Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    markjtrickeymarkjtrickey Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    Second go around
    It's time to order more cards (I wish I could say I'm that popular, but my dog chewed most of them :D)

I made a couple changes based on previous feedback.

533162711_fawDA-XL.jpg
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    It's time to order more cards (I wish I could say I'm that popular, but my dog chewed most of them :D)

I made a couple changes based on previous feedback.

cute pup. although i think your text might be a little small and hard to read once the canvas is sized down to 2.5x3.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2009
    dangin wrote:
    cute pup. although i think your text might be a little small and hard to read once the canvas is sized down to 2.5x3.

I agree.

Doesn't really look like a business card. Looks like you threw a picture and some text and called it a business card. But of course that's my opinion.
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Although I like how you changed the location of the info... it just needs more Pazaazz to it. I'm not sure what editing program you're using. But if its photoshop, take advantage of drop shadows and beveling. they really add POP to your text.

Also I think you should add some more too it, I took the liberty of jacking your card and spicing it up a bit... take what you want, and if you want the psd or tiff file I can email it to you so you can make your own changes to it.

If you already ordered more cards, fine, next time your dog eats more of them use this as a guideline or use it completely...

Also I couldn't do anything with the text since... it wasn't really editable, so I worked around it! I can remove your image if you want, just wanted to show what it could look like with just a little more.

533503177_Hrhcn-L.jpg
    Jer
  • Options
    markjtrickeymarkjtrickey Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2009
    Hi Jeremy,

I really appreciate your help. I do use Photo Shop, but when it comes to graphics design type work I'm very much early in my learning curve. I would be grateful if you mailed the psd to mark@trickeyphotography.com.

I actually did order some already (I needed some by Friday). I ended up closer to the original design to accommodate some larger text suggested by another post. Below is what I ended up with. I may end up making a second order to accommodate some of your changes.

The psd file is here

533774711_bSViQ-XL.jpg

Thanks for you help and feedback.
  • Options
    fusionimagingfusionimaging Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2009
    hello, I was wondering if some of u guys could give me some input on what you think about my business card I just got done designing? thanks for any feedback!

GetCustomerImage.aspx?Name=104362906-E0YMESLF-AB.jpg&Unique=-504657234
    http://sharperimaging.org/

Pentax K20D | AF-360 Flash | 70-300mm f4 telephoto | 50mm f2.8 macro | 17-70mm f4 wide angle
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    hello, I was wondering if some of u guys could give me some input on what you think about my business card I just got done designing? thanks for any feedback!

First off, I don't care for the underline under your name. The whole design looks too centered for my tastes.

I'm glad you put God there though. thumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 12, 2009

Why not register your own domain and go "www.fusionimaging.com" rather than "www.fusionimaging.sumugmug.com"? A more professional looking card--and with a registered domain, you'd likely also have some number of mailboxes to go with it which helps with customer contact.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2009
    a couple of minor edits make the card a little more legible, imo.
    - Dan

• Options
    DigitizeMeDigitizeMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2009
    business card / post card
    I am just getting started. Although I use to earn extra money doing portraits. My family and former clients have encouraged me to get back to doing what I love most - "Photography" Glad to find smugmug and this site. I am considering taking the PhotoFusion workshop. Still need to find a D90 - would love to work out a trade & cash for my D60.
    This post card is a rough draft - but I plan to order post cards through Vistaprint. You can get 25-50 for free as often as you like! ;)
    www.DebraJeansPhotography.com will be up and running hopefully very soon! (If smugmugs web site templates aren't too difficult to work with) any advice on web sites appreciated!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    DigitizeMe wrote:
    I am just getting started. Although I use to earn extra money doing portraits. My family and former clients have encouraged me to get back to doing what I love most - "Photography" Glad to find smugmug and this site. I am considering taking the PhotoFusion workshop. Still need to find a D90 - would love to work out a trade & cash for my D60.
    This post card is a rough draft - but I plan to order post cards through Vistaprint. You can get 25-50 for free as often as you like! ;)
    www.DebraJeansPhotography.com will be up and running hopefully very soon! (If smugmugs web site templates aren't too difficult to work with) any advice on web sites appreciated!

I like your website 'design' better than your business card. I suggest making your business card resemble your site.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    I like your website 'design' better than your business card. I suggest making your business card resemble your site.
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Thats one thing I did with my cards. My website is white and uses some of the fonts I used... I think it does at least... but anyways it matches the "tone" of my site.

I'm in the process of redesigning my website right now, and with that, I might make new cards. Although I still have around... ohh 800+ left of the ones I'm using now... (ordered 1000 originally about 3-5 months ago)
    Jer
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2009
    Hey now! this is fun. Lots of good ones here, though I didn't go through all 149 pages of the thread!! Here is mine.

537017727_GwDD3-M.jpg
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Hey now! this is fun. Lots of good ones here, though I didn't go through all 149 pages of the thread!! Here is mine.

Hey, I didn't know you were from wisconsin! I finally found someone else on here from this cold state. I'm about 4 hours north from you.

Anyways back on topic. I would get rid of Owner - Founder... and just have Photographer or just Founder - Photographer... it seems like its too cluttered. Also I would make that a smaller font

It seems too centered... I would make the phone number, email, web address smaller font size, and move the phone number to the left and down a bit so it matches up with the email and also move the web address to the left so it all matches up...

Another thing... maybe change the font type of your info or your studio name to something different, so that its not all the same font type...

- Thats what I would do, take it or leave it... I wont be hurt lol
    Jer
  • Options
    JAMooreJAMoore Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    I'll play
    The business card and website were obviously designed at different times... perhaps one day I'll 'sync' them up.

3542696061_d7595ab5c6.jpg

The card has my name and contact info on the back. I can't stand clutter on the front - just the essentials.
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    JAMoore wrote:
    The business card and website were obviously designed at different times... perhaps one day I'll 'sync' them up.

The card has my name and contact info on the back. I can't stand clutter on the front - just the essentials.

your card actually matches your site very well, so I don't know where you're getting the not matching part from.

I like your card... simple, elegant, mini portfolio that makes viewer want to go to your site, it works. If the info on the back is anything like the front, you have yourself a high quality card.

Usually I would say change the font of your web address... but I think it looks good how it is. - great job
    Jer
  • Options
    Chris OChris O Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2009
    This is one I've been using for awhile. Making a new one now, which I'll put up later. It matched my site at the time, and I know my email isn't on it. :) I don't think it's very "photographery".
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2009
    CSwinton wrote:
    Here's the card I just made - I had them printed at overnightprints (premium cards). The front has the glossy UV finish, the back does not (so I can write on it).

Front
    518020264_iubML-M.jpg

Back
    522756139_Xu7w6-M.jpg

I like yours a lot. Good move on no gloss on the back, most people don't think about that.
  • Options
    RaymondPhotosRaymondPhotos Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    I have recently designed this business card. Comments and suggestions encouraged.

Front:

536813430_5ydbU-M.jpg

Back Option 1:

536977028_uL9aj-M.jpg

Back Option 2:

536977014_TS7pC-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    I like the second back for sure. Mixing vertical and horizontal text on one side throws it off.
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:

537017727_GwDD3-M.jpg

wayyyyy too much stuff. less is more
    remove owner-founder-photographer (they know you're a photographer
    remove www.

if they dont' figure it out from the email address, they don't need to be on the internet.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2009
    Going to re-do my card this weekend.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    i redid the back of mine.... i was feeling a little goofy handing out my previous cards to big sweaty hockey players...

all my cards are HEAVY cardstock, glossy on both sides, with rounded corners. they're so thick that i can only put about a dozen in my wallet comfortably at any given time..

still have the same front:

451505471_xRiQD-M-1.jpg

old back:

http://4theriders.smugmug.com/photos/451505541_WEYdK-M-2.jpg

new edited back:

542016838_34nM2-M.jpg
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2009
    Hey, I didn't know you were from wisconsin! I finally found someone else on here from this cold state. I'm about 4 hours north from you.
    Yes sir I am! There are a few of us here. Maybe we should form a "team wisco" thread and see who all we get? Or better yet maybe we should start a Wisconsin (I vote for Milwaukee!) smugmug user group?

Anyways back on topic. I would get rid of Owner - Founder... and just have Photographer or just Founder - Photographer... it seems like its too cluttered. Also I would make that a smaller font

It seems too centered... I would make the phone number, email, web address smaller font size, and move the phone number to the left and down a bit so it matches up with the email and also move the web address to the left so it all matches up...

Another thing... maybe change the font type of your info or your studio name to something different, so that its not all the same font type...

- Thats what I would do, take it or leave it... I wont be hurt lol
    The Mack wrote:
    wayyyyy too much stuff. less is more
    remove owner-founder-photographer (they know you're a photographer
    remove www.

if they dont' figure it out from the email address, they don't need to be on the internet.
    Thanks for the comments. The owner-founder-photographer part is because a lot of the clients I get, come to me because the big dogs in my area are companies that use contracted photographers. Then they can't get the main guy unless they spring for the super duper delux package that they can't afford. Many of these studios don't even allow the client to meet the photographer until the wedding. That statement was meant to imply a more personal approach, and let them know that I am the guy start to finish.

My goals with the card were to push my branding, tell people what I do, tell people I'm the main guy, and give the customer the means to contact me. I think the image says what I do so that and the logo are suposed to be primary focal points. V1 of this card (before I changed my business name recently) was smaller print and it was hard to read . Now that you point it out though, you guys are right that it looks quite cluttered. I'll have to think on this some more. Removing the www. is good advice, and probably going to a diferent font... I love this font and I don't often see it used but it is not the easiest to read.

thanks for the tips guys.

matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    Chris O wrote:
    This is one I've been using for awhile. Making a new one now, which I'll put up later. It matched my site at the time, and I know my email isn't on it. :) I don't think it's very "photographery".

is this on paper on plastic? tres chic if it's on plastic!
    - Dan

• Options
    edited May 21, 2009
    mmmatt wrote:
    Yes sir I am! There are a few of us here. Maybe we should form a "team wisco" thread and see who all we get? Or better yet maybe we should start a Wisconsin (I vote for Milwaukee!) smugmug user group?

Thanks for the comments. The owner-founder-photographer part is because a lot of the clients I get, come to me because the big dogs in my area are companies that use contracted photographers. Then they can't get the main guy unless they spring for the super duper delux package that they can't afford. Many of these studios don't even allow the client to meet the photographer until the wedding. That statement was meant to imply a more personal approach, and let them know that I am the guy start to finish.

My goals with the card were to push my branding, tell people what I do, tell people I'm the main guy, and give the customer the means to contact me. I think the image says what I do so that and the logo are suposed to be primary focal points. V1 of this card (before I changed my business name recently) was smaller print and it was hard to read . Now that you point it out though, you guys are right that it looks quite cluttered. I'll have to think on this some more. Removing the www. is good advice, and probably going to a diferent font... I love this font and I don't often see it used but it is not the easiest to read.

thanks for the tips guys.

matt

Ok, makes sense.
    I'd try Owner/Photographer then

But I'd remove founder.
  • Options
    filmphotofilmphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    I've read about 30 pages at the front and back of this thread and I'm afraid most of these cards are not good.

They just don't look like they've been designed by a professional - they look badly amateur. Now why, when this may be your first contact with a client, would you want to look that way?

The other thing that really baffles me is the choice of images on some of the cards. I saw one card that had a picture of a bird, a couple, a mom and a balloon - what is the photographer selling - who is their target market - birdwatchers that want family photos?

Don't misunderstand me - I can't do it either - my current cards are crap. But here's the thing - you know when you've been given a good piece of marketing stuff and when you haven't

Remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    filmphoto wrote:
    I've read about 30 pages at the front and back of this thread and I'm afraid most of these cards are not good.

They just don't look like they've been designed by a professional - they look badly amateur. Now why, when this may be your first contact with a client, would you want to look that way?

The other thing that really baffles me is the choice of images on some of the cards. I saw one card that had a picture of a bird, a couple, a mom and a balloon - what is the photographer selling - who is their target market - birdwatchers that want family photos?

Don't misunderstand me - I can't do it either - my current cards are crap. But here's the thing - you know when you've been given a good piece of marketing stuff and when you haven't

The whole purpose of this thread is to post your b-card and get feedback and suggestions for it. I really want to see your card so we can all make fun of you, like you've made fun of some people on here that are just trying to improve.if you have a problem with that, maybe yo should think twice before insulting someone. That's an even worse first impression than an alright business card.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2009
    filmphoto wrote:

big talk when you're not posting your card for us to see...
  • Options
    filmphotofilmphoto Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2009
    The Mack wrote:
    big talk when you're not posting your card for us to see...

As I say - mine is rubbish too.

When I saw this thread I thought just the inspiration I need, then I realised I should NOT be designing my own card - for the same reasons many here shouldn't. We are photographers - that does not make us designers.

I am not the right person to design my business card - and on the basis of what I've seen here it's true for many others as well.

And again, I repeat, why would you not show yourself off in the best light possible - why cheapskate on the very first thing a client will see?

This is not meant as a put-down - but rather to make us all think about our presentation - this thread did exactly that for me.