Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Nice weather today so I decided to wash her up and snap some pics. Let me know what you think!

What happened to the chrome around your grill? I'm personally not a fan of smoked tail lights, but with the clear turn signals up front I guess that's the only option. Other than that, I think it looks pretty damn good, especially now that you've painted that front lip.

link to my wheel image
    (Zac knows what this is for)
    http://Davidson.smugmug.com/photos/117201030-M.jpg
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2007
    What happened to the chrome around your grill? I'm personally not a fan of smoked tail lights, but with the clear turn signals up front I guess that's the only option. Other than that, I think it looks pretty damn good, especially now that you've painted that front lip.
    The grill has a shadowline cover on it.

The tails I'm still not happy with either. They are the tails off my the smurf. I was thinking of stripping the tint off the bottom off and leaving that top small section smoked.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    I think I would get standard tailllights with clear corner markers (#E34 TCLR) on bavauto.com.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    I think I would get standard tailllights with clear corner markers (#E34 TCLR) on bavauto.com.
    Like this?
    113732981-L.jpg

Or like this?
    113732202-L.jpg

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Like this?
    113732981-L.jpg

Or like this?

First one
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    First one
    Hmm that is exactly the lights that are under the tint. They are actually kinda rare and expensive. I've tried to get the tint off but its on there pretty good.

135652055-L.jpg
    Wheels+drop

• Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Hmm that is exactly the lights that are under the tint. They are actually kinda rare and expensive. I've tried to get the tint off but its on there pretty good.
    Wheels+drop

That bav auto part number I gave looks the same to me. $290.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    That bav auto part number I gave looks the same to me. $290.
    Didn't mean to say it was impossible to get, they just aren't making any more.

Mel @ abrahams sells them for $199 http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/e34.htm

cleartailss.jpg

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2007
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Didn't mean to say it was impossible to get, they just aren't making any more.

Mel @ abrahams sells them for $199 http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/e34.htm

cleartailss.jpg

So buy a set already.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    gus wrote:

Do you guys say "Willy willy" or was that part of the joke? Here it's "Willy nilly"
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2007
    Nah i can't spend my money on lights when I already have them. Maybe in the summer...

Here's some more photoshop fun :)
    135730349-L.jpg

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    Hey guys I found a good car for Marlin when he is ready trade up. mwink.gif

garfield_box_1.jpg
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2007
    Hey guys I found a good car for Marlin when he is ready trade up. mwink.gif

garfield_box_1.jpg

Some kid came into the place where I work and told me he was going to "donk" his Subaru Forester...

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Some kid came into the place where I work and told me he was going to "donk" his Subaru Forester...

And you promptly hit him with everything within reach right? People like that make me :cryheadscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifhuh. They shouldn't have licenses or they should only be allowed to own yugo's.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 14, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    to each his own. my only question: where the heck do you source those tires? eek7.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Consistently good car photos
    164 pages of posts in this thread! Holy smokes...

What magazines and publications do you guys read that show consistently good car photos? Not race cars, street cars. Stock or custom. Vintage or contemporary.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    164 pages of posts in this thread! Holy smokes...

What magazines and publications do you guys read that show consistently good car photos? Not race cars, street cars. Stock or custom. Vintage or contemporary.
    I read Car and Driver, but I think for great photos, Road and Track wins. Maybe its just the bigger more glossy pages though. ne_nau.gif

nothing else really sticks out as particulary exceptional in the photo dept.
    Erik

• Options
    raceMpower95raceMpower95 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Road & Track is great, and I like EuroTuner as well since I'm a die-hard BMW and German car enthusiast.

Off Topic: Does anyone in here think there should be a separate forum for Automotive Photography? That's primarily what I shoot, and I'd love to have a sub-forum on here specifically for that. It could be split up into Domestic, Asian-Import, European-Import, Classic, and Miscelleaneous. Who would I need to talk to in order to get that set up?
    Canon EOS 40D w/BG-E2 vertical grip
    Canon EOS 20D w/BG-E3 vertical grip
    Tokina AF 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 AT-X DX
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0
    L
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 70-200 f/4.0
    L
    Canon 580 EX II
    Alien Bee Studio Strobes w/ Cybersync Triggers + VII Powerpack
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2007
    Smoke smell in used car....
    I have been looking for a specific used car for about 4 months. I found one today, exact specs I wanted, but it was a smokers car.

The smell isnt overpowering, but it is there and the tell tale signs of a used lighter and ashtry show it was smoked in frequently.

They say no big deal (of course they do, they are selling the car) but they will put it on an "Ozone" machine overnight.

I go back and look at it tomorrow again to see if its gone.

Will this ever come out, or will get a whiff every time I drive - making the deal maddening?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:
    I have been looking for a specific used car for about 4 months. I found one today, exact specs I wanted, but it was a smokers car.

The smell isnt overpowering, but it is there and the tell tale signs of a used lighter and ashtry show it was smoked in frequently.

They say no big deal (of course they do, they are selling the car) but they will put it on an "Ozone" machine overnight.

I go back and look at it tomorrow again to see if its gone.

Will this ever come out, or will get a whiff every time I drive - making the deal maddening?

Z

Let me know how it goes. I know ways to get rid of the smell in lightly smoked in cars, but not heavily smoked in ones, but I've also never bothered with an ozone machine though I've heard they work. If it works let me know, because before putting my new interior in my car I used Lexol on it, and I now have the smell of Lexol leather conditioner (not the best smell in the world). It's getting less and less slowly, but if this ozone machine can get rid of smells in one night, I'll do it.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2007
    Road & Track is great, and I like EuroTuner as well since I'm a die-hard BMW and German car enthusiast.

Off Topic: Does anyone in here think there should be a separate forum for Automotive Photography? That's primarily what I shoot, and I'd love to have a sub-forum on here specifically for that. It could be split up into Domestic, Asian-Import, European-Import, Classic, and Miscelleaneous. Who would I need to talk to in order to get that set up?
    You could start with me. :D

Over the years, we have strived to make this a community forum, with a friendly feel. Sub-forums for every tiny little niche is something we've always avoided. Photography is photography, whether its cars or birds, to a certain extent, it shouldn't matter here.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 19, 2007
    Damn JE pistons. Second set finally got here end of Feb. Valve reliefs were wrong, sent them back since they said they would send a new set...they sent back the same set with the reliefs ground out to the point where the compression is wrong. So we're going with Mahle. JE sucks.

BTW, since I don't believe in jinxing things, how much you want to bet the Mahle pistons will be right the first time? I'm guessing they will be since Germans actually take pride in their work.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2007
    This is my ride.
    Doesn't look as good in real now due to battle injuries(In India every drive is a battle).
    Gives 50mpg city when in good mood, 40-45mpg when not.
    Highway does around 60mpg
    Top speed : 132kmph(GPS tagged), which I guess is around 82 miles/hour.
    Sips Diesel(The truck fuel, cheaper than gasoline, or petrol as it is called here)
    1400cc IDI(In direct injection) 53BHP engine.

92537195-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    Let me know how it goes. I know ways to get rid of the smell in lightly smoked in cars, but not heavily smoked in ones, but I've also never bothered with an ozone machine though I've heard they work. If it works let me know, because before putting my new interior in my car I used Lexol on it, and I now have the smell of Lexol leather conditioner (not the best smell in the world). It's getting less and less slowly, but if this ozone machine can get rid of smells in one night, I'll do it.
    Burn sandalwood incense sticks in the car with windows rolled up almost completely. Put them in a metal tray or something, don't want fires you see, or put them in a lantern or something.
    Sandalwood smoke smell will linger for quite a while and will destroy all other smells.

Sandalwood is extremely pleasing to smell, and I am yet to find anyone whi does not like the smell.

I think you will get these incense sticks in Indian stores. They will cost around 2-3$ for a pack of 20, you need to burn around 4 sticks together to for a mid sized car.

Be very careful that the ash does not drop anywhere, it will leave a mark on the upholstry, so just use a big metal utensil or a lantern.

For even better results leave the fan on in recirculation mode for some time.
    Sandalwood destroys mouldy ouders very effectively as well as other unpleasant odors.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Burn sandalwood incense sticks in the car with windows rolled up almost completely. Put them in a metal tray or something, don't want fires you see, or put them in a lantern or something.
    Sandalwood smoke smell will linger for quite a while and will destroy all other smells.

That's genius! I'll have to wait until I'm back in DC to find an Indian store (there are a few I know of in DC, in North Carolina the most Eastern thing we have is a German restaurant), but I do love the smell of Sandalwood.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2007
    That's genius! I'll have to wait until I'm back in DC to find an Indian store (there are a few I know of in DC, in North Carolina the most Eastern thing we have is a German restaurant), but I do love the smell of Sandalwood.
    Actually you get many other varieties too. Rose, Lime, Jasmine etc., etc., flowery smells. From my experience, sandalwood is something which everybody likes, about others some like and some don't.
    An interesting fact about sandalwood. A wood piece from a sandalwood tree will keep smelling nice for years.
    Keep any wood near a sandalwood piece it will also smell like sandalwood for days, this is the trick used to fool buyers into taking fake sandalwood!
    Sadly this wonderful tree is being made almost extinct by poachers!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    Finalized the purchase of a 4.0L v8 today. Woo!

• Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    antrieb wrote:
    Finalized the purchase of a 4.0L v8 today. Woo!
    Please say its a Beemer. From your gallery it looks that you have very very good taste :D.
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I'm going for a test drive in this today. I have looked at a few reviews and haven't found any big negative points.

I didn't have a car for years (motorbike only) but the irish weather got to me a couple of years ago. I still have a motorbike but am using a car for the bad weather.

Has anyone driven a celica? any negative points?

thanks,
    Séamus.