. I'd make a great travel partner in Ireland, as I studied abroad there a number of years ago. :D I've been dying to go back ever since.

My ideal plan is to fly in to Shannon and reexplore the west coast (Galway is one of my fave places in the world) then trek across to Dublin (which is about a three-hour drive straight, though I imagine taking a southern route there, through Kerry). From Dublin, you can catch a ferry to Holyhead, Wales. From there, it's simply a matter of driving north. mwink.gif

Still checking prices and all that, but I thought I'd see if anyone else was game. And if you can drive a manual, how may I bribe you to join me? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    What length of time are you considering Kerry? MY wife and I can both drive a stick too....... She drives a Mini everyday!

I have not purchased my airfaire yet, but would like to get cracking on that within the next week or so, as I suspect fares will start rising after the New Year