Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    dirtbikejunkiedirtbikejunkie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    DmitryS wrote:
    Also I noticed that arranging subgalleries withing a gallery does not work reliably. When gallery is sorted by position, it takes several attempts to put a newly created subgallery from the last place first.

I have had this problem as well
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2008
    Private gallery keywords.
    It's been discussed several times (probably more than I am aware of) about searching keywords in protected galleries. I understand why it is set up like it is.

However a solution was suggested here reply #12
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79889&page=2

That would enable our customers who have already entered a password to enter a gallery ability to search keywords inside that gallery.

Again, just to be clear on why I ask for this; My customers enter a gallery with multiple pictures of 12 kids on a baseball team. I've grouped them by photo taken date not by name. This keeps the new shots on top. So they have to sort through several pages to find their kids shots.

Wouldn't it be nice for them to enter the password then do a keyword search for their kid and have every photo right there?

It also makes it easier for them to choose what shots they want to purchase since they are right next to one another rather than page 2 and page 6.

I'd appreciate some consideration on this or perhaps a reason why we can't have this.

Thanks,
    Zack
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    zack75144zack75144 Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.

bump
    Zack www.zackjonesphotography.net
    EOS 7D, Zeiss 50mm f/1.4, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 200mm f/2.8L II, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF 1.4 Ext II, 430EX, ST-E2, Tamrac Velocity 10X & Expeditioner 7 Bags.
  • Options
    TomOwenTomOwen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Passowrd Protect Catagories and Sub-Catagories
    Have you thought of Password protecting Catagories and Sub-Cats? I know I can protect the entire site. or I can protect specific galleries... But I'ld like to have a catagory like "Family" and just lock it, and it's nested sub-cats and galleries. Or a catagory called "Hiking" and lock doen subcatagories like "Secret trails" or something? Thoughts? Roadmap? Timing? Thanks, Tom
  • Options
    tdcoverttdcovert Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 16, 2008
    Customization request
    Sometimes, not often, I need to download a file from a protected gallery (protected against right click/download) for use in a second project. I am not able to get to the original file on my primary server for whatever reason and the jpg will do. To undo the download protection I must unprotect the entire gallery, download the file and then reset security. Can this be changed for logged in owners of the site? You can edit everything as the owner, but cannot download the photo unless you jump through hoops.

Thanks!
  • Options
    eyeDutcheyeDutch Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Stats ordering
    Hi there, I was wondering if it's possible to have some ordering features on the stats page with all the graphs. Right now it seems kind of random, or at least I can't find any logic to it, not by name, not by number of views.

Paul
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited April 16, 2008
    I'd love to see these stats available in the same type of display that is currently used for add photos.

But for now - from what I can tell from looking at my stats, they are arranged by category and within category by gallery - in the same order that you see the categories on the categories page and then within each category.

For example, the first category that is shown on my "galleries page" is my Wandering near home category. Those are the first galleries in my stats list, shown in the order in which the galleries live in the category.

--- Denise
  • Options
    NWMtnGuyNWMtnGuy Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    Changing names of STYLES
    A couple of requests regarding layout styles (i.e. SmugMug, Traditional, All Thumbs, Journal, etc.):

1. Changing Style Names:

Can you give us the ability to change the names of layout styles? One of the most common comments I get from visitors to my site is that they are confused by what "SmugMug Style" means. I appreciate the desire to embed a little extra branding into each page, but "SmugMug" is not a label that most people will intuitively associate with a type of page layout. It would make a lot more sense if visitors were to see a layout option with a name like "Lightbox".

2. Liimiting Style Choices:

Can you make it possible to limit which styles are available for a particular gallery? Right now it appears to be an option of letting visitors choose from ALL the layouts or not letting them choose at all. For example, it might make a lot of sense to let a visitor choose "SmugMug" or "Traditional" while viewing a particular gallery, but not "Critique".

Thanks for listening!
    Dale
  • Options
    raulpeschraulpesch Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2008
    I already love Smugmug but here are some features requests which would make Smugmug perfect for me:

BROWSING
    - Pre-caching of photo's for faster/instant photo browsing
    - Ability to show # hits/clicks with each photo
    - Flash or Silverlight video playback (like Youtube where the video starts playing when you press the play button, instead of launching a seperate playback window)
    - Dynamic slideshow (like Phanfare or Windows Media Center) where the picture is slowly zoomed in or out (this simple feature makes it much more appealing to view slideshows)
    - Ability to play music with a slideshow
    - Drop down menu in the breadcrumb bar (for direct access to albums)
    - Password protected photos (instead of galleries only)
    - Virtual galleries (ability to tag photos so that they can belong to multiple virtual galleries without having to copy them)
    - More appealing (polished) look and feel
    - Option to default to a fixed feature photo for all albums (eg. 1st pic). Currently, the random feature photo per gallery gives the perception of Smugmug being slow because it takes a long time to build a page with many galleries.
    - A photo manager that automatically syncs a local folder hierarchy with Smugmug (Phanfare has a nice tool to manage and automatically upload/download/sync photos & folders)

CONTROL PANEL
    - Redesigned control panel (could be easier accessible/better organized) and faster access to the control panel (not having to wait or do an extra click before getting redirected)
    - Ability to delete galleries without them being moved to the 'Other' category (or an option to batch delete galleries instead of having to delete them 1-by-1 from the 'other' category)
    - Easier customization features. Eg. option to add basic customization (eg. banners/footers/flash slideshow/drop down menus) from the control panel instead of using CSS)
    - "What's new" feature which can be placed on the homepage showing new galleries/photos (currently you need a hack to get this)
    - "Popular galleries" or "popular photos" feature based on # of hits instead of using PhotoRank
    - Ability for friends/family to register at Smugmug without having to subscribe (so that security features can be applied without forcing the whole family to subscribe to Smugmug to view protected pics)
    - Automatic saving of old CSS settings (so users can fall back to an earlier version if they screwed up)
    - FTP upload of categories/galleries/photos
    - Batch Geotagging
    - Easy way to convert all old thumbnails to square thumbnails
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    tdcovert wrote:
    Sometimes, not often, I need to download a file from a protected gallery (protected against right click/download) for use in a second project. I am not able to get to the original file on my primary server for whatever reason and the jpg will do. To undo the download protection I must unprotect the entire gallery, download the file and then reset security. Can this be changed for logged in owners of the site? You can edit everything as the owner, but cannot download the photo unless you jump through hoops.

Thanks!
    Not a solution but a work-around.
    Just put something in password while you're doing this, them remove when done.:D
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    badaeibadaei Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2008
    Password Protected Categories!
    First, thanks for this fantastic service.

My #1 request would be fore password protected categories.

Other requests include password protected sub-categories and the ability to created nested sub-categories or perhaps just one more level--like "sets" or something like that.
  • Options
    eyeDutcheyeDutch Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    But for now - from what I can tell from looking at my stats, they are arranged by category and within category by gallery - in the same order that you see the categories on the categories page and then within each category.

This is unscalable once you get beyond say, 20 galleries. It shouldn't be very hard to implement some ordering options, right? I also would like to see a more condensed overview of the graphs, rather than at most 4 gallery graphs taking up the entire browser window. I find it difficult right now to see where I am doing well and where not.

I would also love to see a lot more statistics in general, like HTTP referrers and search engine keyword searches. I use this for my own website server: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/ and it may give the Smugmug developers some ideas of what sort of other stuff to extract from the server logs.

Paul
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    eyeDutch wrote:

This is unscalable once you get beyond say, 20 galleries. It shouldn't be very hard to implement some ordering options, right? I also would like to see a more condensed overview of the graphs, rather than at most 4 gallery graphs taking up the entire browser window. I find it difficult right now to see where I am doing well and where not.

I would also love to see a lot more statistics in general, like HTTP referrers and search engine keyword searches. I use this for my own website server: http://awstats.sourceforge.net/ and it may give the Smugmug developers some ideas of what sort of other stuff to extract from the server logs.

Paul
    Thanks for the feature requests!
  • Options
    PeterLyonsPeterLyons Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    Okay, I'll admit that I haven't read all 29 pages of this forum! Maybe this has come up.

One thing I'd love to see would be an uploader for replacement images that can be pointed to a folder with images for printing. The uploader then needs to be smart enough to recognize the same (or similar) filename, and upload all replacement photos in bulk. I'd be happy to help manually here--pointing each file to its replacement.

Why not just the same filename? Well, in my case, when I upload the gallery the first time, I have my standard YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS_XXXX_lyonsimaging filename. If a client orders a print, I upload a replacement using "print" instead of "lyonsimaging". Then if I get another order for the same shot, I can see it's already set to go--no dust spots, horizon level, color and contrast good, etc. Anyway, the whole replacing photos one-at-a-time thing is a time-consuming process that I'd love to see changed.

Al that said, I love SmugMug! So... thanks for everything.
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    I'd love a way to "reset" all the gallery/category/sub-cat themes to "Default". Kinda like an over-ride "set default themes, AND force all themes to default"...

Would be nice..

David
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    raulpesch wrote:

CONTROL PANEL
    - Ability for friends/family to register at Smugmug without having to subscribe (so that security features can be applied without forcing the whole family to subscribe to Smugmug to view protected pics)

I like "rualpesch's" suggestion. A variation I thought of (no idea how to actually do it, though) would be to somehow allow a SmugMug user's email-invitee address book substitute for using a password.

In other words, if I send an email invitation to view a particular gallery to a number of invitees using my smugmug address book, it's obvious I want the invitees to be able to see the gallery (so why force them to additionally enter a password.)

This would set the stage for being able to "password-protect" all my galleries without actually requiring "welcome" guests (those to whom I email invite) to know, or enter, a password because the SmugWizards will have figured out how to manage the "permitted to view" permissions (based on the address book and the gallery-specific invitees) in the background.

Added bonus: I get the benefit of "private" galleries (even though they are technically still "public") without the penalty of losing keyword functionality that comes with actually making galleries "private", and without forcing wanted visitors to either "register" or use a password.

Is this do-able/plausible/worthy of consideration, do ya think? (or maybe just wishful musings?)
  • Options
    Robert BarnettRobert Barnett Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Geotagging Feature Request
    Hello,

Since the geo map for geotagging photos can get very cluttered very quickly simply having it on the main page showing pins for all photos with geo-coordinates I would like to see SmugMug allow the maps inside of each collection.

This would allow each map to only show the images in that gallery making the map a little easier to deal with.

After looking at Fliker it seems that Geotagging support on SmugMug is quite primative. One you click on a green smuggy pin the larger map that you are taken too is ok, but I wish the little talky ballon showed a larger version of the image. I also wish it would change images as you moused over the pins. Having to click the pin and then be taken in to the gallery that shows not only the image you clicked on, but all of the others in that gallery seems little messy.

Robert
  • Options
    Robert BarnettRobert Barnett Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2008
    Feature Request
    I don't know how many people photograph trips like I do. However, since my mom is unable to travel much since she uses a walker I tend to photograph places and things like I am shooting a documentary. This means lot of photographs.

I woud like to see something offered by SmugMug that would allow a user to create something like a virtual tour. Besides allowing the display of photos, I would like to be able to show GPS routs with clickable pins for images (currently you see the pins but not the GPS route, if I could upload a GPX file to go with the geotagged photos and have that used to show the route that would be great.) I would also like to be able to add a much larger amount of text to each photo along with some basic formatting (text size for headlines and sub heads, bold, italic, color, etc.). I would also, like to able to add non photo images to these virtual tours like maps and things like that.

What I would like to see is a gallery option that allowed me to create a virtual tour of a place or trip.

Robert
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2008
    Hello,

Since the geo map for geotagging photos can get very cluttered very quickly simply having it on the main page showing pins for all photos with geo-coordinates I would like to see SmugMug allow the maps inside of each collection.

This would allow each map to only show the images in that gallery making the map a little easier to deal with.

After looking at Fliker it seems that Geotagging support on SmugMug is quite primative. One you click on a green smuggy pin the larger map that you are taken too is ok, but I wish the little talky ballon showed a larger version of the image. I also wish it would change images as you moused over the pins. Having to click the pin and then be taken in to the gallery that shows not only the image you clicked on, but all of the others in that gallery seems little messy.

Robert
    Thanks for the FR!
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I had a couple of features that I was wondering what the current status of the requests was. If this is the wrong thread to do this in, or if it needs a new thread please feel free!

1) Virtual Galleries - I realize this has been requested for a very long time, but I was wondering if there was any further updates on this. The ability to upload a picture one time to a main gallery category and then have that photo displayed in numerous other Virtual galleries would be fantastic! (and yes, I know all about all of the workarounds, they just aren't that streamlined and are kind of a PITA IMHO)

2) Multiple Crops - This would probably be a Pro feature only. What I would like to be able to do is upload a photo at it's full resolution without any cropping. Then for that photo I could select what print sizes I want. Then for each of those print sizes I could choose what crop I wanted to use. Then if a customer chooses to buy that photo, they select the size they want, and then the crop that I chose is automatically used for that item. If the customer wanted a second copy of a different size then the crop for that size would be used for the second one. If this were used then I coudl have the option of turning off the crop ability for customers, since I would know that any size they selected would be correct. This could even apply for products like mugs and T-Shirts. So basically any item that I made available for purchase for a particular photo could have a particular crop associated with it for that photo.

Ok, well that is it for now. Sorry if these have already been requested, I have just never formally put these into writing, and wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks!
  • Options
    thefireguythefireguy Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 21, 2008
    I think it'd be great to be able to take the exif data, and create a 'keywords' so to say page for that....It could get the body and focal length off of it, and if you wanted to tag it with a specific lens you would have that ability as well. I think this would be very helpful for people looking to buy specific lenses/bodies.

PBase.com has this:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras

and you can narrow it down to specific lenses/bodies, for example a canon 500L:
    http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_500_4is
    -Brian Sullivan
    TheFireGuysPhotos.com
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Feature request--cool flash cover page
    it would be nice to be able to have a selection of really cool flash based templetes that could be used as the flash page for our pro site. From there, links to various pages could direct the customer to different places.
  • Options
    1129011290 Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Even though I am just on a trial account and really should not complain, this is the one item that bugs me.

I understand that the "vanity URL" is not available in the standard membership but I would really like to see the ability to make a "vanity style URL" instead of the L
    O
    N
    G alphanumeric URL that is created for a gallery without A. having a power user account and B. having to only be able to create one with "linking".

URL's from both sites for the same picture group:

PBase - http://www.pbase.com/11290/openingday

SmugMug - http://11290.smugmug.com/gallery/4768006_SmRAy#282809182_kHBG3 (It's actually longer than what shows up here in this post)

I'd never be able to remember the SmugMug URL if someone asked me for it while out some day and not sure if the restaurant would give me enough napkins to write it on if I could remember. Laughing.gif

Don't understand why if PBase can do this without any effort SmugMug can't also. All things considered, I do like SmugMug and may set up an account.

Just my $.19 ($.02 adjusted for inflation)
  • Options
    RTMillerRTMiller Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    My request is that EXIF data remains in all pictures regardless of size.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=91703
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    RTMiller wrote:
    My request is that EXIF data remains in all pictures regardless of size.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=91703
    Thanks - at the present time, we don't do it so that the images and pages load fast thumb.gif

But thank you for the request!
  • Options
    pnd1pnd1 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Slide show interval adjustments?
    I am new to smugmug, and used its slide show feature for the first time today. It is very impressive, but I felt that it took much too long to go from one image to the next (about ten to twelve seconds). I think that smugmug members should have some degree of control over the time that each image is shown. For example, I would be much happier if viewers could simply sit back and look at my 109 image gallery in less than ten minutes (five seconds a slide) instead of twenty minutes at the present default rate of ten seconds a slide. I hope that we will be able to adjust the intervals of our own slide shows, as well as the intervals of the slideshows we watch from other members.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Phil
    pnd1.smugmug.com
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Allow choice of color default (auto vs true) for Power accounts
    I recently printed some test prints with auto vs true color and was a bit disappointed. While I've seen auto work well for a large number of photos, the following print was much better with true color:
    http://swinton.smugmug.com/gallery/4582886_qotmy#270199447_vWsxd

The lips on the babies were washed-out and looked unnatural with the auto-color version. Yes, I did color-manage these photos and they are ideal candidates for true-color and those prints were spectacular. The problem is that the default cannot be changed since it's not a Pro account. I do have a pro account but don't put my family photos there. I have lots of family members that like to order prints and most of them have no clue regarding true vs auto color. They're lucky if they can figure out cropping and image size let alone other options. Even when I tell them to print them with true color most of the time they can't figure that out or they forget once they are in the cart. Now, perhaps they're not as critical of the resulting prints as I am, but it's frustrating knowing that I can't ensure they will not turn out as well as they could.

I do realize that the number of returns for color issues is much less with auto-color.. However, I think that Power users should have the OPTION of making True Color the default (with the overall default remaining auto unless specifically changed). Add big neon disclaimers about turning off the auto-color option if needed, but you're already giving power-users more leeway in how things are presented so why not allow them a bit more regarding printing? I don't want to pay an extra $90/year just for the option of setting color preferences on a family site.

Just my $0.02
  • Options
    Crystal Clear PhotographyCrystal Clear Photography Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    11290 wrote:
    Even though I am just on a trial account and really should not complain, this is the one item that bugs me.

I understand that the "vanity URL" is not available in the standard membership but I would really like to see the ability to make a "vanity style URL" instead of the L
    O
    N
    G alphanumeric URL that is created for a gallery without A. having a power user account and B. having to only be able to create one with "linking".

URL's from both sites for the same picture group:

PBase - http://www.pbase.com/11290/openingday

SmugMug - http://11290.smugmug.com/gallery/4768006_SmRAy#282809182_kHBG3 (It's actually longer than what shows up here in this post)

I'd never be able to remember the SmugMug URL if someone asked me for it while out some day and not sure if the restaurant would give me enough napkins to write it on if I could remember. Laughing.gif

Don't understand why if PBase can do this without any effort SmugMug can't also. All things considered, I do like SmugMug and may set up an account.

Just my $.19 ($.02 adjusted for inflation)

Right on!clap.gif I came to this post to request this exactly!!! I would also like to be able to customze album urls without having to hack into the code in my Java script...it hasn't been consistant lately and it is simply distracting to see all those numbers (& letters & underscores...it seems it has gotten even longer!) Any chance this is in the near future!!?? Thanks for always being willing to listen to us smugmuggers BTW...not many companies do that anymore :)
    :rofl
    ~Crystal
    www.crystalclearphotos.com
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by what takes our breath away"
  • Options
    coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    I know I'm not the first (nor will be the last) to beat this dead horse...but, add PayPal as a payment option along with CreditCards. I know this would increase my sales as I've been asked by many of prospective customers.

thanks
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I like "rualpesch's" suggestion. A variation I thought of (no idea how to actually do it, though) would be to somehow allow a SmugMug user's email-invitee address book substitute for using a password.

In other words, if I send an email invitation to view a particular gallery to a number of invitees using my smugmug address book, it's obvious I want the invitees to be able to see the gallery (so why force them to additionally enter a password.)

This would set the stage for being able to "password-protect" all my galleries without actually requiring "welcome" guests (those to whom I email invite) to know, or enter, a password because the SmugWizards will have figured out how to manage the "permitted to view" permissions (based on the address book and the gallery-specific invitees) in the background.

Added bonus: I get the benefit of "private" galleries (even though they are technically still "public") without the penalty of losing keyword functionality that comes with actually making galleries "private", and without forcing wanted visitors to either "register" or use a password.

Is this do-able/plausible/worthy of consideration, do ya think? (or maybe just wishful musings?)

UPDATE:
    As "evidence", I believe, that this idea has merit....I just discovered something similar using Blurb!!

I produced a photo book for my father's upcomming birthday and set the Blurb option to "Private". Blurb has an "Invitation to View" capability similar to SmugMug's (send an email from within the application to your invitee's email address).

Even though my photo book is "private", sending an email through Blurb allows the Blurb system to "automagicly" (I think I've seen SmugMug use the term) recognize the obvious fact that the sender wants the recipient to view the contents...so no password is required on the recipient end. The recipient clicks on the link provided in the email and photo book preview opens up immediately! Nice.
This discussion has been closed.