Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    jodieoliverjodieoliver Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    Photoshows
    What do you think of photoshows! Something we could make from Smug for our clients to be able to put on myspace/facebook or email to friends. Then if they wanted it on CD we could charge for it? Right now I do mine w/ photoshow and I don't get any benifit if they want to buy it! Make Sence??ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    TakedaTakeda Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Individual Photo URLs
    I know you can get the URL for individual photos in a gallery, or you can get the URL for the gallery itself. Is there a way to get a URL list for ALL the individual photos in a gallery?

Thanks!
    Bob
    http://bob-ayers.smugmug.com

D70, D300, 18 70mm, 70 300mm, 85mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.8VR, 17 55mm f/2.8, 70 200mm f/2.8VR
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Takeda wrote:
    I know you can get the URL for individual photos in a gallery, or you can get the URL for the gallery itself. Is there a way to get a URL list for ALL the individual photos in a gallery?

Thanks!

The Smugmug API can get a URL list for all the photos in any public gallery or in any of your galleries if you login with the API.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The Smugmug API can get a URL list for all the photos in any public gallery or in any of your galleries if you login with the API.

Thanks for your post! I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with API, can you explain it to me?
    Bob

D70, D300, 18 70mm, 70 300mm, 85mm f/1.4, 105mm f/2.8VR, 17 55mm f/2.8, 70 200mm f/2.8VR
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Takeda wrote:
    Thanks for your post! I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with API, can you explain it to me?
    the API is an Application Programming Interface. Usually if you don't know what API is, you are probably not in a position to use it, sorry.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    the API is an Application Programming Interface. Usually if you don't know what API is, you are probably not in a position to use it, sorry.

Thanks! You are correct, I know nothing about API.
    Bob

• Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Gallery links/Direct photo links: change them to use the custom domain name instead of xxx.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Gallery links/Direct photo links: change them to use the custom domain name instead of xxx.smugmug.com
    headscratch.gif They do...

20080425-xbqic5hp7w4s4ygeymr6kqk79n.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2008
    What do you think of photoshows! Something we could make from Smug for our clients to be able to put on myspace/facebook or email to friends. Then if they wanted it on CD we could charge for it? Right now I do mine w/ photoshow and I don't get any benifit if they want to buy it! Make Sence??ne_nau.gif
    Sure it makes sense ... we do have embeddable slideshows, are you aware of that?

See post#1 http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=73247
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif They do...
    Andy,

When I am on any page of my site (www.greyleafphoto.com/whatever) I will click on the login link in the footer.
    After logging in there are two options:
    1) Return to the page you were viewing or
    2) Go to your smugmug homepage

The first link takes you to www.greyleafphoto.com/whatever

The second (which is what I always use) takes me to greyleafphoto.smugmug.com

So, when I go to a gallery that I share links they come out as greyleafphoto.smugmug.com.

Hope this make sense.
  • Options
    scanzanoscanzano Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2008
    Delete Photos Bulk - show Hidden flag
    When using the photo tools->Delete Photos(Bulk) tool it would be nice to either

1. show which photos are marked as hidden

or

2. be able to easily select the photos that are marked as hidden.

I think of the hidden flag as my way of marking for a 'recycle bin' of sorts. The hidden files are the ones I do not want folks to see. After I have reviewed all of the photos in a gallery and decided which ones to hide/not hide I would like an easy way to just delete the hidden ones.

thanks
    steve
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 30, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    1) Virtual Galleries - I realize this has been requested for a very long time, but I was wondering if there was any further updates on this. The ability to upload a picture one time to a main gallery category and then have that photo displayed in numerous other Virtual galleries would be fantastic! (and yes, I know all about all of the workarounds, they just aren't that streamlined and are kind of a PITA IMHO)
    Hey Rhuarc,

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to call you and ask more questions. Can you PM me your phone if you're interested in talking?

Thanks!
    Baldy
  • Options
    bch2300bch2300 Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey Rhuarc,

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to call you and ask more questions. Can you PM me your phone if you're interested in talking?

Thanks!
    Baldy

along the lines of virtual galleries-- what i would *really* like, the ability to assign a secondary gallery on a per picture basis-- this would allow me to put a picture in the gallery i want it in, but have it display in other galleries as well... just a thought- it would be better than creating two copies of the pic, particularly useful for pictures that get comments-

-bh
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Have you guys taken a look at .mac galleries lately?
    I just came across an Apple website for their ".mac" service and was really impressed by the user interface for their new photo galleries. There are aspects of the UI which are very well thought out that I would LOVE to see on SmugMug (see below for a screenshot). Here are some examples:

1) Users can switch gallery styles by clicking small icons in the lower left corner of the screen. This is more intuitive than using a pull-down menu, and the icons give a visual representation of what the gallery style looks like.

2) There is a slider control in the lower right corner of the screen that allows a user to dynamically resize thumbnails in some views. This is a really cool feature and is especially useful to users with poor vision or age-related vision problems.

3) Functions such as sharing, downloading, etc. are clearly represented by icons in a place where users can easily find them.

4) Overall the user interface is extremely clean, intuitive, and visually pleasing compared to SmugMug.

You can explore a demo gallery here:
    http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

It goes without saying that many SmugMug users (like me) have needs that won't be met by a service like .mac, and their UI isn't flawless, but in typical Apple style they have done some things worth looking at.

Dale
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    bch2300 wrote:
    along the lines of virtual galleries-- what i would *really* like, the ability to assign a secondary gallery on a per picture basis-- this would allow me to put a picture in the gallery i want it in, but have it display in other galleries as well... just a thought- it would be better than creating two copies of the pic, particularly useful for pictures that get comments-

-bh

I'm sure many people have already echoed this comment, but "virtual galleries" are probably my #1 feature request. I am planning to add photo galleries based on geography, but one of the challenges is that I also want to present some photos based on a different photographic theme. For example, I may have sub-categories based on each country in South America, but I also want a virtual gallery called South American Portraits which features individual photos from many different galleries in different sub-categories. This would be much easier to manage than having multiple copies of photos, and would make sure all comments get attached to a single copy of the photo.

At the risk of mentioning the competition (competition is good, right?!), Zenfolio does a really good job of this through "collections". I'm sure you guys have played with it, but I think they have that feature nailed.

Dale
  • Options
    VirtualityVirtuality Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Adding fullscreen to "Photo Sizes" menu
    I would love to see one more size added to the "Photo sizes" menu (currently small to original) - a fullscreen size, so if you click on it the image shows fullscreen (exactly as it currently shows fullscreen if you run the slideshow). Then you could choose to see an image fullscreen if you wish without having to run the slideshow. Yes I know there's auto and I know there's slideshow but I want to see a simple go to overlay-everything fullscreen and back again without the additional steps that auto and slideshow take.
    Don't fob me off dudes - you get your tecknos onto it - I wanna see it and I won't take no for an answer! :):
    It's the one key thing still missing from the very very good.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 1, 2008
    NWMtnGuy wrote:
    I just came across an Apple website for their ".mac" service and was really impressed by the user interface for their new photo galleries. There are aspects of the UI which are very well thought out that I would LOVE to see on SmugMug (see below for a screenshot). Here are some examples:

1) Users can switch gallery styles by clicking small icons in the lower left corner of the screen. This is more intuitive than using a pull-down menu, and the icons give a visual representation of what the gallery style looks like.

2) There is a slider control in the lower right corner of the screen that allows a user to dynamically resize thumbnails in some views. This is a really cool feature and is especially useful to users with poor vision or age-related vision problems.

3) Functions such as sharing, downloading, etc. are clearly represented by icons in a place where users can easily find them.

4) Overall the user interface is extremely clean, intuitive, and visually pleasing compared to SmugMug.

You can explore a demo gallery here:
    http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

It goes without saying that many SmugMug users (like me) have needs that won't be met by a service like .mac, and their UI isn't flawless, but in typical Apple style they have done some things worth looking at.

Dale
    Yeah, we've been watching them, or maybe more accurately they've been watching us. My olde Apple buds are in charge of it.

They did beautiful art, as always at Apple, with shiny iPhone-like buttons. We're working on beautifying our art as well. We went to square thumbs by default because it does make the page look good, as they have shown.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things about their page that would make our customers' heads explode such as the scrolling and lack of smart page/image size usage. We also get feedback that it's stark. But the art we like.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Yeah, we've been watching them, or maybe more accurately they've been watching us. My olde Apple buds are in charge of it.

They did beautiful art, as always at Apple, with shiny iPhone-like buttons. We're working on beautifying our art as well. We went to square thumbs by default because it does make the page look good, as they have shown.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of things about their page that would make our customers' heads explode such as the scrolling and lack of smart page/image size usage. We also get feedback that it's stark. But the art we like.

I had a sneaky suspicion those guys had copied you a bit bowdown.gif

The thing that really stuck out when I tried the .mac demo site was how intuitively it worked and how slick it looked. It's not perfect, and I'm sure there are some things that would drive SmugMug users (myself included) nuts, but there's nice stuff too. My favorite aspect was the art/icons for navigation - sounds like you're already on that!
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Right Click Protection suggestion
    I would love to see a feature that would allow me to have the right click warning disabled when I am logged in. I post a lot of pics, and also download a lot of pics from my website. It is such a pain to go into the customize section to turn the right click warning off, download pics, turn it back on.

Please help!
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2008
    I would love to see a feature that would allow me to have the right click warning disabled when I am logged in. I post a lot of pics, and also download a lot of pics from my website. It is such a pain to go into the customize section to turn the right click warning off, download pics, turn it back on.

Please help!
    Thanks for the request, it's been asked before, and it's on the list of features we'd love to see.

Thanks again for posting!
  • Options
    TCSTCS Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    It would be nice, in the shopping section, to have true small webfiles for sale digitally -+-60k 72dpi instead of 1MB as smallest digital file for sale.

I apologize if it has already been suggested.

Christine
  • Options
    MizMiz Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Hi,

A feature I would really like to have would be to have more functionality built into the guest password. I use my site to also host a family photo album like many others and I would love it if when my guests signed into the account with the family password, the site would only allow them to upload galleries to subcategories under family category, with the family quick settings that I define locked in.

Other then that, Smugmug is Awesome!

Cheers
    Miz
    [SIZE=-1]MislanPhotography.com

Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood
    - [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Burnham [/SIZE]
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Miz wrote:
    Hi,

A feature I would really like to have would be to have more functionality built into the guest password. I use my site to also host a family photo album like many others and I would love it if when my guests signed into the account with the family password, the site would only allow them to upload galleries to subcategories under family category, with the family quick settings that I define locked in.

Cheers
    Miz

One of the third-party developers was working on an app to allow more fine-grained control for guest uploaders. It was event-specific, allowing say, all the attendees of a particular party to upload their photos to the same album.

I'll pass along your request -- maybe he could modify it up so that people can create galleries within a given category.

--Darryl
  • Options
    iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I'm building something similar to what you're asking, but it won't let guests create galleries. It will, however, let you dictate what gallery a user can upload to.

Shan
    Miz wrote:
    Hi,

Cheers
    Miz
  • Options
    straehlestraehle Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Description for SubCategories
    I may have asked for this before, but I wonder if we could have a description field for Subcategories. Typically (especially for the Nature and Travel categories) I will have a bunch of pictures from a trip or the like and would like to separate them into individual galleries. Basically a Gategory>SubCategory>Gallery Structure. It would be helpful to have an overview at the Subcategory level so that I could introduce the whole trip and then talk about specific parts at the Gallery level.
    There is also not description field at the Category level or I would make each trip a new category and describe it there. I just would like at least one more level at which I could add some description. Now there are only two - Gallery and Image.
    Thanks.
    Gallery: http://straehle.smugmug.com
    Canon 20D
    Canon EF 17-40 f:/4 L
    Canon EF 24 - 105 f:/4 LIS
    Canon EF 70-200 F:/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 24-70 F:2.8L
    Sigma 80 - 400 f:/4/5.6 OS
    Sigma 105 f:/2.8 macro
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Thumbnails and next/prev links to photo sharing pages
    Hi, got an idea for you.

I'd like to see the thumbnail of the image I'm getting a link for on the share page. And having a next and previous image link or even a sort of all thumbs view with the nice click to copy links for a selected size would be quite nice.

You know, for posting lots of piccies here on dgrin without clicking around quite so much :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,257 moderator
    edited May 10, 2008
    Ability to specify size of thumbs used for categories & subcategories pages, plus...
    I made a generic request for larger thumbs on the category/sub-category pages a while back. The current tiny thumbs don't do enough to showcase the photos and allow the viewer a reasonable selection point, an enticement to enter the gallery. But now - what I'd really like is the ability to specify the size of the thumbs. Right now they are 100x100 or 150x150. Changing them to bigger sizes - especially the 100x100 thumbs - would be an improvement, but I'd still like a size larger than 150x150.

Last week I decided that I hated the thumbs enough to do something about it now. Yes, hated is a strong word. But a strong word is needed here... And yes, I am aware that the square thumbs appear larger than the original thumbs - but I don't like square thumbs, so that's not an option for me. 100x100 is way too small, and while I can accept 150x150 I'd like them larger still.

A long time ago I built an html-only page that I used from my navbar to replace the /galleries page. I fought taking that down to the next level because I knew that if I did that I'd have a maintenance requirement since I wouldn't be using the smugmug-generated category pages any more. Last Sunday I finally gave in and converted my site to use html-only pages instead of the standard smug category pages.

I would happily return to the standard pages if I could specify the size of the thumbs on the pages. Yes, you're right - I'm all set for now with my html-only pages, and I've accepted the need to maintain these pages as I add galleries. But I've seen many other folks request larger thumbs too. I believe you would satisfy quite a few people by just changing to 150x150 for all thumbs instead of using 100x100 some of the time. I want the thumbs larger than that though; I'd really like to specify the size myself.

I also suspect that my solution is not as efficient as using the standard thumbs since I am specifying a size that will need to be generated from my photos on the fly. That's a trade-off that I'm willing to accept to get the look I want.

Obviously the standard pages are still there - I'm just not referencing them anywhere, and I've turned off the breatdcrumb so that people don't jump to the standard look. I replaced the breadcrumb with a little bit of navigation in the gallery descriptions (although to get the full breadcrumb capability the navbar "Gallery" entry needs to be used to jump back to the page showing all categories).

Examples: Yes, there are a different number of galleries shown on the "Wandering near home" pages because I've used html to create a sort of sub-categories for the older galleries. And that brings up another request - to show the galleries within a category intermixed with the subcategories. I don't want to show them in separate chunks - instead I want to place the subcats within the categories where they make logical sense.

--- Denise
  • Options
    digitalitiesdigitalities Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Moo Minicards
    Hello Andy et Al.

any plan to add SmugMug logo here?
    http://www.moo.com/uploader/partners.php

the minicards with own pics are a cool idea and it would be great to be able to grab the images directly from SmugMug.

Cheers, Sergio
  • Options
    keith204keith204 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Andy,

I'd love to have a Coupon Codes part of the control panel, so I can set up coupon codes to give out.

For instance, in the control panel I could set up a #, tell it what %age off, or what $'s off an order. I could also specify when it expires, if it expires. (after 1st use, on February 24, 2043, etc).

Then people could input that Coupon Code at checkout, and that would be awesome.

I do some programming work for a part-time job, and my major in college. The code logic behind this doesn't seem too difficult if it's kept simple.
    Keith Kelly - Bolivar, MO

Canon 40D, Canon 20D
    Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
    Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM
    Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 HSM
    Lensbaby 2.0

http://www.w3Bolivar.com
  • Options
    iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    keith204 wrote:
    I do some programming work for a part-time job, and my major in college. The code logic behind this doesn't seem too difficult if it's kept simple.

Overall, the coupon idea sounds great, and I think it'd be a great complimentary feature.

A couple problems with that train of thought on estimating difficulty of the task:

1. Sure, it might be simple for a simple web application, but SmugMug is a distributed, high-availability app, with plenty of caching and other performance tricks, which might make things a bit more complicated.

2. If it is built in a simple manner, it might not cover all the uses that pros might want, and I've yet to see SmugMug roll out a half-ready feature. I'm sure that they'd go all out if they decide to add this feature :D
This discussion has been closed.