Options

Muench Workshop: Isle of Mull, Scotland - May 2008

Comments

• Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    A bit more info on the Ireland/Wales bit if anyone is curious or interested in joining me: I've found a deal for $1500 for two weeks (one week in Ireland and one week in Wales/England before meeting up with everyone in Glasgow). This includes a rental car and room fees, but not airfare.

Some places of interest I hope to (re)visit (and hope to entice others with): Galway, Aran Islands, Connemara, Kylemore Abbey, Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, Killarney, Ring of Kerry (Ireland), Swansea, Cardiff (Wales), Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge, Manchester (or Liverpool, if you're all about the Beatles), the Lake Country, and maybe Edinburgh (because I just want to say that I've been there). :D

Wales would be an absolutely lovely drive all along the west and south coast (which would take about a day--it's a small country).

I'm slightly addicted to country hopping, but this would be my first time doing it by car. Thus I'd welcome some company on the journey. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    What length of time are you considering Kerry? MY wife and I can both drive a stick too....... She drives a Mini everyday!

I have not purchased my airfaire yet, but would like to get cracking on that within the next week or so, as I suspect fairs will start rising after the New Year

Ack! I was replying at the same time! rolleyes1.gif I just gave a rough sketch above, but I can negotiate on time if it means I can have some company. I recognize not everyone is a fan of the three-week vacation, or has that much PTO. eek7.gif
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    I absolutely wish I could spend an extra week going around all the Isles. The time I spent in Ireland years ago was too short and I was too new to photography to take advantage of the beautiful country!

Wales has also loooooong been on my list of places to go. But again it's going to have to wait. :(:

Are you sure it has to be a manual transmission? I drive a stick every day but the prospect of doing so on the "wrong" side of the road/car was too daunting and we opted to rent an automatic. lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I absolutely wish I could spend an extra week going around all the Isles. The time I spent in Ireland years ago was too short and I was too new to photography to take advantage of the beautiful country!

Wales has also loooooong been on my list of places to go. But again it's going to have to wait. :(:

Are you sure it has to be a manual transmission? I drive a stick every day but the prospect of doing so on the "wrong" side of the road/car was too daunting and we opted to rent an automatic. lol3.gif

When I studied abroad there eight years ago, I didn't even own a camera. Many of my photos from that amazing time are from disposable cameras! rolleyes1.gif

And I can upgrade to an automatic, but I'm trying to do this on a budget. :D The "wrong" side of the road thing terrifies me. As do traffic circles. I hate them. The first time I came to DC for an interview, I got lost walking around Dupont Circle. God help me if I try it while driving...
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 4, 2007
    Kathy and I want to spend an extra week or so either prior or after the shoot, but I am not sure we can wangle three weeks total. Give me a few days to talk to here and her boss and my boss etc, etc.

I have never driven on the left side of the road, but what could possibly go wrong with that??:D :D I would not want to do in heavy traffic, but otherwise....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Kathy and I want to spend an extra week or so either prior or after the shoot, but I am not sure we can wangle three weeks total. Give me a few days to talk to here and her boss and my boss etc, etc.

I have never driven on the left side of the road, but what could possibly go wrong with that??:D :D I would not want to do in heavy traffic, but otherwise....

Sure thing! Even just that week of Wales/England would be fantastic to do, and I could certainly settle for that. Absolutely amazing drive, I'm told (and potentially exciting in a Griswold kind of way, sounds like!). :D Could even just fly into Dublin for a day before taking the ferry over, if y'all've never been.

I plan to permanently reside in Ireland one day anyhow (soon as Penguin Books hires me in their Dublin office), so I can get my fill of it then. mwink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    There is but one spot remaining on the trip. So, if you've been on the fence about it, now is the time to hop off! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    As much as I'd love to, I can't make Scotland, but if your interested I'd be keen to meet up / help out for some or all of Swansea, Cardiff, Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge. I'd strongly recommend that you make some time for West Wales, fantastic coastline and plenty of history.

I also drive with a stick on the correct side of the road. Andy and Gus may vouch for my driving capabilities :D
  • Options
    plestigplestig Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Beautiful photo
    Can you please explain to me how made the water look like you did? It is truly an amazing photo! I wish I could attend your workshop. It sounds amazing.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    gubbs wrote:
    As much as I'd love to, I can't make Scotland, but if your interested I'd be keen to meet up / help out for some or all of Swansea, Cardiff, Bath, Salisbury, Stonehenge. I'd strongly recommend that you make some time for West Wales, fantastic coastline and plenty of history.

I also drive with a stick on the correct side of the road. Andy and Gus may vouch for my driving capabilities :D

You talked me into in Jon.

Now I need to get a large scale map and begin to plot out a route -

How near Manchester are you? I REALLY would prefer to avoid Heathrow
    from what I have read.

Am I daft, or is it worthwhile to avoid Heathrow as a phtographer?

Can a Yank learn to drive safely in Great Britain also? Do we need an International drivers License?

I know you drove a motorhome here in the colonies, so you must have some ideas about these questions.

I want to begin to finalize the plans over the next week or so, so that I can purchase my tickets as soon as possible. Any comments, LLewellyn?

• Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    You talked me into in Jon.

Now I need to get a large scale map and begin to plot out a route -

from what I have read.

Can a Yank learn to drive safely in Great Britain also? Do we need an International drivers License?

I know you drove a motorhome here in the colonies, so you must have some ideas about these questions.

I want to begin to finalize the plans over the next week or so, so that I can purchase my tickets as soon as possible. Any comments, LLewellyn?

If you or anyone else coming, have time to take in Wells, or any other part of the south west that Jon isn't able to show you I would love to share it with you :) Wells is about 20 miles from Bath.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    from what I have read.

Jim, Manchester is 3+ hrs North of Heathrow, If you're trying to avoid LHR because of the security don't, they're all BAA airports and are under the same restrictions.
    Heathrow runs at something like 95% capacity so it only takes a small problem to cause a large one., but if you avoid peak holiday periods, you should be fine. When my brother comes home he always flies in to Heathrow or Gatwick & rarely has a problem.

If a limey can drive a motorhome in the US (My problems only came about giving gus a lift, it's hard concentrating when your laughing so much lol3.gif ), I'm sure a yank can drive safely in the UK rolleyes1.gifwe just drive on the left, have a few more bends, roundabouts, and traffic everywhere. You'll be fine!!!

I'm positive your US licence is OK, but just did a quick google to double check thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    The "wrong" side of the road thing terrifies me. As do traffic circles. I hate them. The first time I came to DC for an interview, I got lost walking around Dupont Circle. God help me if I try it while driving...

You get used to it very quickly, just remember to go clockwise round the roundabouts otherwise it does get a bit scary :jawdrop
  • Options
    Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    driving in scotland
    Hello everyone,
    I jump late into the discussion but here I am anyways. I also singed up for the workshop and I’m very excited to return yet again to Scotland. A truly amazing land that quickly became on of my favorite places on this earth.
    For those that worry about the driving; don’t. Rent automatic it really helps make things simple.
    The driving part is easy even in traffic, simply because in traffic you follow others and it becomes very unlikely to be on the wrong side.
    Once you are away from the cities and the high traffic then roads often become one lane with passing points all along the route driving there couldn’t be easier.
    In other words not much to worry about.
    www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2007
    Mano photo wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I jump late into the discussion but here I am anyways. I also singed up for the workshop and I’m very excited to return yet again to Scotland. A truly amazing land that quickly became on of my favorite places on this earth.
    For those that worry about the driving; don’t. Rent automatic it really helps make things simple.
    The driving part is easy even in traffic, simply because in traffic you follow others and it becomes very unlikely to be on the wrong side.
    Once you are away from the cities and the high traffic then roads often become one lane with passing points all along the route driving there couldn’t be easier.
    In other words not much to worry about.

Hello Emmanuel!

I am truly stunned by your photography. I look forward to meeting you and seeing how you go about the land capturing such beauty! thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Mano photo wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    Wowee. Your work is fantastic. bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Emmanuel CoupeEmmanuel Coupe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    answer to Plestig
    plestig wrote:
    Can you please explain to me how made the water look like you did? It is truly an amazing photo! I wish I could attend your workshop. It sounds amazing.

Hello Plestig,
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    If you want to achieve the cloud like appearance of the water you need to capture the scene with a long exposure.
    The more you expose the less detail you get on the moving water, that is the key to understanding this simple procedure.
    In this instance I exposed for 3 seconds the scene, as the water kept flowing the camera was recording.
    Light conditions are very important to think off, as they make it possible or not to capture scenes with long exposure. On that day the weather was raging furious, with constant rain and the ambient light was dim as you can imagine.
    I immediately thought it would be a great day to photograph the Fairy Pools as this place is called.
    Overall I would say overcast does allow you to close down enough your diaphragm to get over half a second exposures, which is fine.
    Try at home with your shower, record the running water for few seconds with your camera and see for yourself. Keep in mind that just because you need long exposure doesn’t necessarily mean that the more you exposure the better. This is an artistic decision try different things and fine tune according to your taste.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Cheers,
    Emmanuel
    www.emmanuelcoupe.com

"Whatever befalls the Earth befalls the sons and daughters of the Earth. We did not weave the web of life; We are merely a strand in it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselvs.." Chief Seattle
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:

I also want to snag my tickets soon. The route I outlined follows the west coast of Wales and then south before crossing to Bath and Salisbury, then north to Manchester and the Lake Country to Glasgow. I think flying in to Dublin and hopping the ferry over to Holyhead would work best for this. Holyhead is in the NW of Wales. (This is assuming the Wales portion preceeds the Scotland portion.) You could then depart from Glasgow and not have to deal with any London airports. :D

The travel agent I'd been working with could set up the rental car for the week with overnight stays in Aberysywth (should we need it early on the trip), Cardiff, and Manchester. I can check on Bath or Salisbury availability. Price when I last checked with them for the deal was $960 per person, excluding airfare.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    I bought my large scale maps of Great Britain this afternoon - I will look at your suggestions more seriously tomorrow evening, and try to finalize these plans.

• Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    I was planning it out using Google: rough layout here. :D

It looks like a lot, but if you notice the travel times, it's really quite doable.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2007
    This may be a silly question, but is Prestwick the airport we should be flying into? Glasgow International is the main one, I thought, but the Ibis hotel is situated closer to Prestwick according to their website.

Edit: The website seems incorrect. A map shows that Glasgow International is only 17 minutes from the hotel, which makes sense. I have no idea why their site says Prestwick was the nearest. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    Llywellyn wrote:
    I also want to snag my tickets soon. The route I outlined follows the west coast of Wales and then south before crossing to Bath and Salisbury, then north to Manchester and the Lake Country to Glasgow. I think flying in to Dublin and hopping the ferry over to Holyhead would work best for this. Holyhead is in the NW of Wales. (This is assuming the Wales portion preceeds the Scotland portion.) You could then depart from Glasgow and not have to deal with any London airports. :D

The travel agent I'd been working with could set up the rental car for the week with overnight stays in Aberysywth (should we need it early on the trip), Cardiff, and Manchester. I can check on Bath or Salisbury availability. Price when I last checked with them for the deal was $960 per person, excluding airfare.

Ok - I am beginning to get the drift now - I needed some maps to sort this all out.

Land in Dublin, Ireland - what time of arrival? Rent a car, get on a ferry - can we do this all in the same day? How long does the ferry take? It looks like 40-50 miles to Holyhead. Do we need to add time to clear customs, rent a car,etc etc? Ferry to Holyhead - I love saltwater and ferrys. Drive to Aberswyth, then Cardiff and Manchester for a total of three or four days, then on to Glascow. This sounds like a great trip. Do we dump the car in Glascow then? Since we will be departing from Glascow home?

We can meet the arrivals at the Glascow airport, or just meet them as they arrive at the Ibis hotel as they arrive in Glascow Thursday May 15.

~$1k per person includes exactly what? Ferry tickets ( ~40 Euros per person without a car one way ), car rental, room rentals, all the way to Glascow? Meals and booze are extra I presume.

• Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ok - I am beginning to get the drift now - I needed some maps to sort this all out.
    You just about got the entire gist. Landing in Dublin and taking the ferry to pick up the car in Holyhead is how it'd work, and yes, that can all be done in one day. Though if you want to at least see St. Patrick's Cathedral or the Guinness factory, we could fly in in the morning and take the afternoon ferry over, then pick up the car (you can't take a rental car across the pond). At the end of the drive up to Glasgow, yes, we drop the car there. Then we'd need to taxi out to Ibis and taxi back for the flight out.

The ~1K included rental car, ferry (will double-check), and room rental, correct. Airfare and food are not included.

It would be a custom deal through Brian Moore International Tours, which is a group Budget Travel Magazine recommended and has used.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2007
    Ok - one car for three or four people? Automatic? or Manual?

What dates do you have in mind? St Patrick's Cathedral sounds fascinating. I am sure we can get Guinness on the ferry.

The route looks fascinating, esp the coast drive. That may take longer thatn expected due to stopping, looking and photographing don't you think?

Not sure I understand the reason to go to SouthHampton - Couldn't you just head north from Bath?

Maybe we should do this via PM?

• Options
    edited December 19, 2007
    PM sent. thumb.gif
  • Options
    OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    If you folks have the time after Mull, I highly recommend taking a trip further north up the West Coast of Scotland. There are dozens of beautiful coastline villages, lochs and impressive mountain ranges to explore. thumb.gif

And if you like something a bit different, visit the Perfume Studio in Mellon Charles (Scotland's only working perfumery) run by an eccentric Irish scientist (my better half's father rolleyes1.gif) Give it a Google.. I dare you not to be interested :D
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
    Happy New Year
    An update for all flyingdeal.gif

On January 1, 2008, a new rule limits how many spare lithium (rechargeable) batteries you can take on an airplane.

No lithium battery spares are allowed in your checked baggage.

Up to two spares are allowed in carry-on bags.

Batteries that are installed in their devices are not spares and are not affected by the new rule.

Details

The formal regulation limits you to 25 grams of “equivalent lithium content.” According to the Transportation Department’s SafeTravel site, 25 grams translates to about 300 watt-hours of battery capacity. The typical spare battery for a laptop or video camera is in the 100-200 watt-hour range.

Some of your “what if” questions are answered on the SafeTravel site.

The reason for the rule is that there have been cases of a battery catching fire. The TSA reasons that if the fire broke out in the passenger cabin, it would quickly be noticed and the flight attendants would put it out with fire extinguishers. In the baggage compartment, it probably would not be noticed until the blaze was out of control.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2007
  • Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Hmm, stupid question: is it full yet? Next stupid question: Is it possible for me to hop down from Oslo and join in if not?
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    ulrikft wrote:
    Hmm, stupid question: is it full yet? Next stupid question: Is it possible for me to hop down from Oslo and join in if not?

Nope, there is one spot left, waiting just for you. Hop on down!

Which means, please send me an email (via my profile) and we'll work out your registration details. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops