Options

de-lurk yourselves

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 17, 2011 in The Big Picture
we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate :deal

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up :thumb

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    Andy, I think that is a swell idea. You always seem to come up with winners.

Congratulations on another great idea, ginger

Did I really say that:uhoh . I just decided to read what this "lurker" thing was all about, and there is a post, like that, so untypical, from me.ne_nau.gif

Must have my day to want to earn brownie points, not that you don't come up with great ideas, Andy. Of course you do. I personally liked the free dinner one.

What I have been wondering, this is just for newbies. What about the "oldies"?
    First to reach? Best after 100,00 posts. Something like that?

A free trip to NY, London and San Fran??????

ginger

Now that is more me............you rock, Andy! (gotta keep that going)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    It's probably too late to start lurking? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    It's probably too late to start lurking? ne_nau.gif
    How about a prize for long time posters that go lurk for awhile:D
    Nice idea Andythumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    How about a prize for long time posters that go lurk for awhile:D
    Nice idea Andythumb.gif

greaps, ginger, john (and all longtimers...):

you can play in this game :D

something for everyone here, would we forget about thems that we brung to the dance?
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2005
    Maybe we could post on forums that we don't usually post on. I could post on people, street scenes and, especially, sports. They won't even know who I am unless you all tell them.

g
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I dunno, was I lurking? Laughing.gif I certainly fell off the face of the dgrin planet it seems like. but I have been busy, and it's actually photography related.

this is a good idea andy!
  • Options
    MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2005
    I hope I'm still a noob?
    After all, I've only recently joined the dgrin scene. And, what constitutes noob at dgrin anyway? :-)

Just to clarify for those who are wondering?

Yet........
    another fine mess you've gotten me into, Olie!!!!! Great idea, Andy!

Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2005
    Markjay wrote:
    After all, I've only recently joined the dgrin scene. And, what constitutes noob at dgrin anyway? :-)

Just to clarify for those who are wondering?

Yet........
    another fine mess you've gotten me into, Olie!!!!! Great idea, Andy!

Markjay
    It obviously must be anyone who joined 3/2005 and later. Laughing.gif

Gary
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2005
    :DLike I needed incentive to keep posting.....I'm totally hooked!
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    I'm officially de=lurked--- Does this may require pestcide to fix?

Mereimage
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Cool...now come on any 0zzies that are hiding under the kitchen table. Show us what you've got....particularly if any of you have been to & shot the Birdsville Races.

Im keen to go to the next one & want to know what to expect 1st hand re camping etc.

Waddaya recon Skip...you on ?
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Cool...now come on any 0zzies that are hiding under the kitchen table. Show us what you've got....particularly if any of you have been to & shot the Birdsville Races.

Im keen to go to the next one & want to know what to expect 1st hand re camping etc.

I would LOVE to headout that way, its on my to do list, but I don't know if I can go this year. I'm hoping to get up to Mt Isa to see my mother in law and take some shots for the start of the wet season so that may be our big trip for this year. Its hard to travel when the wee one is so...wee...lol.

Where abouts in Oz are you?
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Brothers Been A Few Times
    Humungus wrote:

Hey there Gus.....my brother has his pilots licence and I know he's been there a few times, .....I'm thinking I will more than likely go back to USA next year.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Gus.....my brother has his pilots licence and I know he's been there a few times, .....I'm thinking I will more than likely go back to USA next year.
    Skippy (Australia)
    You looking at leaving us, Skip? How's that mount of yours working out?

Birdsville, wont be able to make that this year - but it would be a great photo op.

Here's a couple of happy snaps from the recent Auto Italia in Canberra.

murcielago5uy.jpgMurcielago

owner7eo.jpg
    ...after a while I stopped taking photos of cars and started photographing people reflected in them. This one is of the owner reflected in the window of his car.

whatthe5cx.jpg

... and here's his car. Not quite sure what type of Lamborghini it is. I can't find a reference to it anywhere. I remember him saying it's a LHD version and is one of only four in the world.

See the blue Fiat 850 Special to its left? That's my old car *beams*. It won two awards that day and was a real pleasure to drive when we owned it.

- Simon.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2005
    So Me Old Corolla ..does it count??
    You looking at leaving us, Skip? How's that mount of yours working out?

Birdsville, wont be able to make that this year - but it would be a great photo op.

- Simon.
    Ya know Simon, I have always considered cars to be a waste of money, my last car was a old Corolla, I had it for 18 years, didn't owe me a cent, I only went through one set of tires, one set of brakes, one radiator and one alternator :D
    I just gave it away after I got this second hand Falcon :D

Ive had this car for about 6 years now, and fully intend to run it into the ground too rolleyes1.gif figured they can only get you from A to B, you can only do the same speed limit reguardless of its shape or size, and heck I only drive it to work :D

I'm thinking about going back to USA next year, even though I'm going this year ....... I'm just dreaming :D it don't hurt to dream :D

Nice looking cars you shot there........some folks just look after their vehicles so well, I like the vintage cars....take care Simon...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    congrats to Aussie_ bluey on winning this past month's "delurking" award, as best n00b poster.

you've earned a free standard smugmug account for one year :D pm me for the details and we'll get you set up.

next award: august 2005 so lurkers of dgrin - de-lurk!
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    congrats to Aussie_ bluey on winning this past month's "delurking" award, as best n00b poster.

you've earned a free standard smugmug account for one year :D pm me for the details and we'll get you set up.

Congrats Aussie bluey! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif You took some really awesome shots, very deserved!!! thumb.gifthumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    andy wrote:

Congrats _bluey!

Hopefully others will follow your example and 'delurk' and come play. clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    I tend to lurk, but I like this site a lot...it's my new tool for procrastinating.
  • Options
    simon bennettsimon bennett Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Ya know Simon, I have always considered cars to be a waste of money, my last car was a old Corolla, I had it for 18 years, didn't owe me a cent, I only went through one set of tires, one set of brakes, one radiator and one alternator :D
    I just gave it away after I got this second hand Falcon :D

Ive had this car for about 6 years now, and fully intend to run it into the ground too rolleyes1.gif figured they can only get you from A to B, you can only do the same speed limit reguardless of its shape or size, and heck I only drive it to work :D

I'm thinking about going back to USA next year, even though I'm going this year ....... I'm just dreaming :D it don't hurt to dream :D

Nice looking cars you shot there........some folks just look after their vehicles so well, I like the vintage cars....take care Simon...... Skippy (Australia)
    Skip, I hear you on the A to B... but I do like my european styling on the older cars. You should see my poor Saab. It was owned by a diplomat before we bought it. Now whenever I open the door, the inside looks like one of those underwater scenes where seaweed sways back and forth - it's full of dog hair... oh and a fair bit of sand from the beach.

Don't think I've washed it in the five years I've had the thing which would explain the dalmation effect on the roof (we have a large oak tree in the front yard).

If I had the money to spare, and the inclination to spend, I'd snap an E-type Jag (or two... I hear you have to do that with Jaguars) - oh and I'd need a full time mechanic as well. Guess I can dream.
    cdiamond.jpg

If I really didn't have to worry about money then I'd snap a Vector W2 which I've had my eye on for a few years now...

2danger.jpg

BTW: Congrats Bluey! One year's hosting on Smugmug... gotta be happy with that, mate.
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Hi Everyone, I'm evil eggplant, nice to meet you.

(Andy- when should I expect my check?)
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 14, 2005
    Hi Everyone, I'm evil eggplant, nice to meet you.

(Andy- when should I expect my check?)
    rolleyes1.giflol3.gif :lol4 :lol

Rich,
    You can't be a lurker with 70 posts ne_nau.gif You've just been gone on vacation is all....lol Welcome back :):

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Commando BotanistCommando Botanist Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    OK, here goes
    Howdy. I'm Michelle. I've already posted in a few places this weekend, but this looks like an official-type de-lurking place. :D I'm 32 year old desert rat, I live in San Diego, California with one husband and many pets, and I work for San Diego State University and the U.S. Army as a restoration ecologist and botanist. eek7.gif

These are older photos, all taken with my Nikon CoolPix 990. We had extremely record-breaking rainfall this year, so I've been busy with my shiny new Nikon D70. I've got a huge backlog of photos to process from the deserts this spring. I've only been lurking a little while, but I already feel like I've benefitted from the river of knowledge here. So I hope to have even better photos to show soon(ish).

26219796-O.jpg
    Langloisia setotissima var. punctata

26219805-O.jpg
    Sphaeralcea ambigua var. ambigua
    (and unidentified insect)

26219798-O.jpg
    Loeseliastrum matthewsii
    "Whatever you do will be insignificant. but it is very important that you do it." -- Gandhi
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    wave.gif hey there c.b., and welcome to dgrin! thanks for delurking, these are some lovely shots.
  • Options
    lpswimmer003lpswimmer003 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I like this idea! :D (but mostly cause I think I'm still a n00b)
    Aly

Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but it's still fun to watch them tumble down the stairs.:rofl
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    I like this idea! :D (but mostly cause I think I'm still a n00b)

wave.gif hiya swimmer :D
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Speaking of, where is Steve???

I have been wondering?

I will delete my post here, or if I can't, Andy, you do it, but I noticed that I haven't "noticed" Steve recently.

ginger
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Speaking of, where is Steve???

I have been wondering?

I will delete my post here, or if I can't, Andy, you do it, but I noticed that I haven't "noticed" Steve recently.

ginger

he's around, he's been busy with family stuff and work.
  • Options
    lpswimmer003lpswimmer003 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hiya! :D
    I'm trying to get this stuff up and running so I can get some photos posted.

And you guys can call me Aly.
    Aly

Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but it's still fun to watch them tumble down the stairs.:rofl
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    I am de-lurked.
    Here are two of my favorite photos. The latter is one of my last that I took with my point and shoot camera. I have officially decided to take more of an interest in photography. To that end, I just purchased a Canon Rebel Digital XT. It arrives in two weeks. Until then, enjoy these two pics. The first one is my daughter next to a sunflower in our garden. The second one is a killdeer protecting her eggs. I hope to contribute more in the future. Be kind. newbie.gif

Gabi_and_sunflower_for_web.jpg

Mother_protecting_eggs.jpg