Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    These are going to be 4x6 hand out more than business cards. Not going to get into the whole bit of it, not like I would explain it to everyone I hand it out to but, it's really all metaphorical. The card has two sides, one clean, one not so much; a lot like my self. Trying to keep with this, can anyone help?

cheap prints! almost all i shoot is racing as well, and my print prices are pretty much double everything you've got listed...AND my prices are cheaper than my local competition...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited December 29, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    cheap prints! almost all i shoot is racing as well, and my print prices are pretty much double everything you've got listed...AND my prices are cheaper than my local competition...
    You left out the part where you're better than most as well :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    You left out the part where you're better than most as well :D

Thank you!! :D
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
    Looking for a little bit of help here. I am going to be using these mainly for racing events. I am trying to keep it simple and clean but a little "edgy" or grungey.

These are going to be 4x6 hand out more than business cards. Not going to get into the whole bit of it, not like I would explain it to everyone I hand it out to but, it's really all metaphorical. The card has two sides, one clean, one not so much; a lot like my self. Trying to keep with this, can anyone help?
    It may just be me, but I look at the "grungy" side of your card, and I see sloppy. You're trying to sell your work. A sloppy card to me translates to sloppy or careless photography too. I'm sure that's not what you're trying to sell, but that's what it says to me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    It may just be me, but I look at the "grungy" side of your card, and I see sloppy. You're trying to sell your work. A sloppy card to me translates to sloppy or careless photography too. I'm sure that's not what you're trying to sell, but that's what it says to me.

--- Denise

Ok, I kind of see where you are going with that. Are you saying grungy is sloppy or just the style I used?
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
    Ok, I kind of see where you are going with that. Are you saying grungy is sloppy or just the style I used?
    The style you used on the back of the card (the price list) looks sloppy to me. Looks like you don't care. And I know that can't be true.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    The style you used on the back of the card (the price list) looks sloppy to me. Looks like you don't care. And I know that can't be true.

--- Denise

Not the picture I am trying to paint at all, you're right. I will have to work on it some more tonight, but I do appreciate your help.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Ok, I hate to put the front on again but for reference here we go.

445142966_Gjh2n-M.jpg

445733967_kXgZq-M.jpg

Hopefully this is better. It is probably closer to the look I am going for anyway.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Ok, I hate to put the front on again but for reference here we go.

Hopefully this is better. It is probably closer to the look I am going for anyway.

Better, but I don't like the angled text ("Prices will be ...") on your price page. It looks like you forgot to include it, so you just put it on the side. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Ok, no need for the back, lets see. I surely am at a loss as I only start posting after I thought I had something good. Apparently not so much. I am going to get this no matter what it takes so please bear with me. I think I like this one the best but lets see what you think.

445763364_cw2WS-M-0.jpg
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    Personally i think it will be hard to read when it is actual business card size. Black, as has been said before, for a background makes it hard for one to write extra note on the card, also.

And a clean font makes for better understanding and a cleaner (pun intended) look!

My 2¢,
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    These will be 4x6 hand outs more than a business card. But PWT on the black color. I don't think they will need to write much on there as all of the info would be covered by what I put on the card. I am also going for a clean look on the front and showing my "dirty" side on the price list side. It's really metaphorical but.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 30, 2008
    proper spelling is always a good thing also thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    Angelo wrote:
    proper spelling is always a good thing also thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

Other than that, am I getting closer?
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif

Other than that, am I getting closer?

Jamie did you count how many different fonts you're using on the face? There seems to be a lot going on without aesthetic benefit..
    Rags
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2008
    torags wrote:
    Jamie did you count how many different fonts you're using on the face? There seems to be a lot going on without aesthetic benefit..

It was three so I removed the word photographer completely. I figure 98% of the time I will have my camera with me when I hand them out.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    These will be 4x6 hand outs more than a business card. But PWT on the black color. I don't think they will need to write much on there as all of the info would be covered by what I put on the card. I am also going for a clean look on the front and showing my "dirty" side on the price list side. It's really metaphorical but.

just a thought....but if you're printing these handouts yerself, that's a LOT of black ink...
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Winterberg Photography
    Aight, this is something I just threw together in like a minute, so tell me what you think, and what needs to be improved.

I printed out a few on my home printer, and they didn't look too good, so I need advice on what to do with the font. Should I just go plain font or should I use something similar to what I have thats better than it...headscratch.gif no rush on the cards, I just thought it would be cool to have some to promote my services. :D

There are two different versions for the background. one with a picture of me, and the other kind of a weird lookin bevel indent thingme.. idk what to call it haha.

Also, this is my first business card design(s), should I be making them the 3.5x2 or should I make them bigger so that the people that make them have to shrink them a bit which would give them a better resolution I think.

Style #1

445985526_e8LyA-O.jpg

Style #2

445985524_Bn9Aw-O.jpg
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    just a thought....but if you're printing these handouts yerself, that's a LOT of black ink...

http://www.gotprint.com

I want to say that I appreciate all of the help that has been given. Everything was super helpful and I think I have something that I like now.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    Jeremy, I don't find the font you are using very easy to read at that size.
    The version with a pic of you as a background is even more difficult to read.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    Jeremy, I don't find the font you are using very easy to read at that size.
    The version with a pic of you as a background is even more difficult to read.
    Just my 2 cents,
    Caroline

I know, thats why I brought it to here so I could fix it... well I'll work on it alot today, and upload another version later... other advise would be greatly appreciated!!
    Jer
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008

Style #2

445985524_Bn9Aw-O.jpg

i say this not to offend, but just as a point...
    non-photog peoples would look at this and say....
    what a doof, he has the flash facing the wrong way....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    i say this not to offend, but just as a point...
    non-photog peoples would look at this and say....
    what a doof, he has the flash facing the wrong way....

Haha, yeah I can see that happening. I had it up because a. I needed flash, and b. I was facing into a mirror so the flash would've made it look like a myspace profile picture.

ok... here is my new VERY MUCH improved business card... let me know what cha think eh?

and since smugmug is having temporary difficulties? I'm attaching it instead of uploading it.
    Jer
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2008
    I know, thats why I brought it to here so I could fix it... well I'll work on it alot today, and upload another version later... other advise would be greatly appreciated!!
    I would loose the image of the hidden photog since it makes the card harder to read. If you want people to recognize you then include a portrait that's not covered up by text or hidden behind something.

The newer version is much better, but not the shadow in the contact area.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    Cuong wrote:
    I would loose the image of the hidden photog since it makes the card harder to read. If you want people to recognize you then include a portrait that's not covered up by text or hidden behind something.

The newer version is much better, but not the shadow in the contact area.

Cuong

how bout this? made the shadow a little lighter, moved contact info to the right.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2008
    how bout this? made the shadow a little lighter, moved contact info to the right.

Remove the shadow and the brackets. Pick a different font on your specialties. It looks too 'child-ish'....unless that's your market. I would get a 'real' e-mail address, like yourname@yourwebsite.com. When I see an e-mail from Yahoo, Gmail etc it just looks too amateur-ish.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Remove the shadow and the brackets. Pick a different font on your specialties. It looks to 'child-ish'....unless that's your market. I would get a 'real' e-mail address. When I see an e-mail from Yahoo, Gmail etc it just looks too amateur-ish.

charter.net isn't yahoo or gmail or hotmail... its an internet provider... so I'm not really sure how you're getting an unprofessional vibe from that? I could use an email from my website, but jwinterberg@winterbergphotography.com just seems a LITTLE too long to me.

but I agree with the font for the specialties, it is too childish. and I do like it without the brackets.

Heres my final version, already ordered them so ha! you can't make me change my mind now. just let me know what you think of it.

446333161_WdojJ-M.jpg
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Using any e-mail but your own domain looks unprofessional, IMO. The font looks much better though.
    Heres my final version, already ordered them so ha! you can't make me change my mind now.
    Are you still in high school by chance?

Since you already sent then to the printer...it's too late to tell you NOT to use a border around your card. Why? Because when the printer cuts them to size, they may not cut them perfectly uniform around all 4 edges.

Good luck....
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    Using any e-mail but your own domain looks unprofessional, IMO. The font looks much better though.

Are you still in high school by chance?

Since you already sent then to the printer...it's too late to tell you NOT to use a border around your card. Why? Because when the printer cuts them to size, they may not cut them perfectly uniform around all 4 edges.

Good luck....

The company that I am having them printed through (www.gotprint.com) told me to show them where to cut them at, which is what that black border is. I also gave them the PSD file, so they can adjust it how it needs to be.

Yes, I am a Senior in high school, but I dont see what that has to do with my business card.

I asked several friends (adults not kids if thats what you're thinking)that are business owners in my area, and they all said they like it more with the border.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2009
    The company that I am having them printed through (www.gotprint.com) told me to show them where to cut them at, which is what that black border is. I also gave them the PSD file, so they can adjust it how it needs to be.

Actually, you're supposed to remove the lines before you send them the file to print. Those are just guidelines for you. You might want to download their templates and they will have the guidlines set up for you already with the instructions to make sure to remove them. I also am not so sure about the PSD, I don't think they will do any adjusting for you for obvious reasons. Check out the uploading specs again to be sure.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook