Options

The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    I've already begun my 2010 pricing strategy to include print credits with my wedding packages. Please don't let me down. This is gonna be great!
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    I've already begun my 2010 pricing strategy to include print credits with my wedding packages. Please don't let me down. This is gonna be great!

2010? Don't you think that's a bit optimistic? :D

Seriously, the only reason I come to DGRIN right now is to click on this thread. This whole thing has caused me to go a little bit insane. Every day I'm convinced that TODAY is going to be the day.
  • Options
    brjphoto wrote:

Seriously, the only reason I come to DGRIN right now is to click on this thread. This whole thing has caused me to go a little bit insane. Every day I'm convinced that TODAY is going to be the day.

Yes it's optimistic. I'm tired of throwing stones. If we can get it by Christmas, I'll be all smiles, and that will give me a few days to play with it.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    brjphoto wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif

I am doing the same thing with offering print credits. As I've said, I will be temporarily leaving SmugMug for ExposureManager if coupons and packages don't arrive before late 2009/early 2010.
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    Yes it's optimistic. I'm tired of throwing stones. If we can get it by Christmas, I'll be all smiles, and that will give me a few days to play with it.

I remember when I first replied in this thread. Back in June of 2008. Things were so different then. The grass was a little greener. The air was a little cleaner. In fact, to be honest, I feel a little honored to have been the first reply in this 40 page thread. That was back when I still had hope. Before the hope died.

I remember when I first gave Smugmug an "ultimatum" about packages and coupons. That was 16 months ago. Since then I've given several more "ultimatums". I think smugmug is probably enjoying this in a perverse sort of way. Kind of like a drug dealer who sells crack to the kid on the corner. The kid says, "This is my last hit. I'm done after this. I mean it." The dealer just smiles and nods. He knows the kid will be back.

I'll bet there is a room at smugmug HQ where they print off and post "utlimatums" that they get from customers. You are leaving because of coupons huh? Then they smile and nod. They know I will be back.

Seriously. I'm not throwing stones here. Smugmug knows I love them. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Just know that I'm not sending them a Christmas card this year unless I can buy it with a coupon.
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    I will be temporarily leaving SmugMug for ExposureManager

I said the same thing. Now that I have left I am quite happy with it and most likely will not be returning.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:
    I remember when I first replied in this thread. Back in June of 2008. Things were so different then. The grass was a little greener. The air was a little cleaner. In fact, to be honest, I feel a little honored to have been the first reply in this 40 page thread. That was back when I still had hope. Before the hope died.

I remember when I first gave Smugmug an "ultimatum" about packages and coupons. That was 16 months ago. Since then I've given several more "ultimatums". I think smugmug is probably enjoying this in a perverse sort of way. Kind of like a drug dealer who sells crack to the kid on the corner. The kid says, "This is my last hit. I'm done after this. I mean it." The dealer just smiles and nods. He knows the kid will be back.

I'll bet there is a room at smugmug HQ where they print off and post "utlimatums" that they get from customers. You are leaving because of coupons huh? Then they smile and nod. They know I will be back.

Seriously. I'm not throwing stones here. Smugmug knows I love them. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. Just know that I'm not sending them a Christmas card this year unless I can buy it with a coupon.
    No such room at HQ, sorry :( We want your Christmas card this year! Working on it...
  • Options
    leightonocleightonoc Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    What is the latest on the coupons beign added?
    What is the latest on the coupons being added?
    Leighton

Nautical & Travel Photographer

http://leightonPHOTO.com
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    leightonoc wrote:
    What is the latest on the coupons being added?

They are whipping the wizard as we speak.

ohh yeah and...

Hang in there, it's coming.rolleyes1.gif

December 2012
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    They are whipping the wizard as we speak.

ohh yeah and...

Hang in there, it's coming.rolleyes1.gif

December 2012

Thanks Andy!!! Wait, it can't be Andy, he gave a date! rolleyes1.gif

I love Smugmug too much to leave, but I'll be a lot happier when they stabilize the site (I know it's being fixed, but there are still too many outages for my tastes), and when they can put out features like coupons and packages.

Soon......:cry
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    December 2012

Now who's being optimistic?
  • Options
    mbellot wrote:
    Now who's being optimistic?

Sorry, I guess some of you missed the extra poke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon deal.gifdeal.gif
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Sorry, I guess some of you missed the extra poke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_phenomenon deal.gifdeal.gif

I know the date quite well, in fact I'm counting on it.

You see, my oldest daughter turns 13 in February 2013, and I don't think I could live with her as an actual teenager.

The end of the world would be a blessing, having it coincidental with the release of coupons and packages would simply be the universe's perverse sense of humor at work.
  • Options
    mbellot wrote:
    I know the date quite well, in fact I'm counting on it.

You see, my oldest daughter turns 13 in February 2013, and I don't think I could live with her as an actual teenager.

The end of the world would be a blessing, having it coincidental with the release of coupons and packages would simply be the universe's perverse sense of humor at work.

Hehe, which is why that's when it'll be.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    mbellot wrote:
    Wait till she gets to College naughty.gif
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    Wait till she gets to College naughty.gif

August 2018...

Finally, an actual release date for coupons in writing!

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Google.com/lbc - will our coupons integrate there once released
    I'm creating my business listing at google.com/lbc and wanted to add a coupon that would be usable on my website... once the coupons get released will this be doable?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    I'm creating my business listing at google.com/lbc and wanted to add a coupon that would be usable on my website... once the coupons get released will this be doable?

Sure! You just need to make sure the coupon codes are the same in both places.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2009
    Sure! You just need to make sure the coupon codes are the same in both places.

Thank you, thank you! I know everyone is very disappointed in the the e-x-t-r-e-m-l-y long drug out time frame this is taking... and I seriously hope it's not really 2012 (however I'm no longer holding my breath with high hopes anymore than the next photog and I no longer even bother checking after maintenance nights in anticipation like I used to every week) but...
    iloveyou.gif I am still very stoked about coupons coming and very much looking forward to when this eventually gets implemented. iloveyou.gif

Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2009
    brjphoto wrote:

Understood here. I had to leave prior to this football season and set up camp at Exposure Manager. The coupons and vouchers have helped business, but it was a pain reinventing the wheel.

I have thrown a lot of rocks myself, but I love SM too. I just hope that when they finally get here it's everything we hope. If so, I'll be back.

The real PIA is that I had to still pay my annual Smugmug account fee so I wouldn't have to re-upload everything on there. That left a bitter taste in my mouth, but if that doesn't prove I hope to be back, I don't know what does.
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    I just hope that the coupons option will be added soon - like by the end of Oct. I have had a lot of people asking me for discounts on the sports photos that I post. I would like to give them a discount for ordering X amount of dollars. I have read some of the work arounds on DGrin and they are unacceptable (i.e. lowering my prices in the gallery) however, that would be impracticable since I have multiple galleries that are divided up into specific games. Plus, lowering the prices as a whole would allow others that just want to order a few the discount.

I just have to wonder why it has taken 18+ months and we still do not have coupons. I'd think that this would have been a top priority with all of the feedback and the way photographers do their business just in general.ne_nau.gif I know every time these options come up it seems that we are beating a dead horse :deadhorse - but eventually the horse has to be dealt with.

I don't want to change to another provider since I really enjoy SmugMug, but, if it is going to take 18+ months just to add features that should be considered a priority let alone should have been part of the options of the site to begin with (coupons, packages, etc.) I really have to wonder the future of SmugMug in comparison to others sites that already have these and other options to help out ones business.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    agirtonagirton Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Come on
    I just have to wonder why it has taken 18+ months and we still do not have coupons. I'd think that this would have been a top priority with all of the feedback and the way photographers do their business just in general.

Seriously, if you have even read half of the posts from these guys you know that it IS a top priority. They have been working on it for quite sometime.I had this on my previous hosting but like the look and feel of Smugmug much better so I gave it up years ago. I want and need this as much as everyone else, but I want it to be the quality that the rest of the Smugmug experience offers to my customers. If I just wanted coupons and did not care about how easy it was for myself to implement and my customers to use I would have stayed with or switched along time ago to another company. Everything on this site from the customer side and my side shows great quality and well thought out process. From the screenshots they are obviously close. Lets let them finish this right so that we can offer another great additional feature to our clients.
    Stop all the whining about how long it has been, and who has what option. I am tired of paging through all the complainers in this post to find the updates, real questions and answers form the dev guys.
  • Options
    agirton wrote:
    Seriously, if you have even read half of the posts from these guys you know that it IS a top priority. They have been working on it for quite sometime.

Both statements Andy has made numerous times, but they ring somewhat hollow when its been admitted that coupons were put on hold to get Bay Photo done.
  • Options
    agirtonagirton Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Thankfully so
    mbellot wrote:
    Both statements Andy has made numerous times, but they ring somewhat hollow when its been admitted that coupons were put on hold to get Bay Photo done.

I am glad. Bay was a much higher priority. There offerings are top notch and I am glad that they did that.
  • Options
    mbellot wrote:
    Why would that ring hollow? That was 12 months ago, and Bay is done and on the site. We've shown you guys updates and what the pages look like, now we just wait (yeah, I know....).
  • Options
    TorgadoTorgado Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    soon!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    clemensphoto'sclemensphoto's Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    All that I am really saying is that I'm loosing money without having the coupons being available to my customers. I know I had a few people talk to me last year and again I have a couple of people that want to order a large amount of pictures but only if there is some sort of discount (which I willing to do). This option should have been part of the original development of the site.
    Ryan Clemens
    www.clemensphotography.us
    Canon 7D w/BG-E7 Vertical Grip, Canon 50D w/ BG-E2N Vertical Grip, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 580EX II Flash and other goodies.
    Ignorance is no excuss, so lets DGrin!
  • Options
    jmarkworth1jmarkworth1 Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    integration, API, platform or code
    I imagine that this is a pretty complex code addition. Are there any external factors that are holding the release up? I suppose that somewhere in this mix that communications to a Roes API or other system is necessary. Or, is everything squarely on the shoulders of SM's internal development team?
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    Torgado wrote:
    soon!

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means..."

rolleyes1.gif

Now that's good humor.

jokerclap.gif
  • Options
    I came here primarily for Bay. All the others we'll wait impatiently for! :D
This discussion has been closed.