Google Friend Connect
    It would be great if Smugmug integrated Google's Friend Connect:
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/press/annc/20080512_friend_connect.html
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    (awesome FR for BIIIIIIGG thumbs)

--- Denise
    Thanks for the detailed request - it's a cool one and I'll make sure the team sees it.

When we stretch the homepage and category pages at some point in the future, we'll surely have larger thumbs - not sure if we can do custom sizes above the 150px but you never know!
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I have a few ideas.

Allow an initial premium on a photo, then additional copies can be cheaper. It could be something simple like defining a discount on a per gallery/port basis for every photo beyond the first. This would make sense for a lot of different cases. One is to make up a little cost of doing post processing for delayed shipments. The other would be that you just want to give additional copies cheaper once they pay the license fee.

Have some sort of default pricing for new users to quickly get something set up. Say $5 over cost.

It would be nice if I could have domains in the following format category.mydomain.com without setting up some sort of CName for every category. (may not be possible I guess)

I had more but I just lost em.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I have a few ideas.

Allow an initial premium on a photo, then additional copies can be cheaper. It could be something simple like defining a discount on a per gallery/port basis for every photo beyond the first. This would make sense for a lot of different cases. One is to make up a little cost of doing post processing for delayed shipments. The other would be that you just want to give additional copies cheaper once they pay the license fee.

Have some sort of default pricing for new users to quickly get something set up. Say $5 over cost.

It would be nice if I could have domains in the following format category.mydomain.com without setting up some sort of CName for every category. (may not be possible I guess)

I had more but I just lost em.

Just ideas that I won't use, but they could go all out, and let pros create packages, a-la JC Penney. "Buy Super-ultra Package, 1x 8x10", 4x 5x6", and a dozen wallet size, for $20"

Combine that with coupon codes for discounts or free shipping, and SmugMug can be the one-stop shop for portrait photogs.
  • Options
    bigrememberbigremember Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 13, 2008
    I second the Google Friend Connect idea...

I realize it may be more of an API/Hacks/Tricks matter in the end since it's based off of the Open Social stuff will be more of a development platform than a true feature... but having Friend Connect capabilities to deeply integrate with SmugMug would be incredible.
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Power Mapping
    I just wanted to add a thought about mapping. I love that my photos are mapped as soon as they have location data in the exif, that is awesome! I would love to be able to upload the GPX track from my gps and have that displayed as well- so a path would display and the little smugmug pin would show photo locations along that path.

Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Yes- This is an excellent idea!
    I don't know how many people photograph trips like I do. However, since my mom is unable to travel much since she uses a walker I tend to photograph places and things like I am shooting a documentary. This means lot of photographs.

I woud like to see something offered by SmugMug that would allow a user to create something like a virtual tour. Besides allowing the display of photos, I would like to be able to show GPS routs with clickable pins for images (currently you see the pins but not the GPS route, if I could upload a GPX file to go with the geotagged photos and have that used to show the route that would be great.) I would also like to be able to add a much larger amount of text to each photo along with some basic formatting (text size for headlines and sub heads, bold, italic, color, etc.). I would also, like to able to add non photo images to these virtual tours like maps and things like that.

What I would like to see is a gallery option that allowed me to create a virtual tour of a place or trip.

Robert

I also added my thoughts about this, I love this idea and would love to see a more robust mapping and track system in place. Geotagging is going to become more and more common, we will probably see point-and-shoots with this capability very soon. It would be awesome if smugmug was on the cutting edge.

Bonus feature request: package up a trip and offer download in google earths format for offline viewing!
  • Options
    PhotoMarkusPhotoMarkus Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Google Maps now supports Flash - Example shown
    Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.
    Hi @ SmugMug!

Today Google announced for their Maps project Flash API support. Why do we care ? Well, you already use the Google Maps for the "layout" out our photos, but the new Flash support allows much more sophisticated integration.

Check out this example: http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/2008/05/news-flash-maps-now-open-to-flash.html

Click the photo, click the "last and next photo" buttons and see whether you like it.

I think this API allows a "cleaner" integration of SmugMug and Google Maps. Hope you will play a bit with it and have a small coding session (seems straight forward anyway).

Any thoughts ?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    iotashan wrote:
    Just ideas that I won't use, but they could go all out, and let pros create packages, a-la JC Penney. "Buy Super-ultra Package, 1x 8x10", 4x 5x6", and a dozen wallet size, for $20"

Combine that with coupon codes for discounts or free shipping, and SmugMug can be the one-stop shop for portrait photogs.

Actually this has nothing to do what you mentioned. I don't care about coupons, packages, etc.

This has to do with charging a primium for the first print to handle post processing (a use smugmug seems to be built for). And this has to do with encouraging people to buy multiple copies from you versus buying 1 8x10 and scanning it.

For anything artistic I do, I would not give any discount and my displayed photos would already be fully processed. I want them to look the best. I also would not sell them at sizes below 8x10.

But for photos of sports, porttraits, and any other bulk work, this is ideal.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    alduinalduin Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2008
    I'd like to second the GPX track logs. I'm off to Alaska in July and would love to be able to have our glacier trek path shown in the gallery alongside the pictures.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I'd also love to see EXIF information retained in the smaller pictures. I frequent a photography review site, and it makes it so much easier to be able to post a link to a picture with the EXIF already embedded rather than having to manually type or copy/paste it in. Leaving the feature off by default and allowing folks to opt-in on a size-by-size basis. I know I'd only need to turn it on for one of the sizes.

Oh, and one more vote for virtual galleries and passworded categories. =)
  • Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    picassa uploader enhancments....
    Is there working going on to improve the uploader for picassa?
    My wish list:

Better error logging, not having to dig in stats. It should be available from the completed screen.

Uploads to an existing gallery should not add existing files unless prompted. Great for when a multiple upload of galleries fails.

Option to have a smaller non web page based completed screen, who needs multiple windows to say it is all done.

Less blurr, easier to match the gallery names from picassa to smugmug if they can still be seen.

The picassa uploader is a great feature and I hope it evolves and gains more functionality.

Thanks!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 16, 2008
    I would love to see a feature that would allow me to have the right click warning disabled when I am logged in. I post a lot of pics, and also download a lot of pics from my website. It is such a pain to go into the customize section to turn the right click warning off, download pics, turn it back on.

Please help!
    I agree with this request. We'll have to figure out how to do this without freaking out users who set the option and then don't see it working. We do that a lot with pro pricing.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    pyry wrote:
    Hi, got an idea for you.

I'd like to see the thumbnail of the image I'm getting a link for on the share page. And having a next and previous image link or even a sort of all thumbs view with the nice click to copy links for a selected size would be quite nice.

You know, for posting lots of piccies here on dgrin without clicking around quite so much :D
    Good suggestion. We're hoping to take a second pass at that tool soon.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Save Photo in "Photo Tools" drop down options?
    Baldy wrote:
    Originally Posted by Ryan Armbrust
    I would love to see a feature that would allow me to have the right click warning disabled when I am logged in. I post a lot of pics, and also download a lot of pics from my website. It is such a pain to go into the customize section to turn the right click warning off, download pics, turn it back on.

Please help!

I agree with this request. We'll have to figure out how to do this without freaking out users who set the option and then don't see it working. We do that a lot with pro pricing.

I would like to take this request one step further. I disable originals in just about all my galleries, but I would LOVE the ability in the drop down menu (the photo tools menu) to have one of those options be "save original" (or some similar wording) so that I could save my original photo back to another computer of my choosing. This would work very well I figure since that menu isn't available at all unless logged in, so it wouldn't be hiding in the "anyone can get to it" space. I own multiple computers and often jump between them, so my originals are not always on the same computer I'm using that day, and I often which I were able to easily grab a few of my originals for various purposes. Thoughts?
  • Options
    pavepave Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Video capture date and time
    Andy wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here :) All of us at SmugMug read this thread - and we crave your input - nothing too small or too big, so don't be shy.

Hi! I'm planning to buy SmugMug power account and migrate my two existing (flickr-based and custom website based) galleries there. The thing is that after doing some experiments with SmugMug I discovered that you don't currently provide any way of marking videos with date and time that would be used when sorting galleries.

As for now I'm using an approach where I locally extract the timestamp from my avi file with mplayer and then associate it with a video uploaded to flickr. That takes care of fitting the video in the correct position between photos.

Now, I would love to have that possibility on SmugMug. Of course automatic metadata extraction from uploaded avi header would be perfect, but I'm not sure if it is standardized in any way, so even an API call to set that metadata post-upload would do.

Any chance of seeing this in the near future?
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    This is probably my top feature request (certainly top 3)! I hate having to change the gallery settings to download an image and then have to reset the settings.

thanks!!!
    Shima wrote:
    I would like to take this request one step further. I disable originals in just about all my galleries, but I would LOVE the ability in the drop down menu (the photo tools menu) to have one of those options be "save original" (or some similar wording) so that I could save my original photo back to another computer of my choosing. This would work very well I figure since that menu isn't available at all unless logged in, so it wouldn't be hiding in the "anyone can get to it" space. I own multiple computers and often jump between them, so my originals are not always on the same computer I'm using that day, and I often which I were able to easily grab a few of my originals for various purposes. Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    I would LOVE the ability in the drop down menu (the photo tools menu) to have one of those options be "save original" (or some similar wording)
    Hey, that's a great idea. It makes you say, d'oh, why didn't we think of it sooner?

We're deep into a tools makeover that I keep thinking will ship the next week (I've said that for the last 3 weeks), so I don't think I want to jeopardize with this, but I'll see when we can sneak it in.
  • Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    drag and drop from gallery pages
    Would be great if I could drag and drop from a main gallery, the galleries that are not yet sorted into sub-galleries. thumb.gif

just moved all my files over fro picassa and in move hell right now sorting them all out one by one by one by ... ya get the picture :D
  • Options
    amuggeramugger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2008
    Custom sharegroup URLs?
    Is there a reason we have to have randomly generated URLs for sharegroups? I hate the fact that i can't ever tell people a URL from memroy!

I'd love to be able to just tell people to go to

myuser.smugmug.com/share/crazypicts
    or better yet

myuser.smugmug.com/crazypicts

Thanks!
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    amugger wrote:
    Is there a reason we have to have randomly generated URLs for sharegroups? I hate the fact that i can't ever tell people a URL from memroy!

I'd love to be able to just tell people to go to

myuser.smugmug.com/share/crazypicts
    or better yet

myuser.smugmug.com/crazypicts

Thanks!
    Vanity URL redirects are your friend there :)

Redirect to the share link. Works like a charm thumb.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hey, that's a great idea. It makes you say, d'oh, why didn't we think of it sooner?

We're deep into a tools makeover that I keep thinking will ship the next week (I've said that for the last 3 weeks), so I don't think I want to jeopardize with this, but I'll see when we can sneak it in.

That would be amazing!!! As afarber also mentions, it's a pain to switch settings to unprotected and originals, download and pray no one else notices for a few seconds, and then switch your settings back. If it was in the drop down, we'd have no worries of our photos being compromised and it would be really easy to grab them for download... so if you do sneak it in sometime in the near future, I'll be thrilled!
  • Options
    amuggeramugger Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2008
    DrDavid wrote:
    Vanity URL redirects are your friend there :)

Redirect to the share link. Works like a charm thumb.gif

Yup, I've already done that for some of my heavily used groups, but i'd prefer to not have to make a new one every time i want to use a new group. It's an unnecessary extra step that smugmug should be able to eliminate easily.

I'm also trying to make things easier for my not very tech savy friend who is starting to use smugmug. Third party redirects are not an option for her.
  • Options
    thefireguythefireguy Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Two things I would love to see...Thoughts?
    • The ability to categorize your images with lenses and cameras...Pbase.com uses this here: http://www.pbase.com/cameras and you can break it down into specific lenses and cameras, which will display photos taken with whatever you choose to display
    • The ability to make a tiered keyword system. For instance, a bird photographer may have a lot of photos tagged with the bird keyword along with the type of species ...It'd be nice that instead of having hundreds of bird species as keywords, you could clik on the 'bird' keyword, and have the optino to view all the tags under that category(for instance you could go to bird, and click on cardinal to view all the cardinal pictures).
    -Brian Sullivan
    TheFireGuysPhotos.com
  • Options
    LennyLenny Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 17, 2008
    alduin wrote:
    I know it's been mentioned before, but I'd also love to see EXIF information retained in the smaller pictures. I frequent a photography review site, and it makes it so much easier to be able to post a link to a picture with the EXIF already embedded rather than having to manually type or copy/paste it in.

Count me as yet another user who would really like to have this feature.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Presets of Protected Galleries not retain the password also include paths?
    I have been taking lots of pictures when I travel for work, such as when we had a paper prototyping meeting with lots of pictures of the results. Well rather than uploading them to the work server I upload them to my SmugMug site and then send the links. Works great for traveling and having them available quickly.

Here is the issue, and I know it is small but hey I was paper prototyping interfaces this week, I have a Gallery Preset that sets the settings to Private, Password, unlisted... etc. However the password is kept in that preset. Can I have that be left out or a prompt that says, Password is from the default, do you want to change it?

Also it would be cool if I could just create a gallery with a Preset that has the customization and the Path Work>Internal in my example.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    jeopardize! jeopardize! mwink.gif
    Baldy wrote:

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    RFE: pro pricing pages
    1. It would be awesome if we could get a notation next to the description if cropping will be required. For the gallery I'm setting up just now I don't want to offer prices on any thing that requires cropping. Currently using two browser tabs to accomplish that and swapping back and forth between them.

2. When pricing an image, the ability to copy from an existing gallery would be wonderfull.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    cabbey wrote:

2. When pricing an image, the ability to copy from an existing gallery would be wonderfull.

Isn't this already there?
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2008
    I'd like the portfolio backprinting setting to appear in light gray in the backprinting text box on the gallery options instead of just showing a blank box.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    chnchn Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2008
    Direct photo links - Original
    Why isn't Original as one of the "direct photo links" option? I know I can manually change the URL to an -O- but it's a pain when I want to send a link to the original photo.
This discussion has been closed.