Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited April 28, 2006
    Welcome Vania and Justin!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Iron CreekIron Creek Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Lifting the de-lurking cloak
    Hi All!clap.gif

We've been on smugmug for 1 year and 2 days under the name of Southwest Images by delibby. Effective May 1st (today) we changed our name to Iron Creek Photography. We thought the change of name was important since both my wife and myself contribute images to our web site. We've been taking images for over 30 years but just changed to "professional" since retiring from the federal government (both of us!). We now spend our time traveling the US in search of that perfect landscape or wildlife image. The more we do this the better we get.
    Our gear is completely made up of Canon products (bodies and lens) We also offer “in-house” printing which is done with our Epson 4000.

Please come visit us and leave a note if you find something you like.
    Don Libby,
    Iron Creek Photography
    httP://www.Ironcreekphotography.com
    Tucson, Arizona

Member NAPP; PPA
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I'm such a noob, that I only got my account going yesterday. I've known of SmugMug for a while, but never really looked into the place much--up until this last week my self-hosted site was sufficient. An out-of-the-blue break fell into my lap and I found myself needing some way of getting prints into customers' hands easily--SmugMug fits the bill! I'm still getting my feet under me just transferring images from my older site to here, so not much to show yet, and being a picky longtime PC user, I know I'll eventually customize the snot out of my space here; so expect a bunch of noob (but well-thought-out) questions from me in the near future.

BTW, the old site is at http://64.81.80.185/photography/portfolio/
  • Options
    761761 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2006
    No one likes a lurker.
  • Options
    David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I'm de-luked...
    So...I've been lurking for more than a few months, poking around the site, and getting a feel for what's on offer.

Finally decided to jump in and get myself some of the good stuff. I'm greatly impressed by the helpful and constructive contributions of Andy and many of the other regular members.

Very happy to be here!

thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Options
    SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2006
    This is only my second post here (my first was about 10 minutes ago in the "Show us your mug..." thread!).

I shoot almost exclusively underwater (see www.seattleyates.smugmug.com), and I am active on several underwater photography boards (www.wetpixel.com and www.digitaldiver.net), but I am really hoping to develop my above-water skills this coming year.

Strange as it may seem, I am somewhat intimidated by above-water photography. Allow me to explain. I've spent years learning and refining my underwater photo skills (first with SLRs, then video, then point-&-shoot digital, now with DSLRs). I still have MUCH to learn, but I'm very comfortable in that environment (I shoot in full manual mode, including manually setting/adjusting my strobes -- haven't used TTL in years).

When you're underwater, you usually see "some thing" specific to shoot (a fish or school of fish, a shark, a pretty coral, etc.). It is just a matter of applying principles of composition, lighting and exposure to get a pleasing picture of that subject (if you're lucky!).

Above water, OTOH, the number and variety of potential subjects is endless! I look at the photos on this and other photography websites, and I am in awe of people's creativity and eye for "seeing" great photographs in the "ordinary" world around them (a flower blossom, a curving staircase, etc.). Since I do not consider myself terribly creative, I look around and--although I KNOW there's cool stuff I could be shooting--I just don't feel like I "see" it! I have a brother who's an artist, and I consider many of you to be artists as well, but I'm just not sure I have a natural eye for the millions of potential subjects I pass by each day... <sigh>

Despite all that, however, I am determined to expand my photo "universe" to the above-water world in the coming year, and I look forward to learning more from all of you in the process!
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields
  • Options
    ladolcevitaladolcevita Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2006
    I'm a newbie Dgrinner and smugmugger! I'm Angela, a microbiologist by day. At night, I dream of becoming a fabulous photographer. :D

One of my recent favorites, taken in April in Philadelphia. A little soft, but I like it.

68864084-M.jpg
  • Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    Bugga! Thought I had replied already ;-)
    Names Dave, and hail from the little Island of Tasmania in Aust. Have been a member for a little while and enjoy the attitude of people here and the way in which everyone is so willing to help and give guidence.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    Since I do not consider myself terribly creative, I look around and--although I KNOW there's cool stuff I could be shooting--I just don't feel like I "see" it! I have a brother who's an artist, and I consider many of you to be artists as well, but I'm just not sure I have a natural eye for the millions of potential subjects I pass by each day... <sigh>
    Hey Bruce, nice to see you here. What you're saying rings a bell with me -- notice my "Artistically Challenged" moniker. 99% of my shots are nature shots. I think that's ok. It's all in how you look at the world I guess and what you find interesting.

I checked out your gallery and really like your recent work. I hadn't realized what depths you've gone to in your undersea photography (pun alert) hobby. Super stuff.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    David TaylorDavid Taylor Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2006
    TassieD wrote:
    Names Dave, and hail from the little Island of Tasmania in Aust. Have been a member for a little while and enjoy the attitude of people here and the way in which everyone is so willing to help and give guidence.
    Hi Dave! We are former residents of Tasmania who moved to the States 3 years ago for my career. We still retain our house in Launceston, and will probably make it back some day. Good job on the Tassie photos...they made us all homesick.:D
  • Options
    TassieDTassieD Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Hi Dave! We are former residents of Tasmania who moved to the States 3 years ago for my career. We still retain our house in Launceston, and will probably make it back some day. Good job on the Tassie photos...they made us all homesick.:D

Thanks for the comments David,

Won't have changed much down here by the time you get back.
    Cheers
    David Clifford
  • Options
    Artur C.Artur C. Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    de-lurking in progress
    Hi All,

I figured after taking photos for several years, by my lonesome... I'd get around to seeing what others are doing.

Oh yeah... a bit about me....

Name is Art short for Artur
    I'm in the Military....currently in Kuwait
    I'm 28 in 2 months (looking ahead)
    From Poland originally .... ie why the last name is abbreviated with just a C. but it does in fact end with the letters SKI
    Hometown is Duluth, MN

Joining smugmug was like impulse shopping...found it and did it.....

My smugmug page:
    http://www.north-scapes.com
  • Options
    SeattleYatesSeattleYates Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2006
    kdog wrote:
    I checked out your gallery and really like your recent work. I hadn't realized what depths you've gone to in your undersea photography (pun alert) hobby. Super stuff.

Thanks, Joel! Nice to see a familiar moniker! I guess the one thing I have in common with lots of the folks here is a hobby-bordering-on-obsession relationship with photography. My emphasis just happens to be underwater. BTW, I checked out your website, and I really like some of your stuff, too - the eagles are great, and the "humping squirrels" caught my eye as well. thumb.gif
    Bruce Yates
    Seattle, WA

Canon 5D MkII and 1Ds MkII (used mostly underwater), 1D MkIII for topside

www.UnderwaterReflections.com (my Smugmug site, customized by DGrinner jerryr)

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it. WC Fields
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2006
    Hello Alllllll
    Ok I'm new here...so I hope this post comes out. I was re-directed a couple of times, but I think I might have the hang of this posting stuff. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Just decided to de-lurk.
    I haven't been here in a few weeks so as punishment for forgetting about this wonderful place I will introduce myself. I am currently a government employee working at a military installation doing work I would prefer not to do. No, nothing of a scientific or experimental nature, just wish I was out earning a living as a photographer. (Though that may not pay so well.)

I am really don't have a specific genre that I want to do, though I am definately not interested in weddings, I have done a little landscape and wild life photography and though I think the images suck, friends and family keep oohing and aweing. I know their being nice, but it does sound funny. :):

I've just started, got the camera last December, and hope that my talent and abilities soon improve. I've given up on remebering anything so, you may have nudge me from time to time. Laughing.gif:D
  • Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2006
    May as well join the crowd...
    Since I just finished posting to the tech forum about the broken hit counters, I figure I may as well officially de-lurk also.

My name is Tim Tyson, and I've actually been with Smugmug for about a year and half now (though it sure seems longer). I've been upgrading cameras for the last several years, from a bare bones digital to my current beloved Canon digital Rebel. I feel like my ability and knowledge has grown by leaps and bounds, although I still have a long way to go, which makes this such a fascinating and fun hobby.

Most of my pictures come from my participation in an organization called the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA).

We are, for lack of a better term, "medieval recreationists", although that is somewhat misleading, since we are more about living the "Current Middle Ages" than trying to re-create any actual historical setting.

Here's a sample pic from a recent event near Richmond, Virginia so you can get a little better idea of what we do:

73224127-M.jpg

Yeah, they are trying to hit each other with sticks (actually taped pieces of rattan). There is much, much more to the SCA than just fighting, however. It just happens to be the part I enjoy the most, especially as a photographer. :D

If you're interested in learning more, please visit the link to the SCA (we have groups all across North America, as well as Europe and Australia), and feel free to visit my site for many similar pics.

It's great to be a member of the Smugmug family (except when the hit counters are broken - sigh!), and I may start visiting these boards occasionally to show you more crazy photos.

Take care, and happy picture-taking!
  • Options
    b8264db8264d Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2006
    Ursus wrote:
    Since I just finished posting to the tech forum about the broken hit counters, I figure I may as well officially de-lurk also.

I had a friend when I was in the Republic of Panama that was into the SCA. Your images are pretty good. Now I'll have to look for a local group to photograph. :):
  • Options
    cadman342001cadman342001 Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2006
    me newbie too
    Hi there everyone,

my name is andy, I currently live in NW England, UK although I am emigrating to Oz next year.

I have interest in landscapes and macros mainly and look forward to posting some shots soon although getting the house ready to sell at the mo. but do try and get out there at least once a week.

check out my gallery for my pics:

http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/cadman342001/

comments welcome

Andy
  • Options
    Eric and HelenEric and Helen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2006
    Lurkity, lurk, lurk
    Newbie here -- not a qualified lurker yet since this is my first time -- I guess I'm really a lurk virgin -- Just dropped by to see why the counters were off (I like to know how many adoring fans I have, unfortunately not as many adoring fans as some tennis pros). In any event -- I'm officially unlurking on the day I began lurking, I guess it didn't take much did it.
  • Options
    gadgetladygadgetlady Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 16, 2006
    Unlurker delurking too!
    [quote=I'm officially unlurking on the day I began lurking, I guess it didn't take much did it.[/quote]

Well, this comment pushed me into delurker status. I an not a virgin lurker, but haven't spent very much time on these boards, so here goes!

I just figured out how to customize my gallery and link it to my website, which is primarily a blog just now. You can find my photos at photos.writingtravel.com
  • Options
    jthimelljthimell Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2006
    D200 users
    ne_nau.gif
    Help! I am looking for opinions on the Nikon D200. My D70 has never skipped a beat except for 3fps which is really SLOW in sports applications. So my questions to anyone that will answer that has one, how do they like it so far? any problems? better than anticipated, etc? Thank you for letting me de-lurk.

jthimell
  • Options
    jkcashinjkcashin Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2006
    Well, I'm back... after over a year. Forgot my old login ID, but last time here I was asking for advice about the 20d... and got some great advice. Well, I have ordered myself a new 20d to replace my trusty Sony F717 (still love that thing... will keep it for camping and other situations where I don't want to risk my new cam)

So hopefully soon I will be able to post something of worth around here!

Jamie in Ottawa Canada
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2006
    jkcashin wrote:
    Well, I'm back... after over a year. Forgot my old login ID, but last time here I was asking for advice about the 20d... and got some great advice. Well, I have ordered myself a new 20d to replace my trusty Sony F717 (still love that thing... will keep it for camping and other situations where I don't want to risk my new cam)

So hopefully soon I will be able to post something of worth around here!

Jamie in Ottawa Canada

Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
    But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
    Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about.

Well the names have all changed since you hung around,
    But those dreams have remained and they're turned around.

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
    Here where we need ya (Here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot cause we've hot him on the spot, welcome back,
    Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    You just made me laugh.. about an hour after someone else told me one of my pictures sucked... Thanks, I needed it!

BTW, here's the picture that sucks:

DSC07127.sized.jpg

Jamie
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    The word sucks is a bit harsh, kind of like the word hate. Glad you laughed, your shot is on track with the latest challenge..mwink.gif I like how the brake calliper shows through the BLUR of the wheel.thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    The word sucks is a bit harsh, kind of like the word hate. Glad you laughed, your shot is on track with the latest challenge..mwink.gif I like how the brake calliper shows through the BLUR of the wheel.thumb.gif

From the movie Barfly:

Wanda: I hate people. Do you hate people?
    Henry: I don't hate people. I just like it a lot better when they're not around.

or

Wanda: I hate the police, don't you?
    Henry: I don't know, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Cool.. thanks! I haven't checked out the challenges yet... may have to wander over there too. Anyway, thanks for making me feel welcome.

jamie
  • Options
    irenelucierirenelucier Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Hey
    Hi everyone... I've really got to hand it to the people who maintain this forum, I've never before seen real help given so freely.

I've been signed up with dgrin for just over a week now, mostly just reading
    up on the customization ... again can I just say "wow" to the house pros. clap.gif

So far things have been going OK, I am *not* HTML, Java, CSS savy, more of a copy, paste & modify kind of girl. So I've been getting a little braver and trying more each day. I finally got to the point where I am going to have to ask for help (in a more appropriate thread) getting the slide show set up on my homepage. :confused

Anyway... I look forward to learning and helping out in anyway than I can.
    Irene
  • Options
    PhotoDanerPhotoDaner Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 11, 2006
    Hello everyone!

Came across the site and I love all the information on this site. I'm learning so much new stuff!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    PhotoDaner wrote:
    Hello everyone!

Came across the site and I love all the information on this site. I'm learning so much new stuff!
    wave.gif welcome :D