Options

Show us your business Card!

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2010
    Deb, I think you misunderstand us.

First off, I dont put down other photographers because thats simply bad business. Other photographers are a main source for referrals. Even though you're in a different field of photography, you could still be a referral someday.

Why would you post your card here if you did not want advice to improve it? Our simple design suggestions are the basic guidelines for making anything pleasing to the eye. I seriously doubt you're handing these cards to the children. You're giving them to the parents, and what do they need to know? How to contact you, and where to view more of your work.

Some major things to keep in mind when designing anything is to keep everything consistant. Your business cards, need to match the look of your website. Even though you're not a pro, you need to be professional. Heck, I'm not even a pro, but all of my marketing materials, business cards, and my website match each other. I've received many comments about how professional I am, and I do believe that having a consistant brand identity has helped out greatly.

You said you don't have an editing program? Can I ask how you designed the cards in the first place if you do not have the software? When designing anything you should be using either Adobe Illustrator or InDesign, Photoshop should be avoided if at all possible. And there are many FREE tools out there you can use till you can afford the adobe versions. Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is similar to Illustrator, and GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is similar to Photoshop.

You said you have another card? Can we see it?

HTH,
    Jeremy
    Jer
  • Options
    deb22deb22 Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Deb, I think you misunderstand us.

First off, I dont put down other photographers because thats simply bad business. Other photographers are a main source for referrals. Even though you're in a different field of photography, you could still be a referral someday.

Why would you post your card here if you did not want advice to improve it? Our simple design suggestions are the basic guidelines for making anything pleasing to the eye. I seriously doubt you're handing these cards to the children. You're giving them to the parents, and what do they need to know? How to contact you, and where to view more of your work.

Some major things to keep in mind when designing anything is to keep everything consistant. Your business cards, need to match the look of your website. Even though you're not a pro, you need to be professional. Heck, I'm not even a pro, but all of my marketing materials, business cards, and my website match each other. I've received many comments about how professional I am, and I do believe that having a consistant brand identity has helped out greatly.

You said you don't have an editing program? Can I ask how you designed the cards in the first place if you do not have the software? When designing anything you should be using either Adobe Illustrator or InDesign, Photoshop should be avoided if at all possible. And there are many FREE tools out there you can use till you can afford the adobe versions. Inkscape (http://www.inkscape.org/) is similar to Illustrator, and GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) is similar to Photoshop.

You said you have another card? Can we see it?

HTH,
    Jeremy
    Jeremy I posted because I read every single 101 pages of this thread and as stated in my very first line you would see I posted this because of the idiot who smashed eveyone on this site thats why I said what i did in the first part of my post. Again I find it amazing that you would call me a liar with regards to my card and then say you are trying to HELP!! What is wrong with you and your back handed advice. YES I DO HAND THESE OUT TO CHILDREN AND ONLY CHILDREN -I DO FREE SEMINARS AT THE LARGE SPCA'S AND SCHOOLS AND NO PARENTS ARE THERE ,IT IS PART OF THEIR EDUCATION PROGRAMME TO INTRODUCE THE LOCAL CHILDREN TO THE WILDLIFE IN THE AREA AND WHAT BETTER WAY IS THERE TO KEEP THE INTEREST OF LARGE GROUPS OF YOUNG KIDS THAN TO HAVE MEGA COLOR. KNOW YOUR MARKET .What I don't understand is why you would want to see my other card if you don't believe what i'm saying anyway,that makes no sense. And NO I do not have photoshop or anything like it I paint some background with what windows provide and take some very close shots in the wild never even in my backyard. I followed those snowys for 6 months to get that close and sometimes I even use a kodak easyshare and shoot at high noon. Why would you want to impose the same rules of profestioalism and consistancy to everyone how boring would that be? Maybe I sell out at shows because I am sooo different, My brother happens to be a major computer whiz and I used his computer to put my pics on a blank card no design there. Just dragged the pics over and print, very unprofesstional but who cares. Jeremy I love a good discussion so don't think I am angry I'm not at all, I just wish you could see other peoples point of view and read their post correctly and if you don't understand or believe them why comment? I will respond if you wish to comment but lets end this right here and keep it light hearted life is to short to worry over someone elses body of work anyway. SERIOUSLY HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.:D
    COUNTRY ROADS ARE NATURES HIGHWAY. http://dafontainewildlife.com
  • Options
    rgphotorgphoto Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    Hey Deb, mind if I thow in some input?

I completely get where you're coming from about your card. Kids react better to bright colors and col pictures. It makes them more likely to put it in their pocket instead of folding it into a paper airplane. However, when they come hme and hand that card to their parents, the parents perceive it differently, and unfortunately may perceive it as unprofessional.

What if you made a card for both the parents and the kids. One side could have all the pictures you wanted on it, and this is he side you would show to the kids when you hand it to gem. The other side can be a clean cut card with all the necessary information needed.

Just a thought.

-ron
    website | blog | twitter | facebook

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

Using photography to pay for engineering school is a bad business plan.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2010
    deb22 wrote:
    Jeremy I posted because I read every single 101 pages of this thread and as stated in my very first line you would see I posted this because of the idiot who smashed eveyone on this site thats why I said what i did in the first part of my post. Again I find it amazing that you would call me a liar with regards to my card and then say you are trying to HELP!! What is wrong with you and your back handed advice. YES I DO HAND THESE OUT TO CHILDREN AND ONLY CHILDREN -I DO FREE SEMINARS AT THE LARGE SPCA'S AND SCHOOLS AND NO PARENTS ARE THERE ,IT IS PART OF THEIR EDUCATION PROGRAMME TO INTRODUCE THE LOCAL CHILDREN TO THE WILDLIFE IN THE AREA AND WHAT BETTER WAY IS THERE TO KEEP THE INTEREST OF LARGE GROUPS OF YOUNG KIDS THAN TO HAVE MEGA COLOR. KNOW YOUR MARKET .What I don't understand is why you would want to see my other card if you don't believe what i'm saying anyway,that makes no sense. And NO I do not have photoshop or anything like it I paint some background with what windows provide and take some very close shots in the wild never even in my backyard. I followed those snowys for 6 months to get that close and sometimes I even use a kodak easyshare and shoot at high noon. Why would you want to impose the same rules of profestioalism and consistancy to everyone how boring would that be? Maybe I sell out at shows because I am sooo different, My brother happens to be a major computer whiz and I used his computer to put my pics on a blank card no design there. Just dragged the pics over and print, very unprofesstional but who cares. Jeremy I love a good discussion so don't think I am angry I'm not at all, I just wish you could see other peoples point of view and read their post correctly and if you don't understand or believe them why comment? I will respond if you wish to comment but lets end this right here and keep it light hearted life is to short to worry over someone elses body of work anyway. SERIOUSLY HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND.:D
    I don't follow your logic at all, Deb. You're saying that the quality of your representation doesn't matter because it's colorful and you're giving it to kids? Really? And this is effective in the same way those red and yellow flashing WARNING! banners on websites are great marketing tools for a quality professional? No way.

There is nothing wrong with color. Put as much color as you want anywhere you want to attract whatever customers you want. But, slapping some crooked photos onto a card with multi-colored clashing text does not sell your business, guaranteed. If you are selling a lot of work you're doing it in spite of this card -- not because of it. Even kids recognize quality.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Thanks Ron
    rgphoto wrote:
    Hey Deb, mind if I thow in some input?

I completely get where you're coming from about your card. Kids react better to bright colors and col pictures. It makes them more likely to put it in their pocket instead of folding it into a paper airplane. However, when they come hme and hand that card to their parents, the parents perceive it differently, and unfortunately may perceive it as unprofessional.

What if you made a card for both the parents and the kids. One side could have all the pictures you wanted on it, and this is he side you would show to the kids when you hand it to gem. The other side can be a clean cut card with all the necessary information needed.

Ron I completely understand where every one is coming from and If I were needing or wanting more business I would probably go to more extreams to achieve that. As it is, my main aim is just education and I enjoy it and so do the kids. Most of my calls are from kids who are saving their allowance to buy a pic for their room. I also am in some prominant places in the big city and I am being 100% honest with all of you when I say I have never had a complaint or even a question about my 2 business cards. If people want the product they buy it if not they don't. I know looking at my work confuses the pros but there are a lot of people in the world and we all like different things for different reasons,and My odd work[yes I call it odd because it is so different] appeals to some and not others but it does not bother me. I also find it important to do the best I can without hiring out just to be an example to other disabled artists. My site says I only have partial use of my left hand because I don't want my clients to know I don't actually have a right side either. No one can see this because I hide it pretty well but at the same time if I am speaking with disabled people they are amazed at being able to photograph anything without arms.So it is a fine line with me as to look to professional on even a business card that I did not create gives the impression to others that I could not have done the photos either,so I do what I can even if it does not meet everyone's standards but I am o.k with that for now. I read all these forums to gain info for the future if I decide to want to go further eventually and It is always good to collect as much info as possible and use what you can and throw away what you don't need. Ron your post was instructive without being rude which is great, it is often the opposite on some posts and I always try to say the same thing online as I would to the persons face and unfortunaltley not everyone thinks that way. When you post a helpful critique you make a much better impression to all who read it and I think that is what helps further your business as I would check out your site now and I have a lot of friends who could be referred if they require your style. I would never send anyone to some of the others no matter how good their work was and that is what people who post should think about.Your comments are also your business card to a whole lot more people than you think!!!! THANKS RON AND HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND!thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2010
    Deb, I was not trying to be rude at all. I gave my opinion on what could be done to improve your card in the future. Like you said, take what you can use, and throw away the rest.

Just because you're not a pro doesn't mean its alright to be unprofessional. I have empathy for you because of your disability, but that does not exclude you from having to be professional in your actions and words.

Also, my branding advice is not boring and cookie-cutter. It's smart. Your branding needs to be unique compared to others, but it must be similar in everything your clients see. That includes children. You can use colors all you want. I finally re-branded my business a couple of months ago. Since then I've had five people contact me about shooting their wedding. That's a lot for me. Before, people would never contact me, most likely because my website and business card did not look professional - and they did not match.

I was not calling you a liar, just saying that bottom line, the children are not the ones with the money. It may be their "allowance" but, they still have to ask mom and dad if they can spend it on your work. And they have to ask if they can use the telephone to call you. (If they don't, then their parents need to work on that! ha) When I was growing up I always had to ask my parents if I could spend "my" money.

If you could not tell that my post was constructive criticism, I'm sorry. But that is what every post I have made has been.

A little internet etiquette lesson. ALL CAPS MEANS YOU'RE YELLING. Avoid that if you want your readers to think you're just trying to have a calm conversation.

And I agree with you 100% that what you say to others is like a business card. I do not regret saying a single word I have, and I know I will not lose business because of it.

Jeremy
    Jer
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2010
    Jerremy. I don't exactly know which posts of mine you are reading, I did not say some of things you are saying I said but no matter you should really reread your comments and you will see you were saying I was lying, It is stated in an insulting way but that does not mean it was not stated. Well it's been an interesting conversation anyway and I am glad to hear that your business has increased due to branding. I however as stated do not want more business at this time and will never feel the need to make anything match no matter what some pros feel. As I have said it has never been an issue with my customers and really that is all of our bottom lines.I hope you will not comment again as I won't reply to this thread anymore, not because I am angry we just reached a stalemate and all is said and done.mwink.gif
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    I think it's best we move on here. People have offered constructive criticism and there has been no progress. It's probably best to not post a business card unless you're willing to respect other people's opinions.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited March 29, 2010
    It's probably best to not post a business card unless you're willing to respect other peoples' opinions.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I am enjoying looking through the cards - all of them.

My last card was ordered from presto print when my stock ran out. The design is truly awful, even to my untutored eye. They were however cheap and my real name and phone number are both spelt correctly - which is the main thing in my business.

Next time I will keep it even simpler - just name, phone number and my web-site. Big print - times roman - so anybody can copy into their contact list with minimum effort. Who knows, should I ever start selling my services to designers they might even appreciate this minimalist approach.
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    Contact Card
    Hi folks, thought I would seek your input on my ideas for a contact card.
    First off I'm not a pro-photographer and in the main I shoot landscape & urban around my local area.
    What I'm looking to do is create a simple contact card that I can hand out if I'm asked when I'm out and about.

I thought I'd go with a design incorporating one of my portfolio shots, I currently have 3 ideas - what do people think?

#1 A well known local landmark @ dawn
    826831144_bDtW6-L.jpg

826831349_Sw7N2-L.jpg

#3 That well known local landmark again
    826831452_A2Lv4-L.jpg

TIA for all comments & advice
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2010
    AndMan wrote:
    Hi folks, thought I would seek your input on my ideas for a contact card.
    First off I'm not a pro-photographer and in the main I shoot landscape & urban around my local area.
    What I'm looking to do is create a simple contact card that I can hand out if I'm asked when I'm out and about.

I thought I'd go with a design incorporating one of my portfolio shots, I currently have 3 ideas - what do people think?

#1 A well known local landmark @ dawn
    826831144_bDtW6-L.jpg

826831349_Sw7N2-L.jpg

#3 That well known local landmark again
    826831452_A2Lv4-L.jpg

TIA for all comments & advice

I would go with #2. It's a great shot!

Nikon d700, sb-600 external flash Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM, AF NIKKOR 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 D, AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5 G, AF Promaster Macro

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:

Really? I think it's too busy. I think if this were printed, you'd have a though time reading it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2010
    I'm going to try to sell some images to motorcycle racers, here is the card I came up with.

824094858_d4526-L.jpg
  • Options
    gramps50gramps50 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:

I like #2 the best also. I can also see that maybe in printed form it may not work as well unless it was printed on photo paper. How about putting a little transparency into the backgorund to ghost it some.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Peter, I like number 2 as well. Its busy, but out of the three #2 is my fav.

Allen, I would try feathering the drop shadow on the letters. Generally shadows of objects are not harsh, they feather to nothing. thumb.gif I think you'll like it more after trying it.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Peter, I like number 2 as well. Its busy, but out of the three #2 is my fav.

Allen, I would try feathering the drop shadow on the letters. Generally shadows of objects are not harsh, they feather to nothing. thumb.gif I think you'll like it more after trying it.

I agree, in regards to both cards. As for Allen's, I love the image, but I think the drop shadow makes it a little tough to read. If you tightened up the shadow a bit, you would still gain that pop-out look, but would would be a little crisper.

• Options
    Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited April 4, 2010
    rgphoto wrote:
    As for Allen's, I love the image, but I think the drop shadow makes it a little tough to read. If you tightened up the shadow a bit, you would still gain that pop-out look, but would would be a little crisper.

Well this image has already gone to print so I will see how readable it is when they come back.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback folks.
    I have taken taken note of your comments & suggestions and worked on this now I'm actually with it (rather than @ 1am when I was finishing the originals). I have come up with some alternatives and simplified the information on them if you wouldn't mind critiquing them.

#1a - simplified details
    827325147_CTA4i-L.jpg

#2a - based on #2 but with bg @ 90%
    827325060_JDcRy-L.jpg

827325349_vfEtV-L.jpg

827324653_Fu6Gx-L.jpg

827325467_36SW5-L.jpg

827325580_VjHvv-L.jpg

TIA

Peter
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2010
    @andman
    I like the images.

I don't know exactly what you want to use the cards for - manybe to help sell a service. If that service is "landscape photos" then fair enough. Then maybe you want to title your card "Andman Landscape Photography".

If you are looking for assignments in weddings, people, sports, products or whatever, then it won't work positively.

It will work just fine when you are out and about shooting landscapes and people show interest. I am often asked and wish I had something to point them to where they could see or download the images - smugmug

I would question your choice of font. Fonts are important and tell a lot about how you see yourself and your potential customers. As a potential customer I would perceive that this font is difficult to read and so you might not care about me much. I might also think that it trends towards the superficially fancy, impractical, and dreamy which may or may not be what I want - you will deter more people than you attract, I suspect. It also jars with me with the style of your photos - those I looked at - not quite you. Not quite sure why so I will look at your photos again.

Good idea - maybe I'll do something for myself. Make a few people smile on the weekend.

Hope you don't mind my comments. Just trying to share my reaction.
  • Options
    edited April 12, 2010
    @andman
    I like the images.

I don't know exactly what you want to use the cards for - manybe to help sell a service. If that service is "landscape photos" then fair enough. Then maybe you want to title your card "Andman Landscape Photography".

If you are looking for assignments in weddings, people, sports, products or whatever, then it won't work positively.

It will work just fine when you are out and about shooting landscapes and people show interest. I am often asked and wish I had something to point them to where they could see or download the images - smugmug

I would question your choice of font. Fonts are important and tell a lot about how you see yourself and your potential customers. As a potential customer I would perceive that this font is difficult to read and so you might not care about me much. I might also think that it trends towards the superficially fancy, impractical, and dreamy which may or may not be what I want - you will deter more people than you attract, I suspect. It also jars with me with the style of your photos - those I looked at - not quite you. Not quite sure why so I will look at your photos again.

Good idea - maybe I'll do something for myself. Make a few people smile on the weekend.

Hope you don't mind my comments. Just trying to share my reaction.

I really appreciate the detailed feedback, particularly on what doesn't work for you. I'll be honest I hadn't thought overly much about the font in the terms you did, I was looking for something reminiscent of handwriting and wanted to avoid the Arial, TNR type fonts.

Since I posted this I've had a look at Moo business cards which I could do without any details on the front & the contact info on the back would be in a standard font. Given these are contact cards (I'm a long way from pro & don't shoot people/events) to hand out when asked and if I manage to put together a coffee shop exhibition I'm hoping they will garner visitors to my site.
    Peter

Facebook Fan Page

• Options
    DiverseImageDiverseImage Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    My card...
    Here is a card that I made up and currently getting printed locally. Maybe next time if try the online places everyone is talking about.
  • Options
    crystallizedcrystallized Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2010
    My First Card!
    Hoorah! I just recently launched my site and this is my first business card design. I love it! I think I'm going to create one for weddings and children/families as well =]

businesscardbe.jpg
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2010
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    The great thing about that is, you can turn it 90d CW! =D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 22, 2010
    It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I see it as a clever way to get folks to 1) remember you and 2) think about the image they're looking at. My only comment is the font color in your last name. Maybe a little darker?

I like this.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2010
    Yes I was worried about it being a little light as well but thought I was just being tough on myself, I think I'll change that =] Thank you!
  • Options
    Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    New Card
    I just made this card and want to see what everyone thinks before I order them. Thank You.

915547767_A95Z2-L.jpg
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 29, 2010
    Scott293 wrote: »
    I just made this card and want to see what everyone thinks before I order them.
    I'm always surprised when I see a smugmug url on a site where the photog is selling photos. A custom domain costs very little these days. Why not use a custom domain and an email address from that domain? It would look much more professional.

--- Denise
  • Options
    goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2010
    Scott293 wrote: »
    I just made this card and want to see what everyone thinks before I order them. Thank You.

915547767_A95Z2-L.jpg

I would have to agree with Denise about the smugmug url.......but otherwise I definitely think the card will capture peoples attention and get them to check out your site. thumb.gif