SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    jamcgrawjamcgraw Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2008
    Feature Requests - TIFF's, Lightboxes & Custom Digital Download Contracts
    Hey Andy,

Some more feature requests (Pro Requests):

1. Please start supporting TIFF as a file format! All of my photo stock agencies require TIFF's from there contributors. I want to be able to use smugmug as a pro solution but this is blocking me. To escape any problems displaying TIFF in the browser just display them as jpgs. Create a compressed jpg image from the TIFF that represents it as a thumbnail and keep the TIFF on file for downloading purposes as the original file.

2. Lightboxes: I use Digital Railroad.net for many of my pro photography needs and I really like their lightboxes. A lightbox (as you likely know) is a set of images pulled from any gallery while browsing that can be passed between a photographer and buyer. They can be created by either the photographer and pushed to a buyer or created by the buyer and pushed to the photographer.

Quick Example: A photo buyers is doing a article on raptors. The buyer browses to one of your galleries on Moonriver photography and selects 4 images that are deposited in the lightbox via the right click menu. Then the buyer browses to one of my galleries and select 4 images and does the same. Now the buyer sends a generic mail to the photographers asking about availability and pricing given there publishing expectations. The lightbox creates a sub range images of the photographers work that are on topic that they can go over together. The photographer has the added ability to change access rights on the image (lock and unlocking by the photographer) and track downloads once an agreement is made.

I think ligthboxes as a concept would be really simple for smugmug as the lightbox really is a just a gallery. You are just creating a new gallery specific to that client communication. Likewise the account owner can easily create a lightbox of images and send it to a photo buyer without impacting his current gallery struture on his smugmug site. It's simply a focused image template for discussion.

3. Custom Digital Download Contacts - It would be great if Pro Clients could upload their own contracts for digital downloads.

Thanks,
    Jeff McGraw

Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.

Prior Threads:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=71342
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57396
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47572
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40139
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29858
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=23482
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=1349

FRs implemented from the prior thread:

MacDaddy improvements
    Featured Gallery box improvements
    Add holiday cards

When I close the old thread, and start a new one, you can all be certain that the summary of feature requests has been shared with the entire team deal.gif
  • Options
    digitalblissphotographydigitalblissphotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2008
    Support Tiff uploads....please!
    I am in full agreement on this one. Please give us tiff support!

Scott
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    In order:

1) Coupons, packages, gift-cards, etc..
    2) SM Google Analytics integration (to allow for TOTAL tracking of shopping carts, share emails, etc..).
    3) B&W/Metallic paper. Also, upsell opportunities (like, "Add a frame" or "Want it laminated/mounted?" would be nice.. :) )
    4) TIFF/Raw support. I think the suggestion above is a good one.. Have the raw/tiff as the original image only, and create jpg's for the web-view copies.

David
  • Options
    lynnorlynnor Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Sorting gallery listing in dropdown list
    I'm guessing this must have been requested before, but a quick search didn't yield any hits.

When I'm moving photos and have to select a gallery from the dropdown list (and I have several), it is hard for me to find the one I want because they appear to be listed in order of creation? How about alphabetical (or does that make too much sense? ;) )

Another peeve/wish of mine is that I have many family galleries and have opted to sort by year w/ subs of month. I started out labeling all the January galleries (for each year) as January. But of course if I need to move a photo (see above request) I have 3 or 4 "January" galleries and no real way of knowing which "January" I am selecting. I got around this by renaming all of them as "January yy". So this leads to a request of perhaps other methods of selecting where photos are moved...perhaps somehow indicating the category of each gallery? (maybe in dropdown list categories [alphabetically] and then under each category, indent 2-3 spaces and list each gallery [alphabetically]?
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    lynnor wrote:
    I'm guessing this must have been requested before, but a quick search didn't yield any hits.

When I'm moving photos and have to select a gallery from the dropdown list (and I have several), it is hard for me to find the one I want because they appear to be listed in order of creation? How about alphabetical (or does that make too much sense? ;) )

Another peeve/wish of mine is that I have many family galleries and have opted to sort by year w/ subs of month. I started out labeling all the January galleries (for each year) as January. But of course if I need to move a photo (see above request) I have 3 or 4 "January" galleries and no real way of knowing which "January" I am selecting. I got around this by renaming all of them as "January yy". So this leads to a request of perhaps other methods of selecting where photos are moved...perhaps somehow indicating the category of each gallery? (maybe in dropdown list categories [alphabetically] and then under each category, indent 2-3 spaces and list each gallery [alphabetically]?
    A trick I've learned is open the "move to" gallery and add an x in front of the
    gallery name. Then on move page hit x and it'll jump to the gallery
    in the dropdown. After move is completed the "move to" page will open, edit the gallery
    name and remove the x.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Coupons/Package Deals - How hard is this, really? I want to be able to create coupons either for discount (take up to a certain amount off a photo, or number of photos, up to the actual processing fee) or free photos (I would have to pay the processing fees upfront obviously, and shipping could be pushed to the buyer) that I can give out to clients, or at events. This should be relatively easy, as you could create a coupon table with valid coupon numbers and modifiers, per SmugMug account. And the same with package deals (package table that would create a package with empty slots in the shopping cart, preventing the order to be submitted untill the slots were full).

Custom Items -
    This may be more difficult, as it would require some networking, insurance, etc. I want to be able to create a custom "Item" represented by the image in my gallery, set the price of that "Item," and allow the buyer to purchase that "Item" that I would then send to them. If this requires too much from the SmugMug end, you could integrate it with PayPal (you can not sell a custom Item, or purchase a custom Item without a PayPal account [as they has insurance, shipping labels and such]). Honestly though, I don't see how difficult it would be to pull off... I know I can do this using my PayPal account and a button in the description somewhere, but that's a cop-out. I pay a good bit of money to maintain the professional look that SmugMug offers. I could pay less other places...

Custom Items are less important, as you offer so many products, it is a cold day that I can't find something photographic to sell (besides panoramas, which you need to offer). But coupons and packages may very well pull me to the dark, ZENfull side...
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    beline wrote:
    Custom Items - This may be more difficult
    Actually, you can do Custom Items now. True, you can't add it to the cart, BUT, I've posted ways to use Google and Paypal's carts to create your own items. I do it myself for my ICC Profile service. You can order a printer profile directly from my site :)http://www.wolfsnap.com/color

Also, I can create packages (sort of) by using the same techniques. I can even inject the image # into the order form automatically. Again, it's not specifically part of the shopping cart, but, it can be done. (you can see an example here: http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/3869595_k8cSx ).

David
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Actually, you can do Custom Items now. True, you can't add it to the cart, BUT, I've posted ways to use Google and Paypal's carts to create your own items. I do it myself for my ICC Profile service. You can order a printer profile directly from my site :)http://www.wolfsnap.com/color

Also, I can create packages (sort of) by using the same techniques. I can even inject the image # into the order form automatically. Again, it's not specifically part of the shopping cart, but, it can be done. (you can see an example here: http://www.wolfsnap.com/gallery/3869595_k8cSx ).

David

I know it's "possible," and I am sick of hearing that as a cop-out. You know what else is possible? Gallery2 on my own domain, coupled with Google and PayPal, using my own fulfillment services and a Drobo (or similar) at a friend's house for back-up. That way I could get all the features I ever wanted, for free (as I own all that stuff anyway).

As for packages, you've missed the point. I mean a package deal, purchase this this and this, and pay less than if buying them all separate. Or coupons that I could hand to a portrait customer that would allow her to order a a package of six head shots (different shots, different sizes) and only pay shipping (as I pay the rest while printing the coupon).

But thats not the point.

I pay for Pro Service with a good company. So, although anything is technically possible if I wanted to jury rig it together, I would like to request Coupons, Packages, and Self-Fulfillment options, fully integrated into the wonderful service I pay good money for. Not duct-taped to the side. I can go to Zenfolio to get these features for less money, but I'd like my extra dollars to go towards these features on SmugMug. Is that too much to ask?

Thank you.

PS: I am sorry if this all came about a bit harsh, but I have put in requests for these features for the past year, and each time I do, they get brushed to the side with an "it's possible if you..." That's not acceptable.
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    Image title input box.... please
    It would be nice if there was a photo title input box available for each photo.
    Right now, there's only a description and keyword input boxes.

This might also help uniquely identify each photo for buyers. I did notice some pros creating their own / custom title and info box under their images but, that's something that should be supplied to begin with (IMHO) with an easy click of a mouse in customization. As in......

There should be a title input box when you click on edit descriptions / keywords

And, there shoud be this in the customization panel for each gallery

Show photo title box Yes No
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2008
    It's only been a year!
    I agree 1000% with the comments you are making below...and I've said them myself a year ago, when I first joined Smugmug. I have the same need, package up different sized photos with different photos in the package, priced lower than if purchased individually. Coupons are icing on the cake for me, but I can definately see why you'd want them...and I'd use them if I had them.

Hey...it's only been a year...why complain? headscratch.gif
    beline wrote:
    I know it's "possible," and I am sick of hearing that as a cop-out. You know what else is possible? Gallery2 on my own domain, coupled with Google and PayPal, using my own fulfillment services and a Drobo (or similar) at a friend's house for back-up. That way I could get all the features I ever wanted, for free (as I own all that stuff anyway).

As for packages, you've missed the point. I mean a package deal, purchase this this and this, and pay less than if buying them all separate. Or coupons that I could hand to a portrait customer that would allow her to order a a package of six head shots (different shots, different sizes) and only pay shipping (as I pay the rest while printing the coupon).

But thats not the point.

I pay for Pro Service with a good company. So, although anything is technically possible if I wanted to jury rig it together, I would like to request Coupons, Packages, and Self-Fulfillment options, fully integrated into the wonderful service I pay good money for. Not duct-taped to the side. I can go to Zenfolio to get these features for less money, but I'd like my extra dollars to go towards these features on SmugMug. Is that too much to ask?

Thank you.

PS: I am sorry if this all came about a bit harsh, but I have put in requests for these features for the past year, and each time I do, they get brushed to the side with an "it's possible if you..." That's not acceptable.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    I wouldn't...
    I wouldn't complain if I had got a "we're looking into it," "it's being worked on," or at least got on a list.

But every time I ask about it I get the same response "you know, it is posible if..."

I can't stand that.

Anyway, moving on:

Add Coupons, Package Deals, and Fulfillment to the list Andy.
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
  • Options
    AwesomeAwesome Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 2, 2008
    New feature to answer the public/private/password/keyword
    Hi,

I have just arrived in Houston, TX, got a new camera, already took some pictures and now is the time to get a gallery to share everything (even the old photos still needing to be organized in the hard drive).

So after opening accounts in flickr and picasa and not finding what i was looking for... i finally got very interested by your site and got amazed by your taking so much care of your users.iloveyou.gif

That's why I post this message (in advance sorry for my english, I am a foreigner)

I have been thinking about this whole story of protecting your pictures.

As u can understand by now, I belong to the otherwise users of flickr that got here because u were so nice with us, u provide unlimited storage and u provide customization of many stuffs among other things (to be distinguished from the other portion of users who are photographers and use your site for work). The needs are thus somewhat different

Usually it would work like that.
    We go in holidays and shoot a lot of pics that can be divided as such:

- Landscape pictures: Pictures of landscape, buildings, close-ups and "artistic attempts".... that we would like to share to everyone

- Friends pictures: we have many pictures of parties, birthdays, personal stuff

- Family pictures: more intimate than friends pictures:

- Bonus Friends Circle Pictures 1,2,3...: This would be the pictures of your friends you would not want others than one specific friend circle to see (and specially not the family population to see). It can be because the friend Bob do some crazy things that should only make laugh those attending and not all your friends who still do not know Bob, well I hope u understand the idea.

In a nutshell, u have different pictures for different categories of people and the idea I was thinking about is to get different password access for the different categories. Depending on the password you enter, different pictures can be viewed and different pictures are hidden.
    In fact, it would generalize the "hide" function reserved to the owner of the account and combine it to the site-wide password protection.

To make it clear, here is how I would see it (I do not know what is realistic in terms of IT so it is up to u to tell me if I have been smoking too much...)

Anybody entering your hompage would see all the public pictures (that is to say the landscape pictures)

But there would be a box (which could be shown or hidden depending if the owner wants to activate this service: you would juste have to decide 'show' in 'fun stuff u can add to your homepage' in your control panel) where you would enter a password.

Your friends would enter the password u gave to them (as they are doing today when you have chosen for a site-wide protection), and the system would show all the landscape pictures + all the friends pictures (applying the technology that makes the system show the owner all the hidden pictures)

Your family would enter the password u gave to them and the system would show all the landscape pictures + all the family pictures + all the friends pictures (or not, but that is a detail)

I hope that by now you understand the idea.
    If you want to continue this logic to the extreme, the owner could configure a different password per person he invites to see his smugnug pages....... but that is really not what I am thinking about as I would see that as a great pain in the neck for u (smugmug) and us (the owners... or wannabeowners as it is only my second trial day)

That's why I came up with the bonus "friends circle" idea to take care of that friend Bob. You could have different friendscircle passwords (let's say limited to 5) and when entered would show landscape (or not)+ friends pictures (or not) and those photos you did not want your mum or other friends to see. Each password with its own configuration.
    To be honest this is only developing the idea further and should not divert you (smugmug) from the core concept.

thumb.gif What are the main advantages of all this:

- Not having to separate family pictures and landscape pictures in 2 different galleries. Pictures are displayed depending on the password and thus the category of people viewing pictures.
    Today, either you protect your whole gallery "Golden Gate" to be safe or you put the Golden Gate pictures in a public gallery and keep your pics of "family at the golden gate" in a protected gallery.

- Being able to use the keywords while protecting parts of your photos.
    When someone enters your gallery, he is recognized by the system as unknown or as family or as friend. Thus, the system is not embroiled with what has been the problem as of today impeding the use of keywords in protected galleries which is if the user is not in the unlisted gallery he cannot get access to the keywords of this gallery.

thumb.gif What does it imply for Smugmug:

- allowing people to configure things at the photo level and not gallery level
    - being able to make the system show and hide pictures depending on the password entered
    - being able to change the system to apply these settings while still keeping the older system in place so that everybody is happy.
    - being able to enjoy the calm as nobody harasses you anymore about the keyword/protection.

headscratch.gif If you do not do something, we are stuck with these options today:
    - protecting all the site to be able to use keywords and cool stuff (otherwise the 20% of pictures we do not want to share with the whole planet are not taken into account in the keywords while they are the reasons of 80% of the traffic of our friends)
    - being forced to put in 2 galleries pictures that should be in the same one (if we really want to share the landscape/artistic pictures making 80% of our total number of pictures)

I hope the main ideas of my message get to you and that you can give a positive response to all of this.
    I am sorry to look like wanting to mess all your system up and down, it is just that I have simple (maybe not so simple in IT words) and standard needs that I think many of your users are having too that are still not adressed.

Those needs are:
    -unlimited or near-unlimited storage
    -nice appearance (generally through some customization available)
    -nice features such as keyword, popularity, comments...
    -protection for pictures through password (instead of through specific complicated website adress as done by flickr for instance) and by category of person (with those persons identified as belonging to a category by the simple fact of entering a specific password, instead of having to join as done by flickr for instance)

Smugmug is really the best for what I have seen and I really want to join your community of users but there is still this last need listed above that I would like to be adressed and that made me choose not to pick flickr & associates.

Thank you very much for having read until this last sentence ;), I hope to be shorter in the next ones.... :D

David.

Gotcha: if you want somekind of exit strategy, let me know if my needs are adressed somewhere else... It would be sad as smugmug seems really cool but that way, you will have get rid of one harasser..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    beline wrote:
    PS: I am sorry if this all came about a bit harsh, but I have put in requests for these features for the past year, and each time I do, they get brushed to the side

Trust me, they are not brushed to the side by anyone at SmugMug. It's extremely important to us.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Awesome wrote:

Thank you very much for having read until this last sentence ;), I hope to be shorter in the next ones.... :D

David.

Thanks David, for the feature request and the details. Great stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    beline wrote:
    Anyway, moving on:

Add Coupons, Package Deals, and Fulfillment to the list Andy.
    I'm terribly sorry if I've not answered you personally on this one. But it's been brought up by many and I've answered it many, many times. It's terribly important to us, we plan on having them. I'm sorry we don't have them already. Yeah it's been a long time.
  • Options
    lifelife Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 3, 2008
    Request for "smart albums"
    (Copied from http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=793453&postcount=5)
    mpdehaan wrote:
    though if you could construct "smart albums" based on tags (and rearrange photos in those albums), though would be extremely impressive.
    I smuggled all my photos to SmugMug last night and I'm already missing this feature.

On flickr, I have my photos grouped in sets by events (birthdays, etc). I then create virtual sets based on tags to crosscut over these events. Mostly to create a set per friend, so that I have a set called "Photos of Fred" that contains all photos that are tagged "fred".

This does not seem to seem to be possible with SmugMug?
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Virtually "impossible".
    life wrote:
    (Copied from http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=793453&postcount=5)

I smuggled all my photos to SmugMug last night and I'm already missing this feature.

On flickr, I have my photos grouped in sets by events (birthdays, etc). I then create virtual sets based on tags to crosscut over these events. Mostly to create a set per friend, so that I have a set called "Photos of Fred" that contains all photos that are tagged "fred".

This does not seem to seem to be possible with SmugMug?

In the SmugMug world, the common user-terminology for what you are requesting is "Virtual Galleries", and as you have already discovered, virtual galleries are virtually impossible to find!:D

You will find many references to them in many different threads within these Dgrin archives, but alas, you will not find the capability you seek to be readily available (there are some "workarounds" that sorta get you there, but you have to be a PhD in web-site creativity to accomplish them).

As a Smugger for 2 years now, I am 100% confident we will eventually see virutal galleries as a standard feature. You are new here, so I'll caution" you ahead of time not to ask IF it will happen, let alone WHEN it will happen...lest you be smacked** by the policy committee!

**...just kidding. You'll find SmugMug's support 2nd to none, even though I have to admit some frustration that the recurring request(s) for virtual gallery capability have yet to float to the top of the feature requests priority pile. Sigh!!

Seriously, welcome to SmugMug (and Dgrin)...I doubt you'll be sorry you joined.
  • Options
    AwesomeAwesome Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 4, 2008
    A disturbing feature
    Hi,

There is a really simple feature that would be great to change.
    When you put a site-wide protection password and even when you login, there is a box allowing to not be remembered on the computer.

It says: "I'm using a public computer, don't save this password."

So my request is pretty simple, can't you turn this sentence the other way, stating: "This is a trusted computer, please remember me the next visit"

Why am I asking this ?

1/ Every other site do it like that. For example, you login in yahoo, the box says "keep me signed in". Even this forum does it, proposing "remember me"
    And so if every other site (or the vast majority of them) do it like that, you are accustomed to it and usually would not check it on a public computer because you (or any of the viewer of your protected smugmug) are accustomed to check it only at your place.

2/ If you happen to forget to check the box, usually no big deal, but as with the system today, too bad for you, you are remembered.

3/ Ok I understand it can be a pain in the neck to have to put your password each time, so well maybe the first time, you will not check the box but then you will know and do it the first time (as you learnt to do using the other websites like yahoo and this forum)

4/ As with the system today, if your viewers do not check the box while looking at your smugmug in a public library, in a cybercoffee, at work or in a university facility... well too bad for you ne_nau.gif

The important thing is really for a site-wide protection. You give a unique password to all your friends and now you have at least 70 guys living their lives in different places and each time they happen to look at your smumug, not giving a damn to this box, they make more and more useless your password.

I find this feature really disturbing and thus would just like to see it turned the regular way, more secure and as convenient as the one in place (again, if you want to be remembered you just have to check a box)
  • Options
    psrpsr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2008
    Bulk Settings
    I'd like a way where I can make galleries in a category or subcategory visible or private with a single click as opposed to having to enter each gallery and configure it? It gets a little tedious when there's more than a couple of galleries that have to be changed.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2008
    In the "Add Comment" for a gallery (for example) there is a box for "Name" and "Link". It would be nice if they said something like "Your Name" and "Your Website". Also, it is not clear if the "Link" has to include the "http://" or not. Perhaps "Link" should be "Your Website: http://", or at least autofilling the "HTTP://" part.

The Foil Spammer section: Can you remove that? I read that some sites are hidding (using CSS) a text entry dialog box. Spambots see it and will fill it in (and Smugmug can promptly trash it). Users, however, never see the hidden box and wouldn't fill it in.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2008
    One thing I think that would be totally neat to get for the Pro accounts, is an ability to have a watermark that shows up on the finished product. Something like a signature or a "Photo by ..." in a small tasteful watermark on the bottom right corner. I know I can do it myself, but, since a client can order and re-crop an image, I don't always know ahead of time where to put the signature. If SM did it programmatically, I could assign a watermark to an image, and the relative location (bottom right), and it would be added at the right place. This could also be used to create borders and other neat photo effects. "Centered" watermarks could create a border around the outside of the image, etc..

I can't even see that as being too hard to do; you guys are (obviously) using imagemagick to do the watermarks already, you're just adding another step to the watermarking on ordering. And, you already have the logic for handling watermarks and watermark locations. It would basically need some copy/paste plus a bit of extra logic and work.

Just a thought
    David
  • Options
    RYANPHOTORYANPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    tiny suggestion
    First of all, I love the Smugmug experience!
    Really glad to be a part of it all.

I have one wee suggestion....in the THEMES section of our websites, is it possible Smugmug could do a St. Patrick's Day (and/or a Irish) based theme??

~sláinte
    Joe Ryan

ryanphotos.smugmug.com
    www.gratefuljoe.com
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Feature requests: referral codes
    I am new to this, so this may be a bad idea.

I take a high school sr picture.

they send it to all their friends via email, facebook,etc

They include a code that gets their friends a discount if they use me, and them some free product on smugmug. If they referred enough friends, they could get all their pics free

Is this possible?
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I am new to this, so this may be a bad idea.

I take a high school sr picture.

they send it to all their friends via email, facebook,etc

They include a code that gets their friends a discount if they use me, and them some free product on smugmug. If they referred enough friends, they could get all their pics free

Is this possible?
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the feature request!

I have done some reading on word of mouth marketing and this is right out of the text book. Not too dissimilar to what you do in allowing us to put a code when we send out pics.
  • Options
    SkippyFlipjackSkippyFlipjack Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 9, 2008
    Suggestion: highlighting hidden images?
    One thing I'd find helpful, if it's not already available, is some sort of notation of hidden images on the thumbnails. In other words, when I upload a bunch of images but only make some available in the public gallery, it would be nice to see at a glance which are hidden instead of having to click on each one to see if the "hidden" box is checked. Maybe a tiny circle-with-a-line-through-it watermark, or just a different-colored border.

I think the intent may be to keep people from uploading their entire photo shoot when only a fraction will be on public view -- it's worked on me! :) -- but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks for listening!
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2008
    One thing I'd find helpful, if it's not already available, is some sort of notation of hidden images on the thumbnails. In other words, when I upload a bunch of images but only make some available in the public gallery, it would be nice to see at a glance which are hidden instead of having to click on each one to see if the "hidden" box is checked. Maybe a tiny circle-with-a-line-through-it watermark, or just a different-colored border.

I think the intent may be to keep people from uploading their entire photo shoot when only a fraction will be on public view -- it's worked on me! :) -- but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Thanks for listening!

15524779-Ti.gif ..with the suggestion to make it clear (when logged-in) which images are "there", but hidden. thumb.gif
  • Options
    vaio2006vaio2006 Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited April 10, 2008
    Couldn't really find this via search, so I'm going to make a request:

More "levels" of users... the guest feature is great, but I would like another "user level" (alittle higher then guest) which allows for a sub-admin type of level.

Currently it appears that "guests" can't customize (and for some users thats a very good thing) but in our setting it would be great to have SOME people have access to the editing of pages (looks and feel)
    The reason I am hesitant of giving them the main user password is because they may screw up the domain name stuff and the credit card stuff...
  • Options
    dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    One thing I think that would be totally neat to get for the Pro accounts, is an ability to have a watermark that shows up on the finished product. Something like a signature or a "Photo by ..." in a small tasteful watermark on the bottom right corner. I know I can do it myself, but, since a client can order and re-crop an image, I don't always know ahead of time where to put the signature. If SM did it programmatically, I could assign a watermark to an image, and the relative location (bottom right), and it would be added at the right place. This could also be used to create borders and other neat photo effects. "Centered" watermarks could create a border around the outside of the image, etc.

thumb.gif

I use the watermarking feature to place commemorative titles on event pictures (e.g. races). Many customers would like their prints to include these titles. I've searched for a way to do this and could not find anything. It would be great if sm had an option for customers to choose if they want the watermark on their prints.
  • Options
    DmitrySDmitryS Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    1. "New" tag to a gallery, that will allow user to see what galleries were recently updated.
    2. Several, not one, featured photo for a gallery.

Also I noticed that arranging subgalleries withing a gallery does not work reliably. When gallery is sorted by position, it takes several attempts to put a newly created subgallery from the last place first. For that matter I find it's strange that new subgalleis are by default appended to the end of the list, not to the top
This discussion has been closed.