Options

SmugMug weekly maintenance window: Thursday night / Friday morning

WirelessWireless Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in SmugMug Support
SmugMug's weekly scheduled maintenance window is Thursday nights from 2200 Pacific to Friday morning 0300 Pacific.

We totally understand, downtime isn't fun, and you just might be one of the few that's up in the wee hours of the morning uploading photos. Unfortunately, there are cases in which we really need a time to bring the site down to perform various tasks and upgrade systems. This is one of the low points of the day/week, and it also coincides with our marathon feature testing/release night! We apologize if this impacts you.

Hopefully this gives you two gifts: Some extra sleep, and some new features to play with when you wake up all rested the next morning.

We will do our best to keep the work within the window, and we'll post to DGrin Thursday afternoon that we're going to be working that evening. Not all weeks will have new features or a need to perform maintenance.

The old Maintenance thread is here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2161

TIME CHART

10pm PST (California, USA) converts to these times locally
132913940-O.jpg

Time chart can be found at timeanddate.com.

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    May 24th Maintenance
    Hey all,

We expect to take the site down for a big feature release tonight during our normal maintenance window, assuming testing continues to go well. It'll likely be offline for the entire duration of our normal maintenance window.

We are going to try something new tonight. If it doesn't work, please don't kill me, but we're gonna try to put the site into 'Read Only' mode so people can still browse your photos, see them embedded out on the net, etc.

But that means you won't be able to upload new photos, log in, edit captions, leave comments, etc. Only view. There will be a big notice on the top of each page letting you know the site is currently undergoing maintenance, is in read-only mode, and may go offline at any time.

There will probably be a few minutes here and there where the site may not be as speedy, but if this test goes well, it should remain mostly online throughout maintenance.

Wish us luck!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    We are going to try something new tonight. If it doesn't work, please don't kill me, but we're gonna try to put the site into 'Read Only' mode so people can still browse your photos, see them embedded out on the net, etc.

Kudos for moving to a read-only update where the site keeps serving images during maintenace! That's a great move. I hope it works well tonight.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Don,

that sounds like a great maintenance feature, especially for us Europeans over here that get hit the complete Friday morning. wings.gif

I'm staying tuned to the release as well. clap.gif

All the best,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    Hey all,

We expect to take the site down for a big feature release tonight during our normal maintenance window, assuming testing continues to go well. It'll likely be offline for the entire duration of our normal maintenance window.

But that means you won't be able to upload new photos, log in, edit captions, leave comments, etc. Only view. There will be a big notice on the top of each page letting you know the site is currently undergoing maintenance, is in read-only mode, and may go offline at any time.

There will probably be a few minutes here and there where the site may not be as speedy, but if this test goes well, it should remain mostly online throughout maintenance.

Wish us luck!

We didn't finish testing in time, so we're waiting until next week.

Enjoy SmugMug tonight, everyone. :)
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    We didn't finish testing in time, so we're waiting until next week.

Enjoy SmugMug tonight, everyone. :)
    That's alright! We better have a properly tested release than a buggy one and still can wait another week. This also gives you maybe a little time to relax your bleeding eyes.
    I overslept the maintenance period anyways and I'm glad that I didn't miss the new read-only feature! :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Site Maintenance tonight, May 1st @ 10pm
    During our normal weekly scheduled maintenance window tonight, we’ll be making some database architecture changes.

We hope and anticipate that the site will remain up the entire time, though it may go into read-only mode for a short while. In the event we have to take the site offline, we’ll do everything we can to minimize the downtime.

Read About it, here

And subscribe to the feed of that blog to see be notified in the future, as well thumb.gif
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    During our normal weekly scheduled maintenance window tonight, we’ll be making some database architecture changes.
    Is this just to do with the N levels galleries? Or, is there something else more exciting? Like COUPON CODES, PACKAGES and/or Analytics plug-in? :ivar Perhaps something even more super-duper like AJAX based drag and drop gallery layout, etc..? clap.gif

David
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2008
    Oh bringing back an old thread containing "Hopefully this gives you two gifts: Some extra sleep, and some new features to play with when you wake up all rested the next morning" was just WRONG! Ya had me all excited till I read the date on it. Hope it's not just a behind the scenes database thing that we won't notice... :D

Dave
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2008
    Is tonight going to be new-features Thursday? mwink.gif
  • Options
    hrgphotohrgphoto Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    is it down again tonight? I do not see any photos and using the urls do not get me anywhere.. hope it's up again soon! I love smugmug!clap.gif

Edit:
    it's up again yeah!
    Best Regards, :nod
    Hannah
    www.hrgphoto.smugmug.com :clap
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2008
    So I'm getting the read-only message. Any idea how long that will be? I don't see anything about maintenance today in this thread and didn't get a message about it.

I do realize it is smack right in the middle of the weekly maintenance time and that was poor planning on my part. Just wish I had known about the maintenance or read-only mode in advance.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited August 8, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    So I'm getting the read-only message. Any idea how long that will be? I don't see anything about maintenance today in this thread and didn't get a message about it.

I do realize it is smack right in the middle of the weekly maintenance time and that was poor planning on my part. Just wish I had known about the maintenance or read-only mode in advance.
    Sorry for the hassle. You could expect a maintenance to happen every week during our scheduled window, then you would be on the safe side in terms of planning. More info on all maintenances when they do happen can be found on our wordpress blog.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2008
    Reminder, we update here too: http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Reminder, we update here too: http://smugmug.wordpress.com/
    Yargh, right in the middle of a 227 megabyte upload and emailing three clients to tell them their pics were online.

Oh well, you win some you lose some! Git 'er done, guys!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    PrimeTimePrimeTime Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2008
    SmugMug Weekly Maintenance 9-25 @ 10 PM PST
    Sorry for the short notice. We're going to have to take the site offline for a few hours to make some changes to our core switches.

We don't anticipate the site being offline for more then a few hours.

Apologize for the inconvenience.

PrimeTime
    SmugMug Server Surgeon
  • Options
    We'll be using the window tonight, folks, to install some new hardware. Updates will be posted here and on our status updates blog http://smugmug.wordpress.com
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    We'll be using the window tonight, folks, to install some new hardware. Updates will be posted here and on our status updates blog http://smugmug.wordpress.com

It's a shame that Dgrin was down during the same time. Yes, I know that's why you have the blog. Yes, I subscribe to the blog.

- Andy's blog update was at 9:56PM PDT.
    - I happened to notice at 10:43PM PDT (I was trying to write some docs for parents at my son's preschool on how to use AlbumFetcher).
    - FeedBlitz sent me a notice at 11:24PM PDT that SmugMug was down.

Yeah, so much for a blog being the solution to downtime notification.

So yes, this was during your weekly maintenance window. I suppose we've been lulled into complacency because uptime has been so good, and usually maintenance just means a red box at the top of every page (read-only mode), or worst-case, a cartoon with servers in the desert.

This time, it was this nasty error message:
    Internal Server Error - Read
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Reference #3.6b41a45.1222407709.1e68652

And what really gets me is that while SmugMug has time and time again said they will not send e-mails with outage notices, I was surprised to get this e-mail just last week from news@smugmug.com:
    Subject: [SmugMug] Quick News: Yo ho! Ye have metallic prints and more to sell...
    X-Mailer: SmugMug v1.0

On International Talk Like a Pirate Day ( http://www.talklikeapirate.com/ ) , the good Ship SmugMug stashed extra treasure in the hold. Landlubbers won't be seeing it until ye set yer prices, so cast your eyes on the booty ( http://smugmug.com/prints/catalog.mg ) and make some extra doubloons. Yarrr!

---
    See more news items: http://www.smugmug.com/news/

SmugMug hates spam as much as you do. You opted-in to receive News updates, but if you don't want them anymore, no worries. Just click here: https://secure.smugmug.com/homepage/settings.mg?settings=mail

OMG, I would so prefer to get notices about last-minute "hard" outages like this than what's new in the store.

Ah well, least now Dgrin is back up so I can whine about it somewhere. :-}
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
    Aha, it was maintenance.

Because Smugmug as well as Dgrin were down, I was already thinking of earthquakes etc.

Glad you're back online.
  • Options
    jirijiri Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    is smugmug down?
    I cannot access home smugmug site nor my own site, this is the error message i get

An error occurred while processing your request. 
    Reference #97.4c959d50.1222415307.3b18eb4 

thank you
    jiri
  • Options
    FuronoFurono Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    Server down browser page displays error
    Could you have something other than the following message display? This look bad to people trying to access. Thanks.

"
    Internal Server Error - Read

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Reference #3.eb41a45.1222415738.1c233a9

"
    or

"Gateway Timeout

The proxy server ..........

"
    Steve Nelson
    Tour Leader - DPRK
    Uri Tours
    SmugMug - photos.japanphotos.jp
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    darryl wrote:
    OMG, I would so prefer to get notices about last-minute "hard" outages like this than what's new in the store.

+1 on that! Please consider letting people "opt in" to email notification for outages.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    jiri wrote:
    I cannot access home smugmug site nor my own site, this is the error message i get

An error occurred while processing your request. 
    Reference #97.4c959d50.1222415307.3b18eb4 

thank you
    jiri

Yes, for scheduled maintenance.
  • Options
    robertodenisrobertodenis Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    I can t access my site
    Hello!

I dont have any idea of what s going on. My pics disappeared. I tried to find some information. I just read this " Power and Pro users with Custom Domains take note!! - Changes needed" but I dont understand anything.

Can you help? Thank you

RD

www.robertodenis.name

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Hello!

I dont have any idea of what s going on. My pics disappeared. I tried to find some information. I just read this " Power and Pro users with Custom Domains take note!! - Changes needed" but I dont understand anything.

Can you help? Thank you

RD

www.robertodenis.name

Smugmug weekly maintenance window!

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30979

=Matt=
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    BTW Andy when is the decision made to go down and who makes it? I'm assuming it's before 9:50 PM Thursday?

I'd really like to get an email at 5-6 PM on the Thursdays you think you might need to use the window.

Also, the error message tonight is especially nasty. Can we at least get the cartoon instead of the death-screen? You're getting a few new topics from users who are confused about such a "severe" appearance...

[edit @ 3 AM.] ...there we go, got the "window browsing mode" finally. Wish I could do some overnight uploading too, but it's all good! Just culled four events and processed three, I'm headin' to bed!

=Matt=
  • Options
    MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    Is it still down?
    Michelle
  • Options
    Hi Folks, we're sorry that the maintenance window's being used for longer than normal. Hopeful to have things back up soon! Stay tuned here.
  • Options
    FINAOFINAO Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    MRudland wrote:
    Is it still down?
    Michelle

I believe so... I can see my pictures, but can't do anything with them. I'm also unable to login.

It would be real nice if they could post a solid time when the site will be back up.

This banner has been at the top of the site for the past 5+ hours:

"The Sorcerers of Smug are adding new magic right now, so we're in window shopping mode. You can view all the photos you like, but for a few minutes we're unable to sell prints or take new photos or comments. Stay tuned! The SmugMug team"
  • Options
    darryl wrote:

Sending the emails is not a trivial thing, but I'd love it if we could. I know the Ops guys would, too. We can't always do that. I'll run a few more ideas by the guys after things settle down today.

For the SmugMug Status Update Blog, I don't have good solution to the feedburner email lag, does anyone? ear.gif We've been talking about that here, too. I do know that if you have subscribed to the feed in your [URL="htp://www.google.com/reader"]feed reader[/URL], you'll have it as soon as we post it.