Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Thanks for the smoothie suggestions! They sound good. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use frozen greens. rolleyes1.gif Now it sounds a bit easier.

I'm aware of the necessity to use flax seeds as soon as you crush them, but Mike's "(uh, no)" comment about using oil makes me ??? I was under the impression that if you get unrefined, cold-pressed oils in brown glass (no light) and keep it refrigerated and use it quickly then it was good stuff. Am I missing something? Is it just the idea of putting oil in the smoothie that turned you off (Mike) or is it something else?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Thanks for the smoothie suggestions! They sound good. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to use frozen greens. rolleyes1.gif Now it sounds a bit easier.

I'm aware of the necessity to use flax seeds as soon as you crush them, but Mike's "(uh, no)" comment about using oil makes me ??? I was under the impression that if you get unrefined, cold-pressed oils in brown glass (no light) and keep it refrigerated and use it quickly then it was good stuff. Am I missing something? Is it just the idea of putting oil in the smoothie that turned you off (Mike) or is it something else?
    Oils aren't whole foods. If you're using flax oil, you're missing out on some very important parts of the flax seeds. Plus you're increasing the calories dramatically. So you're cutting down on nutrition and increasing calories, thus my "Uh, no" comment.

Hope that helps.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    ttorres33ttorres33 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I've been drinking smoothies every morning for breakfast. They usually consist of:

- fresh banana
    - frozen strawberries
    - frozen berry mix
    - frozen mangos
    - frozen peaches
    - frozen pineapples
    - 1/2 cup of pomegranate lemonade or fresh lemon juice
    - handful of fresh spinach

If I have it on hand I use the Odwalla Pomengranate Lemonade. It doesn't have any sugar added, but it does have pomegranate juice from concentrate - so if you are particular about that you might want to skip it. I like that it gives the smoothie a nice tart flavor. But I have found that fresh lemon juice is a good substitute.

I don't always use all the different types of frozen fruit. I'll mix it up for variety. But I end up with roughly a 16 oz smoothie which is a perfect breakfast for me.

Teresa

P.S. After 4 and 1/2 weeks I've lost 12 lbs and feel great!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Oils aren't whole foods. If you're using flax oil, you're missing out on some very important parts of the flax seeds. Plus you're increasing the calories dramatically. So you're cutting down on nutrition and increasing calories, thus my "Uh, no" comment.

Hope that helps.

Ahh...getting the macronutrients but missing the micronutrients. I guess if people are using the oils as supplements in order to get something good in, then they're better than nothing. But if you're trying to eat whole foods anyway, then the oils aren't such a big deal. Makes sense.
    Elaine

• Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    ttorres33 wrote:
    I've been drinking smoothies every morning for breakfast. They usually consist of:

- fresh banana
    - frozen strawberries
    - frozen berry mix
    - frozen mangos
    - frozen peaches
    - frozen pineapples
    - 1/2 cup of pomegranate lemonade or fresh lemon juice
    - handful of fresh spinach

If I have it on hand I use the Odwalla Pomengranate Lemonade. It doesn't have any sugar added, but it does have pomegranate juice from concentrate - so if you are particular about that you might want to skip it. I like that it gives the smoothie a nice tart flavor. But I have found that fresh lemon juice is a good substitute.

I don't always use all the different types of frozen fruit. I'll mix it up for variety. But I end up with roughly a 16 oz smoothie which is a perfect breakfast for me.

Teresa

P.S. After 4 and 1/2 weeks I've lost 12 lbs and feel great!

Thanks for sharing these tips and ideas. And congratulations on your 12 pounds lost! That's super duper! clap.gif
    Elaine

• Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    Dinner tonight
    This was a big hit at Easter dinner this past year, and has become a bit of a tradition for family gatherings. My family downs this, so I usually double it, but one batch is enough for me and my husband for several meals. thumb.gif

Red Lentil Curry

2 c. lentils
    1 large onion (white or yellow)
    1 tsp. canola oil
    2-4 TBS red Thai curry paste, to taste
    1 TBS curry powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp minced fresh ginger
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes (or more!)
    1 8 oz can of tomato sauce (or you can use tomato paste + water)

Rinse the lentils well, until the water runs clear. This will keep them from getting scummy when you cook them.

Put lentils in a saucepan with enough water to cover them. Put a lid on it and simmer until lentils taste done (should be "al dente" not mushy and it takes somewhere around 20 minutes) . You can add more water along the way if you need to.

While the lentils are cooking, chop your onion and saute it in the oil until it starts to carmelize a bit.

While the onion is sizzling in the pan, combine all your spices in a bowl. Add them to the onion and saute them for a couple of minutes. They'll get all stuck to the pan and smell really good. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce and stir so the spices get unstuck from the pan. Simmer until lentils are ready.

Drain any excess liquid from the lentils (there won't be much) and stir 'em into the flavorful tomato/onion/spices mixture.

Enjoy! Eat this with a spoon, over brown rice, or wrapped up in a whole grain tortilla. It's great leftover so I make enough for several lunches. :D

In case you're wondering about red Thai curry paste, it's inexpensive and you can buy a little can of it or a tub of it and keep it in your fridge. This is our favorite brand: http://www.amazon.com/Mae-Ploy-Thai-Curry-Paste/dp/B000EI2LLO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/103-7253709-9847838?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1194577455&sr=8-4

One word of caution: This can be a pretty spicy dish, so add a bit less of the curry paste to start out with. If you over-do it on the spice, add some more tomatoes or tomato sauce to mellow it back out.

-Anne
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Roasted Squash with Chili Lime Vinegrette
    Recipe
    We used butternut, not acorn squash - still really good!!

We've made this twice now, and it is sublime! Served tonight with 'ricibici', our affectionate name for rice and beans, and sauted red peppers & onions. As well, my hubby sauted chicken thighs (boneless skinless) for everyone else. No need for that on my plate (have been 'off the wagon' since the shootout, especially for evening meals) but I'm climbing back on!!!
    About to go in the oven:
    219832344-M.jpg
    Ready to serve:
    219832837-M.jpg
    Ready to enjoy:
    219833310-M.jpg
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    We used butternut, not acorn squash - still really good!!

Just pulled a butternut out of the oven! But it's going into a curried squash soup with roasted garlic and onion.... :ivar
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    ear.gifear.gif Sounds good - recipe?

We have a 'version' of mulligatawny bubbling away right now (minus chicken or chicken stock - veg stock and no coconut milk either) - but I think I just saw the dh put kidney beans into itne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    Beth and I found the best vegan cook book. The recipes are all so easy and they only take around 30 mins to an hour to do start to cleanup and they're delicious! Check it out (picture is a link to amazon) thumb.gif

41E5X6KM60L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I wish I had this book in my pre-vegan days. All you meat eaters should look into this one too. The food is truly delicious and easy to make, so what if it doesn't have meat.

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Beth and I found the best vegan cook book. The recipes are all so easy and they only take around 30 mins to an hour to do start to cleanup and they're delicious! Check it out (picture is a link to amazon) thumb.gif

41E5X6KM60L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

I wish I had this book in my pre-vegan days. All you meat eaters should look into this one too. The food is truly delicious and easy to make, so what if it doesn't have meat.

Are there pictures? My wife like cookbooks with pictures. ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Are there pictures? My wife like cookbooks with pictures. ear.gif
    nope :( Just delicious goodness thumb.gif

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited November 21, 2007
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Peanut Butter On Your Keyboard....
    Great way to start a Monday morning....I brought a nice Fuji apple and some Trader Joe's Organic peanut butter to work for breakfast. First slice of apple spread with oooie-gooie peanut butter went flying out of my hand and landed ....yep, you guessed it, UPSIDE-DOWN on my keyboard! eek7.gif Let me tell you, it's difficult to clean....

I've been watching and reading this thread for awhile. Having been on many diets I know I have to be in the really "right frame of mind" to get started. I know in my heart I cannot go entirely vegan, but since I have already cut back on meat alot over the years, I'm going to attempt to eat more healthy. It's a good time to start with the holidays coming up....great excuse not to eat all those calories! Does anyone have a really good recipe for a meatless chili????? deal.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Good for you, Saurora! clap.gif I have trouble calling it a "diet" - my wife always says things like, "oh yeah, you can't have this on your diet"...the point is that I can have anything I want, I just don't happen to WANT the junk anymore. Not that I never eat badly, it's just not often.

Hope it works for you! You are certainly in a good area of the country to do it, tons of fresh local fruits and veggies out there in Califormia. thumb.gif
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Thanks for posting a link to that book, Mike, I've been looking for a good vegan cookbook. When I got back into photographer a few months back, I was leafing through smugmug and saw Baldy's blog and link to The China Study. I was intrigued. I had been living on Taco Bell and Dr. Pepper for the last 15 years, kinda knew I had to eat better, but never found much motivation to since my diet never made me "fat". I'm 6'2", and weighed 188. I read it, and read Eat to Live, and made the decision to go for it.

I always thought that most disease and health problems were based in genetics, with just a little bit of your diet in the equation, and figured as long as I was active and not overweight, that I'd be fine. Wow, my eyes were opened, and I felt empowered with the knowledge that I had much more control over disease than I ever imagined. So I took the plunge.

I'm almost 3 months into the diet, and I've lost 32 pounds - I'm back down near my college weight around 156. I feel great, I'm exercising more, and my friends and family have all seen the changes and are doing more to eat healthier as well, if not as drastically. So thanks smugmug, and dgrin, for all the inspiration. I've read this thread all the way through, and it's made it easier to stick to the new lifestyle when I see all the other success around me.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2007
    Vegitarian Joke
    Q.- What do you call a vegetarian with diarrhea?
    A. - A salad shooter.

rolleyes1.gif

I was doing really good after reading The China Study
    but Thanksgiving week was bad
    Turkey, stuffing, p'kin pie - I succumbed to the temptation - uh, more than a few times!
    I'm back on track this week, thoughthumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Does anyone have a really good recipe for a meatless chili????? deal.gif

As a matter of fact... http://beanland.wordpress.com/2007/02/22/vegan-chili-recipe-fabulous-and-bean-y/

:D

-Anne
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    gregneil wrote:
    Thanks for posting a link to that book, Mike, I've been looking for a good vegan cookbook. When I got back into photographer a few months back, I was leafing through smugmug and saw Baldy's blog and link to The China Study. I was intrigued. I had been living on Taco Bell and Dr. Pepper for the last 15 years, kinda knew I had to eat better, but never found much motivation to since my diet never made me "fat". I'm 6'2", and weighed 188. I read it, and read Eat to Live, and made the decision to go for it.

I always thought that most disease and health problems were based in genetics, with just a little bit of your diet in the equation, and figured as long as I was active and not overweight, that I'd be fine. Wow, my eyes were opened, and I felt empowered with the knowledge that I had much more control over disease than I ever imagined. So I took the plunge.

I'm almost 3 months into the diet, and I've lost 32 pounds - I'm back down near my college weight around 156. I feel great, I'm exercising more, and my friends and family have all seen the changes and are doing more to eat healthier as well, if not as drastically. So thanks smugmug, and dgrin, for all the inspiration. I've read this thread all the way through, and it's made it easier to stick to the new lifestyle when I see all the other success around me.

Thanks for posting! I love to read stories like yours. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Did I mention my background/education is in genetics? I found a really interesting article, with implications for the diet debate:
    For example, in China and most of Africa, few people can digest fresh milk into adulthood. Yet in Sweden and Denmark, the gene that makes the milk-digesting enzyme lactase remains active, so “almost everyone can drink fresh milk,” explaining why dairying is more common in Europe than in the Mediterranean and Africa, Harpending says.

He now is studying if the mutation that allowed lactose tolerance spurred some of history’s great population expansions, including when speakers of Indo-European languages settled all the way from northwest India and central Asia through Persia and across Europe 4,000 to 5,000 years ago. He suspects milk drinking gave lactose-tolerant Indo-European speakers more energy, allowing them to conquer a large area.

But Harpending believes the speedup in human evolution “is a temporary state of affairs because of our new environments since the dispersal of modern humans 40,000 years ago and especially since the invention of agriculture 12,000 years ago. That changed our diet and changed our social systems. If you suddenly take hunter-gatherers and give them a diet of corn, they frequently get diabetes. We’re still adapting to that. Several new genes we see spreading through the population are involved with helping us prosper with high-carbohydrate diet.”

reference article

ann
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    Interesting stuff, Ann. In 1900, the average age of puberty in America was 16-17 and it's dropped to 12-13 in a century. High dairy consumption is usually cited as the biggest factor. That has to help you conquer your foes when your fighting-age boys get bigger faster.

But on the other hand the #1 risk of prostate and breast cancer is your age of maturity, and how much dairy you had during those years. So what makes you strong young is not what makes you live a long life.

I found this little excerpt from Dr. Fuhrman to be fascinating. It has 4.5 million views on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZGgeGHU1Bs
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Cool. After watching that one, I watched a bunch of others, and liked this one. I think I'll do a math lesson with my kids in the kitchen this weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Cool. After watching that one, I watched a bunch of others, and liked this one. I think I'll do a math lesson with my kids in the kitchen this weekend!
    Hahaha, I'm such a freak I bought the whole DVD set of all the lectures. I ride my bike trainer the garage to train for a race I'm doing next April so I'm always looking for interesting stuff to watch.

I wonder how many people are like me and consider this interesting?
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    VERY few people are like you and train for ultramarathons! But I am like you in that I find this stuff interesting. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Hahaha, I'm such a freak I bought the whole DVD set of all the lectures. I ride my bike trainer the garage to train for a race I'm doing next April so I'm always looking for interesting stuff to watch.

Baldy,

My cousin-in-law is an avid cyclist, and is contemplating an Eat To Live diet, but is worried about workout energy. You have any resources he could read on keeping on this diet while training? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2007
    Aight I'm in. I mean, now that the semester is over, what else am I going to do with my time? lol3.gif

Actually, I'm already 90% of the way there: I don't eat processed sugars or starches, subsist off of mostly raw veggies and fruits, whole grains and have meat only once a week or so. Sweets are very rare. I think this is how I have kept the 45 lbs off of me over the last 3 years (and for someone who is 5'0 I actually think it's a miracle). But I want to do this for long-term health reasons, not necessarily to shave parts of me off. Though it'd be a nifty side-effect.

I think cutting out most of the dairy and limiting the meat to fish will be pretty simple and much better in the long run. Of course, without my husband taking up this new plan of attack it'll be a little harder but not entirely impossible. I always relish a challenge.

Theoretically it sounds very easy, but I think the concept of changing from a subconscious consumption of whole foods (as I am doing now) to the deliberate effort is a mental block that is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks, guys. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Aight I'm in.

clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus