Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    JaeSenJaeSen Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I think it looks fine, although I would've changed the embossing on your signature, looks a little too "Hey guys I just bought adobe! (most people refer to photoshop as adobe when they don't know much)"

The tag line, or slogan, is kind of hard to read because of the picture being right there. Maybe its the gradient you have on it?

And I think the contact info should have a little different font than what you have, and maybe even a tad smaller?

Just my opinion - All in all I think its a good starting point, needs some work, but will be fine for now.

The contact info is 8pt. When I printed my proof before ordering it seems pretty small as it is so I didn't want to make it much smaller. What font would you suggest? I didn't want too many different fonts, I like things to coordinate. I chose Georgia and Engravers MT as the two main fonts for my business.

As for the signature, I hear what you're saying... I really wanted it to have that 3D stamped look and I wanted it to be black so had to put a little highlighting behind it in order to see it with the black background. I had played around with different options before deciding on this. I had thought about not using the beveled edge and highlighting and just making the signature silver or grey, but it looked very blah and didn't look as elegant as the black on black. What would your suggestion be for the signature?

On the tagline, I tried grey and you couldn't see it over the picture, of course black you can't see over the background... I went with the gradient look so it changes colors as the backgorund changes. It may be something I change on my next batch.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
    JaeSen
    Winnsboro, TX
    www.jaesenphotography.com
  • Options
    RoadRashRoadRash Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2009
    Here's Mine.
    Please let me know what you think......ne_nau.gif
    buscard.jpg
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    RoadRash wrote:
    Please let me know what you think......ne_nau.gif
    buscard.jpg

SQUID! mwink.gif
  • Options
    RoadRashRoadRash Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2009
    Thanks
    com3 wrote:
    SQUID! mwink.gif
    N I C E . . . Thanks for the helpful input.
    I appriciate it, makes me want to keep coming back for advice.

By the way I enjoy 4theriders.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 16, 2009
    RoadRash wrote:
    N I C E . . . Thanks for the helpful input.
    I appriciate it, makes me want to keep coming back for advice.

By the way I enjoy 4theriders.com

Don't mind Joe. He's just old and cranky lol3.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    babymelonsbabymelons Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2009
    Really like the font in this card -- what is it? Or is that hand written?
    Great Thread Ginger....I too like to see others cards never thought of starting a thread for it.

Here is mine, it too is a really bad scan of it. I need to figure out how to better use my scanner to get better results. The card looks great in person.

Anyways.....here it is...
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    babymelons wrote:
    Really like the font in this card -- what is it? Or is that hand written?

I doubt he'll see this, this was posted back in 2005. rolleyes1.gif

It's a very common font called "Scriptina".
  • Options
    CaroleHayesCaroleHayes Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I have eight cards, because I couldn't make up my mind. rolleyes1.gif

It works out though, because different people like different ones, and they're all being picked up at one point or another.... : )
    Don't cry because it's over—smile because it happened.
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    I have eight cards, because I couldn't make up my mind. rolleyes1.gif

It works out though, because different people like different ones, and they're all being picked up at one point or another.... : )

Normally I dont care for pictures on business cards, but you really pulled it off! I like all 8 of them.
    Jer
  • Options
    CaroleHayesCaroleHayes Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2009
    Normally I dont care for pictures on business cards, but you really pulled it off! I like all 8 of them.

Thanks! :sweet
    Don't cry because it's over—smile because it happened.
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    J.W.Lee PhotoJ.W.Lee Photo Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2009
    Designed and print these myself. I've made a few minor changes here and there, but it's looked pretty much the same all along. I print them on Avery linen textured, clean edge cards. I love them, and I've always gotten a comment on them when I hand them out. Click on the card to check out my site. C&C always welcome.

596557464_2ppKf-M-1.jpg

596557441_QA4Vc-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    Designed and print these myself. I've made a few minor changes here and there, but it's looked pretty much the same all along. I print them on Avery linen textured, clean edge cards. I love them, and I've always gotten a comment on them when I hand them out. Click on the card to check out my site. C&C always welcome.

I would lose the camera...it's way too distracting and very amateurish IMO. I really like the signature "graphic" but it gets lost on your business name. If you could some how separate the two, I think it would look ten times better.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    I would lose the camera...it's way too distracting and very amateurish IMO. I really like the signature "graphic" but it gets lost on your business name. If you could some how separate the two, I think it would look ten times better.

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. The signature with text over it is currently my "logo". So until I have something to replace it, I'm going to keep it that way. It matches the "logo" on my website, so I like the continuity I have with that currently. As far as the camera goes, I'm open for suggestions. The main reason I put it there is because I didn't want to have a plain card with only text on it. But I do understand what you're saying about it. Any suggestions for change? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2009
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. The signature with text over it is currently my "logo". So until I have something to replace it, I'm going to keep it that way. It matches the "logo" on my website, so I like the continuity I have with that currently. As far as the camera goes, I'm open for suggestions. The main reason I put it there is because I didn't want to have a plain card with only text on it. But I do understand what you're saying about it. Any suggestions for change? headscratch.gif

I'm all for continuity. Your card is black & white and your website logo has color. Pick one.

As far as your card, I know you think it may look boring, but I really think losing the picture will make your card look classy. As it is, it just looks amateurish. I'm also not a fan of all of that text on the back.

Is this your actual signature?
  • Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2009

what about a black matte card with white text, it looks very classy.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    what about a black matte card with white text, it looks very classy.

The only problem with that is I print these cards myself.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2009
    The only problem with that is I print these cards myself.

Well, I would get away from doing that... because the quality will go up A LOT, and over time it will save you money (ink, paper, printer, etc...) I recommend gotprint.com - you can get 1000 cards for like $13+shipping
    Jer
  • Options
    mandamanda Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    What size font do people generally use, I'm finding myself lost with the on-line printers and am worried that the screen proofs are nothing like the actual card in your hand!

I have used size 10 and 6 with avant guard font so far.

thanks Mandy
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,248 moderator
    edited July 25, 2009
    Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. The signature with text over it is currently my "logo". So until I have something to replace it, I'm going to keep it that way. It matches the "logo" on my website, so I like the continuity I have with that currently.
    I agree with Hikin' Mike. The camera in the background of your card definitely gives a non-professional look to your card. I don't think the brand of the camera you use (should) matter to your potential customers. What matters is the quality of your shots.

A plain card would be a big improvement.

--- Denise
  • Options
    bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Okay I finally took the step to create business cards. The several shoots that I have done in the past are catching up to me - people are referring me to their friends and family and everyone asks for a business card. So, I went to gotoprint.com and uploaded my card. I'm currently waiting for the online proof to show up before clicking the order button. I was going for a clean look with the intent to draw people to my site. C & C appreciated!

601241775_68ZMi-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    bobcool wrote:
    Okay I finally took the step to create business cards. The several shoots that I have done in the past are catching up to me - people are referring me to their friends and family and everyone asks for a business card. So, I went to gotoprint.com and uploaded my card. I'm currently waiting for the online proof to show up before clicking the order button. I was going for a clean look with the intent to draw people to my site. C & C appreciated!

601241775_68ZMi-M-1.jpg

I like this card Bob, nice and clean. The only thing I personnaly would change is adding a phone number or e-mail below your website, but that's just a matter of personal taste.

edit: "I was going for a clean look with the intent to draw people to my site." Just re-read this, I guess people would have to go to your site to find your contact info............
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,248 moderator
    edited July 25, 2009
    bobcool wrote:
    601241775_68ZMi-M-1.jpg
    I think it would look better if there were text only on one side of the card. I'd move the photo to one side or the other (probably to the right because of the way your model is standing, with the text on the left) , blur the background a bit more, and use bolder text.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    I think it would look better if there were text only on one side of the card. I'd move the photo to one side or the other (probably to the right because of the way your model is standing, with the text on the left) , blur the background a bit more, and use bolder text.

--- Denise

I generally don't like photo business cards. As it is right now it looks too busy. If you must use this photo, then I agree with Denise, move all of the text to the left.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    manda wrote:
    What size font do people generally use, I'm finding myself lost with the on-line printers and am worried that the screen proofs are nothing like the actual card in your hand!

I have used size 10 and 6 with avant guard font so far.

thanks Mandy

I don't go below 8pt for the contact info (e-mail/web). I use a larger font for my name.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    I think I used 6pt-8pt font on my most recent card... its really small.. as I was warned by hikin' mike... its still readable, just small.. old people would not be able to read it, but they're not my primary target demographic... so it works.
    Jer
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I've been on a redesign bug lately... which do ya'll like [yikes sorry for the hugeness]

Option 1:
    Front/Back
    verticalcardfront.gifBKMCardVerticalBack.gif

Option 2:
    BigKnuckleCards2.gif

Option 3:
    BigKnuckleCards3.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    I have two opinions of non-standard sizes. The first is they're difficult to file with other cards. That said, the odd size make them easy to find and more importantly, they stand out from others. I'd like option 1.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    squiddy wrote:
    I've been on a redesign bug lately... which do ya'll like [yikes sorry for the hugeness]

The actual brass knuckles look a little cartoony to me. Could you get a shot of some to use instead? I like the layout, though.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks for your input Ian.

I had posted them and they were huge, i had to wait for photobucket to resize. They should come out as regular business size 2 x 3.5. I've wary of the vertical cards :/

Kinkajou: I thought about using an actual photo but i don't like the idea of photos on cards. It's a personal choice for me...
    Would it look less cartoony if it was just a cutout?
  • Options
    VycorVycor Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Don't remember if i posted mine or not, can't find my own post so heres mine:

Front
    front.jpg

Back:
    back.jpg

And when i give out my business cards to firefighters/things of that nature:

front.jpg