Options

The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    SM is starting to make a new name for themselves, sad how many people have gone from being SM cheerleaders to being frustrated with the way things are. Bad news spreads a lot faster than good.
    You bet it does, and while it's annoyingly frustrating for you guys, imagine how we feel? We've got a top 300 website, ranking up there with sites like Gizmodo, Business Week, Fox News and others... but we're considerably more complex. We're gonna keep SmugMug strong and scalable, even if that means delaying coupons a bit more like we've had to do over the past few months because of this infrastructure.

We're planning on being here next year, 5 years from now and 50 years from now, and beyond.
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hm. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear? We have to invest the sorcery time in this project - to keep SmugMug scalable and strong. We're getting this infrastructure stuff out on the live site now, as we speak, and then we'll finish up coupons.

You guys don't want a leaky roof, I'm sure.

headscratch.gif So just to be REAL clear..... Does this mean you've pulled all sorcery work off of coupons to work on the sites infrastructure (that's going live right now)?
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    You bet it does, and while it's annoyingly frustrating for you guys, imagine how we feel? We've got a top 300 website, ranking up there with sites like Gizmodo, Business Week, Fox News and others... but we're considerably more complex. We're gonna keep SmugMug strong and scalable, even if that means delaying coupons a bit more like we've had to do over the past few months because of this infrastructure.

We're planning on being here next year, 5 years from now and 50 years from now, and beyond.
    i haven't been with SM long enough to complain about anything yet. :D but i must agree with Andy on this part - SM is very complex on the backend...i am a software developer by trade and i know the work that must go into something like this...now, if i'm here another year or two and we're still discussing coupons and packages, well then, maybe i'll start complaining too... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Cindy wrote:
    headscratch.gif So just to be REAL clear..... Does this mean you've pulled all sorcery work off of coupons to work on the sites infrastructure (that's going live right now)?
    No, not exactly - it's just that this project was/is really important and we're hopefully getting it out live this week. Then, stay tuned we'll run like racehorses to finish up what you guys are waiting for. I gotta get back to work :whip
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Then the word "soon" is meaningless.

We just need a time scale.

Weeks, months, years or geological?

At this point I'm (unfortunately) with mlee. Anything less than a year would result in complete shock.
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    my subscription is up in novembe...and i believe that gives me 30 days after to cancel. i am really hoping coupons are here....this is the biggest complaint i have about smugmug.
  • Options
    wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:

I bet ya anything that Microsoft or Google will snap Smugmug up. They better read the forums to ensure fixes. :)
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hm. Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear? We have to invest the sorcery time in this project - to keep SmugMug scalable and strong. We're getting this infrastructure stuff out on the live site now, as we speak, and then we'll finish up coupons.

You guys don't want a leaky roof, I'm sure.
    That's not the point. You've been saying coupons had a very high priority, will be 'real soon now', and now we're hearing 'well, not really.'
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    You've been saying coupons had a very high priority, will be 'real soon now', and now we're hearing 'well, not really.'

Erm... site infrastructure should ALWAYS be top priority. If SmugMug is down, who cares about a coupon?? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timnosenzo wrote:
    Erm... site infrastructure should ALWAYS be top priority. If SmugMug is down, who cares about a coupon?? ne_nau.gif
    I'm not saying infrastructure isn't important, but that Andy shouldn't be saying something is "top of the list" when the reality is otherwise.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    agirtonagirton Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 15, 2009
    hahahahaha
    wildviper wrote:
    I bet ya anything that Microsoft or Google will snap Smugmug up. They better read the forums to ensure fixes. :)
    Ya cause Microsoft is so great at adding needed features and releasing stable quality pducts on time. Laughing.gifOLaughing.gifOLaughing.gifOLaughing.gifOL If Microsoft were to buy Smugmug, I would be switching my account the next day. I would rather hear from Andy and the guys than have to call India to get help.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    ...and the hits just keeeep on coming.

In Zack Arias's most recent install of his critique series, at the end he gives a preview of the episode to come. One of the site's is hosted at SM and Zack is amazed when the site actually loads, and comments how it usually doesn't. He then goes on to say "Start your career on SmugMug then get off of it as soon as you can"

Short clip -

<object width="320" height="240" ><param name="movie" value="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NjgxNzUyMTAyJms9OXNIRkMmYT02Nzk2NDA4X1RuWXZCJnU9Y2hhbXBpb25waG90bw==" /><embed src="http://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2009090604.swf&quot; flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NjgxNzUyMTAyJms9OXNIRkMmYT02Nzk2NDA4X1RuWXZCJnU9Y2hhbXBpb25waG90bw==" width="320" height="240" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

full video at http://www.zarias.com/?p=481
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    That's not the point. You've been saying coupons had a very high priority, will be 'real soon now', and now we're hearing 'well, not really.'
    I'm so sorry :( I really don't know any other way to better explain what's going on here. I'm sorry you're upset, I'm sorry we're taking longer than we expected, and I'm sorry we had a second major bump in the road with this infrastructure work.

Why don't we all get to work, okay :D

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm so sorry :( I really don't know any other way to better explain what's going on here. I'm sorry you're upset, I'm sorry we're taking longer than we expected, and I'm sorry we had a second major bump in the road with this infrastructure work.
    I'm not upset, I just think SM needs to work on how it communicates with it's customers. For instance, if this infrastructure thing is something that just reared it's head in the past little while and needed attention Right Now, that's completely different than the impression I got which is that it was another project "in the pipe" along with everything else.
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    For me, it's as much how things are communicated as it is the delay. I know Andy has a lot on his plate, and I know he clearly wants to keep the customers happy. Andy is starting to sound like Charlie Brown's parents to me. The communication, the timeline, the various and never ending projects are all managerial issues that don't appear to be managed well. I hate Microsoft too, but they have a really neat program called Microsoft Office Project that is used to help manage such projects and resources. There seems to be operational management issues, and that can happen when a company grows as fast as SM. I've said this a lot lately, but SM is the gold standard for displaying your images and even videos, but there are many better solutions on the market TODAY that are better suited to professionals. I was really excited a few months ago with the buzz from SMUGs and the celebrity Artists-in-Residence, but SM isn't ready to move on the feedback they're getting. However, it is possible they see things in the market the rest of us can't see yet. We'll see. Until then, I'm enjoying my RedCart.

David
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    I'm not upset, I just think SM needs to work on how it communicates with it's customers. For instance, if this infrastructure thing is something that just reared it's head in the past little while and needed attention Right Now, that's completely different than the impression I got which is that it was another project "in the pipe" along with everything else.
    It's the former not the latter. And I can't think of a company out there that is more transparent than we are - it's all open, out on the table for dissection.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    And I can't think of a company out there that is more transparent than we are - it's all open, out on the table for dissection.
    Really? Then what's left to get coupons and packages out in the wild? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Really? Then what's left to get coupons and packages out in the wild? mwink.gif
    I've been saying all along- we get this infrastructure out (tonight, we hope) then it's back on track. Bigwebguy's been working on coupons again of course, for a while, while we await release.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I've been saying all along- we get this infrastructure out (tonight, we hope) then it's back on track. Bigwebguy's been working on coupons again of course, for a while, while we await release.
    Except I wasn't asking about the infrastructure - I was asking what's left to be done in the project itself.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Except I wasn't asking about the infrastructure - I was asking what's left to be done in the project itself.
    To finish it. I'm not going to even bother bigwebguy with this question, since I want him to keep programming. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    To finish it. I'm not going to even bother bigwebguy with this question, since I want him to keep programming.
    Then talk to his manager or whoever he reports to that should be keeping track of such things.
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    ...and the hits just keeeep on coming.

In Zack Arias's most recent install of his critique series, at the end he gives a preview of the episode to come. One of the site's is hosted at SM and Zack is amazed when the site actually loads, and comments how it usually doesn't.
    I've had similar issues from time to time, where I open a link to a new tab in FF, but nothing shows up. Usually it's a matter of copying the link, opening another tab, and then activating the URL. Maybe that's what he's running into. headscratch.gif

I haven't been able to document a way to repeat this behavior though.
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Sounds like they need to work on their infrastructure. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2009
    timk519 wrote:
    Then talk to his manager or whoever he reports to that should be keeping track of such things.
    Tim: We've said all we're gonna say about the project - it's well underway, we began testing it a while ago, then we got into the infrastructure that we're pushing tonight http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=147104 and in the past few weeks we've also been able to re-focus on coupons again (said infrastructure was indeed a blocker) ..... they're nearing completion and nothing is more of a priority for us. Nothing. I've said all this so many times lately, I can't say it differently, I'm sorry :(

So please, please, just let us get the feature done. Thanks!
  • Options
    adamup4adamup4 Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Good Things Come to Those Who Wait
    I've been using Smugmug for over a year to host my wedding galleries (44 total weddings in 2009 alone). I have always had a great experience with the ease of use of the galleries, the speed at which the photos come, the amazing quality of the prints, and also the level of customer service.

Given that, the feature that I'd obviously like to see sooner than later are coupons, however, am willing to trade this in exchange for all the other benefits Smugmug offers. You guys truly do a great job.

It would be great to offer those coupons to my clients, so I wouldn't have to hand select them and order them myself. It is worth the wait, however, until this feature is added and I am willing to put in the extra time to a little more leg work for now.

Keep up the great work Smugmug team. wings.gif
    www.adamsheaphoto.com - Visit Adam Shea Photography to fulfill your wedding photography needs! See why he's been rated a top wedding photographer in Wisconsin, Green Bay, Appleton, Neenah, Menasha, and Oshkosh.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Let's keep the coupon discussion over here. These grabs are from a post Baldy made over here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1237252#post1237252

BWG is making some good progress, guys:

screenshots
    681886097_zqm9z-O.jpg

681876610_JmehT-O.jpg

No, Beetle, we aren't giving a date - but they're really getting closer now.
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Sure is lookin' full-featured. I'll give it that!
    thumb.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    we aren't giving a date - but they're really getting closer now.

Andy, if you guys didn't spoil us so much we wouldn't expect all of you to be miracle workers. You're great service is what caused all of this....If you guys are going to continue with the best service, you are going to have to expect us to want even more stuff faster...
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    Andy, if you guys didn't spoil us so much we wouldn't expect all of you to be miracle workers. You're great service is what caused all of this....If you guys are going to continue with the best service, you are going to have to expect us to want even more stuff faster...

Ditto & Amen what Steve said 15524779-Ti.gif Smugmug is it all the way!

Now back to: drums.gifcheerleader.gifdrums.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
This discussion has been closed.