Options

URGENT call for photos

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Gidday Baldy :D

Recon ya need some help from ya mates....... I was having a bobby cook (look) through me stuff, and there it was........I says to meself fair suck of the sav Skippy this is very Steve Irwin'ish rolleyes1.gif ..... Skippy (Australia) :D

LizardAttack.jpg

I personally like this one alot, for all ages and all genders, etc.

Including suits.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I personally like this one alot, for all ages and all genders, etc.

Including suits.

g

LizardAttack.jpg

"... beauty and madness." -- Richard Avedon

OK, it's out of context. But you couldn't ask for a better quotation for this picture.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    dinner at grand central terminal?
    Baldy wrote:
    Andy may shoot me dead in the street for messing with his composition and making this more pano, but the mugs are so....pano.

22372285-L.jpg
    dragon wrote:
    just get him some ribs...

well, funnily enough i dined inside this photograph tonight! i ate with a client at cipriani dolci, one of the three restaurants on the balcony in grand central...

mozzarella di bufala, with tomatoes and black olive paste
    insalate cesare
    freshly made spinach and veal ravioli
    risotto alla primavera

:food iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Upon further review, I decided this sky did more to shore up Ansel's quote:

22370021-S.jpg

than the sky in this one:

22366451-S.jpg

I'll try to find another quote for that last one.

Looks good, would ya mind dumping the "e" on the end of Lynne for me?

Dave, of course I love those two of Alaina and my darling Em. Such emotion.
  • Options
    Sheila SmartSheila Smart Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    This is my most commercial image (sold a fair few of them as prints) and you are welcome to use it. 6448233-L.jpgYou can probably use the quote of EE in my signature.
    Cheers
    Sheila
    Sheila Smart
    Canon 20D and various Ls
    Gallery: http://www.pbase.com/sheila

All the technique in the world does not compensate for the inability to notice - Elliott Erwitt
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Quote 4 u:-)
    The art of photography mostly consists of
    being in the right place at the right time
    having the right equipment and the right attitude
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    if it's not too late to submit...
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 17, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    Gidday Baldy :D

Recon ya need some help from ya mates....... I was having a bobby cook (look) through me stuff, and there it was........I says to meself fair suck of the sav Skippy this is very Steve Irwin'ish rolleyes1.gif ..... Skippy (Australia) :D

LizardAttack.jpg
    Can someone give me Skippy's name in a hurry? Deadline: 15 minutes.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Can someone give me Skippy's name in a hurry? Deadline: 15 minutes.

DONE, via pm to baldy.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    I'll give an update when I get a chance but I have a fire to put out: I placed the copyright notices too close to the bottom in the bleed/trim area (something I tell our customers to never do) so the bottoms of the letters are getting lost.

We ended up with 15 variations of photos and quotes (my goal was 20, but 15 great ones is still great). A few variations went overboard at the last minute because other smuggers felt the quote wasn't powerful enough, or I didn't have permission (didn't get Ashley permission for the edgy one 'till this a.m. 'cus she was offline yesterday), or I couldn't find the original version fast enough in your galleries, or portrait mode didn't work on so wide a mug, etc.)

Film at 11.

And THANK YOU!!!!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 20, 2005
    I just caught this thread. Very cool and nice work!

Looks like smugmug has a new marketing give-away :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    Thoughts
    I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. When first I saw the request I thought, can you imagine if someone out of the blue came on and said "Hey y'all I need some some really neat 1st rate photos to promote my business, but no money will be changing hands". rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Baldy askes and wala! (VERY DESERVINGLY) gets everyone, (including me) to contribute. In less that 24 hours he has new, original, and very high quality artwork for his project.

Amazing

I for one hope your project went well. Next time give us more time. This looked like the best contest we have had. :):

Now we'll have to listen to those few chosen ones tell us about thier damn coffee cups. :cry

Sam :D
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I would love to see what all was used.
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Hey Greap!
    I saw what looked like the finished mock-ups in Baldy's Smugmug gallery. They looked great! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I just wanted to share my thoughts on this. When first I saw the request I thought, can you imagine if someone out of the blue came on and said "Hey y'all I need some some really neat 1st rate photos to promote my business, but no money will be changing hands". rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Sam :D

Yes I can imagine the response.......

So why no payment?

SmugMug is not free and is increasing charges vastly. Run as a business, as it should be that's not a problem....

The mugs are for a business venture that unless I'm very mistaken will not be provided free. The fact that the mugs are handed out free to advertise smugmug means nothing.

Could Baldy manage to send the 'lucky' people a free mug maybe? or what about giving out a 'free' upgrade to pro-account for those used if money is so tight....

Anything as payment, rather than what looks to me like a cheap method of gaining free shots and one that from any other source would have been greeted with outright rage from more than a few......

It's always nice to help out people out but this seems strange to me...
    Dig into your pocket/business account and do this properly or lets hear why not....

Bod......
    Ranting on a Saturday morning........
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    Yes I can imagine the response.......

So why no payment?

SmugMug is not free and is increasing charges vastly. Run as a business, as it should be that's not a problem....

The mugs are for a business venture that unless I'm very mistaken will not be provided free. The fact that the mugs are handed out free to advertise smugmug means nothing.

Could Baldy manage to send the 'lucky' people a free mug maybe? or what about giving out a 'free' upgrade to pro-account for those used if money is so tight....

Anything as payment, rather than what looks to me like a cheap method of gaining free shots and one that from any other source would have been greeted with outright rage from more than a few......

It's always nice to help out people out but this seems strange to me...
    Dig into your pocket/business account and do this properly or lets hear why not....

Bod......
    Ranting on a Saturday morning........
    That seems strange to me ne_nau.gif

We all (me included) jumped on this thread when baldy 1st posted, and I don't recall anyone asking about $$. Now after the fact we should concern ouselves with some sort of payment headscratch.gif

In fact Baldy's 1st post indicated your payment :lol

JMO and 2 cents :D
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    That seems strange to me ne_nau.gif
    Does it? If thats the strangest thing you can't get your head round maybe you should get out more.
    bfjr wrote:
    We all (me included) jumped on this thread when baldy 1st posted, and I don't recall anyone asking about $$. Now after the fact we should concern ouselves with some sort of payment headscratch.gif
    Whats with all the we? I must have missed the replies from the other near 3000 members or are you talking on everyones behalf.
    As for those that offered pic's being the 'we' you can all do what you want. I'm asking why smugmug can't stretch to paying for a business product. What sort of example is that to set.
    As I offered nothing I could not care less if your paid or not I'd just be interested to hear why not.......
    "Cos Baldy's such a nice guy and lets us use 'his' forum....." Thats fine but smugmugs a business as stated many times in the don't mess with the smugmug good name type threads...

As usual, use your pic's however you want and if that's a free shot for a mug giveaway thats fine....But I'll stick with my 'Looks cheap' comment....Why? because it just does.

As for nobody asking for payment after post 1 saying 'you ain't getting one' who would want to mention it after that comment. Now after the event I'm asking why?

bfjr wrote:
    In fact Baldy's 1st post indicated your payment :lol
    I'd laugh along with you if I had the slightest idea what the joke was....ne_nau.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."

• Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    Does it? If thats the strangest thing you can't get your head round maybe you should get out more.

Whats with all the we? I must have missed the replies from the other near 3000 members or are you talking on everyones behalf.
    As for those that offered pic's being the 'we' you can all do what you want. I'm asking why smugmug can't stretch to paying for a business product. What sort of example is that to set.
    As I offered nothing I could not care less if your paid or not I'd just be interested to hear why not.......
    "Cos Baldy's such a nice guy and lets us use 'his' forum....." Thats fine but smugmugs a business as stated many times in the don't mess with the smugmug good name type threads...

As usual, use your pic's however you want and if that's a free shot for a mug giveaway thats fine....But I'll stick with my 'Looks cheap' comment....Why? because it just does.

As for nobody asking for payment after post 1 saying 'you ain't getting one' who would want to mention it after that comment. Now after the event I'm asking why?

I'd laugh along with you if I had the slightest idea what the joke was....ne_nau.gif
    Gee I guess you just straightened me out !!

Sorry, I really can't answer your question as to why no $. Don't work at Smugmug, just play here.

The "We" actually meant you and me, cause I thought for sure someone so interested in being compensated would have been one who submitted an image, go figure ??

Sorry as well about your sense of humor, or lack of it. Gotta go now and get out more.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    smugmug has a lot of different types of users. Casual users, who pay for services they use, and never look at this forum. Pro users who pay and never look at this forum. There are users that are on this forum just to share images, some just to learn about API.

There are many customers here who have a connection with the people at smugmug. They are good people, a family owned and operated business. Kind, responsive people doing their best. By being so available to their customers, they have established a relationship with many that goes beyond just providing a service. I experienced this up at Yosemite. Sure, I paid my way, but in return I got a dinner hosted by smugmug, a hat, a fleece, and the expert advice of Marc Muench, an amazing landscape photographer. All this for my $30 annual subscription. Not to mention the amazing customer service that I've had here.

smugmug is a building business that has earned the right, IMO to ask for some help from it's customers that have benefitted from their hard work. Not that you have to give them anything for free, but there's plenty of us that don't mind. If you do mind, don't participate. But there's no need to complain about it after the fact.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Feeling a bit bolshy, Bodwick? naughty.gif

Baldy made it utterly clear in his first post that there would be no money involved. Anyone who wasn't comfortable with those terms didn't have to submit anything.

Turns out a lot of people were comfortable with those terms. That's their business. Not for you or me to second guess them.

I understand that it seems odd that a business would ask for free images to promote itself. I think DavidTO did a nice job of explaining why folks who clearly understood the very issue you raise, decided to let smugmug use their images with only a credit. I might add that some of the donators are people who regularly sell their images.

As I said, that's their business, no-one else's.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    A few days ago, I just wanted to know what is wrong with my photos.

Challenges, free offers of photos. If I paid someone would they take them, other than family and friends.

I do think that is a legitimate feeling that I set myself up for. I think I can handle the challenges, if not, I will get out.

But I just cannot respond to emergency calls for photos that don't turn out to be that urgent: lots of photos poured in.

At the time of the call, it was not about the money. It still isn't. It was stated at the beginning. I just wanted to help. Set myself up for another letdown at a time I felt full of them.

Life goes on.

What was wrong with my photos? compared to say the great pros like Andy, haha, of course, I understand that.

Just ranting.

Yes, I am feeling a bit of whatever one wants to accuse me of. Now I have to hunt up Baldy's site so I can see the mockups as they played out.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Feeling a bit bolshy, Bodwick? naughty.gif

Baldy made it utterly clear in his first post that there would be no money involved. Anyone who wasn't comfortable with those terms didn't have to submit anything.

Turns out a lot of people were comfortable with those terms. That's their business. Not for you or me to second guess them.

I understand that it seems odd that a business would ask for free images to promote itself. I think DavidTO did a nice job of explaining why folks who clearly understood the very issue you raise, decided to let smugmug use their images with only a credit. I might add that some of the donators are people who regularly sell their images.

As I said, that's their business, no-one else's.

All very good points the same as DavidTO who's well constructed reply I agree with....

Yep, your right it's been a **** day....As usual tomorrow is another day I guess I need to go and have a go at Flug or Icy on AdvR rather than start trouble here.........

I'm well aware of the 'family' type site structure and as such can be called the 'wierd Uncle' that turns up at Xmas and annoys the rest of the family.....:D

Bod.....

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    Yep, your right it's been a **** day....As usual tomorrow is another day I guess I need to go and have a go at Flug or Icy on AdvR rather than start trouble here.........

Bod.....

Have a go at Icy for me, too, he deserves it. 1drink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2005
    Okay, an update:

The conference starts tonight and it's called D. It's Walt Mossberg's conference on all things digital. He's a noted Wall Street Journal columnist on technology.

It's the third year for the conference and Kodak/Ofoto was the official photo sharing site in the two previous years. They asked if we could do this on pretty short notice, but the site was the easy part. It's at:

d.smugmug.com

Strangely, the gifts were the hard part because the other companies giving gifts were pretty wealthy and well-known brands. What could we give that would stand out?

We passed a number of ideas by the show organizer and they all feel flat. Been done, etc. So I came up with the mug idea from the photos we saw come out of Yosemite. By that time, we were down to the short end of a very short wire.

The goal was 20 mug/quote combinations. It didn't turn out to be so easy and near the end of my deadline I only had 10 that really popped. So I did the quick & easy thing and plundered Andy's galleries and came up with 5 more.

Unfortunately, not all of them made the cut after we saw the production on the mugs. Some photos reproduced beautifully on white ceramic and some didn't.

So, I'm re-working some art as we speak and tonight I'll load final art for the ones that turned out to be prime-time. I suspect we'll have 12 total. Still looking for photos to go with the rest of the quotes that really moved us, so we'll need about 6 more photos in time.

Once I get the gallery of final art, I'm happy to order mugs for anyone who wants them.

Sorry about the non-payment thing. I knew that would ruffle some feathers and that's understandable. We pay for photos we use in ads, etc. But the fuse on this was too short to negotiate payments & rights, get a contract drafted and signed, etc. So we just decided to draw on passionate amateurs who wanted to see their photos on gifts. We knew it meant forgoing the photos we could have had if we paid. I tried not to put pressure on anyone who does this for a living to give us their photos for free.

All the best,
    Baldy
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2005
    Okay, here's art for the small mugs (I also did art for the large mugs in a separate gallery). We have 13 mugs and I'm still looking for photos to go with quotes like "When your mouth drops open, click the shutter." But we're finally not in a rush.

22803346-L.jpg

22803384-L.jpg

22803365-L.jpg

22803364-L-1.jpg

22803352-L.jpg

22803354-L.jpg

22803357-L.jpg

22803360-L.jpg

22803363-L.jpg

22803372-L.jpg

22803378-L.jpg

22803380-L.jpg

22803382-L.jpg

22803368-L.jpg
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Those are awesome!
    Baldy wrote:
    Okay, here's art for the small mugs
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2005
    Thanks for the update!
    I didn't make it on the mug this time.. oh well, some day:-):D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I didn't make it on the mug this time.. oh well, some day:-):D
    Nor did I. :cry

Ah well, that's what dgrin is all about, learning from the mastahs. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

I will say I tried many outstanding shots, truly great ones, including many of Andy's that just didn't work on the mugs for one reason or other, so luck played a role.

Having said that, Andy seems to be a very lucky man when it comes to this stuff...
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited May 23, 2005
    Isn't amazing how photos reproduce on various things?

A shot that is stunningly beautiful on photo paper maybe doesn't cut the
    mustard with another reproduction process or media.

Gives you a little more insight into the art director's world. Doesn't it?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2005
    Yeah, it turns out that the photos which worked best here were landscape and the more pano the better.

Also, not too much detail, because the small mugs are only 450 pixels vertically.

And, since the mug curves, it has to be compelling when you just see part of the shot, because another part isn't visible unless you rotate the mug. If Bridal Veil Falls in Yosemite makes the shot but you can't see it when you glance at the mug from some angle, that shot's toast as far as mugs go.

And there was something magic when they fit the quote perfectly. I have a collection of great shots that don't quite fit my quotes. It's painful to look at them and think there must be some quote I'm missing...