The coupon feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    LowTidePhotoLowTidePhoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Looking forward to them
    Andy wrote:
    Not Freudian, intentional naughty.gif

Seriously, we're gaining on it - we've got internal testing and bug fixing to do, but it's closer!

Thanks for the update, I'm looking forward to supplying coupons to my customers. Some time during this upcoming football season would be great!
    Low Tide Photography
    sports - urban - landscapes
    www.lowtidephoto.com
    andrew@lowtidephoto.com
    connecticut - maine
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Right On!
    I keep checking back here to see the status of this issue. Of course, it's not going to do me any good this football season, as I've already switched vendors because of the lack of features in this area. However, I had to renew my SM acct because I have 5 years of images hosted there that would be too much of a pain to reload to the new vendor.

I really hope that the SM solution, if and when it arrives, is a viable alternative to Exposure Manager's coupon and voucher systems. EM isn't as sexy, but as a sales tool, the functionality is there.

I hope to be back, but for now, I won't be loading any more photos for sale at SM until they resolve this satisfactorily.

I think all of us working pros that were loyal to SM over the years will be owed an apology when this finally comes out. The length of time it has taken really is inexcusable. And to deny that they've fallen down on this issue is just plain delusional. Look, when you are losing customers because you can't offer what your competitors do, you've fallen down. You may be working to get back up, albeit very slowly, but man, you have fallen down. Now man up, admit it, and make nice with all the people you've pissed off by ignoring them for years.

A lot of us want to come back, but we need to be shown some love!
    Ditto: thumb.gif Hit the nail squarely on the head... but...
    :deadhorse
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    UWsmuggerUWsmugger Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    Check out Screen Shots
    Everyone interested in coupons and packages look at these SmugMug screen shots!! Looking good and really close. thumb.gif
    clap.gifclap rolleyes1.gif :ivar wings.gif:D

I can smell the pizza in the oven.... wings.gif
    UWsmugger :thumb

Canon 7D & 20D;
  • Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    UWsmugger wrote:
    Everyone interested in coupons and packages look at these SmugMug screen shots!! Looking good and really close. thumb.gif

headscratch.gif That link was posted way back in post #203 http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1106308&postcount=203 almost four months ago! :smack
  • Options
    tmanchestertmanchester Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    UWsmugger wrote:
    clap.gifclap rolleyes1.gif :ivar wings.gif:D

I didn't see anything on vouchers/pre sales/photo credits or whatever you want to call them (credits that you sell your customers for sports/events/etc). I realize that these are only screen shots, and not a features list, but I hope they manage to work those in there when this finally gets released.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 1, 2009
    I didn't see anything on vouchers/pre sales/photo credits or whatever you want to call them (credits that you sell your customers for sports/events/etc). I realize that these are only screen shots, and not a features list, but I hope they manage to work those in there when this finally gets released.
    20090901-faq7hasuxuk7pj8c3mkhpppn4e.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:

Interesting. What is the difference between an "Amount" coupon and a "Credit"?

I would assume that in the case of an amount coupon, they could be used in a klugey way as a pre-sold voucher. For example, sell a $30 amount coupon for $20, set Maximum Uses to 1, give the customer the coupon code, and tell them it can only be used once so they won't share it. Of course the major downsides to this are having to handle the money yourself when selling the coupon, and creating unique coupon codes for individual customers.

Does a "Credit" coupon act as a real pre-sold voucher? For example, can I create a $30 credit coupon that customers can then purchase from my smugmug store for $20 without me handling the money, and then apply towards later print purchases? Oh I hope so. Then I could sell these coupons up through a certain date (like the date of a sports game) and then disable them so as to reward early shoppers.

I'm sorry if this has already been covered in this monster thread, but I'm not going to sift through 300+ posts at this point.

Thanks again for the screen shots, they are encouraging. I hope something will be working in prod by the end of this month! Soccer season you know!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2009
    Does a "Credit" coupon act as a real pre-sold voucher?
    yes, credit coupons are the same as pre-sold vouchers, gift cards, whatever you want to call them.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    yes, credit coupons are the same as pre-sold vouchers, gift cards, whatever you want to call them.
    Awesome.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
  • Options
    dmakogondmakogon Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Very cool! I believe I found the elusive bug holding off the release of the coupon feature: There's a typo on the Credit text - "its" should be "it's" .

There - that should finish up the debugging - feel free to deploy tonight. :D

David
  • Options
    bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    dmakogon wrote:
    I believe I found the elusive bug holding off the release of the coupon feature:

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the great laugh! Much needed lift of my spirits!

~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • Options
    David ManningDavid Manning Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Looks great! Can we have it by Christmas?!? deal.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    The credit in the example above has been available since long before Al Gore invented the internet! I told you they've been working on coupons for far too long!

David
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Looks great! Can we have it by Christmas?!?

Which year?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    Which year?
    rolleyes1.gif

We know they're a long time coming - but hitting the developer who is answering posts in this thread and building, coupons below the belt, is not really the answer, eh? He's working his butt off and I know for a fact he's into his 16th hour today. It's physically not possible for him to work harder or faster. So let's let him do his job, thanks :D
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

We know they're a long time coming - but hitting the developer who is answering posts in this thread and building, coupons below the belt, is not really the answer, eh? He's working his butt off and I know for a fact he's into his 16th hour today. It's physically not possible for him to work harder or faster. So let's let him do his job, thanks :D

I was simply referring to the 8/26/1009 date in the example above. I think it looks great. My Christmas question was to help with planning for 2010. As a matter of fact, I was thinking about this in the shower this morning. That is, how to issue credits and for how much. I know I've given you guys a hard time (mostly you Andy), but it's because this is a feature I've been wanting for years (not just from SM). :smooch
  • Options
    oliverbogleroliverbogler Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Referral Incentive and Coupons
    I think I read somewhere in this thread that initially only one coupon per photographer, per order is possible. Is this true of credit coupons too?

If so, can the value of the credit coupon be changed after it is issued, or is it locked?

Scenario: I give a $20 credit to an existing customer, every time they refer a new customer. The original customer wants to save their credits up to buy an expensive item (canvas print, say). I cannot issue many credit coupons, as only one can be used at a time. So can I change the value of the credit coupon as new referrals come in, or do I have to delete the old one, and reissue a new one to do this?
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2009
    I think I read somewhere in this thread that initially only one coupon per photographer, per order is possible. Is this true of credit coupons too?

If so, can the value of the credit coupon be changed after it is issued, or is it locked?

Scenario: I give a $20 credit to an existing customer, every time they refer a new customer. The original customer wants to save their credits up to buy an expensive item (canvas print, say). I cannot issue many credit coupons, as only one can be used at a time. So can I change the value of the credit coupon as new referrals come in, or do I have to delete the old one, and reissue a new one to do this?
    interesting scenario...yes, you can change the value of the coupon.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    EnitsuguaEnitsugua Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    bigwebguy wrote:
    interesting scenario...yes, you can change the value of the coupon.

Great news! Now, back to work mwink.gif Football season is upon us, and millions of clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif await you at ship time.
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Multiple coupons on one order would definitely nice to see for v2. For example, if a client wants to use a $50 credit plus a 10% off coupon you gave them. Not so important that it needs to be in the first release though.
  • Options
    zooexplorerzooexplorer Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Please get the first version out so we can figure out what we really want or need.
    All I am after is a coupon where I could just have it change the price of a print to another price I set. Yes this would be gallery specific. Example. 3x5 selling at 3.50 regular coupon makes them 2.00, while I may have the same code on an 8x10 regular 10.50 become 4.50. I would just like to make them so if I have groups who want prints but they are hesitant, I can say just type in this code and you can get them for a better price, have it be another column in the gallery pricing tables, having it be a code per gallery. Then have the individual image price be able to override and exempt some images form the coupon.

Also I would like packages, if coupons are to hard packages please. Actually packages for me are more important than a coupon code system.

But please I know its hard but make it gallery specific:cry
  • Options
    zooexplorerzooexplorer Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    Actually the developers should see if they can talk with some of the department stores computer people they deal with coupons, credits and the like all the time and they probably have some ideas that we have not though of. See if JCPenney might let you talk with their computer department or some other big retailer.
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    dmakogon wrote:
    Very cool! I believe I found the elusive bug holding off the release of the coupon feature: There's a typo on the Credit text - "its" should be "it's" .

There - that should finish up the debugging - feel free to deploy tonight. :D

David

rolleyes1.gif ya know when I pointed that out internally, the response was hardly fit for mixed company. :D
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    brjphotobrjphoto Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2009
    Nothing to say really, I just didn't want this to fall off the front page.

How's internal testing going? Is there anything to report besides "Nothing to report"?
    cabbey wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif ya know when I pointed that out internally, the response was hardly fit for mixed company. :D
  • Options
    timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    We know they're a long time coming - but hitting the developer who is answering posts in this thread and building, coupons below the belt, is not really the answer, eh? He's working his butt off and I know for a fact he's into his 16th hour today. It's physically not possible for him to work harder or faster.
    I'm curious - does SM generally have a single developer working on your various projects?
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • Options
    gphotomomgphotomom Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    I'm late to this conversation, but in case no one else has requested it I would also like the option to add a minimum purchase requirement.
  • Options
    gphotomom wrote:
    I'm late to this conversation, but in case no one else has requested it I would also like the option to add a minimum purchase requirement.

Its in there - if you go back a few pages you'll see some tantalizing screenshots of the system, and that is included. This is worth doing, as it will give you a more detailed impression of the implementation. It looks (IMHO) very thorough and well done, as all things SmugMug. And so we wait, with bated breath...
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    Hmmm. Late But Important...
    clap.gif
    gphotomom wrote:
    Now that's a very cool and important feature. (Autumn 2014?)
    bowdown.gif
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    bigwebguy wrote:

Don't want to belabor the point, but you can see minimum purchases from this screenshot from Sep 1 post by bigwebguy. Seems like it is included in the first release. When that release will be, I do not know, of course... but it'll be a happy day when it does. wings.gif
This discussion has been closed.