Options

The packages feedback thread

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Baldy wrote:
    The last screen shot was UI for the pro, this is what the customer-facing UI looks llke for selecting images, browsing galleries, adding them to the package and then to the cart.

The text is placeholder. It won't identify the print lab, for example.

568789011_PkBcr-O.png

Right now you're viewing images in a gallery (Gabe likes girls) but you see there's a button front and center to choose other galleries. Also, you can see the buttons upper right and left to expand the strip of thumbs to more than one row.

It is looking good.............BUT..............................................
    As I stated earlier (post# 99), the print vendor id needs to be nixed.....our clients should have not clue nor do they need to know who is doing the printing.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    It is looking good.............BUT..............................................
    As I stated earlier (post# 99), the print vendor id needs to be nixed.....our clients should have not clue nor do they need to know who is doing the printing.......
    Art, Baldy's post said this: "The text is placeholder. It won't identify the print lab, for example." deal.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Art, Baldy's post said this: "The text is placeholder. It won't identify the print lab, for example." deal.gif

That's very good. Thanx

Glad to see that the probs this morning got fixed.........................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    dstithdstith Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Vote - Have your voice heard!
    Pros,

Smugmug has a UserVoice page. There are categories for coupons and packages, there are only 206 votes for coupons and 151 for packages, each user can cast up to 3 votes for a single idea. Do the math, obviously, we aren't giving support to these very important ideas. Please signup, it's very fast and easy, just an email address and a user created password.

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    No offense David, but why? Andy and others have said repeatedly that coupons and packages are there number one priority. Their problem isn't that they don't know this is needed and wanted, it just isn't getting implemented. We still have no clue if this will become a reality by the end of football season, basketball season or god forbid if it will even make it for baseball season. Just for the record I did sign up for this a while back and voted.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    dstith wrote:
    Pros,

Smugmug has a UserVoice page. There are categories for coupons and packages, there are only 206 votes for coupons and 151 for packages, each user can cast up to 3 votes for a single idea. Do the math, obviously, we aren't giving support to these very important ideas. Please signup, it's very fast and easy, just an email address and a user created password.

Thanks,
    David

Packages and coupons are happening. Time to go delete those votes and put them somewhere else. Some of the most requested features on this forum have very few votes on there.

Dave
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    dstith wrote:
    Pros,

Why?

This forum already has (had) a "wishlist" thread (or several).

Now I need to sign up with a third party and fork over my already spam drenched email address to yet another reseller just to have my opinions counted?

Bull hockey.

I'll be voting alright, but with something SM pays more attention to than some voting blog.
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    mbellot wrote:
    Why?

This forum already has (had) a "wishlist" thread (or several).

Now I need to sign up with a third party and fork over my already spam drenched email address to yet another reseller just to have my opinions counted?

Bull hockey.

I'll be voting alright, but with something SM pays more attention to than some voting blog.
    You don't have to fork anything over, nor do we ever, ever, ever not in a million years spam you.

We know you want packages, use your uservoice votes for something else deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    dstith wrote:
    Pros,

Thanks,
    David
    you don't need to vote for either of these, they're well along the way.
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2009
    Another Idea for Pro Packages.
    Brown nose part:
    I've been following this thread for sometime and I can't wait until Packages - Cuopons are released. SM will do an awsome job that will sure be worth the wait.

Idea Part:
    To have the ability for our clients to change the background image. I shoot sometimes with a green screen and photoshop in the different backgrounds. For sports/school photo shoots. It would be cool if you could upload your background images, that clients could then select their own background. This way they could even do like magazine covers for sports shoots if your Client could enter ther name in a field or could use meta data the populate possible image text. This could work like the watermark works now with removing the green (setting to alpha = 0) and have your subject float on top of the different backgrounds.
    Anywho I'm sorta rambling here but I will post a more detailed example if the folks here think it would be worth it.

-David
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    dstith wrote:
    Pros,

Thanks,
    David
    bump
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    bump

See Andy's post:
    Andy wrote:
    We know you want packages, use your uservoice votes for something else deal.gif
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2009
    Is this still coming out? Do we know when?ne_nau.gif
    Yes, it's in active development right now. No, we don't publish release dates. This feature, along with coupons, is our highest priority.
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    i love smugmug BUT

[start rant]
    this topic is how old ?

this thread started in March and now it's November ?

You and us are missing alot of revenue by this project dragging on for years. This should have been done months if not years ago. I am tried of hearing it's coming and I am tired of fulfilling packages manually by taking emails and then doing the printing myself (and SM gets 0% of the revenue and I get aggravated)

[end rant]
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    i love smugmug BUT

[start rant]
    this topic is how old ?

this thread started in March and now it's November ?

You and us are missing alot of revenue by this project dragging on for years. This should have been done months if not years ago. I am tried of hearing it's coming and I am tired of fulfilling packages manually by taking emails and then doing the printing myself (and SM gets 0% of the revenue and I get aggravated)

[end rant]
    Hi Randy - do you think we don't know this? naughty.gif

We're pedaling as fast as we can. Aside from Coupons, this is our highest priority.

Thanks for your passion!
  • Options
    DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy I always assumed that coupons and packages were one and the same. Are they going to be rolled out together or are they two separate works in progress?
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Dano wrote:
    Andy I always assumed that coupons and packages were one and the same. Are they going to be rolled out together or are they two separate works in progress?

I'm not Andy, but I can paraphrase what he's said before (probably like 1000 posts ago on this thread)

2 projects, 2 sorcerers. Separate.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    termina3 wrote:
    I'm not Andy, but I can paraphrase what he's said before (probably like 1000 posts ago on this thread)

2 projects, 2 sorcerers. Separate.
    nod.gif
  • Options
    PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    Packages connected with studio software
    Andy,

Will Smug's packages be connected with any studio software, like how expressdigitals Darkroom works with photoreflect web accounts?
    -David
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    PupWeb wrote:
    Andy,

Will Smug's packages be connected with any studio software, like how expressdigitals Darkroom works with photoreflect web accounts?
    -David
    No, I'm sorry they won't.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Randy - do you think we don't know this? naughty.gif

We're pedaling as fast as we can. Aside from Coupons, this is our highest priority.

Thanks for your passion!

i have wondered all year
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    i have wondered all year
    SM already knows coupons and packages are a big deal. Complaining won't make the code roll out any faster. I decided I couldn't wait, unfortunately, and moved back to Exposure Manager. I did a track day Saturday and in my first six orders I had two people purchase a self-fulfill item (an Event CD), one take advantage of a package, and two take advantage of a multi-purchase discount (buy N number of product X and get more product X at some percentage off). Sales tools like this really can make a difference in final sales.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    holzphotoholzphoto Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2009
    if enough people, including myself, would just leave due to the coupon / packages issue, then smugmug would've had it done "ages" ago.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    mercphoto wrote:
    SM already knows coupons and packages are a big deal. Complaining won't make the code roll out any faster. I decided I couldn't wait, unfortunately, and moved back to Exposure Manager. I did a track day Saturday and in my first six orders I had two people purchase a self-fulfill item (an Event CD), one take advantage of a package, and two take advantage of a multi-purchase discount (buy N number of product X and get more product X at some percentage off). Sales tools like this really can make a difference in final sales.

i disagree !
    complaining is the only thing, other than leaving, that we can do.....and I don't believe they understand that it is a big deal or we would have seen it along time ago....
    After seeing some of the 'nice to have's' from the last release it seems that resources have not been deployed to the highest pay back project....
    I have worked in IT for 30years and it shouldn't take years to add packages, not if you have done a business case that details lost revenue
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2009
    holzphoto wrote:
    if enough people, including myself, would just leave due to the coupon / packages issue, then smugmug would've had it done "ages" ago.

sadly you are prob correct but I will not leave
    SM still has the best customer service on the planet for any business and my customers love them....i just hate the hassle of dealing with emails and doing the printing myself when my customers want to but mult prints....
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2009
    I am saddened by what looks like a pattern of promising features that don't come to pass:cry:cry:cry
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2009
    dbveto wrote:
    I am saddened by what looks like a pattern of promising features that don't come to pass:cry:cry:cry
    You base this on what, exactly? We have a 7 year record of delivering stuff our customers ask for.

We know coupons and packages are taking longer than we expected and you want.

Everyone's patience is being tried and tested. Thanks for being here and sticking with us.
  • Options
    iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    "Wholesale" pricing?
    What I would like to know, is whether or not their will be pro pricing for these packages (or the coupons) wherein we can actually turn a profit utilizing SmugMug. I recently did a photo shoot of a youth soccer league. 45 teams, roughly 480 kids. I did all of the packages through UPI, because for two 5x7s, 4 wallets and 1 photo button the cost to me was $3.96 per order plus free shipping for the entire order plus 10% off the entire cost for utilizing their software. I charged $15 and that obviously leaves a very nice profit to make it worth my while.

Now, had I self-fulfilled through SmugMug, the cost would have been $8.18 plus shipping with no discount.

I know that everyone is railing about there not being packages, but without some sort of pricing relief it won't matter, I'll still go through UPI and anyone who does any volume will continue to do so as well.

I know that I posted about this prior to this (and I'm wondering has SmugMug changed some pricing?) but really what I'm looking to find out if this is something that is even being considered at the upper level of SmugMug management. The reason being is that you're doing all this hard work on a feature that could potentially have very limited play in the marketplace when there are a number of other provides who have very easy online fulfillment services at significant discounts.

For instance, I have a credit card on file with my fulfillment service. I don't have to pay a monthly or yearly fee, nor do I have any minimums. They obviously don't have an online gallery system (which is currently what SmugMug serves for me as). It took me about an hour to place my order (and then about an hour or two to upload the files, but that time investment is well worth the return.

So I ask the community at large, do you realize that without some sort of "wholesale" style pricing, packages aren't going to be the huge party in your wallet that you seem to think it will be. Yes, you may generate more sales, and yes, it will be easier to fulfill, but you'll be leaving significant profit on the table.

ik
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
  • Options
    iklimoniklimon Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    "Wholesale" pricing on UserVoice
    I placed the same thought over on UserVoice:

http://smugmug.uservoice.com/pages/17723-smugmug/suggestions/399303-wholesale-pricing-for-pros-?ref=title

clap.gif

Please go vote! :)
    Ian Klimon
    www.klimon.com
  • Options
    Uncommon DepthUncommon Depth Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2009
    My policy for 2010 is going to be that I'm not paying for any websites besides my own, with the exception of maybe Flickr (which I haven't quite decided on yet). For photo fulfillment services there are lots of free options like Red Bubble etc.
This discussion has been closed.