Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited November 23, 2005
    JHaveman wrote:
    De-lurking myself! I have been checking out some of the pics and I must say, there is a lot of excellent work here, and it appears to be a real friendly forum. It is nice to be here.

Welcome!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    nokout3839nokout3839 Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    De-Lurking Myself
    Hi All,

Been looking around for about three weeks unregistered and thought it was about time I said hello. There is some fantastic work being put up by everyone here. Me thinks I have lots to learn.

Here is my first play with a night exposure (Hope the attachment works??)

Cheers, Nigel

All care but no responsibility

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    nokout3839 wrote:
    Hi All,

Been looking around for about three weeks unregistered and thought it was about time I said hello. There is some fantastic work being put up by everyone here. Me thinks I have lots to learn.

Here is my first play with a night exposure (Hope the attachment works??)

Cheers, Nigel

Really nice thumb.gif ....was that a long lens or were you really close....I suspect a long lens...what is the data on the pic...iso...exposure...aperature...so on and so on....

Keep up da good work.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Shot info
    ART SCOTT wrote:
    Really nice thumb.gif ....was that a long lens or were you really close....I suspect a long lens...what is the data on the pic...iso...exposure...aperature...so on and so on....

Keep up da good work.

Thanks, got the shot info:

Camera : Canon EOS 350D
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1
    Av( Aperture Value ) 5.0
    ISO Speed 100
    Lens 75.0 - 300.0 mm (Shot at around 200)

I do like to keep away a bit when my people are throwing around a couple of ropes that are on fire!

I should also say that I did a little bit of post work (Mainly contrast and bringing out the red)

Cheers,

• Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    rings of fire. pretty cool.
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Welcome Nigel. Cool shot.
  • Options
    ButtkickerButtkicker Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Well I have been Lurking for a while and just posted my 1st post 3 minutes ago with a few pictures.. I guess I should of seen this thread first
  • Options
    Wade DWade D Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Hi all! kinda newbie here. How do I link a smugmug pic? cool site
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Welcome buttkicker & wade...post some shots up !
  • Options
    ButtkickerButtkicker Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Welcome buttkicker & wade...post some shots up !
    Hi
    I posted 6 shots in my first post
    here
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24571

before I saw this thread for lurkers
    regards Chris
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Thanks and some links for wade
    Wade D wrote:
    Hi all! kinda newbie here. How do I link a smugmug pic? cool site

Thanks for the welcomes all, much appreciated.

Wade - Have a look here for linking to external photos
    -> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18703
    (Read the whole thread, looks like theres a few trick to it)

Theres also some other pretty handy getting started stuff in here
    -> http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18703
    (Andy provided this link from his sig, very helpfull, thanks Andy)

Cheers, Nigel

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    G'day nigel sorry i missed seeing you. Welcome to Dgrin. We can always use more 0zzies in here for last dog watch when the yanks are asleep.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    G'day nigel sorry i missed seeing you. Welcome to Dgrin. We can always use more 0zzies in here for last dog watch when the yanks are asleep.

Cheers again

• Options
    Chris_SChris_S Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2006
    Finally registered on dgrin after using smugmug for the last couple of years.

Dpreview users may remember me from the Sony Talk forum.

Chris
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2006
    Chris_S wrote:
    Finally registered on dgrin after using smugmug for the last couple of years.

Dpreview users may remember me from the Sony Talk forum.

Chris

Welcome!

Ian
  • Options
    RickKruerRickKruer Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    de-lurking
    well, today I de-lurked by registering on dgrin, this is my 1st post, having been on smugmug since July 2005.

I am an amateur photographer enjoying a Nikon D70 for about the past year. Previously I used an Olympus C-3030 for my 1st 4 years of digital photography. Digital is really cool, which allows me to combine my love of photography and computers.

I have been a film photographer for the past 35 years, taking mostly only vacation photos. Now with digital, film is cheap and it is fun to experiment!

I live in Mesa, Arizona and have taken some local desert landscape photos. I love vacationing in Oregon and enjoy taking many ocean and coast landscape photos. Looking forward to learning on the forum. thumb.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    RickKruer wrote:
    well, today I de-lurked by registering on dgrin, this is my 1st post, having been on smugmug since July 2005.

wave.gif welcome to Dgrin, Rick! Thanks for registering, and posting :D A gorgeous shot, too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    FrogwellFrogwell Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2006
    Hi Andy,

I think it was you who referred me to this forum from the Adventure Rider forum back in January. I've had a browse round the forum a bit and there is some truly great stuff here. I wasn't too sure if my strictly amateur photography skills were worthy of being displayed here, but I figured I'm not going to improve much if I don't get feedback from those who have been where I am now.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know about this forum, I have made my first post over on the field and street board.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=250330#post250330

Cheers,

Mark
    I didn't sell out, I bought in.
    www.frogwell.com
  • Options
    HighlanderHighlander Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    Hi
    I found this site by accident! I just bought the Dan Margulis book on LAB Color and was searching for inspiration on how to understand and implement the later chaptersheadscratch.gif . The threads I found here were very helpful, and I think I can learn a lot.
    I live in the Highlands of Scotland and my primary interest is landscape work. The scenery up here is wonderful, and I want to do it justice.
    Here is an example of my work which is also my first attempt at LAB editing!

RuadhNanSasan004.jpg

Any comments and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Trevor
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    I found this site by accident! I just bought the Dan Margulis book on LAB Color and was searching for inspiration on how to understand and implement the later chaptersheadscratch.gif . The threads I found here were very helpful, and I think I can learn a lot.
    I live in the Highlands of Scotland and my primary interest is landscape work. The scenery up here is wonderful, and I want to do it justice.

Regards
    Trevor

welcome Highlander. Sounds like you've got some neat landscapes to photograph. I liked your shot and I'll be looking forwards to seeing more. FYI, you might want to post in "field and street" as well to get the folks interested in landscapes. For some reason this de-lurk yourself thread is in sports (maybe a mod could move it to a more appropriate place?)

cheers,

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    welcome Highlander. Sounds like you've got some neat landscapes to photograph. I liked your shot and I'll be looking forwards to seeing more. FYI, you might want to post in "field and street" as well to get the folks interested in landscapes. For some reason this de-lurk yourself thread is in sports (maybe a mod could move it to a more appropriate place?)

cheers,

Colleen
    Thanks for the welcome, Colleen. I'll try your suggestion and post an image there.
    Regards
    Trevor
  • Options
    RickKruerRickKruer Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2006
    Great shot
    Trevor,

Great shot! clap.gif

Do you have a smugmug account?
    Scotland looks beautiful. Welcome to the forum...
    Rick
    Highlander wrote:

RuadhNanSasan004.jpg

Regards
    Trevor
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    RickKruer wrote:
    Trevor,

Great shot! clap.gif

Do you have a smugmug account?
    Scotland looks beautiful. Welcome to the forum...
    Rick

Thanks Rick, yes there is some truly beautiful scenery up here, albeit covered in snow at the moment!:):
  • Options
    blaithin86blaithin86 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif

Is this still on? I just got here - heard about this site from a friend only today... looks good!! I sure intend to be back. :D
    ~Monica
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2006
    blaithin86 wrote:
    Is this still on? I just got here - heard about this site from a friend only today... looks good!! I sure intend to be back. :D
    ~Monica

wave.gif Hi Monica, welcome to Dgrin! It sure is - we're due to award one soon.
  • Options
    CalKiddCalKidd Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2006
    Hello,
    Bryan is the name, Calkidd is a nickname I picked up eons ago, been using it every since.

Well I just joined the other night and I am hoping to learn and gain valuable knowledge here. So far this is the best formated photography forum I have seen.

I recently purchased a Canon XT DSLR and don't know a dang thing about it much less photography ne_nau.gif(well, maybe a little...I know where the shutter button ismwink.gif), but hey that is why I am here. I know one thing I made a mistake and purchased the wrong lens for what I want to do. So I am going to search around here a little and hopefully come up with the right one.

Right now looking to buy a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 for everyday shots and for my daughter's events which mostly take place indoors, mainly Cheer leading. I love motorcycle racing and want to get into photographing races. For that I am either looking at the Sigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 or the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Just don't know yet, but I hoping to find the answers here. I am avoiding L glass since I can not afford them.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2006
    WELCOME capulina and calkidd!

wave.gifwave.gif
  • Options
    §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Ok time I better offically de-lurk myself. Have already made a few comments here.

I'm Simone, mother of 3 boys (gawd help me rolleyes1.gif) Live in a typical country town along the Murray River, NSW / Vic border, Australia.

A fellow member encouraged me to join. :smooch. Always welcome advice, comments etc as it helps one to improve there skill. Dgrin is now my 2nd photography site member of.

Have many interests, but its great when you can combine all of them together. Personal web site not photography related, but images in there are mine, to show what I make.

Oh yeah also ride motorcycle, pic already in 'Show us your bike' thread. Should get around & put pic up of hubby's cbr.

Look forward to getting to know you all. See you round the boards.
    Stay Safe
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I didn't even know you had a thread for new members! clap.gif

Well, I've been lurking around here for less than a month now. I really like the way everyone has a nice attitude here. I think I'll be able to get addicted to this forum real easily mwink.gif.

But my name is Joel, I'm from southern NV. I'm currently going to college for my bachelors in Biological Sciences. I work part-time for Sears PS shooting family portraits. I love photography. I love shooting landscapes, people and anything for that matter thats able to catch my eyes. I enjoy reading what people have to say about one another's photos here and catching up on the news/gossip/reviews on new cameras and other equipment. I'm trying to contribute my thoughts on the whipping-post area as well all of the other areas on the forum. I like helping others improve because they usually return the favor later on.

Also, I just recently got into Infrared photography, here are some of my favorite shots, if you have any questions on IR, just PM me, I'm still new to it but I can help direct you to the right direction if you want to get into it:

DSC02644.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

Anyway, I think I'll enjoy it here. The contests are cool and challenging, a lot of people here are pretty creative. Those who still hasn't acquired the 'Eye' yet, I'm sure will learn from everyone else here. With that thought in mind, keep shooting! Know that I'll be observing and commenting! I look forward to what you all have to say and learn from everyone here thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    I didn't even know you had a thread for new members! clap.gif

Well, I've been lurking around here for less than a month now. I really like the way everyone has a nice attitude here. I think I'll be able to get addicted to this forum real easily mwink.gif.

But my name is Joel, I'm from southern NV. I'm currently going to college for my bachelors in Biological Sciences. I work part-time for Sears PS shooting family portraits. I love photography. I love shooting landscapes, people and anything for that matter thats able to catch my eyes. I enjoy reading what people have to say about one another's photos here and catching up on the news/gossip/reviews on new cameras and other equipment. I'm trying to contribute my thoughts on the whipping-post area as well all of the other areas on the forum. I like helping others improve because they usually return the favor later on.

Also, I just recently got into Infrared photography, here are some of my favorite shots, if you have any questions on IR, just PM me, I'm still new to it but I can help direct you to the right direction if you want to get into it:

Anyway, I think I'll enjoy it here. The contests are cool and challenging, a lot of people here are pretty creative. Those who still hasn't acquired the 'Eye' yet, I'm sure will learn from everyone else here. With that thought in mind, keep shooting! Know that I'll be observing and commenting! I look forward to what you all have to say and learn from everyone here thumb.gif

Hi peas,

wave.gif welcome, and thanks for the Intro!