Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting

Comments

• Options
    dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Add Photos link closes down IE7 session
    Using new Windows Vista machine; I created a new gallery and when I choose the 'Add Photos' link it closes down my IE session...help!...is this a known problem with this new OS?
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    dcyphert wrote:
    Using new Windows Vista machine; I created a new gallery and when I choose the 'Add Photos' link it closes down my IE session...help!...is this a known problem with this new OS?
    It's a Java problem.

Please visit www.java.com and install the most up to date version. That should take care of things thumb.gif
  • Options
    dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    It's a Java problem.

Please visit www.java.com and install the most up to date version. That should take care of things thumb.gif

Thanks, as usual that helped...bowdown.gif
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    I logged in to my account and accessed the Control Panel.

Credit card change selected - Updated successfully.

On the breadcrumb near the top of the page (DaRPhotos > control panel > account settings) - clicked on control panel.

Scrolled to the bottom to get to the Gallery Categories.

Instead of the links for each category being something like:
    darphotos.smugmug.com/Various Places (I removed the https at the beginning)

They are: smugmug.com/Various Places

If access the control panel from my homepage, then this is not a problem.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    If access the control panel from my homepage, then this is not a problem.
    Seems fine now, I just clicked "show" to put them on the homepage, then "hide" to put them back, the links now look good thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    Perhaps I wasn't clear - it's only the links that are assigned to the categories in the Gallery Categories section of the control panel (when accessed in the manner I wrote) that are screwed up.

My website itself wasn't actually affected.

Not a major issue by any stretch. Just making a note to the powers that be...
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Perhaps I wasn't clear - it's only the links that are assigned to the categories in the Gallery Categories section of the control panel (when accessed in the manner I wrote) that are screwed up.

My website itself wasn't actually affected.

Not a major issue by any stretch. Just making a note to the powers that be...
    I got you just fine. Can you try it again, because the links are looking good to me.
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I got you just fine. Can you try it again, because the links are looking good to me.

Thanks, Andy. Here are two screen shots from this morning. Running Firefox 2.0.0.3.

149955538-L-LB.jpg

Clicking the control panel link at the top of the first image gives this.

149955485-L-LB.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Thanks, Andy. Here are two screen shots from this morning. Running Firefox 2.0.0.3.

149955538-L-LB.jpg

Clicking the control panel link at the top of the first image gives this.

149955485-L-LB.jpg
    OK - after redoing it, I see that it's a persistent bug :) Thanks, I've logged it and assigned it to an engineer to be fixed. Thanks for your persistence with me!
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    OK - after redoing it, I see that it's a persistent bug :) Thanks, I've logged it and assigned it to an engineer to be fixed. Thanks for your persistence with me!

No worries...I know its been a bad couple of days for a lot of folks here at smugmug and dgrin.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Edit captions/keywords
    Edit captions/keywords bulk saving not applying to gallery. Go back into
    edit bulk and the changes are still there. Re-clicking save multiple times has
    no effect.

Viewing photo, Smugmug style, keyword does not show, but click edit,
    under main image, and it's there. Have to hit save two or three times for
    keyword to activate. These are the KW's added in bulk.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Quick settings don't include new privacy features
    The two new settings that control Google searching and Smugmug searching don't appear to be part of quick settings. If I create a gallery and set everything the way I want it. Then, save it as a named quick settings template. Create a new gallery and assign that quick settings to it when creating it. Look at the customize options and the two new settings for Google searching and Smugmug searching (the island settings) are not set properly. Apparently these new settings are not being remembers in quick settings.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Apparently these new settings are not being remembers in quick settings.
    Did you try to create a new quick setting? I read that someone had a similar problem with photorank not being saved and solved it by creating a new preset.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2007
    Did you try to create a new quick setting? I read that someone had a similar problem with photorank not being saved and solved it by creating a new preset.

Sebastian

Yes, I created a brand new preset from a gallery that had the new privacy settings just the way I wanted them and they are not saved as part of the preset. I have to manually set the new privacy options on each gallery after I create them with the new preset.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Dennis_mucDennis_muc Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 28, 2007
    Dennis_muc wrote:
    Many thanks for the quick replies. I will give it a try on Monday and tell you how things are.
    But you may be right that our firewall block JS. In MS IE it doesn't work either.

Cheers
    Dennis

Sorry, took me a while.
    Works fine with the traditional version. The only downside is that I got used to the new version, which I like much better.
    Seems to be a problem with our firewall blocking JS because all cache clearing and so on doesn't work.

Many thanks for the explanations and support.

Dennis
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Yes, I created a brand new preset from a gallery that had the new privacy settings just the way I wanted them and they are not saved as part of the preset. I have to manually set the new privacy options on each gallery after I create them with the new preset.
    I've bugged it to the Smug Sorcerers. Will advise when we have some news. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Edit captions/keywords bulk saving not applying to gallery. Go back into
    edit bulk and the changes are still there. Re-clicking save multiple times has
    no effect.

Viewing photo, Smugmug style, keyword does not show, but click edit,
    under main image, and it's there. Have to hit save two or three times for
    keyword to activate. These are the KW's added in bulk.
    In addition, the new indexing keywords is really b0rked now.

For this file name it generated all these.

Filename: +playButton

keywords: smith smugmug desktop slideshow settings documents playbutton

I could easily delete if bulk was working, but it is not.:bash Have to do every
    photo one at a time, hit save, not once but twice to delete or change.
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Allen, let me talk to Don and figure out what is going on. We will fix it :)
    Allen wrote:

• Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    Allen, let me talk to Don and figure out what is going on. We will fix it :)
    Thanks JT
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Allen wrote:

I suspect this is related to the 500,000 images that people have changed SmugIslands settings on that we're currently plowing through.

Your changes get added to that queue, so you'll be # 500,001. :)

I expect this will change over the next few days as everyone has updated their sites and they're not piling millions of photos back into the updater queue.

I could be wrong though, it's possible there's a bug - but what you're describing was pretty thoroughly tested, and it makes sense that the queue is just behind.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    The two new settings that control Google searching and Smugmug searching don't appear to be part of quick settings. If I create a gallery and set everything the way I want it. Then, save it as a named quick settings template. Create a new gallery and assign that quick settings to it when creating it. Look at the customize options and the two new settings for Google searching and Smugmug searching (the island settings) are not set properly. Apparently these new settings are not being remembers in quick settings.
    OK we found out that templates worked if you set them for an existing gallery, but if you tried it when creating a new gallery, it didn't stick. That is fixed now, sorry for the trouble :D
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    OK we found out that templates worked if you set them for an existing gallery, but if you tried it when creating a new gallery, it didn't stick. That is fixed now, sorry for the trouble :D

Cool. Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Statistics going haywire?
    I was just on my web page looking at the statistics in the control panel and they seem to be going all over the place. Every time I refresh the page one album correctly shows its statistics and all the others say there have been no hits this month (which is not true). When I hit refresh again a different album has its statistics, but only one at a time ever. Is there some sort of update going on that's causing this? It's always worked fine before.

Ernie
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    keywords added from smugmug uploader
    On a completely separate topic, I just joined smugmug recently, but have tons of pictures I've been uploading from iPhoto. My process is to do all the geotagging, keywording, and commenting in iPhoto, and then use smugmug uploader to dump the entire album into the corresponding album in smugmug. This process works great with only a couple small hitches. One is that the uploader crashes every once in a while and then I have to create a new temp album with the remaining pictures and continue uploading from there. I'm using version 2.0 so I figure it will probably be more stable in the next release after 2.11 (I'm avoiding 2.11 because of the going into the wrong album problems).

My other problem is with keywords. It brings across the keywords from iPhoto with no problem (although there seems to be a significant lag to adding them), but it comma-separates them. If I then want to add an additional keyword using the Bulk editor in smugmug, it space-separates the new word. smugmug interprets this as a single joined word (apparently if you have comma-separation you don't need quotes for multiple words). So I have no way of bulk adding additional keywords after the fact. I think this is a bug although I suppose it could be considered that I'm asking for a new feature to support this.

Hope this didn't ramble too much.

Thanks.

Ernie
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    epetti wrote:
    On a completely separate topic, I just joined smugmug recently, but have tons of pictures I've been uploading from iPhoto. My process is to do all the geotagging, keywording, and commenting in iPhoto, and then use smugmug uploader to dump the entire album into the corresponding album in smugmug. This process works great with only a couple small hitches. One is that the uploader crashes every once in a while and then I have to create a new temp album with the remaining pictures and continue uploading from there. I'm using version 2.0 so I figure it will probably be more stable in the next release after 2.11 (I'm avoiding 2.11 because of the going into the wrong album problems).

My other problem is with keywords. It brings across the keywords from iPhoto with no problem (although there seems to be a significant lag to adding them), but it comma-separates them. If I then want to add an additional keyword using the Bulk editor in smugmug, it space-separates the new word. smugmug interprets this as a single joined word (apparently if you have comma-separation you don't need quotes for multiple words). So I have no way of bulk adding additional keywords after the fact. I think this is a bug although I suppose it could be considered that I'm asking for a new feature to support this.

Hope this didn't ramble too much.

Thanks.

Ernie
    Hi Ernie, add the new keywords inside quotes using our bulk tool - let us know?
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Ernie, add the new keywords inside quotes using our bulk tool - let us know?

Right now I'm getting such slow updates on keywords that it's a little hard to test for sure. I believe I tested that originally and it gave me some odd result like adding the quotes to the keyword itself. When I tested right now it is not adding it at all, but I'll check back a little later to confirm the behavior I was seeing before.

Ernie
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2007
    epetti wrote:
    Right now I'm getting such slow updates on keywords that it's a little hard to test for sure. I believe I tested that originally and it gave me some odd result like adding the quotes to the keyword itself. When I tested right now it is not adding it at all, but I'll check back a little later to confirm the behavior I was seeing before.

Ernie
    That did work. So it looks like all keywords added after the fact need to be in quotes. That works since it's rare that I need to add anything in smugmug, but it would be a nice-to-have that it could detect commas or at least let you specify that as an option, and add it that way. Or conversely if when it imported them from the smugmug uploader it added them in space-separated.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 31, 2007
    smuggy seems to be crawling this morning. everything OK?
  • Options
    oxy8384oxy8384 Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We have a new method for you to report bugs, easier for us to track, easier for you to search. We've soft-launched our new Wiki which includes a public Bug Reporter where you can report bugs as you find them.

How should we fill in the milestone, assigned-to, priority, and severity fields? A little documentation with some basic guidelines would probably really cut down on the amount of time you need to spend re-assigning and re-prioritizing things. I'd feel better if I thought my ratings matched your expectations.
    (Less scolding and all that. ;^) )

Thanks,

Bill
  • Options
    simplykristisimplykristi Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I uploaded some pics and noticed that hey are in the Inquyeue status. Is there a slow upload to SmugMug this evening? I just got home earlier this evening from a weekend at the lake and wanted to upload some pics.
This discussion has been closed.