Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    Another Tease
    Ok, I thought I would add a couple more tease pics to the thread. I headed up to the park last week for two nights, right as the latest storm hit. The first two days were quite bad from a photography standpoint, since it was either raining, snowing, foggy, or all of the above. We even had lightening and thunder during a blizzard, which I can say I've never seen before. However, as I had hoped, it cleared off for the last day I was planning to stay, revealing some amazing snow-covered views. I thought I would share a few with the pumped-up Yosemite crowd:

18390464-M.jpg

18390471-M.jpg

18390645-M.jpg

A few others are in this gallery:

http://aero-nut.smugmug.com/gallery/455843/1/18390464

From what I can tell, it is going to be an amazing spring at the park. The waterfalls are already at above average flow rates.

Point your browser to the following link for more flow info:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/conditions.htm

Click on "River flow information"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2005
    clap.gif Very cool! Thanks. My appetite is so wet I need a bib.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    So less than a month to go now. Who all is going to be there? Looks like My wife (Jen) and I will be able to show up Saturday, and maybe Friday. Who is going to be doing what and where?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    I'm contemplating..
    So less than a month to go now. Who all is going to be there? Looks like My wife (Jen) and I will be able to show up Saturday, and maybe Friday. Who is going to be doing what and where?
    ..the idea instead of driving directly to Yosemity, coming 1-2 days earlier to SF, spend some quality time there, gather with our local/US/european/australian/asian/etc friends, maybe even pay a "surprise" visit to SM Headquarters..:-)

Golden Gate, Colt Tower, Presidio, China Town,..
    SF has plenty of a places to warm up your lenses before hitting the main target:-)
    Anybody is interested in an "early brids" session?

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    I will be staying in SF on Thursday. I will have a car if anyone needs a ride to Yosemite on Friday morning give me a shout.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 7, 2005
    Shay,
    If you mean, who is going to be doing what at Yosemite? I believe Andy is looking at going with 4 teams of about 8-10 shooters per. There will be one leader per team and the Pro will rotate and shoot with each team at different times/sites. The other Pro, not you....lol I'm not sure if he's come up with a site agenda for the teams yet. Anything to do with food has all been taken care of already though......Laughing.gif The boy definitely has his priorities straight :lol

There will also be some folks who do not want to shoot with, or cannot keep up with, a group. So I'm pretty sure there will always be someone, or some group, heading out to shoot most of the major attractions, at any one time.

I am so glad to hear that you and your lovely wife will be joining us clap.gifclap.gif

See ya in about 4 weeks :-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Shay, how exciting!

I'd better hurry up and get my room reserved or I'll be sleeping in the car, Laughing.gif.

What a nice surprise that you and Jen will be coming out. Sure you can't drag Ulysses and his wife with you?
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    I'm coming up the coast early morn on Thurs. Want to get some of the pictures I missed on the Big Sur coastline last time through. Should be in SF around dark.......where do you have to be to get a picture of Golden Gate with sun going down behind it?

Also, where is everyone who will be in SF on thurs. meeting up at?

Looking forward to this! :D

Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    Crissy Field
    lark wrote:
    I'm coming up the coast early morn on Thurs. Want to get some of the pictures I missed on the Big Sur coastline last time through. Should be in SF around dark.......where do you have to be to get a picture of Golden Gate with sun going down behind it?

Also, where is everyone who will be in SF on thurs. meeting up at?

Looking forward to this! :D

Den

I usually go to Crissy Field to get the bridge and sunset shots. Free parking!

I have no idea where everyone is meeting up in San Francisco. I live just south of San Francisco, but no one has contacted me :):
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    Help! Which route to the park is best?????
    According to the map, if I head out the east bay toward 99, once I reach 99 there are 4 ways to get to the park.

Manteca? From 99 take 108, 120 to the park
    Modesto take 132 to 120 into the park
    Merced take 140 into the park
    Fresno take 41 into the park

I'm meeting someone in Manteca, our destination is Wawona, and I'm staying in Oakhurst

We're leaving in the wee hours of the morning on Friday from the San Francisco area.

I have to contact the hotel in Oakhurst which is supposed to be 13 miles from Yosemite (I'm assuming the border, not anything important, Laughing.gif) so I can check in or check in by their check-in time in the late afternoon/evening.

So which route is the shortest from Manteca?

Which route is the easiest to drive?

Which route is the quickest to drive?

And, most dangerous for me, which route is the most scenic?

Help anyone?????? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2005
    More like the pictures I'll try to take
    http://www.pbase.com/mityam/springyosemite

I'm starting my picture search, and came across this link. For a different view of Yosemite there are two galleries to visit! My favorite is this one:
    http://www.pbase.com/mityam/image/35943900

Now if I see that! WOW..... pray to the weather gods everyone!

And what I anticipate shooting with great glee!
    http://www.pbase.com/huanpham/image/29777902

Dee
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    Dee, if you are staying in Oakhurst, 41 from Fresno would probably be the easiest. But if you are coming from the North you would be backtracking a bit. You might want to take 140 into the park that will take you right into the valley, then you just need to head back up the hill past wawona, out of the park and down to Oakhurst. Oakhurst is only about 15 miles but about 10 of those miles are switchbacks and sometimes it's slow so allow 30 minutes or so.

Small warning though, taking 140 into the valley is dangerous for anyone with a camera, expect long delays haha

Hope that helps a little

Ed

Dee wrote:
    According to the map, if I head out the east bay toward 99, once I reach 99 there are 4 ways to get to the park.

Manteca? From 99 take 108, 120 to the park
    Modesto take 132 to 120 into the park
    Merced take 140 into the park
    Fresno take 41 into the park

I'm meeting someone in Manteca, our destination is Wawona, and I'm staying in Oakhurst

We're leaving in the wee hours of the morning on Friday from the San Francisco area.

I have to contact the hotel in Oakhurst which is supposed to be 13 miles from Yosemite (I'm assuming the border, not anything important, Laughing.gif) so I can check in or check in by their check-in time in the late afternoon/evening.

So which route is the shortest from Manteca?

Which route is the easiest to drive?

Which route is the quickest to drive?

And, most dangerous for me, which route is the most scenic?

Help anyone?????? Thanks!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    4labs wrote:
    I will be staying in SF on Thursday. I will have a car if anyone needs a ride to Yosemite on Friday morning give me a shout.
    wave.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited April 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    wave.gif
    You need a ride or just saying hello?

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Thanks Ed
    ehughes wrote:
    Dee, if you are staying in Oakhurst, 41 from Fresno would probably be the easiest. But if you are coming from the North you would be backtracking a bit. You might want to take 140 into the park that will take you right into the valley, then you just need to head back up the hill past wawona, out of the park and down to Oakhurst. Oakhurst is only about 15 miles but about 10 of those miles are switchbacks and sometimes it's slow so allow 30 minutes or so.

Small warning though, taking 140 into the valley is dangerous for anyone with a camera, expect long delays haha

Hope that helps a little

Ed

So you don't recommend taking 108 and 120 into the park from Manteca? Going down to Modesto and heading across on 132 to 120?

Oh, so 140 goes right into the valley at Yosemite, and I'd have to just "drive through" trying to get to Wawona by Noon? :):
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Maybe someone that usually comes from norht of Yosemite could chime in on the best route. My trip is straight up 41 to the park, or through Merced on 140.

Dee wrote:
    So you don't recommend taking 108 and 120 into the park from Manteca? Going down to Modesto and heading across on 132 to 120?

Oh, so 140 goes right into the valley at Yosemite, and I'd have to just "drive through" trying to get to Wawona by Noon? :):
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2005
    Thank you Ed
    ehughes wrote:
    Maybe someone that usually comes from norht of Yosemite could chime in on the best route. My trip is straight up 41 to the park, or through Merced on 140.

One more question, of the two routes, 41 or 140 which is the shortest?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited April 9, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    One more question, of the two routes, 41 or 140 which is the shortest?
    From Pacifica via 140 about 230 miles and 4 hrs drive time. This route takes
    you into the valley first. Then up 41 to Wawona.

From Pacifica via 41 about 240 miles and 4 hrs of drive time. This route
    takes you down 99 to Madera and then up 41 through Oakhurst to Wawona.

If you were to go 120, the route is 212 miles and just about 4 hours.

As you can see, it doesn't much matter which way you go :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Thanks Ian
    ian408 wrote:
    From Pacifica via 140 about 230 miles and 4 hrs drive time. This route takes
    you into the valley first. Then up 41 to Wawona.

From Pacifica via 41 about 240 miles and 4 hrs of drive time. This route
    takes you down 99 to Madera and then up 41 through Oakhurst to Wawona.

If you were to go 120, the route is 212 miles and just about 4 hours.

As you can see, it doesn't much matter which way you go :D

Ian

You're not making my choice any easier! :D

I went to the library today and got out 2 books on Yosemite. I'll be reading away.

Lots of high surf, lots of wind, lots of blue sky and sun... great day to be at the coast on Saturday.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    I know this is a silly question, but when are you all going? How long will we be alone here?

Sounds like a great trip, I hope you all have oodles of fun. I can get a book on Yosemete, not that I don't want to see what you all do with it, too.

But please get a shot of each other. You could put together like a yearbook page. My biggest regret that I am not going is that I will not be seeing you all, please share the people, in addition to the great scenery.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Hey Ginger...
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I know this is a silly question, but when are you all going? How long will we be alone here?

Sounds like a great trip, I hope you all have oodles of fun. I can get a book on Yosemete, not that I don't want to see what you all do with it, too.

But please get a shot of each other. You could put together like a yearbook page. My biggest regret that I am not going is that I will not be seeing you all, please share the people, in addition to the great scenery.

ginger

I'll try to get pictures, but you know, some of us are camera shy, like me!

The dates are May 6 Noon (Friday) to May 7 evening (Saturday). There may be some last sunrise get together before everyone heads off on Sunday. I can stick around until dark on Sunday because we just drive home, no plane to catch.

I don't have a schedule yet... (relax, Andy, I'm not nagging!)

I won't have a computer so I won't have access until I get home Sunday. My motel has Wi Fi (probably for an extra charge) but if I borrow my daughter's iBook, it's half broken and needs a new power adapter. So I'm not sure it's even worth taking with me. I just need to be able to offload my images to back them up. Or to buy a gig CF card. I'm not sure I have enough sticks and cards to get through the weekend.

So everyone will probably be uploaded except me on dgrin!
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    It'll take me even longer :D
    I'll be around SF untill the 15th, and back in the Netherlands by the 16th, 17th work.... So I'll be posptrocessing LOADS of pictures when I get home (I'll be taking a 2 week holiday mwink.gif) during the weekend afterwards!

See y'all soon!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Can any locals help me out here ?

I have emailed 'Wawona' twice in the last 3 or 4 days & cant seem to get a reply. Im arriving a day early now via steve & andy. Im trying to book a room for thurs night.

The room says "$115...does not include bath"

Is there some local lingo barrier here ie meaning that it hasnt a bath but has a shower ????

Ta gus
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 10, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Can any locals help me out here ?

I have emailed 'Wawona' twice in the last 3 or 4 days & cant seem to get a reply. Im arriving a day early now via steve & andy. Im trying to book a room for thurs night.

The room says "$115...does not include bath"

Is there some local lingo barrier here ie meaning that it hasnt a bath but has a shower ????

Ta gus
    Gus,
    It means no bathroom in the room. eek7.gif They are shared facilities. Most of the rooms in the Wawona do not have their own bathrooms ne_nau.gif

PM Andy if you need help with the room at the Wawona. He's knows the contacts and has a bit of pull there mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    Gus,
    It means no bathroom in the room. eek7.gif They are shared facilities. Most of the rooms in the Wawona do not have their own bathrooms ne_nau.gif

PM Andy if you need help with the room at the Wawona. He's knows the contacts and has a bit of pull there mwink.gif

Steve

nod.gif

nod.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    Gus,

Steve
    Ta mate...thats what i was starting to think. You fellas actually drink Dr Peppers so i know you can get a little weird at times.

Ill try & book now. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nod.gif

nod.gif
    Cool...just booked thurs night with communal shower.

Andy...you ever scrubbed another mans back before iloveyou.gif ?
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    ***official yosemite plans***
    friday, we'll be meeting at the wawona hotel at 2pm.

i will be dividing everyone into teams, we'll be having four teams. our team leaders are going to be: baldy, ian, ed and denny (lark). we'll have four shooting sessions, all around the magic hours (fri eve, sat morn, sat eve, sun morn). marc muench will shoot with each team, that way everyone gets to have some personal time with him.

we'll be using only two cars per team, as much as is possible, to cut down on the number of cars and complexity.

your meals and drinks etc on friday lunch, dinner, saturday breakfast, lunch and sunday meals are on your own. our team captains will be sure and point all of us to the available food choices for sandwiches, drinks, etc.

not only did i hack baldy's bank account, but i managed to get into the petty cash box over at headquarters, and so smugmug is hosting a wonderful bbq dinner saturday night at the yosemite lodge, in the valley, starting at 7pm for cocktails, 8pm dinner, 9pm dessert, coffee. while we're savoring same, we'll be treated to a landscape photography exhibition by our pro-in-residence, marc muench.

that's it. we're making this event really low-key, so the itinerary is loose.

i'm really excited about this trip!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    friday, we'll be meeting at the wawona hotel at 2pm.

i will be dividing everyone into teams, we'll be having four teams. our team leaders are going to be: baldy, ian, ed and denny (lark). we'll have four shooting sessions, all around the magic hours (fri eve, sat morn, sat eve, sun morn). marc muench will shoot with each team, that way everyone gets to have some personal time with him.

we'll be using only two cars per team, as much as is possible, to cut down on the number of cars and complexity.

your meals and drinks etc on friday lunch, dinner, saturday breakfast, lunch and sunday meals are on your own. our team captains will be sure and point all of us to the available food choices for sandwiches, drinks, etc.

not only did i hack baldy's bank account, but i managed to get into the petty cash box over at headquarters, and so smugmug is hosting a wonderful bbq dinner saturday night at the yosemite lodge, in the valley, starting at 7pm for cocktails, 8pm dinner, 9pm dessert, coffee. while we're savoring same, we'll be treated to a landscape photography exhibition by our pro-in-residence, marc muench.

that's it. we're making this event really low-key, so the itinerary is loose.

i'm really excited about this trip!

This sounds like a great trip Andy! Can I inquire about what is the appropriate dress code for dinner at the Yosemite lodge Saturday night? Jeans, or do we need a sports jacket or some such, or Dockers?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    This sounds like a great trip Andy! Can I inquire about what is the appropriate dress code for dinner at the Yosemite lodge Saturday night? Jeans, or do we need a sports jacket or some such, or Dockers?

come as you are. jeans/mountain-wear is just fine. we'll be going to dinner right from shooting :D