AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2005
    Maestro wrote:

wave.gif welcome, maestro :D
  • Options
    PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2005
    Total Beginner
    Thanks Andy for this thread, it has given me a tiny kick in the tail to get started. I only had my first-lurk yesterday, and joined immediately, the useful information and generosity of people is fantastic. And great to find here that there are some Australians in the forum - wasn't sure if I'd be like the only one and outta place. Smugmug looks terrific - do many Aussie and NZ people have accounts there? Tks again, PC.
  • Options
    InvectiveInvective Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2005
    I hadn't seen this thread! I will not lurk! Laughing.gif:D

My friend Aimee, photoshopped (of course)

She is so much fun to shoot :D

P10502402.jpg

P1050008.jpg
    "The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Thanks Andy for this thread, it has given me a tiny kick in the tail to get started. I only had my first-lurk yesterday, and joined immediately, the useful information and generosity of people is fantastic. And great to find here that there are some Australians in the forum - wasn't sure if I'd be like the only one and outta place. Smugmug looks terrific - do many Aussie and NZ people have accounts there? Tks again, PC.

yes, we have loads of folks from oz and nz - nzmacro, simon bennett, humungus, tassied, skippy, aussiebluey, aussiekate, and more!!!!!!!

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, the official photo home of cherry ripes lol3.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    Gidday PossumCorner, welcome to D/grin...our 0zzie/kiwi list is growing all the time. Just take some shots & jump in.

Gus
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Gidday PossumCorner, welcome to D/grin...our 0zzie/kiwi list is growing all the time. Just take some shots & jump in.

Gus

but please, no vegemite, 'k?
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    but please, no vegemite, 'k?
    ...have you actually sat down with some fresh bread & butter and made a sumwitch with it ?

Tastes different to its smell.

Gus...(whom eats it at least twice a day !)
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    ...have you actually sat down with some fresh bread & butter and made a sumwitch with it ?

yes. :puke
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes. :puke
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif You blokes seriously have something wrong with you if you dont like that.
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    andy wrote:
    congrats to Aussie_ bluey on winning this past month's "delurking" award, as best n00b poster.

you've earned a free standard smugmug account for one year :D pm me for the details and we'll get you set up.

next award: august 2005 so lurkers of dgrin - de-lurk!

Congrats Aussie_bluey! Who's next? :D
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2005
    Maestro wrote:
    Here are two of my favorite photos. The latter is one of my last that I took with my point and shoot camera. I have officially decided to take more of an interest in photography. To that end, I just purchased a Canon Rebel Digital XT. It arrives in two weeks. Until then, enjoy these two pics. The first one is my daughter next to a sunflower in our garden. The second one is a killdeer protecting her eggs. I hope to contribute more in the future. Be kind. newbie.gif

Welcome! You will find that this is one of the coolest, kindest, and most encouraging groups that you'll ever meet. I know I did. Keep the posts coming. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2005
    we've already given away a couple of prizes.

we're looking for de-lurkers.... c'mon you guys, register, and contribute! it's free & painless and you'll live longer, for every post you make in someone's thread, you'll live an extra week deal.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2005
    aero-nut wrote:
    Who's next? :D

yes indeed, who's next? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Well, I posted a few shots in "Landscapes" and one in "Cool Stuff" already, so I guess I'll officially introduce myself here. I live in central California, about 80 miles from Yosemite. I'm just beginning to get a bit more serious about photography. I was an avid backpacker until about a year ago when I contracted Lyme Disease. This left me using a walker for the time being, so my photography is done roadside, inside of a car, or any easily accessable location. It's amazing what can be seen/taken from inside a car window!

Here are some shots I've taken with my Canon D-Reb...

Fern Spring, Yosemite NP
    02-003.jpg
    An old house nearby
    04-003.jpg

Hawk at the nearby wildlife refuge
    03-005.jpg

San Joaquin River on my commute.
    01-008.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2005
    Well, I posted a few shots in "Landscapes" and one in "Cool Stuff" already, so I guess I'll officially introduce myself here.

wave.gif welcome, mike! thanks for introducing yourself :D looking forward to your contributions here at dgrin deal.gif
  • Options
    DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    Would it be possible....
    (to get more D Grin members, and for some local get togethers) to start up D Grin local photo/camera clubs?

I love Dgrin and other forums. And learn alot from them.

But I would like to meet (in-person) more photographers, go out and shoot, have some meeting to learn and share our photography.

There are 1000+ people where I work, and we have 800+ acres of land. Farms, gardens, animals, etc. we have endless photo opportunities. I got he OK from my boss to organize a camera club. I can use the land and the many facilities to do this. This will do a few things for them. This would be another benefit to offer employees. Get some great photos to use for publications, websites, etc.

For me, I will be able to learn from others, share experiences, have photo outings. Just like DGrin but LIVE. Not just sitting in front of this dumb computer typing.

My plans would be:
    To set-up a club gallery
    Have learning days.
    Have visiting photographers.
    Have photo outings.
    Challenges.
    And an end of the year show.

DGrin could be our on-line place to meet.

I am not to much into clubs, but I really would like to socialize with other photographers. I don't know to many local photographers around me.

Just an idea? ne_nau.gif Maybe others would do the same?
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2005
    DeanMcM wrote:
    (to get more D Grin members, and for some local get togethers) to start up D Grin local photo/camera clubs?

I love Dgrin and other forums. And learn alot from them.

But I would like to meet (in-person) more photographers, go out and shoot, have some meeting to learn and share our photography.

There are 1000+ people where I work, and we have 800+ acres of land. Farms, gardens, animals, etc. we have endless photo opportunities. I got he OK from my boss to organize a camera club. I can use the land and the many facilities to do this. This will do a few things for them. This would be another benefit to offer employees. Get some great photos to use for publications, websites, etc.

For me, I will be able to learn from others, share experiences, have photo outings. Just like DGrin but LIVE. Not just sitting in front of this dumb computer typing.

My plans would be:
    To set-up a club gallery
    Have learning days.
    Have visiting photographers.
    Have photo outings.
    Challenges.
    And an end of the year show.

DGrin could be our on-line place to meet.

I am not to much into clubs, but I really would like to socialize with other photographers. I don't know to many local photographers around me.

Just an idea? ne_nau.gif Maybe others would do the same?
    Dean,
    here is a thread that you may be interested in.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    I agree with Ginger, Andy. Brilliant idea!
    Loving it here, and wish I could post more. Got my own health site that is very taxing, and between that and editing, it's about all this ol' body can muster.rolleyes1.gif

So I do understand that people need to contribute back. Sometimes people don't realize that contributing just their photos is all that is required. But in fact, if everyone did only that, we'd have no human interaction here, and the learning curve would drop decidedly.

I really enjoy reading all the posts, and my learning curve is based on all of the wonderful photographers contributions here! EXIF's are helpful too! Like I said before, I wish there were two of me!

Thanks for all you do Andy, and to all the others who work so hard here. I hear ya.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2005
    congrats to Lord Vetinari on earning our latest "de-lurking" award. clap.gif brian is extremely generous of his tips and techniques, and is a regular contributor, posting his own stuff, and helping out others as well.

so, lord vet - send me a p.m., and i'll tell you how you can claim your prize (a free smugmug standard account for one year)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    clap.gif Congrats, m'lud.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes indeed, who's next? ne_nau.gif
    :D came out of the dark(room) a short while ago ....and have been enjoying the site..and the wild poker game going on in nature/wildlife section. The various hands of BIF have been most enjoyable. I am a little worried about those two old fellows who go shooting together and use TCs on their Nikons. ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif

Cheers

BMP/Mike

I'll be keeping a close eye on those two machinegunning wild men. thumb.gif

45212845.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Excellent stuff Brian, great shots,tips and advice...Cheers thumb.gif
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2005
    Well thanks!
    for the De-lurking award- still not sure what for, but anything gratefully received. thumb.gif

Brian V.
  • Options
    GadgetGavGadgetGav Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    I'd better post some pics here before I put too many more posts on the board. Been lurking a little while and just started posting pictures today. Here are a few I shot when I first got my DRebel
    2034697-S.jpg

2034694-S.jpg

2022800-S.jpg

2022804-S.jpg
  • Options
    infosecgeekinfosecgeek Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2005
    Been lurking a day..... :)

Hello, My name is Boris and I'm a lurker :)

I shoot everything from motorsports (supermotard/motocross) to birds to models to street scenes... And Pets.... I have made the most in the motorsports/pets category...

Here are a few of my shots...

26995414-O.jpg

30710519-M.jpg

21229179-M-1.jpg

22038516-M.jpg

28785835-M.jpg
  • Options
    G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2005
    lol
    I am sure you have research that shows this :) - nice idea andy
    ~g
    andy wrote:
    we've already given away a couple of prizes.

we're looking for de-lurkers.... c'mon you guys, register, and contribute! it's free & painless and you'll live longer, for every post you make in someone's thread, you'll live an extra week deal.gif
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    All right
    posting to this thread as instructed... :):. I wont repost my pictures over here although I would have posted here if I know this was around before i started posting lol. Theres a few in the other cool shots section for now.

good to be here.

~ gaurav
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2005
    Wow
    Boris that tree swallow shot is fan-tas-tic - how long did it take you to catch that??

[

21229179-M-1.jpg

[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2005
    G K wrote:
    Boris that tree swallow shot is fan-tas-tic - how long did it take you to catch that??
    [/QUOTE]

My guess is about 1/500th of a second.rolleyes1.gif

BTW, it is a great shot.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Speaking of, where is Steve???
    /me wakes up and looks around

Huh? Just started posting myself this week.

Oh, you probably didn't mean me, ne'er mind. Sorry.

/me goes back to sleep

icon_pirate.gif