Options

Canon 5D Mark II - Got One? Want One?

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    For you that purchased from Best Buy, now they have it on sale ( or price dropped? ) for $2564

I think you can get price match to lower your price.

Im not sure about Tallyns, are they honoring price match?rolleyes1.gif Maybe Andy can help us to pull some triggers, hehehe

Seriously?!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Seriously?!

Yeap, just go to Bestbuy.com, and add to cart, then print out, bring it to Best Buy, maybe you can get some money back.

Good Luck

On the other hand, for you that want to buy the lens kit, Canoga have IN STOCK

http://canogacamera.com/Canon-EOS-5D-MKII-Digital-SLR.aspx?CategoryID=7636
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Anybody seen this?

http://engagingfilms.com/

Seems like film and video is suddenly merging.......

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    benjamindicapriobenjamindicaprio Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 21, 2008
    Rebates
    You might wait until Canon comes out with their double rebate programs. The original 5D came out at the same price but you could buy it for $2100 new with if you bought a lense...like a cheap 50mm. Just a thought.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2008
    Zanotti wrote:
    Anybody seen this?

http://engagingfilms.com/

Seems like film and video is suddenly merging.......
    That's cool - and Smuggy too! thumb.gif
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Now that we have this camera that produces these massive files, has anybody found a good formula for exporting full-res (or close to) JPEGs for sending in e-mails? If I export at 100%, the files average about 20MB—way to big for an e-mail in general. I usually use Lightroom's Export command and have a preset for "full-size e-mail". What about to SmugMug? Can it handle 100% 21MP JPEGs gracefully? I wonder what the download times are going to look like.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Now that we have this camera that produces these massive files, has anybody found a good formula for exporting full-res (or close to) JPEGs for sending in e-mails? If I export at 100%, the files average about 20MB—way to big for an e-mail in general. I usually use Lightroom's Export command and have a preset for "full-size e-mail". What about to SmugMug? Can it handle 100% 21MP JPEGs gracefully? I wonder what the download times are going to look like.
    Email? lol3.gif Why email a file like this? Upload it to SmugMug - pro accounts allow up to 24 Megabytes and 48 Megapixels in size :D Then just send a link by email and let the recipient view the files on SmugMug.
  • Options
    DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    My 5D2 gets here today... ARASASOIDFO@#$%#*()$T%AESFASDHG

If I had hair I'd be tearing it out in anticipation!!!!!!
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    oh oh OH! Nice! You weren't hawking your tracking number were you? I knoew I was when mine was in transit! rolleyes1.gif

I am going to try shooting video soon and upload to smugmug! woo!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    oh oh OH! Nice! You weren't hawking your tracking number were you? I knoew I was when mine was in transit! rolleyes1.gif

I am going to try shooting video soon and upload to smugmug! woo!

Yup...

online_package_tracking.png
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Ted, I just grabbed 3x 16GB Extreme III from Adorama for $80 a piece, and supposedly after $100 rebate, each will be around $46ish

Or if you prefer 8GB UDMA Extreme IV, if you get 3, after $150 rebate, it should be around $30ish each.

I read on DP that Ultra II series CF are working just fine for 1080 video, so Extreme III series should be more than enough.

Wallet is getting thinner and thinner headscratch.gif

I got 3 8GB Extreme IV's from Adorama and yeah you're right w/ your estimates about the cost after rebate.

I'm thinking of picking up a single 16GB maybe extreme III later though just cuz the 3 8GB's still leave me feeling like I should have a slight cushion just in case. 3 8GB's though = about 900 pictures in RAW. I was averaging 300ish per 8GB card at the wedding I shot on Saturday...

Will post some of the amazing photos the camera took later this week when I finish editing! Takes a while for these poor RAW's to load in Lightroom ;_;
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Email? lol3.gif Why email a file like this? Upload it to SmugMug - pro accounts allow up to 24 Megabytes and 48 Megapixels in size :D Then just send a link by email and let the recipient view the files on SmugMug.

I never think to email links for individual photos. I have a power account and hopefully that will be happy with files of this size. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    I never think to email links for individual photos. I have a power account and hopefully that will be happy with files of this size. Thanks.

Taken from here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photos

You can add an unlimited number of JPEG, GIF, and PNG files to your SmugMug account. To store larger files and other file types<sup class="helpie" onmouseover="createHelpie(event,'','For+video+files%2C+see+below.','200');" onmouseout="removeHelpie(); ">?</sup>, you'll want to add a SmugVault.
    The current size limitations on photos are:
    • 12 megabytes for Standard and Power users
    • 24 megabytes for Professional users
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    WTF is this crap??? I HATE UPS!!!! I have never had anything from UPS show up on time... I ordered this Thursday night, it shipped FRIDAY, it's NEXT DAY AIR

attachment.php?attachmentid=26034&stc=1&d=1229965590

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill???
    Modus Imagery
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Gonna take my receipt and the online price of Best Buy's 5D2's body to see if I can get a price reduction!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Gonna take my receipt and the online price of Best Buy's 5D2's body to see if I can get a price reduction!!

good luck!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    //Leah
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    I gave up my old 5d to the friend who bought it last thursday, now I'm on holiday with a huge bag of lenses and my old IR converted 10D. I went into the shop where I have my preorder and bugged them yesterday (They are in my parents city, not where I normally live) I'm next on the list in the store so the boss got on the phone to Canon and started asking what kind of whiskey the rep drank. They now have 8 cameras arriving today :) This is why I support the dedicated camera stores.

Until I get a chance to play with the new camera here's a few IR photos of the New Zealand countryside from the window of a 737.....

440952634_XmYzf-L.jpg

440953811_x93q3-L.jpg

440958137_SqMUw-L.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    eek7.gifI am BLOWN AWAY with this camera, just got chance to really take photo of my daughter few mins ago, this is 100% Cropped, no editing in LR2, just exported RAW to JPEG, original JPEG size around 6MB.

100% Cropped in MS Paint (162KB)
    crop271.jpg

Resized (64KB)
    img_4557__large_403.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Check out that skin texture!! eek7.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Check out that skin texture!! eek7.gif

Wait til I show you some 35L + 5D2 wedding magic... still editing mwink.gif

Nice shot Vanquiz!
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    Wait til I show you some 35L + 5D2 wedding magic... still editing mwink.gif

Nice shot Vanquiz!

9496500-Ti.gif

Oooh!! can't wait!

They wouldn't price match for me because of the coupon! Oh well, I still got it for 2600 flat and that is pretty good! Although I thought they would give me the current price, 2524 with the 10% off too! Shoooot!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jedi6jedi6 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Santa picture
    440118591_VHwfy-L-1.jpg

This is from a recent photo shoot. I added an aged effect but not much else was done to this picture.

I love my 5D Mark II! wings.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Does the current RRS 5D bracket work or is everyone waiting for the new bracket? ear.gif
    New RRS Really Right Stuff BD 5D2-L Bracket arrived today, fits like a glove. It should, I helped 'em with the specs lol3.gif

There's two bigger rubber gasket openings on this, and that's the difference over the original plate.

20081223-k8uqya6fuskj31ufbmgyky4abx.jpg

20081223-83a75qs8mt5fnrm17p9at6d1n7.jpg

Side note, RRS also shipped me the L-plate for my G10s, IR & Color. :jfriend
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Some more tests:

441287447_hWDrd-X3.jpg

441286589_uBCEF-X3.jpg

441288500_CgnnA-X3.jpg

I really love this camera!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    The current size limitations on photos are:
    • 12 megabytes for Standard and Power users
    • 24 megabytes for Professional users

Yeah this is my original point: if I don't have a pro account, do I need to compress my JPEGs to stay under the 12MB limit?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Side note, RRS also shipped me the L-plate for my G10s, IR & Color. :jfriend

Is it just as huge on the ports-side of the camera as the 5D plate? Compared to my old 30D L-plate, the 5D plate was pretty large.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Yeah this is my original point: if I don't have a pro account, do I need to compress my JPEGs to stay under the 12MB limit?

My assumption would be that yes you need to upload files within the limit. On that note though, I've been exporting photos from RAW to JPG in Lightroom at 100% quality and they tend to be under the 12mb limit... not that I check file sizes when I upload though, I've got a pro account. i would have had photos already to post from the wedding... but lightroom got upset when I left to go shopping earlier and exported 30 then gave some memory error... so exporting the rest to JPG from Saturday now.........

Hopefully in the next day or two I will have something to show from the wedding :)
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    Pindy wrote:
    Rarely. Here's a case where it was ISO 12800, and 25,600 that were over 12mb SOOC JPGs:

20081129-gnw6hfgsym3jm6ieqxt3jxsbxk.jpg

I'm sure there will be certain files, at normal ISOs, that, once processed (but not upressed!) in Photoshop and Lightroom, are over 12Mb. But everytime I had such a file, if I chose JPG 11 instead of 12, in Photoshop, or 9of10 in LR, they were all under 12Mb.

We'll adjust our upload size limits if and when the SOOC JPGs become an issue.
  • Options
    norcalshooternorcalshooter Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2008
    B & H has the kit with the 24-105 in stock now (5am PST - 12/23), not sure how long that will last.
    They even have free UPS next day, should get it Wednesday...!!!

Didn't really want the lens since I love my 24-70/2.8, but what the hell.
    Might end up selling the 24-105, but Ill give it a try.

Oh happy day!!!!
    Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway.
    Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes. - Old Honda Manual
    --
    If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
    jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif][/FONT]
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2008
    You are going to love the 5D2!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com