Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    dgh3dgh3 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 27, 2006
    Introduction
    Hello,

I got into this site from the tutorial on Dan Margulis Lab photo. I worked with a pro photog on some of my images, and I was mightily impressed! He raved about Dan's LAB book. So I have both of Dan's book coming in the next week or so.

I'm into macro/microscope photography and will be entering some images in three competitions in the next three weeks.

I used to do a lot of photography, but kind of quit and moved into fine art oil-painting, drawing, etc. But, now with digital photography I've got control without all the film hassles, and I love it.rolleyes1.gif

I do a lot of portrait and figure drawing, I taught life drawing when I was at the University of Michigan. A website with some of my art is:
    http://www.cspot.org/portfolio/ click on Browse and then on my name, David G. Harris.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited March 27, 2006
    Welcome David!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    First post
    I have been a member of smugmug since Nov 2004. This is my first time to the forum.

I have recently bought a 350D which is an intimidating commitment to my photography for me.

I want to improve both my technique and my technical capabilites, but I am having difficulty. I know I must push on....

The picture below was taken with my old fujifinepix, not to long ago. I thought it was suitable for my first.....

61252416-M.jpg boom boom!

http://www.halfpenceteddycrew.smugmug.com
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    asamuel wrote:
    I have been a member of smugmug since Nov 2004. This is my first time to the forum.

I have recently bought a 350D which is an intimidating commitment to my photography for me.

I want to improve both my technique and my technical capabilites, but I am having difficulty. I know I must push on....

The picture below was taken with my old fujifinepix, not to long ago. I thought it was suitable for my first.....

61252416-Ti.jpg boom boom!

http://www.halfpenceteddycrew.smugmug.com

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif!

Thanks for posting, and for de-lurking :D
    If you have a thirst for knowledge, then you're in the right place. Nose around the different forums, read the stickys, and then share your pics, ask your questions, and more!

Lots of good info in my sig.

wave.gif
  • Options
    nyblondienyblondie Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited March 28, 2006
    lurking
    still a real newbie to this site and taking photos..will try and post something.

(doesnt help to be computer challenged either)headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    nyblondie wrote:
    still a real newbie to this site and taking photos..will try and post something.

(doesnt help to be computer challenged either)headscratch.gif

wave.gif Welcome!
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Hello, everyone! My name is Elizabeth, and this is my first post on the forums. I'm a high school special education teacher, yearbook advisor, and photographer. I chose to use Smugmug for web fulfillment of my youth sports, portrait, and event photography image orders, as I felt the interface was much more user friendly for potential customers.
    Recently widowed, I have two sons, ages 14 and 10. Keeping up with them and my other ventures is certainly challenging!
    I've been happily addicted to photography for the past 20 years. After much trial and error with film, the switch to digital has been a godsend. I truly enjoy every minute I spend with my 20D and beloved prime lenses. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on this forum. :):
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    Hello, everyone! My name is Elizabeth, and this is my first post on the forums. I'm a high school special education teacher, yearbook advisor, and photographer. I chose to use Smugmug for web fulfillment of my youth sports, portrait, and event photography image orders, as I felt the interface was much more user friendly for potential customers.
    Recently widowed, I have two sons, ages 14 and 10. Keeping up with them and my other ventures is certainly challenging!
    I've been happily addicted to photography for the past 20 years. After much trial and error with film, the switch to digital has been a godsend. I truly enjoy every minute I spend with my 20D and beloved prime lenses. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on this forum. :):

Welcome, Liza! If you were to put your smugmug URL in your profile or your signature, we could all see what you're up to!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Thanks, David! I think I've fixed it. Most of my work is password protected, but I do have a public gallery of macro work I've done with my new 100mm lens.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    Thanks, David! I think I've fixed it. Most of my work is password protected, but I do have a public gallery of macro work I've done with my new 100mm lens.

Nice!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    nyblondienyblondie Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 3, 2006
    breakthrough
    OK , this is my attempt at "de-lurking" .My daughter told me about dgrin about three weeks ago. I just got a new digital camera and love playing with it..someday I might get brave enough to try a challenge..You are all so talented and have good ideas.
  • Options
    MyNameIsNeoMyNameIsNeo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    Having no self-portrait handy, I'm introducing myself here. I haven't been lurking, but I have been on Smugmug for about 9 months now and I love it! I started getting "serious" about photography 6 years ago and just went digital last year. Most of my work has been with subjects other than people. I love cityscapes, landscapes, and wildlife. However, last year I began a concerted effort towards developing my "people skills" and I've found that I really enjoy it. You can check out my galleries here.
    Agent Smith: Goodbye, Mr. Anderson.
    Neo: My name...is Neo!
  • Options
    ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2006
    what?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    How to post new thread?
    Hi

I would delurk but i can't find out how to post a new thread

All I can see is the reply buttons

Ahhh - I tink I have sussed it - I was trying to postsa new thread in the bugs section, you can't posta new thread ina thread right? DOH!
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Hello all,

I've been on smugmug since Jan.05, and somehow missed out on this forum so far. Glad to know that the people behind the screens are on this forum and wanted to give a thumbs up to them - smugmug's been fantastic so far thumb.gif (everytime I wished I had a particular feature, my wishes were answered within days - way to evolve guys!).

As for me - I am a Northern California resident. My smugmug mostly has travel memories: http://chandi.smugmug.com

I recently got a Sony R1, and am overwhelmed by the entire new world of photography opening up to me. At the moment, I LOVE playing with shallow depth of field, and I just can't get enough of it.

Enough words I guess, here's my intro pic and the EXIF: http://chandi.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=63495834

63495834-L-1.jpg

*EDIT* Sorry I didn't realize the thread is in sports section - I somehow was convinced this is "THE" thread to come out of lurk mode and posted what I thought was one of my better shots. And no, I don't have any sports shots (unless you consider the above snail as racing with other nearby snails :) ) Sorry again - next time I'll be more careful before vandalizing threads...
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Welcome Chandi.......really nice snail thumb.gifmight want to move it up to nature..tho headscratch.gif I was expecting something kida sporty mwink.gif

Really nice site you have there....keep up the sharing
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    johnterryjohnterry Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2006
    How about a prize for long time posters that go lurk for awhile:D
    Nice idea Andythumb.gif

hello,
    my name is john terry from montreal in canada i will like you to mail me on my private mail so we can [EMAIL="talk.owovalentineuk@yahoo.com,hope"]talk.owovalentineuk@yahoo.com,hope[/EMAIL] to hear from you soon.
    best regards
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    Liza wrote:

hello,
    m name is john terry my father is from canada and my mum is from nigeria i am intrested in makeing friend with you so pls mail me back if you are intrested on owovalentineuk@yahoo.com hope to hear from you soon,
    best regardsiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2006
    want to make friend
    PlayeTyme wrote:
    Did you see this view...

hello,
    1my name is john terry my father is from canada and my mother is from africa nigeria,i will like to make friend with you so mail me if you are intrested in makeing friend with me back hope to hear from you soon,..
    owovalentineuk@yahoo.com my mail so mail ma back if you are intrested am realy looking forward to your reply.iloveyou.gif so also tell me more about ur self ..............................i love iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif:): :): :): :): :): :): :): :): :): :): :): :): :):
    39107406-M.jpg

Officially de-lurked.

Playe
    best regards
    39107406-M.jpg

Officially de-lurked.

Playe[/quote]
  • Options
    HDVideoHDVideo Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    First SM Pic Post
    My name is Ed and I moved here from another photo host a few months ago. SM offers the best viewing experience and the most viewing options of any site I've found, and the support can't be matched!thumb.gifI'm not really a lurker, because I've only been on the forums a couple of times, but will start visiting more often. There is a wealth of information here but unfortunately, only 24 hours in a day.

I shoot mostly motorsports and here are a couple of examples.

This was one of my early attempts at photographing motorcycles on a road course.
    47029994-M.jpg

And this was from a dirt track race just last Saturday.
    64162529-M.jpg

If you enjoy motorsports photography, there are many more in the gallery link below. Please feel free to leave comments and/or critiques. I'm new at this stuff and still on the low end of a very high learning curve.
  • Options
    chandichandi Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Welcome Chandi.......really nice snail thumb.gifmight want to move it up to nature..tho headscratch.gif I was expecting something kida sporty mwink.gif

Really nice site you have there....keep up the sharing
    Thanks Scott. As for the sporty - can't you tell the snail was racing other snails around :D

Very sorry - I didn't realize that the thread is in 'sports' section. Somehow I was convinced this is 'THE' thread to come out of lurk mode and posted what I thought was one of my better shots. Sorry again for vandalizing the thread....
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2006
    Been on Smugmug for a while... but haven't participated in DG ... so I guess I'm coming out of the closet.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Here I am...I follow directions well
    Ahhhh...I've been De-Lurkified!

My name is Mike and I bought a F717 6 months ago. I just wanted a cam that could take indoor shots of my kids growing up but I found when I looked through the EVF, there's a whole world out there with a fascinating perspective.

I love to take shots of people and Infrared. I really like to see how a single shot can evoke emotion or tell a story. I've taken a couple thousand pics so far and found only a couple that really grab me. I'm still learning how to view the world in rectangles...

I'm an Electrical Engineer and really love the techie stuff but have a creative side that I express through photography, music, woodworking and cooking (yep, cooking - ever seen Food Network? Lots-o-creativity there!)

I really like how you all bend toward the creative side - I really appreciate those who push my thinking and perspective.

I've tried to attach a shot from this past weekend - I wanted to compose the shot to draw your eye to my son and get an idea that he is longing to find the hidden "treasure" scattered around the yard. I didn't want a face shot because his expression would distract from the simplicity of his mission.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin.
    I'm a Sony (F828) shooter. You'll find a few of us around here.
    Jump right in and start posting and commenting.

You might want to check this thread out.
    Here

Looks like the kids had fun hunting Easter Eggs. Mine just sat and cried.......
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Hi my name is Ryan I've been a member with smugmug since December.

I have not done alot of posting here in the forums and never posted any over my images, mainly just asking questions or just commenting on great photos I've seen here.

I love to take shots/pictures of NYC or anything in the city that I see, that catches my interest.

I am a graphic designer, thats loves photography and sometimes I get to use my photos in my work, some of my photos have been published in several books I designed. I also like to show my photos to people and I have done a couple of art shows which I enjoyed.

I want to say thank you to everyone here who has helped me out with this whole website and design thing. So far my experience here has been nice and great, hope to stay with smugmug for a while.

65263912-S.jpg
    Bigger Size

65264297-S.jpg
    Bigger Size

65264553-S.jpg

65264740-S.jpg
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    PiEpPiEp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2006
    Expression
    Hello all,

I was just reading the opening post of this thread and was wondering what I might have to add by posting a picture that really makes you 'feel' something. I mostly do dance photography and especially Latin American dancing produces some nice expression. Here's an example:

NK_Latin_2006_477_resize.jpg

I have been a latin dancer myself and pics like this give me goose bumps... how about you?

PiEp
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Recent de-lurkers! clap.gifclap.gif WELCOME and THANKS for joining the fun :D
  • Options
    SpeedyLizardSpeedyLizard Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 20, 2006
    Me No Lurk
    Consider myself officially de-lurked. :):
  • Options
    VaniaVania Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 22, 2006
    Okay, so I lurked...
    for about 30 minutes:D

Hello Everyone!wave.gif I'm a newbie at photography, purchased the Sony H1 about a month ago and I've been picture happy since then:photo Here's a photo I'd like to share
    a8dd6ed24df3a0129c4025e725e75460-.jpg

Please feel free to visit my gallery @ http://vania.zoto.com/galleries

Cheers!
    Vania
  • Options
    JustinBrownJustinBrown Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2006
    Hi, fellow Dgrinners !

Dgrin has been an excellent source of information for setting up my Smugmug website, theres some really knowledgeable and helpful people around !.

I only found the forums a few weeks ago, but already I'm impressed with the people here. I hope I can contribute whenever I can