Options

Muench Workshop: Isle of Mull, Scotland - May 2008

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Just curious (because the weather is pretty wet here this week)

What's the weather like around Mull in May? I've seen general reports of how the west is wetter than the east, but in other words is there anything we need to keep in mind about keeping our gear dry while we're shooting in it? Do we need to consider things like this? lol3.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Just curious (because the weather is pretty wet here this week)

What's the weather like around Mull in May? I've seen general reports of how the west is wetter than the east, but in other words is there anything we need to keep in mind about keeping our gear dry while we're shooting in it? Do we need to consider things like this? lol3.gif

I'm planning on having my raingear for me... and some covering for my camera, too. And plenty of extra ziplocks and plastic bags. And towels.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I'm planning on having my raingear for me... and some covering for my camera, too. And plenty of extra ziplocks and plastic bags. And towels.

I'm going to need clarification on the "some covering" for the cameras. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    I'm going to need clarification on the "some covering" for the cameras. headscratch.gif

http://www.ziploc.com/
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Camera-Zip-lock/
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:

umph.gif

I assumed there would have been some efficient methods of keeping your gear dry when you're standing out in the rain looking through the viewfinder. I guess it's crossing fingers for our non-weather-proofed bodies and wiping the glass clean when water gets on it?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2008
    Schmoo,

How about this?

kata E-702 element cover | B&H Photo Video

Sam

Sorry about link color. I can't figure out how to change it.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    umph.gif

I assumed there would have been some efficient methods of keeping your gear dry when you're standing out in the rain looking through the viewfinder. I guess it's crossing fingers for our non-weather-proofed bodies and wiping the glass clean when water gets on it?
    TBH, I was serious - the only thing I've ever used is ziplocs and plastic coverings. There are some things, yes, I think I'll ask Ian to chime in thumb.gif
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

I think Andy keeps many other things in ziploc bags so they are handy:D

Underwater housing is the only way too keep a camera really dry! Shy of that, I either use a small travel umbrella or my jacket. Usually I don't shoot when the heavy stuff is coming down:cry maybe that should be a new techniqueeek7.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    I think Andy keeps many other things in ziploc bags so they are handy:D

Underwater housing is the only way too keep a camera really dry! Shy of that, I either use a small travel umbrella or my jacket. Usually I don't shoot when the heavy stuff is coming down:cry maybe that should be a new techniqueeek7.gif

Yabbut you're shooting with a sealed camera!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2008
    Usually I don't shoot when the heavy stuff is coming down...
    Well then, thank goodness Scotland is also known for their whisky! rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, OK I take the hint with the Ziplocs and raincoats.
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Mmm, I've just had to hand over my 1ds to Canon for a warranty repair, I do hope it doesn't disappear into a black hole only to emerge too late for Mull.

I have a 5d but I'm not sure it's the best camera to rely on in what may well be quite damp conditions, I'm sure I've read somewhere about its aversion to water.

Charlie
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Well then, thank goodness Scotland is also known for their whisky! rolleyes1.gif

Seriously though, OK I take the hint with the Ziplocs and raincoats.

Hey, you weren't alone! I was looking at waterproof covers at B&H. mwink.gif I usually use the ziplocs to pack my clothes tighter, but I guess I'll need a few extra this go round. :D
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Is everyone else taking a laptop? Will I be seriously disadvantaged without one?

Charlie
  • Options
    FrogwellFrogwell Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Is everyone else taking a laptop? Will I be seriously disadvantaged without one?

Charlie

Steady, you'll be in danger of starting a cargo cult :D
    I didn't sell out, I bought in.
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Charlie,

At Utah, many of us brought laptops simply because it's very hard to go so many days without seeing your shots big! It's not required unless Marc has changed the way they do things, but it's nice to have. Given how much shooting and critiquing we did, there wasn't a whole lot of time to do actual processing but sometimes it's nice to have the laptop to preview and select some images before Marc drags your whole CF card up to the chopping block. mwink.gif

I lugged it from home but left it in the hotel room when we were out shooting during the day. So even though it might seem like a pain to tote, it wasn't.
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Thanks Schmoo, so essentially, to clarify, what you're saying is that really I have no choice but to buy a new Macbook Air?

Charlie
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Thanks Schmoo, so essentially, to clarify, what you're saying is that really I have no choice but to buy a new Macbook Air?

Charlie

Funny, I'd come to that same conclusion a few weeks ago. :giggle
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie
    rolleyes1.gif

And the pre-workshop shopping begins! :smo

I better get ahold of that RRS Pano Head...
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Well, you couldn't head into the trip of a lifetime ill-equipped could you, you'd never forgive yourself? mwink.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Funny, I'd come to that same conclusion a few weeks ago. :giggle
    Great minds.... rolleyes1.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2008
    thebigsky wrote:
    Great minds.... rolleyes1.gif

Charlie

I can already tell it's gonna be a great workshop! :smo
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2008
    So...what's on your shopping list to get before the trip? naughty.gif

So far on mine:
    - One of the new Nikon wide-angle lenses (I hate, hate, hate my current WA lens--figure I should like putting that piece of glass on if I'm going to be shooting tons of landscapes)

- New Crumpler barge bag (I have the 7 billion dollar bag, which will be too huge to tote and won't accomodate a laptop for tricky carry-on packing)

- Rain slicker mwink.gif

- More batteries and extra memory cards

- And either a Mac Air or D200--I haven't yet decided if the smaller laptop or second body is more important to me right now

So dish! :eat Whatchoo gettin'?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    From "a friend" :)
    Hi Andy, IM away when the scotland workshop is on, otherwise I'd be interested

So I was looking through the workshop details and just thought I'd mention - Bug Spray. Yup you might find you need more of it than you expect.

The West coast of Scotland is renowned for it's man-eating midges! Dusk is feeding time - you have been warned!

Seriously though , Im not sure of the worst time of year but midges ( tiny gnat thingys) rise up in huge head-hugging swarms if you're anywhere near water. Drove me crazy last time I was up there!

deal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    From "a friend" :)

deal.gif

We'll make sure that our location scout and local, Kevin Cowle has a couple of bottles to pass around, too. thumb.gif No need to carry it on the plane, after all!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    We'll make sure that our location scout and local, Kevin Cowle has a couple of bottles to pass around, too. thumb.gif No need to carry it on the plane, after all!
    Good, because you know how demanding that prissy Marc Muench can be!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Good, because you know how demanding that prissy Marc Muench can be!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm....Andy, he's got nothing on you! deal.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    So...what's on your shopping list to get before the trip? naughty.gif
    I don't think I'm really allowed to divulge my entire list because I'm always the worst-equipped photographer in the pack. lol3.gif

I think it's safe to say that the RRS pano head is going to find its way onto my tripod very soon so I have time to figure out how it works. I already discussed the merits of an ND filter. I'm going to second needing a decent rain coat.

I'm trying to think of things that I might have wanted on the last workshop that I forgot to bring, but I'm drawing a blank. On the contrary I found that I brought too much and most of it got in the way or weighed me down.

But, eh, I already got a pair of wellies and a camera so that's really all that matters, right?
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Just remember Stephanie, what you forget, Andy will have:D:D:D

I always like to be more efficient than overloaded. Even if that means I get a few bug bites a little wet or even cought with the imperfect focal length lens. However, that being said, I will be bringing :

1ds M111 body with RRS L bracket
    24 tilt-shift lens
    70-200 2.8 zoom
    Nikon 16 fisheye w/adaptor to canon
    Xtra battery

Two ND filters
    HOya NDX 400
    Hoya NDX 8
    Hoya polarizing

back up
    Canon G-9
    wide lens 28mm
    this will really be used for blackmail shots of Andy and David

Tripod with RRS ball head and pano tools

Mac Book
    La Cie external HD
    Several 8 Gig cards

In addition to reg clothes I will be packing a rain parka and lightweight rain pants and boots

Oh and toothbrush, as the Scotch leaves bad breatheek7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    Just remember Stephanie, what you forget, Andy will have:D:D:D
    Spoken by the master himself! :smo

So Marc, you won't by carrying a flash with you on this trip? ear.gif Just checking, 'cuz I lugged it around Utah but on the last day finally chucked it into my suitcase. :D
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2008
    So Marc, you won't by carrying a flash with you on this trip? ear.gif Just checking, 'cuz I lugged it around Utah but on the last day finally chucked it into my suitcase. :D

The flash will not accompany me to Scotland:cry as I figure multiple exposures will have to do, to capture the shadows. I do like the effect of a well placed flash in the landscape, but when space is limited I leave it behind. I have been know to use the flash on a point and shoot as "fill" during a long exposurewings.gif