Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2012
    devbobo wrote: »
    Can you please check that the plugin and it's container folder aren't set to read-only ? or have some restriction on writing or renaming.

I'm getting almost the same errors for the same problem, and I can manually unzip the file so I don't think its a RO thing.

oh, wait. yes, it was. huh. I went to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin" and right click, properties, and yes, RO was grey-checked (meaning something was RO but not everything), so I unchecked it aand applied to all files and folders, and voila, update worked.
  • Options
    sirshannonsirshannon Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 27, 2012
    pierce wrote: »
    I went to "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin" and right click, properties, and yes, RO was grey-checked (meaning something was RO but not everything), so I unchecked it aand applied to all files and folders, and voila, update worked.

I tried this but for some reason, "read-only" was always checked. I probably tried unchecking and applying a dozen times. I eventually gave up and deleted the folder, found the .zip file for the update in my TEMP folder, unzipped it and dropped it into the correct spot manually.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2012
    yeah, thats happening here, too. very weird, none of the files in that folder are actually R/O

I'm going to try removing the plugin and installing it in a different path.
  • Options
    w3bbyw3bby Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2012
    BUG - I'm running 1.0.2.35 and enabled video uploading. The "Check Now" for updates button still is completely silent (no dialog pops) so I Don't know if this is the latest version or not. I had it set to upload 9 unique videos along with 20 photos to a new gallery I created through the plugin. It ended up uploading 4 of the videos with a duplicate of each plus a third duplicate of one more for a total of 9.

I'm assuming video upload has bugs? I will resort to the Web site for uploading videos for now.

Also, the plugin shows all 9 of my videos as "new photos to publish" so it seems to be very confused.
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 17, 2012
    w3bby wrote: »
    BUG - I'm running 1.0.2.35 and enabled video uploading. The "Check Now" for updates button still is completely silent (no dialog pops) so I Don't know if this is the latest version or not. I had it set to upload 9 unique videos along with 20 photos to a new gallery I created through the plugin. It ended up uploading 4 of the videos with a duplicate of each plus a third duplicate of one more for a total of 9.

I'm assuming video upload has bugs? I will resort to the Web site for uploading videos for now.

Also, the plugin shows all 9 of my videos as "new photos to publish" so it seems to be very confused.

Webby,

please try our latest beta for video uploading...it has some general upload improvements, but also has some additional logic to prevent uploading duplicates on subsequent publishes.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    w3bbyw3bby Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2012
    Will do - could you look into the "Check now" button and update checking in general. It should return a dialog that indicates whether an update is or is not available, but keeping silents makes it seem broken. Maybe you could include Beta updates in the return message as well, along with a link. Right now it seems to me difficult to track the latest release or beta, because I've seen links via here and via smugmug.com.
  • Options
    CUSmileCUSmile Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 20, 2012
    Questions about publishing from Lightroom
    Good Morning,

I'm new to SmugMug and have been sucessful on connecting my Lightroom 3 with SmugMug - thank you for the instructions on getting connected. However, I now have a couple questions/concerns I'm hoping you can assist me with.

1. I'm going to digress for a minute...When I tried uploading my edited photos (.jpg) under the normal upload procedures, my photos are not being loaded with my edits (i.e., color highlights, cropping, etc...).

2. When I attempt to publish from Lightroom (these same photos) it's taking about 15+ minutes to upload 5 photos and then at the end, I receive an error message saying that the photos didn't upload and I was timed out.

I'm sure this is a "newbie" mistake and I would appreciate any assistance you could provide in helping me understand these processes so I can better utilize SmugMug in the future.

Thank you!

Andy wrote: »
    Update: Latest version 1.0.2.15

[imgl]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/991139443_kHmu4-M.jpg[/imgl]

Love Lightroom? So do we. Download the latest version from Adobe and see a familiar face under Publishing Services.

If you don't see it yet, click Lightroom's Help > Check for Updates... option to get it.

Set it up and sync your account in seconds. From there you can import, organize, edit and publish to your SmugMug site... all from one place. Need help? Look here.

And it's never been a better time to be Smug: Open a new trial account through Lightroom 3 and automatically get 20% off your first year. Adobe is also sharing a sweet 15% discount for Smuggers when they purchase Lightroom 3 or any Adobe product.

Questions? Comments? Please post right here in this thread. We're watching. wave.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2012
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif
    CUSmile wrote: »
    1. I'm going to digress for a minute...When I tried uploading my edited photos (.jpg) under the normal upload procedures, my photos are not being loaded with my edits (i.e., color highlights, cropping, etc...).
    As far as I know, Lightroom doesn't actually apply those changes to your files. Just export the files to a folder on your computer and then you could use any uploader to upload your Lightroom processed photos with changes.
    2. When I attempt to publish from Lightroom (these same photos) it's taking about 15+ minutes to upload 5 photos and then at the end, I receive an error message saying that the photos didn't upload and I was timed out.
    Please contact us at our HelpDesk with details and a link to your site:
    http://help.smugmug.com/

Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    lizstabbertphotolizstabbertphoto Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2012
    Edit: Never mind, I got it sorted out. I had an outdated version of the plugin and got the latest here http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/121321-lightroom-plugin-update

I'm getting the following error when I try to create a gallery and select the Quick Settings I want "An internal error has occurred. bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

When I tried publishing the gallery it used default settings and I had to go back and change it as well as add the watermark to my images. Any way to fix this?
  • Options
    pengwinnpengwinn Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2012
    When you export from lightroom to smugmug using the smugmug plugin, what color space does it use?

I don't see an option any where to change the destination color space so I assumed it used sRGB but I had problems with the appearance of some photos when I viewed them on my work laptop. IE9 displayed them correctly but Firefox displayed everything shifted red. I thought Firefox was color managed.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    far as I know, smugmug is all sRGB as thats the standard for the web.
  • Options
    EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2012
    Edit: Never mind, I got it sorted out. I had an outdated version of the plugin and got the latest here http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/121321-lightroom-plugin-update

I'm getting the following error when I try to create a gallery and select the Quick Settings I want "An internal error has occurred. bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got nil)"

When I tried publishing the gallery it used default settings and I had to go back and change it as well as add the watermark to my images. Any way to fix this?

Hi Liz,

Do you have "sync gallery settings before edit" enabled?

20120802-8fp2pesbywafbi69x24jm53p5b.jpg

You should be able to apply quick settings and edit galleries from LR, but until we resolve this you can use a web browser to apply the quick settings to the newly created gallery before you initiate the upload from LR (that will at least save you the need to apply the watermark by hand).

You might be better raising a support ticket to allow us to investigate in more depth (help @ smugmug.com)

Barrie
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2012
    hmmm. the lightroom plugin updater is STILL not working on my 32bit XP system. log file as follows (I tried a bunch of times)

08/01/2012 23:23:36 DEBUG Logging enabled
    08/01/2012 23:23:36 DEBUG {"build":8,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:36 DEBUG {"build":12,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:36 DEBUG {"build":8,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:36 DEBUG {"build":12,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:37 DEBUG Current: 1.0.4.8
    08/01/2012 23:23:37 DEBUG {"build":12,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:37 DEBUG {"build":8,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:23:37 DEBUG New: 1.0.4.12
    08/01/2012 23:23:42 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:23:43 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:23:43 DEBUG unzip error code: 2
    08/01/2012 23:23:43 DEBUG failed
    08/01/2012 23:24:17 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:24:18 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:24:18 DEBUG unzip error code: 2
    08/01/2012 23:24:18 DEBUG failed
    08/01/2012 23:25:43 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:25:44 DEBUG D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Local Settings\Temp\SmugMug-1.0.4.12.zip
    08/01/2012 23:25:45 DEBUG unzip error code: 2
    08/01/2012 23:25:45 DEBUG failed
    08/01/2012 23:25:51 DEBUG Logging enabled
    08/01/2012 23:25:51 DEBUG {"build":8,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:25:51 DEBUG {"build":12,"major":1,"minor":0,"revision":4}
    08/01/2012 23:25:51 DEBUG Current: 1.0.4.8
    08/01/2012 23:25:51 DEBUG New: 1.0.4.12

the plugin is installed in D:\Documents and Settings\pierce\Application Data\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2012
    Pierce, can you try manually updating it following the instructions here ?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2012
    I haven't done this latest one manually yet, but all prior manual updates worked fine. but the automatic updater has never worked.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2012
    Possibly some of the files in the plug in folder have incorrect permissions / attributes (like any file set to 'read only') set that prevent LR from updating them. In your Windows Explorer, navigate to the modules folder and right-click on SmugMug.lrplugin, choose properties. In the general tab, look for the attributes. uncheck the read-only attribute and then apply. It should ask you if you wish to apply that for the files / folders within as well - confirm that.
    Then give updating another try to see if it works then.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2012
    tried that already, nope, they sure don't. if I upgrade manually, it works fine. I also tried file permissions, advanced, and set all files so my account has 'full control', still no-go, same 'unzip error code: 2'

what sort of technique/library does the plugin manager use to unzip stuff? I have 7zip as my default .zip file handler on this system, could that be conflicting somehow? I dont have winzip anymore (since it went pay-ware)
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2012
    I've sent Pierce a PM with a beta version to try with a different unzip exe...hopefully it might work a bit better.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    devbobo wrote: »
    I've sent Pierce a PM with a beta version to try with a different unzip exe...hopefully it might work a bit better.

except, it did exactly the same thing ne_nau.gif

details in PM. i'm totally confused as to why, since I can unzip the file that the updater left in Temp and it expands directly into Modules, just fine. reload and i'm live with the new version.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2012
    we figured it out. my \program files\ is on C: but my userprofile is on D: ... the code was doing a CD "userprofile" but not 'changing drive' ("D:"). this stupid annoyance has been a "feature" since MSDOS 2.0 when directories and the CD command were first introduced (PCDOS 1.x had no subdirectories).
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2012
    Aha! Thanks hanging in there, I'm glad David and you were able to work it out!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    chipjchipj Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2012
    Watermark Issue - Lightroom Plug-in settings vs. Online SmugMug Gallery settings
    There appears to be a issue/conflict with watermark settings in the Lightroom Plug-in vs. the online gallery settings in SmugMug.

If you enable watermarking for a SmugMug online gallery (via the web), then the next time you upload an image to that gallery via the Lightroom Plug-in, watermarking is also enabled in the plug-in. In essence, the watermark is embedded in the uploaded image.

The opposite is also true... if you disable watermarking in the Plug-in, then watermarking is also disabled in the online gallery settings. In essence, images in that gallery are now unprotected with a watermark.

I find this to be an issue and was wondering if others have noticed this? If so, is there a work around? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2012
    What specific setting within the plug in do you refer to? It's normal that if you turn on watermarking in the gallery settings of a gallery that this also syncs with the "edit gallery" settings for that gallery within Lightroom. Those two settings are linked.
    And with this setting, no watermark is applied to the original upon uploading. Watermarks are applied by SmugMug to display copies only.

On the other hand, if you were to enable the watermarking setting in the Lightroom publishing manager, that would make Lightroom apply a watermark to the original photo before uploading. Such watermark is not compatible with SmugMug's watermark feature and thus would be included on all prints.

I just double checked it on my account, enabling watermarking in one gallery via the browser and then publishing a photo via Lightroom to that gallery, worked as it should. Lightroom uploaded an unwatermarked original for which SmugMug added the watermark per the gallery settings to display copies of the photo. The Lightroom publishing manager watermarking setting was unaffected.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2012
    I'm using the same settings that you are to test the watermarking options, and you're right about the two being synched together. BUT this is only true if you have "Sync Gallery Settings Before Edit" enabled in the Lightroom Plug-in. I just think the watermark feature is confusing and it may not perform as one might expect.

For example, if I have "Sync Gallery Settings Before Edit" enabled in the Lightroom Plug-in, then Lightroom and SmugMug ARE (as you've stated) synched together. If I for some reason don't want that option enabled, then the settings in Lightroom and SmugMug are independent of one another and I may end up with a result I didn't expect.

This is why/how I end up with the unexpected results that I have. Having to review the watermark settings on both sides (Lightroom/SmugMug) each and every time I upload seems to be too much work to me. Maybe the "Sync Gallery Settings Before Edit" option should be available for each gallery? I don't know, I just think it could be more clear as to what the actual setting will be BEFORE uploading via Lightroom.
    What specific setting within the plug in do you refer to? It's normal that if you turn on watermarking in the gallery settings of a gallery that this also syncs with the "edit gallery" settings for that gallery within Lightroom. Those two settings are linked.
    And with this setting, no watermark is applied to the original upon uploading. Watermarks are applied by SmugMug to display copies only.

On the other hand, if you were to enable the watermarking setting in the Lightroom publishing manager, that would make Lightroom apply a watermark to the original photo before uploading. Such watermark is not compatible with SmugMug's watermark feature and thus would be included on all prints.

I just double checked it on my account, enabling watermarking in one gallery via the browser and then publishing a photo via Lightroom to that gallery, worked as it should. Lightroom uploaded an unwatermarked original for which SmugMug added the watermark per the gallery settings to display copies of the photo. The Lightroom publishing manager watermarking setting was unaffected.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    It is my understanding that the "sync gallery settings before edit" is only relevant for people that change gallery settings on SmugMug AND in Lightroom. If you do that, you should just enable the setting and then you won't have any problems.
    I can't see any good reason for you not to enable the setting IF you do change gallery settings on both ends (which not everyone does).
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2012
    I think the challenge I'm having with this setting is that for certain galleries, I want to be able to embed a watermark in the image itself. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but that's just the option I'd prefer to have. I guess I'll have to look into all of this a bit more.
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    chipj wrote: »
    I think the challenge I'm having with this setting is that for certain galleries, I want to be able to embed a watermark in the image itself. Maybe I'm being overly cautious, but that's just the option I'd prefer to have. I guess I'll have to look into all of this a bit more.
    That's not an option available on a per gallery or photo basis from within Lightroom. You can only enable that Lightroom watermark for the whole publish service and I would advise against doing that as it creates all sorts of problems if you want to order prints or offer downloads for sale.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    That's not an option available on a per gallery or photo basis from within Lightroom. You can only enable that Lightroom watermark for the whole publish service and I would advise against doing that as it creates all sorts of problems if you want to order prints or offer downloads for sale.
    Well, I'm aware of the issues... I guess that's why I'm inquiring about it. As mentioned, I don't want all the photographs on my site available for purchase. The extra protection of having an embedded watermark provides some reassurance that they won't be somehow downloaded without a watermark.

Maybe the Sync option could also be available on a individual gallery basis so that the default setting for the publish service can be overwritten if needed? Just a thought...
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    chipj wrote: »
    Well, I'm aware of the issues... I guess that's why I'm inquiring about it. As mentioned, I don't want all the photographs on my site available for purchase. The extra protection of having an embedded watermark provides some reassurance that they won't be somehow downloaded without a watermark.

Maybe the Sync option could also be available on a individual gallery basis so that the default setting for the publish service can be overwritten if needed? Just a thought...
    If you use the watermark within SmugMug, it'll watermark your display copies. The original is never watermarked by us, but you can easily (and should if you use watermarks) disable access to originals by setting 'largest size' in the gallery settings to anything else than original. That would prevent your originals from being available for viewing and thus no one could grab it without a watermark.

As far as I can tell, the watermarking setting in the SmugMug publish service is one provided by default from Lightroom and it's not something we specificially added. It's really only useful for Basic or Power users that do not have the watermarking feature of the Pro account.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2012
    [...]The original is never watermarked by us, but you can easily (and should if you use watermarks) disable access to originals by setting 'largest size' in the gallery settings to anything else than original. That would prevent your originals from being available for viewing and thus no one could grab it without a watermark.[...]
    That's certainly good to know. I would think that any display version - even the original - would be watermarked if I selected the watermark option. It's these little caveats that make me so nervous about the watermarking options. This is a prime example of why I want the original to have an embedded watermark.., so that I can protect my images against any loopholes like this one.