Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    valeriecookvaleriecook Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Got it - thanks! I sent it via Digital Grin - should've looked up your regular email (:
    Nikolai wrote:
    Valerie,
    I didn't get any emails from you lately. ne_nau.gif
    However, now that I know your address, I sent an updated license to it.
    HTH
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.226 uploaded
    100% utilization of the waiting for response time during the upload.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    New experimental version 1.0.0.227 uploaded
    While 1.0.0.226 remains official public version for now, there is also experimental version 1.0.0.227. It uses 7 upload threads instead of 2, thus pretty much eliminating the dead wait time even on fastest lines.
    While peak transfer rate remains unchanged, the overall average should be improved *considerably*, especially on large batches and large files. :ivar
    Let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2009
    "Seven Dwarves" Edition
    While still in beta, it gets' "better" :-)
    Here's the a typical network utilization screenshot of the 1.0.0.228.
    Look ma, no wait periods! wings.gif
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    While still in beta, it gets' "better" :-)
    Here's the a typical network utilization screenshot of the 1.0.0.228.
    Look ma, no wait periods! wings.gif
    Kudos! Thanks for all the hard work! bowdown.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Is there a way to get Star Explorer to use a particular watermark for new albums? It defaults to "SmugMug" and it's a pain having to go to each gallery and set it properly.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Is there a way to get Star Explorer to use a particular watermark for new albums? It defaults to "SmugMug" and it's a pain having to go to each gallery and set it properly.
    Not at the moment. At some point in the future - yes.
    In the mean time - create albums via S*E; go to SM, change the Watermark; go back to S*E and proceed with Upload;
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not at the moment. At some point in the future - yes.
    In the mean time - create albums via S*E; go to SM, change the Watermark; go back to S*E and proceed with Upload;
    Thanks, I did that... it was a bit of a pain though, since SM wouldn't show me all of the empty galleries -- I added over 20 galleries in one shot. I have posted another thread asking if the default can be set on the SmugMug side. Even if there is no solution today, maybe it will end up on a list of feature requests.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks, I did that... it was a bit of a pain though, since SM wouldn't show me all of the empty galleries -- I added over 20 galleries in one shot. I have posted another thread asking if the default can be set on the SmugMug side. Even if there is no solution today, maybe it will end up on a list of feature requests.
    This is weird... I could always see all my empty galleries just fine. Never had a problem with those, since 2004... Browser issue?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Empty categories won't show until they have a gallery in them. Empty galleries do show. The only reason I know of that a gallery wouldn't show is if you didn't make it public and you aren't logged in when trying to view it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Empty categories won't show until they have a gallery in them. Empty galleries do show. The only reason I know of that a gallery wouldn't show is if you didn't make it public and you aren't logged in when trying to view it.
    That was my experience as well.
    Another thing you may wanna take advantage of is "quick settings", i.e. an ability of Sm Web UI to apply settings from one gallery to many others.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Yes, I received a pointer to the "Quick Settings" in the other thread I opened, thanks.

I'm at work and don't have S*E on this machine... can I set the theme via S*E when creating a long list of new galleries?

BTW, the conditions where I saw the incomplete list of galleries was as follows:

Category with one gallery
    That one gallery was unlisted
    I used S*E to make 28 new albums
    I could not see all of those galleries until they had pictures in them -- I could see SOME, just not all.

I was logged in, and the browser started showing all of the galleries without having to be restarted... I was logged in the whole time.

All is well at the moment, but so far SmugMug seems very light on basic functionality. It should be trivial to say, "I always want this watermark, and I always want this theme". The quick settings are a kludge IMHO that only partially helps, since I still have to go to every single gallery to change the theme unless I want SmugMug default.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    can I set the theme via S*E when creating a long list of new galleries?
    not at the moment, sorry...
    ]BTW, the conditions where I saw the incomplete list of galleries was as follows:

Category with one gallery
    That one gallery was unlisted
    I used S*E to make 28 new albums
    I could not see all of those galleries until they had pictures in them -- I could see SOME, just not all.

I was logged in, and the browser started showing all of the galleries without having to be restarted... I was logged in the whole time.
    I will check it out, but again, this is not a designed behaviour...
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    not at the moment, sorry...

I will check it out, but again, this is not a designed behaviour...
    Thanks Nikolai -- I know you can't fix strange behavior on the SmugMug end, and there is little you can do about features that are not supported in the APIs(or hackable through the APIs). I was just being complete -- I do software QA for a living and since this seems unusual I thought it worthwhile to give a detailed account while it's fresh in my mind. Also I can copy it elsewhere if there is a better place for it.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks Nikolai -- I know you can't fix strange behavior on the SmugMug end, and there is little you can do about features that are not supported in the APIs(or hackable through the APIs). I was just being complete -- I do software QA for a living and since this seems unusual I thought it worthwhile to give a detailed account while it's fresh in my mind. Also I can copy it elsewhere if there is a better place for it.
    I'm actually actively moving S*E codebase to the latest API (at least 1.2.0), so at some point those things you're asking for will be supported on S*E level... Just can't provide ETA...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    I haven't had time to read this entire thread(I'm at work), but is there an easy way to replace an image? I need to make some minor changes and re-upload; I have already posted links to some of the images, and I don't want to have to go back and fix all of the links.

Thx,

D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    I haven't had time to read this entire thread(I'm at work), but is there an easy way to replace an image? I need to make some minor changes and re-upload; I have already posted links to some of the images, and I don't want to have to go back and fix all of the links.

Thx,

D
    Yes;-)
    Set S*E to "Detect-and-replace" mode (red check on green globe) and simply upload the new copy. You can do it en masse
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes;-)
    Set S*E to "Detect-and-replace" mode (red check on green globe) and simply upload the new copy. You can do it en masse
    Cool, thanks... I just saw your message after I figured it out and tried it with 60MB of photos. thumb.gif

Now if only Smugmug wouldn't give new names to photos that are "replaced". I'll go off and post about that in the appropriate forum. rolleyes1.gif

I'm getting my head around S*E but IMHO it could benefit from something more to direct my Smiley_Signs-RTFM.gif energies at... headscratch.gif

:D
  • Options
    warfieawarfiea Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 18, 2009
    Hi! I'm really new to SmugMug, and am trying to get Star Explorer to work with Bridge in a Windows 64 bit system using PS CS4 64 bit. The application is installed in Program Files (x86). The unzipped script files were placed in Program Files (x86)\common files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS4\Adobe Bridge. That was the only location that seemed similar to the instruction, which were based on a 32 bit CS3 installation. But I can't seem to get anything to happen in Bridge.
    I was able to upload files using Send to Smugmug. Except for one file that originated as a scan and will not upload at all. All the other files, including some other scanned filea, uploaded fine. All the parameters on the failed upload file looked correct. So I have 2 problems. I would like to get SE working since it would be much more convenient and fast I'm sure. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanksheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2009
    warfiea wrote:
    Hi! I'm really new to SmugMug, and am trying to get Star Explorer to work with Bridge in a Windows 64 bit system using PS CS4 64 bit. The application is installed in Program Files (x86). The unzipped script files were placed in Program Files (x86)\common files\Adobe\Startup Scripts CS4\Adobe Bridge. That was the only location that seemed similar to the instruction, which were based on a 32 bit CS3 installation. But I can't seem to get anything to happen in Bridge.
    I was able to upload files using Send to Smugmug. Except for one file that originated as a scan and will not upload at all. All the other files, including some other scanned filea, uploaded fine. All the parameters on the failed upload file looked correct. So I have 2 problems. I would like to get SE working since it would be much more convenient and fast I'm sure. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanksheadscratch.gif
    Thank you for trying Star*Explorer!
    Adobe Script manager was changed recently, and unfortunately the old mechanism doesn't seem to work any more. ne_nau.gif
    However, drag-and-drop from Bridge to S*E works just fine, and this is by far the most convenient way to use it. "Integration" was more like a "bell and whistle", it's been limited to say the least. Drag-and-drop is the way to go (it also supports Auto Album Creation mode, which "integration" never could)
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.229 uploaded
    • 7 upload threads (zero wait on upload), aka "Seven Dwarves" edition
    • API 1.2.2 (faster)
    • JSON instead of RPC-XML (much faster housekeeping calls - like GetAlbums - due to significantly smaller payloads)
    Mind you: release version is still 1.0.0.226.
    Only use the beta if you're comfortable around computers.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 21, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    • API 1.2.2 (faster)
    • JSON instead of RPC-XML (much faster housekeeping calls - like GetAlbums - due to significantly smaller payloads)

clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    devbobo wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thanks man, I wouldn't make it without your kind support! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.230 uploaded
    Important bugfix: 229 created al albums in OTHER category (duh)
    Also: more methods moved into API 122
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.231 uploaded
    More improvements and internal cleanups.

One nice benefit of the new API: full control over Larges :-)

Reminder: it's beta, things may be rough over the edges (although I ran the full set of tests). So please keep 1.0.0.226 (release) handy just in case:-)
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.233 uploaded
    A few customers reported issues with their Pro versions, namely Sales and Image Download. Apparently side-effect of the Friday Night update. ne_nau.gif

Should be fixed now. :ivar

Warning: image level stats still do not work (API bug, image usage data reported as zeros). SM R&D has been notified. Album level data seems to be OK though
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.234 uploaded
    Stats fixed! :ivar
    Thanks David! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2009
    New BETA version 1.0.0.235 uploaded
    Info and Image download didn't always work. Fixed.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2009
    Nikolai, it just occurred to me that the bulk gallery creation in Star Explorer would really benefit from the ability to specify the nicename for the gallery, along with the typical gallery name?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Nikolai, it just occurred to me that the bulk gallery creation in Star Explorer would really benefit from the ability to specify the nicename for the gallery, along with the typical gallery name?
    John, I'm not really sure what you mean...headscratch.gif
    The only difference in bulk creation vs single creation is the lack of description (and even that is somehow is taken care of in Auto Creation)...
    So... what exactly is a "nicename"? ne_nau.gif